Sky Sports Cricket Coverage 2014

Comments

• Neil_HarrisNeil_Harris Posts: 1,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It seems that the JPL was a victim of its own success as it showed that there was a market for live tv sport on a Sunday afternoon. The Open golf, Wimbledon and British Grand Prix all moved to a Sunday in the early 1980's hence the decision to have Sunday Grandstand from 1981 which meant there was less time for JPL cricket. It's just sad that there's hardly any footage from JPL matches in the 1970's available to watch on youtube (although there is some stuff from the early 1980's).

I didn't realise that the Open/F1 was ever on any other day than Sunday?
    (Wimbledon only play on Sunday in exceptional circumstances)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Somewhat inspired by the last few posts of this thread, I have ordered a second-hand copy of "And Welcome to the Highlights", a book by Chris Broad that was published in 1999 to mark the end of BBC TV cricket coverage. I'm looking forward to seeing what's included and learning some more about the early days of BBC coverage (plus 70s, 80s) as it's a period I don't know much about as it was before my time.

£2.80 on Amazon. I'm in. Cheers
  • LanarkianLanarkian Posts: 7,565
    Forum Member
    In the terms of my life, any Sunday sport in the UK is a relatively recent phenomenon. In the early seventies, the Wimbledon men's final was on a Friday and the ladies' final was on a Saturday. The Open Golf was Wednesday through Saturday and the only Sunday sport I remember (in the sixties) was one-day cricket matches involving a group of cricketers (can't remember the details) playing some counties. I suspect this was after the Gillette Cup started in 1963. I can't find any mention in my old Playfair Cricket Annuals which suggests the matches were unofficial and specially arranged for BBC2.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IanFergus wrote: »
    In the terms of my life, any Sunday sport in the UK is a relatively recent phenomenon. In the early seventies, the Wimbledon men's final was on a Friday and the ladies' final was on a Saturday. The Open Golf was Wednesday through Saturday .

Blimey, I did mean the middle Sunday with my original post. I jut always assumed the mens final was Sunday.
    What about F1 then?
  • bosworth1485bosworth1485 Posts: 37
    Forum Member

The British GP moved to a Sunday in 1984 after being held on a Saturday for many years, thus bringing it into line with all other rounds. Wimbledon was mentioned in terms of the Men's Singles Final being scheduled on a Saturday until 1982 when it was moved to a Sunday. The Open Championship's final fourth round on a Saturday was in 1979, it moved to Sunday in 1980 and promptly clashed with the start of the Moscow Olympics. As a matter of course the BBC gave both events full coverage, the B&H final between Essex and Northants was also scheduled for the Saturday but was rained off and played on the Monday, again the BBC gave the cricket full coverage.
    Forum Member
    Blimey, I did mean the middle Sunday with my original post. I jut always assumed the mens final was Sunday.
    What about F1 then?
    I am not sure when the British F1 Grand Prix switched to Sundays but I was best man at a Saturday wedding in July 1973 and we were trying to keep tabs on the motor racing.
    Forum Member
    What about F1 then?
    Old memories again but I remember when a group of us drove down from Scotland (in a Hillman Imp) for the Rolling Stones concert in Hyde Park on a Saturday at the start of July 1969, it coincided with the Ladies' Singles Final at Wimbledon.
  • bosworth1485bosworth1485 Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    In the terms of my life, any Sunday sport in the UK is a relatively recent phenomenon. In the early seventies, the Wimbledon men's final was on a Friday and the ladies' final was on a Saturday. The Open Golf was Wednesday through Saturday and the only Sunday sport I remember (in the sixties) was one-day cricket matches involving a group of cricketers (can't remember the details) playing some counties. I suspect this was after the Gillette Cup started in 1963. I can't find any mention in my old Playfair Cricket Annuals which suggests the matches were unofficial and specially arranged for BBC2.

