Tasks - animal cruelty ?

I've seen that one of the guys from BBC's Autumnwatch apparently complains to the Celeb program bosses each year about the cruelty to the animals and insects just to provide entertainment for the masses .

Any thoughts peeps .

Comments

• WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He'll get no argument from me.
  • Fried KickinFried Kickin Posts: 60,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't care .. I kill mosquitoes on sight.
  • hoppyuppyhoppyuppy Posts: 10,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zidane82 wrote: »
    I've seen that one of the guys from BBC's Autumnwatch apparently complains to the Celeb program bosses each year about the cruelty to the animals and insects just to provide entertainment for the masses .

Any thoughts peeps .

It would definitely be cruel to force a snake to go into Edwina Curries pants, might be worth asking John Major for his opinion.:o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think about all the broken bones the small crocs, lizards, rats etc must get when being trampled over, shoved out the way, trod on etc.
  • intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    PJ2 wrote: »
    I think about all the broken bones the small crocs, lizards, rats etc must get when being trampled over, shoved out the way, trod on etc.

So do I. Just because they are seen as disgusting or scary animals doesn't mean they should be mistreated. Imagine if there was a task where they had to rummage through dead dog guts or trample over cats to reach for a star. There would be outrage
  • Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't bear the tasks - it's just disrespectful and sometimes cruel to living creatures. Even the way the insects are kept is inhumane (in plastic containers piled on top of each other)
  • king_kong1king_kong1 Posts: 1,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Animal rights groups are angry about the treatment of animals in 'I'm A Celebrity'..

They're particularly concerned about the Elephant with blonde hair.
  • SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The animal / insect angle is why I don't watch anymore. I don't like that they eat insects while they're still alive, or how they're just left to fall to the ground in the tasks where a box suspended high up opens and drops the celebrity at the end, or how they're just generally flung over someone / into somewhere to be swatted around and splattered. Some people say "Well, they're only insects", but they're living creatures regardless.

Also, I don't think that it's best for animals to be, for example, put in a small area with someone who may start freaking out and thrashing around, etc (like the rats in the coffin tasks they've done several times).

Basically, I just don't like the idea of using living creatures as props and harming / scaring them in the process.

I'll admit, this stuff didn't used to cross my mind so much, but in the last couple of years it has and I wouldn't be able to enjoy the show anymore. I've become a big softie where animals, insects etc are concerned. I'm pretty scared by bigger spiders but I even hate it when someone kills one of them. I'm like "There's a big spider, can you get it? BUT DON'T KILL IT!!". :blush:

Before anyone asks why I'm in the IAC forum then, I was on the main forum page and saw this topic so thought I'd share my two cents. :cool:
  • CosyaCosya Posts: 4,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In fairness the way tinchy was throwing stuff around that monitor lizard and hitting the snakes in the face it is animal cruelty.
  • kirbyreedkirbyreed Posts: 1,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah, i agree about tinchy and the snakes. snakes are my biggest phobia but it still wasn't nice to see them get hit by the allen key.
  • Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kirbyreed wrote: »
    yeah, i agree about tinchy and the snakes. snakes are my biggest phobia but it still wasn't nice to see them get hit by the allen key.

That was the one I registered, when he was turning the star at speed and jamming the points into the snake's side.
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    It's alright complaining about this, but does anybody consider the animals and their right to earn a living? For some, this will be their big break into more TV work, and it is arrogant of people to want to deny them that.
  • SylviaSylvia Posts: 14,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    idlewilde wrote: »
    It's alright complaining about this, but does anybody consider the animals and their right to earn a living? For some, this will be their big break into more TV work, and it is arrogant of people to want to deny them that.

That's not funny - unless you're referring to animals of the human kind. :kitty:
  • charlie1charlie1 Posts: 10,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PJ2 wrote: »

That's what I think about too. :(
  • NichoNicho Posts: 4,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would imagine there are all sorts of takes we're not allowed to see where the panicking celebrities trample on and harm the animals and insects which they're in such close proximity to. We never see it, but it must happen all the time.
  • GeorgiecatsGeorgiecats Posts: 6,628
    Forum Member
    I think in the underwater one Jimmy did some of the bearded dragons ? fell through into box below and they don't swim so they would drown. It is cruel in that way as they don't get a choice about shoved in a box. No wonder they panic and lash out but people only seem to feel sorry for the celebs.
  • andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    Eating the live bugs is a bit cruel imo
  • O'NeillO'Neill Posts: 8,721
    Forum Member
    I think in the underwater one Jimmy did some of the bearded dragons ? fell through into box below and they don't swim so they would drown. It is cruel in that way as they don't get a choice about shoved in a box. No wonder they panic and lash out but people only seem to feel sorry for the celebs.

They were Australian Water Dragons, a semi aquatic species. Not that I agree with animal tasks being allowed though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do feel for the rats especially when they are released in big numbers, they must get trod on a lot. If it was hamsters people would be worrying they'd be squashed.
  • SucmedicSucmedic Posts: 1,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP .... Shut up :p
  • kaylz23kaylz23 Posts: 447
    Forum Member
    I thought the dragon with Tinchy seemed terrified which is why it was whipping it's tail around, it wasn't trying to attack him imo, it was purely scared...

I've never really liked the eating of the live insects, I don't like spiders but I never kill them.

I remember a few year back wasn't there a big out cry because Gino killed a rat to eat, however they eat insects in the trials :confused:
  • fischfisch Posts: 9,684
    Forum Member
    What I dont get is why any one of you is even watching the show if this is how you feel.
  • pumpkinlattes33pumpkinlattes33 Posts: 8,326
    Forum Member
    I agree - I feel so sorry for the animals

I hate being part of the human species sometimes
  • EvannahEvannah Posts: 1,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the one bit of IAC I dislike. Some of the animals are really mistreated, especially the larger animals like reptiles.
  • kaylz23kaylz23 Posts: 447
    Forum Member
    fisch wrote: »
    What I dont get is why any one of you is even watching the show if this is how you feel.

I watch it for the craic in camp, the trials for me aren't the most entertaining because we've seen it all before now. I enjoy the secret tasks, the drama and the arguements etc :D