Will The Uk Join Western European Time ??

TranceClubberTranceClubber Posts: 2,779
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Do you think that the UK should join western european time ?

i really think that the UK should use these time zones , id rather darker mornings than darker afternoons

Mid Summer

UK Time (BST)

SunSet - 9.55pm
SunRise - 4.40am

If British Summer time zone was in the european time zone

SunSet - 10.55pm
SunRise - 5.40am

I mean who wants to waste the light in the early mornings then

Mid Winter

UK Time (GMT)

SunSet - 4.10pm
SunRise - 8.20am

If UK Joined Western European time this is how it would be (Using our summer time zone in the winter )

If UK Used BST for the mid winter time

SunSet - 5.10pm
SunRise - 9.20am

Comments

• TheFirstCutTheFirstCut Posts: 7,306
    Forum Member
    I've always wanted us to joint CET / CEST.

Though went to Croatia and they are on CET / CEST but because of where they are it get's dark pretty early on (the opposite to us) they could do with being CET / CEST + 1 really.
  • London EyeLondon Eye Posts: 2,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate fiddling with my clock! :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not keen on the late winter mornings because that would mean I'd have to bike to school in the morning with shitty streetlights and could fall off and crack my skull open and die... :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,156
    Forum Member
    London Eye wrote: »
    you'd still fiddle with your clock twice a year, like now. Nothing really changes (except maybe you wouldn't fiddle with your clock one october as we move from BST to CET which are the same time)
    Forum Member
    London Eye wrote: »

Well even if we switched to CET (CEST in the summer) you'd still have daylight saving switching at the same time with the rest of Europe, unless the EU decided as a whole to drop day light saving.

However my PC clock adjusts automatically, my HDD / DVD recorder adjusts automatically, the kitchen clock adjusts automatically, don't have the Microwave switched on when not in use, so no issue there, the only item I have to alter manually is my wrist watch and that's just a case of pressing a button to enable DST or not.
  • 555555 Posts: 4,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, we'll just carry on with this crappy system for the foreseable future, because people will moan at having to change. British people don't like change. And we'll moan about it not changing. And we'll moan when we have to change the clocks. Enjoy!
  • TranceClubberTranceClubber Posts: 2,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chubbler wrote: »
    Not keen on the late winter mornings because that would mean I'd have to bike to school in the morning with shitty streetlights and could fall off and crack my skull open and die... :o

My friend in sweden manages fine and sunrise there is winter time is around 10.20am
  • muguguymanmuguguyman Posts: 3,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It sounds like a good idea and I agree with it. Unfortunately, I can't see it ever happening.
    Forum Member
    555 wrote: »
    No, we'll just carry on with this crappy system for the foreseable future, because people will moan at having to change. British people don't like change. And we'll moan about it not changing. And we'll moan when we have to change the clocks. Enjoy!

Even if we switched to CET (Central European Time) we'd change like the rest of Europe at the same time as we all do now over to summer time (CEST - Central European Summer Time).

When we move from GMT to BST the rest of Europe switches at the same time from CET to CEST, when we switch from BST to GMT the rest of Europe switches at the same time from CEST to CET.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    danny473 wrote: »
    My friend in sweden manages fine and sunrise there is winter time is around 10.20am

But what exactly would you do from 4.10pm - 5.10pm in December, that requires a change so badly?
    I would like an 11pm sunset but also I like the early mornings. Sometimes I meet up with my friends at 4am in town. Thats slightly retarded.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elpaw wrote: »
    you'd still fiddle with your clock twice a year, like now. Nothing really changes (except maybe you wouldn't fiddle with your clock one october as we move from BST to CET which are the same time)

if we did join the CET Time zone we would lose 2 hours sleep lol if it was 12.59am GMT Then BST +2 it be 3.00am

unless the last friday of march puts its clocks foward to BST then saturday BST+2

