Options

Jennifer Phillips is again this year!!

Comments

• Options
    xfactorisgr8xfactorisgr8 Posts: 20,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved Jennifers audition but from then on it was downhill.

Her six chair performance was very very very shouty and abit of a mess if I am honest.
  • Options
    jerefprdterrajerefprdterra Posts: 30,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved Jennifers audition but from then on it was downhill.

Her six chair performance was very very very shouty and abit of a mess if I am honest.

Cant agree with you what so ever. Jennifer was the class act of last year and was robbed because SC put the muppet acts through to the lives instead.
  • Options
    big bang theorybig bang theory Posts: 4,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's hope she's learned the difference between singing and shouting.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cant agree with you what so ever. Jennifer was the class act of last year and was robbed because SC put the muppet acts through to the lives instead.

Mainly Bupsi who you supported at the time
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    Mainly Bupsi who you supported at the time
    No, I was talking about acts like Mason who should not have got past the first audition.
  • Options
    mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    No, I was talking about acts like Mason who should not have got past the first audition.

my memory might not be as good as it used to be but i dont think jennifer was in the under 25 boys category so not sure mason making it to the lives stopped her from doing so
  • Options
    satellitesatellite Posts: 8,181
    Forum Member

Now Jeref, Mason didn't exactly take Jennifer's place away from her did he, as he was in the boys category, not the overs.

As Blondie says, Bupsi was the one in her category who should have been forfeited for Jennifer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mimik1uk wrote: »
    my memory might not be as good as it used to be but i dont think jennifer was in the under 25 boys category so not sure mason making it to the lives stopped her from doing so

Was just going to respond but mimik said it all for me.

Unless I missed something, Mason wasn't in the same category as Jennifer and wasn't mentored by Cowell so its a completely moot point.

I don't disagree that she was good enough to get in ahead of Bupsi but Cowell had a bit of an obsession with the fact the public would love her - how wrong could he be?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mimik1uk wrote: »

Oops, sorry - snap :blush:

Great minds think alike though.
  • Options
    DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 110,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    If they are going for a middle aged feel this year and have given up on a young audience as the panel suggests, she will probably slot in with Osbourne or Walsh for a dated ballad fest
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DUNDEEBOY wrote: »
    If they are going for a middle aged feel this year and have given up on a young audience as the panel suggests, she will probably slot in with Osbourne or Walsh for a dated ballad fest

I don't get this young audience thing myself. I imagine most youngsters wouldn't be seen dead staying in on a Saturday night to watch a light entertainment show like bloody X Factor, Rita Ora or no Rita Ora. It's a middle aged programme, always has been (of course I include myself in that bracket)!

Sharon, Simon, Louis.....just what the doctor ordered, widow twanky and a couple of ugly sisters - let the panto begin.

But going back to Jennifer, you're right, they'll laden her down with schmultzy ballards.
  • Options
    DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 110,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    satellite wrote: »
    I don't get this young audience thing myself. I imagine most youngsters wouldn't be seen dead staying in on a Saturday night to watch a light entertainment show like bloody X Factor, Rita Ora or no Rita Ora. It's a middle aged programme, always has been (of course I include myself in that bracket)!

Sharon, Simon, Louis.....just what the doctor ordered, widow twanky and a couple of ugly sisters - let the panto begin.

But going back to Jennifer, you're right, they'll laden her down with schmultzy ballards.

I have no issue if they just admit they want older viewers and the panel would suggest they have given up on chasing the lost young audience .

However if folks have been fed up with the dated ballad fest in recent years it will be upped to the max this year .

Nicole will get the girls then as she will be seen as the only remotely current act to have as your mentor , Osbourne and Walsh will get the overs groups . Simon probably the boys
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    satellite wrote: »

Yep. It's s show for the middle aged and the under 16s. Most other people are out on a Saturday and have zero interest. The only people I know who watch are parents on the weekends they haven't got much on.

