Are you meant to eat garnish?

GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
Forum Member
✭✭
I usually do but I don't know sometimes.

Sometimes it's a bit wilted or has been fingered too much, but you should clean your plate right? Or is the classy thing to do to leave it as its decor.
:confused:

Poll 50 votes

Leave
26% 13 votes
Eat
74% 37 votes

Comments

• ChoccyCaroleChoccyCarole Posts: 8,867
    Forum Member
    I don't think you are supposed to eat the garnish
    ..but I always do
  • Christian_GreyChristian_Grey Posts: 1,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glowbot wrote: »
    I usually do but I don't know sometimes.

Sometimes it's a bit wilted or has been fingered too much, but you should clean your plate right? Or is the classy thing to do to leave it as its decor.
    :confused:

Where the f*ck do you eat?!:eek:
  • WinterFireWinterFire Posts: 9,509
    Forum Member
    Depends what it is. Gari - that pink pickled ginger that you get with Japanese food - oh yes.
  • LaChatteGitaneLaChatteGitane Posts: 4,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like Gordon Ramsey says, if it's not meant to be eaten, don't put it on the f*cking plate.
  • GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like Gordon Ramsey says, if it's not meant to be eaten, don't put it on the f*cking plate.

Lol! I love that :)
  • fizzle90fizzle90 Posts: 6,467
    Forum Member

Love it :D

And yes, I do eat garnish.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Third option :depends!

If it's fresh and appealing, yes but if it's a drab old bit of tomato and lettuce, then leave it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If it's fresh and appealing, yes but if it's a drab old bit of tomato and lettuce, then leave it.

What about something pretty like a carved radish? A local Chinese restaurant has these, they are carved by this little old lady and she puts them in water and they come out like roses.
  • fatsifatsi Posts: 10,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yep.
    First thing that popped in my head when I read the thread!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I wouldn't call a drab old bit of tomato and lettuce garnish and I would send it back for fresh

Garnish should be a part of the dish served and thus needs to be eaten.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,907
    Forum Member

Exactly. Can't stand pointless additions to food.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't call a drab old bit of tomato and lettuce garnish and I would send it back for fresh

Garnish should be a part of the dish served and thus needs to be eaten.

But if I order and expect just a plain toasted sarnie, for instance, how can I complain if they choose to try and 'dress' it up?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But if I order and expect just a plain toasted sarnie, for instance, how can I complain if they choose to try and 'dress' it up?

Whatever you order, if they choose to put garnish on the plate it has to be edible and fresh
    That's not to say you have to eat it even if I do eat all the vegetables on my plate, always.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whatever you order, if they choose to put garnish on the plate it has to be edible and fresh
    That's not to say you have to eat it even if I do eat all the vegetables on my plate, always.:)

You'd like to think so but if garnish is not mentioned on the menu or expected by the customer surely it's best to just leave it?

Also, it may well be fresh and edible but as I said earlier just 'drab'.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    Doesn't it depend what it is?

A 'salad garnish' gan be quite substantial, and well-worth eating.

A sprig of rosemary - no.
  • littlefrolittlefro Posts: 3,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer that any salad and herbage with my starter is kept to the minimum..Say it's deep fried camambert, I'll only eat the necessary amount of greenery to get a change in flavours. Otherwise no, I like to leave room for what comes next.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Youre not meant to eat garnish but I agree with all what has been said above.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My personal unfavourite is when you order a full English breakfast and it comes spattered with finely chopped parsley.

Usually I love parsley but in this context it puts me right off.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My personal unfavourite is when you order a full English breakfast and it comes spattered with finely chopped parsley.

Usually I love parsley but in this context it puts me right off.

I've heard of this but never experienced it. Where does it happen and who on earth thought it would be a good idea?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi earthling,

I've found the more upmarket the hotel/pub/restaurant, the more likely the spattered atomised parsley phenomenon is!

I wouldn't mind if it was just a whole leaf or two which I could pick off (and probably munch :D), it's when it's so finely chopped that it's impossible to disentangle from the fry up.

For me it's like someone went to a lawnmower, took a teaspoon of cuttings out and then sprinkled them from a great height onto my lovely breakfast.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went to a 2 star Michelin restaurant, and there was a kind of pea shoot thing on the dessert. I ate it but it was odd. Clearly decor.
  • vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    barneyboy wrote: »

Rubbish
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,907
    Forum Member
    barneyboy wrote: »

Of course you are.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi earthling,

I've found the more upmarket the hotel/pub/restaurant, the more likely the spattered atomised parsley phenomenon is!

I wouldn't mind if it was just a whole leaf or two which I could pick off (and probably munch :D), it's when it's so finely chopped that it's impossible to disentangle from the fry up.

For me it's like someone went to a lawnmower, took a teaspoon of cuttings out and then sprinkled them from a great height onto my lovely breakfast.

I thought as much. Perhaps these places overdo the garlic in their evening meals and think the customers morning breath needs sorting! :D

TBH I really can't remember the last time I had a full English apart from at home and that's very rarely. I find a big fried breakfask makes me feel slugish for the rest of the day.
  • Roni_JRoni_J Posts: 925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't think I ever not ate the garnish even when a little odd, like salad leaves and a couple of slices of strawberry on a main course. I think the restaurant used them instead of tomato as someone else had a salad that was full of strawberry.