Those matches were probably the International Cavaliers versus various county sides and were the predecessor to the Sunday League. See some action here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N77TIGZqzc
  • kentkiwikentkiwi Posts: 67
    Forum Member

It was the International Cavaliers, a hugely important part of cricket history now largely forgotten. They showed how popular one-day cricket could be on TV. Without the Cavaliers there would not have been the John Player League, the World Cup or Kerry Packer, not as soon anyway. The Cavaliers were a collection of retired players (eg Denis Compton), overseas players in England to play in the leagues (Sobers was a regular) and some current players, including current England players. Though they did not begin as a Sunday afternoon TV team that is what they became, occupying the new BBC 2 channel on a Sunday afternoon. 40 overs a side fitted the time available, so beginning the format that lasted in England until last year. It was so successful that the John Player League was set up using the same format.

I've written about the Cavaliers here: http://mylifeincricketscorecards.blogspot.co.nz/2010/06/international-cavaliers-kent-v.html

Extract from Somerset v International Cavaliers 1966 with John Arlott commentating here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N77TIGZqzc
  • kentkiwikentkiwi Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    Those matches were probably the International Cavaliers versus various county sides and were the predecessor to the Sunday League. See some action here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N77TIGZqzc

You are much faster than me!
  • jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could we ever see a Kevin Pieterson Saturday Story series, going back to his Childhood in South Africa, and covering up to his fall outs and axing from the England Team.

Or has too much happened
  • MGBCTVMGBCTV Posts: 1,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't Sky Sports have a documentary about him about 3/4 years ago.
  • jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MGBCTV wrote: »
    Didn't Sky Sports have a documentary about him about 3/4 years ago.

You could be right but loads has happened since
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 185
    Forum Member
    India v West Indies - good news, Mikey Holding on commentary. Even better news - no Ravi Shastri!
  • Alex2606Alex2606 Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    India v West Indies - good news, Mikey Holding on commentary. Even better news - no Ravi Shastri!

You won't hear anything from Shastri on commentary for a while as he'll be continuing his role with the Indian team up until the World Cup
  • BhaveshgorBhaveshgor Posts: 9,312
    Forum Member
    Surprised to hear Michael Holding didn't he previously refuse to work for BCCI TV or not like to be told not to say certain things on air.

Annoyed Star/BCCI are employing the B Team although I suspect Ganguly, Dravid, Manjreaker and the rest are getting a rest before the massive Australia tour for them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 185
    Forum Member
    Alex2606 wrote: »
    You won't hear anything from Shastri on commentary for a while as he'll be continuing his role with the Indian team up until the World Cup

I'm perfectly aware of that, thank you. Just communicating my delight that I won't have to listen to his inane shouting in the comms box.
  • Alex2606Alex2606 Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm perfectly aware of that, thank you. Just communicating my delight that I won't have to listen to his inane shouting in the comms box.

You're welcome.....
  • tim456tim456 Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    Sky are showing NZ v Sri Lanka Live on SS2/SS1 and Red Button when Aus v India is taking place so plenty of cricket to watch over Christmas/New Year when you also include SA v WI.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tim456 wrote: »
    Sky are showing NZ v Sri Lanka Live on SS2/SS1 and Red Button when Aus v India is taking place so plenty of cricket to watch over Christmas/New Year when you also include SA v WI.

I wonder if they will show the 1st session on the main channel, as it will start at 9/10pm
  • tim456tim456 Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    I wonder if they will show the 1st session on the main channel, as it will start at 9/10pm
    I believe that's the plan.
  • Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just wondering, why is live overnight cricket on Sky usually listed as two seperate programmes on the EPG?

Take the current ODI between New Zealand and South Africa as an example. The programme is shown on the EPG as 10.25pm to 6.00am and 6.00am to 6.30am. Why not just show it as one programme?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good coverage on Sky of NZ v SA. Who are the host broadcasters
  • mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    Good coverage on Sky of NZ v SA. Who are the host broadcasters

SKY Sports NZ
  • BhaveshgorBhaveshgor Posts: 9,312
    Forum Member
    Sky sport nz tend to be the best now love their coverage and commentators especially Ian smith.