Festival of Remembrance

Bonnie ScotlandBonnie Scotland Posts: 2,211
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Appreciate this isn't an entertainment show/prog as such but just wanted to mention that it's on. I further appreciate there are differing views on both war and the remembrance of, however from my perspective, the outcome of these wars over the decades has ensured that we live in a free democratic country, something i further feel is often (understandably perhaps) taken for granted. I therefore feel televised events such as this are important even though they are not entertainment.

Comments

• davie1924davie1924 Posts: 2,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pity Joss Stone murdered Green Fields of France though, TMTCH do a far superior and touching version.
  • SecretLifeoBeesSecretLifeoBees Posts: 50,866
    Forum Member
    Must admit surprised there wasn't a thread as I am sure there have been threads other years.
    Good service so far, although Joss Stone was a low point as is the incessant clapping along from the audience.
  • Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trending high on twitter so plenty watching,
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An excellent production so far
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davie1924 wrote: »
    Pity Joss Stone murdered Green Fields of France though, TMTCH do a far superior and touching version.

Was that performed? That's a beautiful Irish folk song about WW1.....I must see if it's uploaded to Youtube.
  • owlloverowllover Posts: 7,980
    Forum Member

Oh I thought that was dreadful.

Loved the War Horse scene and this ''In Flanders Fields'' is beautiful.

Oh! A German contribution. That's new and right imo.
  • GPWGPW Posts: 3,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another excelent coverage by the BBC - my utter most rspect to Royal British Legion.
  • Keith_13Keith_13 Posts: 1,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not watched in years, expected more Poppy's to fall
  • GPWGPW Posts: 3,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Abide with me - always gets to me.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,923
    Forum Member
    Felt for the young AF personnel reciting that piece just now.
    Two of them were so nervous.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Joss's performance tonight wasn't a patch on the recorded version. That's very soulful and emotionally charged. Didn't work live.
  • Bonnie ScotlandBonnie Scotland Posts: 2,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the word enjoyed can be used, i've done just that.
  • TellystarTellystar Posts: 12,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What does TMTCH stand for?
    I find the Fureys version moving and meaningful sung at a slower pace
    I f think the Joss Stone version , jazzed up and shrieking , was a big disappointment
  • dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    Lovely service. The only bad point was Joss Stone. Just dreadful!!
  • owlloverowllover Posts: 7,980
    Forum Member
    GPW wrote: »
    Abide with me - always gets to me.

Me too -always.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,923
    Forum Member
    Why does the person who shouts commands at the parade always look and sound like a psycho?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    Was that performed? That's a beautiful Irish folk song about WW1.....I must see if it's uploaded to Youtube.

It's not an Irish folk song. "No Man's Land" was written in the 1970s by a scot named Eric Bogle.
    His is still the best version. Also called 'The Green Fields of France', a title it was given by the Irish group The Furies.
  • davie1924davie1924 Posts: 2,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tellystar wrote: »
    What does TMTCH stand for?
    I find the Fureys version moving and meaningful sung at a slower pace
    I f think the Joss Stone version , jazzed up and shrieking , was a big disappointment
    Sorry, The Men They Couldn't Hang - check out their live version on You Tube
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pentax20 wrote: »
    It's not an Irish folk song. "No Man's Land" was written in the 1970s by a scot named Eric Bogle.
    His is still the best version. Also called 'The Green Fields of France', a title it was given by the Irish group The Furies.

I've listened to all the other versions, and while they are all better than Joss Stones'sversion, I still find the haunting version by the Fureys by far the best.
    I cannot imagine why Joss Stone was asked to do this tribute.
    It was embarrassingly bad.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry, The Men They Couldn't Hang - check out their live version on You Tube

I did, iit's good, but really not as good as the Fureys, in my opinion anyway.
    Even Eric Bogle's own version isn't either.
    I didn't realise there were so many versions.
    It's a beautiful song, and so apt for this occasion.
    What a shame they asked Joss Stone to do it.
    I think it's on sale for charity.
  • GeorgiecatsGeorgiecats Posts: 6,628
    Forum Member

My ears! She screeched and shouted her way through that song. I heard the odd word i.e. 19, and 1916 but think that was her choir actually. I had no idea of the words she was "singing". She was dreadful. Otherwise a very moving and also uplifting Festival. In a country where it seems you're not allowed to be British any more - I'm proud to be British.
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My ears! She screeched and shouted her way through that song. I heard the odd word i.e. 19, and 1916 but think that was her choir actually. I had no idea of the words she was "singing". She was dreadful. Otherwise a very moving and also uplifting Festival. In a country where it seems you're not allowed to be British any more - I'm proud to be British.

Yes they were about the only words I heard too. This ceremony rather demands clarity and the whole production of the song was never going to provide that.
    Should just stick with the likes of Blake.
  • goldberry1goldberry1 Posts: 2,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only saw part of it but was very moved by the poem and the lovely song from the D Day veterans at the beginning.

Joss Stone murdered her song - just awful.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Appreciate this isn't an entertainment show/prog as such but just wanted to mention that it's on. I further appreciate there are differing views on both war and the remembrance of, however from my perspective, the outcome of these wars over the decades has ensured that we live in a free democratic country, something i further feel is often (understandably perhaps) taken for granted. I therefore feel televised events such as this are important even though they are not entertainment.
    I totally agree

The uniform of one of the Grenadier guards looked like a sack of potatoes.
  • Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Glad it wasn't just me. Her diction was awful. Mind you so is Katherine Jenkins. They need stay away from acts like Joss Stone as she jarred in an otherwise superb production.