Or unless we dont put the clock backward during october then europe putting its clocks back then it be same then , and when spring comes we be in BST+2 :)
    Forum Member
    if we did join the CET Time zone we would lose 2 hours sleep lol if it was 12.59am GMT Then BST +2 it be 3.00am

unless the last friday of march puts its clocks foward to BST then saturday BST+2

I was talking about the october change, when 01:59 BST would become 02:00 CET
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was talking about the october change, when 01:59 BST would become 02:00 CET

I was re editing my post then
  • BraesBoyBraesBoy Posts: 3,817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, 14 posts and not a gripe about those whinging jocks or our farmers!! :D

Before anyone does start, i'm Scottish (as if you hadn't guessed) and i would actually favour moving the CET, as i don't mind it being dark in the morning till 10am if i get a lighter evening ... however, if we ever think about moving the clocks, i would hope it would be a devolved issue so that the Scottish people could have their say (we'll still vote on what happens to the rest of you though!!! :p )

Maybe it would help if they didn't make such a ballsup of the clock change we have at the mo. If you calculate the days either side of the winter equinox, you will find that we are around a month later in putting the clocks forward again .... in my view, it should be done end of February, not March! :)
    Forum Member
    By the way, western european time is the same as GMT. It's CET you are thinking of (WET is only used in Iceland, Ireland and Portugal)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    By the way, western european time is the same as GMT. It's CET you are thinking of (WET is only used in Iceland, Ireland and Portugal)

Ireland and potugal are the same as the UK iceland are the same as us in the winter but not in the summer
    Forum Member
    Ireland and potugal are the same as the UK iceland are the same as us in the winter but not in the summer
    Yes. That timezone is WET. So the question "Will The Uk Join Western European Time ??" is meaningless, as the UK is in WET. We just call it GMT.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. That timezone is WET. So the question "Will The Uk Join Western European Time ??" is meaningless, as the UK is in WET. We just call it GMT.

So we are already in it!!!!!

My god, there will be an outrage, those bloody EU hitlers have tricked us again .... where are those GMT-Martyrs when we need them, eh!!!

Bloody disgrace, bring back the imperial system, and dinosaurs!!! :D
    Forum Member
    BraesBoy wrote: »
    So we are already in it!!!!!

My god, there will be an outrage, those bloody EU hitlers have tricked us again .... where are those GMT-Martyrs when we need them, eh!!!

Bloody disgrace, bring back the imperial system, and dinosaurs!!! :D

Bring back dinosaurs?? There are plenty over on the Politics segment of DS.
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember the experiment back in 68-71 , I rememebr being dropped off in the dark at Nursery School by my Mum on her way to work and I did not like it at all, it was something bout leaving the house i nthe dark and my Mum going off in the dark that was just unsettling.

According to certain research the changing of the clock by one hour would reduce crime, accidents , increase tourism and result in better health , sorry but I dont buy that the changing of the clock by one hour will miraculously do all of that, especially crime and health, and as someone who works within the travel and tourism industry the light has no effect on tourism at all. Would more people come to the UK if we were on the same timezone as Paris ? no, what difference does it make.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bring back dinosaurs?? There are plenty over on the Politics segment of DS.

My god .... you have PROUD EUROPEAN in your profile .... isn't that treason?

It's that twisted metric system, it's rotted your brain!! :D
    Forum Member
    My god .... you have PROUD EUROPEAN in your profile .... isn't that treason?

It's that twisted metric system, it's rotted your brain!! :D

LOL :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOL :D

Hey, i'm only mocking some of the comments regarding the imperial system on here a week or so back!! .. i'm on your side mate :)
    Forum Member
    Hey, i'm only mocking some of the comments regarding the imperial system on here a week or so back!! .. i'm on your side mate :)

Yeah, I gathered you were! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    Wasn't there talk about England and Wales moving to CET and Scotland and Northern Ireland remaining as they are?

I'm all in favour of CET in the UK.