[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
Forum Member
✭✭
Are they any good as pets ?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member
    They apparently make adorable pets. Contrary to popular opinion they are meant to be very clean. They are also intelligent and loyal.

I'd love a couple of piggy wiggies! There are dwarf versions that are popular at the moment but I'd love a couple of big ol' sows!
  • Options
    xdowxdow Posts: 2,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    depends on what kind of pig you want

the guinea variety have seen me very well over the years :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are expensive to keep but absolutely adorable animals. We had 2 large blacks in 2008 and they are clean, not to smelly and very tasty. They went in the freezer about 3 weeks before Christmas and provided a lovely roast. We're having more this year probably 3 though and maybe a different breed.

There are certain regulations about keeping pigs purely for animals as pets, you can't keep sows forever. Buying the piglet, feeding, slaughtering and such can rack up a fair bit but definitely worth it.
  • Options
    Kittycat73Kittycat73 Posts: 2,958
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I looked into getting some miniture pigs last year or so. Because of foot and mouth there are a lot of regulations though. When I looked you had to have a concreated area as well as grassy for the pig. Also, if you wanted to take it for a walk a vet would have to check the route first and I iirc give you a certificate if it was acceptable. Obviously a private vet doing that would cost heaps! I believ there are a lot of expensive vacinations pigs need on a regular basis too?
    Maifa, not being rude but I believe the OP was asking about pets, like a cat, I don't think they want one to rear and kill!
  • Options
    owlloverowllover Posts: 7,980
    Forum Member
    Like this one? I watch this most mornings for my day's happiness shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wic_MjEyBM
  • Options
    owlloverowllover Posts: 7,980
    Forum Member
    kittycat if you're right I'm so glad.

I'd hate to see these tiny piggies become a fashion item and then discarded.
  • Options
    the.watsonthe.watson Posts: 1,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I keep 3 for the eggs!