As for Jennifer, sadly you're right. The thinking will be 'older black female = Whitney ballads in a badly fitting sparkly ball gown'
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Blondie X wrote: »
    Yep. It's s show for the middle aged and the under 16s. Most other people are out on a Saturday and have zero interest. The only people I know who watch are parents on the weekends they haven't got much on.

As for Jennifer, sadly you're right. The thinking will be 'older black female = Whitney ballads in a badly fitting sparkly ball gown'

I would like to think if Jennifer gets through, she would stand her ground, but of course we all know that's not the way things are done on the X Factor.

You're right when you say it's mainly middle aged and under 16's. I work in a College, and most of the staff are older mum's like me who are bloody exhausted at the end of the week. If we're not going out it's just perfect, feet up for an hour of mindless guff. Me and OH always moan at the lack of talent, but we still watch :D

My youngest though, who's almost 17, wouldn't dream of watching it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The show may be aimed at a middle aged audience, but they are normally looking for acts that will attract the teens, so its a slightly mixed message really which doesn't really work.
  • Options
    Barry_John1Barry_John1 Posts: 477
    Forum Member
    There is an Over 25's category for a reason, its for those over that age range and to give them a chance. It isn;t just teens that listen to music. Jennifer could bring a more soul/gospel feel to the show which IMO has never been really showcased on X Factor before. Ballads still sell the most records worldwide
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would like to see more acts like Jennifer on the XF tbh. The show needs to have more diversity.
  • Options
    Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think she's very good. Screaming and shouting the house down does not equal a good singer. She has an absolutely huge voice, there's no denying that. She has no clue how to use it though and her control and use of her range is awful. Her performance at the six chair challenge (where she came in fancy dress) was terrible. I take the show for what it is...a comedy show and light hearted Saturday entertainment...it's not really about talent. However, it would be nice to actually have a bit of diversity. We've seen older women who scream and shout time and time again. The problem is though, that the show has no clue how to nurture talent so they just stick with the same old formula of older women who scream, young kids who can hit a big key change in a ballad and look sweet etc, girls who look the part and can sing a good pop song. Anyone unique or a bit different, or anyone who is even remotely interesting doesn't stand a chance. Take Havva last year for example...you could tell all the judges liked her and she was much more interesting than all the girls that they put through, however they knew that they would have absolutely no clue what to do with her. This show toes the same old bloody party line every single year that the louder you sing the better you are, which is absolute rubbish.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think she's very good. Screaming and shouting the house down does not equal a good singer. She has an absolutely huge voice, there's no denying that. She has no clue how to use it though and her control and use of her range is awful. Her performance at the six chair challenge (where she came in fancy dress) was terrible. I take the show for what it is...a comedy show and light hearted Saturday entertainment...it's not really about talent. However, it would be nice to actually have a bit of diversity. We've seen older women who scream and shout time and time again. The problem is though, that the show has no clue how to nurture talent so they just stick with the same old formula of older women who scream, young kids who can hit a big key change in a ballad and look sweet etc, girls who look the part and can sing a good pop song. Anyone unique or a bit different, or anyone who is even remotely interesting doesn't stand a chance. Take Havva last year for example...you could tell all the judges liked her and she was much more interesting than all the girls that they put through, however they knew that they would have absolutely no clue what to do with her. This show toes the same old bloody party line every single year that the louder you sing the better you are, which is absolute rubbish.

It's not very often that I agree with anything that you have to say, but I am in agreement that the show does not really have much idea on how to nurture talent, especially the solo acts.
  • Options
    FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw her recently too. I really like her TBH I hope she gets through.

She's determined ! and I think that determination should be rewarded.
  • Options
    FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think she just needs the right song, and I reckon she could be a dark horse in winning it.

I reckon Nicole wouldn't shaft her like Simon did >:(
  • Options
    JohnStannardJohnStannard Posts: 7,649
    Forum Member
    lets hope she lasts longer this time:)
  • Options
    shaneomaxshaneomax Posts: 1,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She wont even make it to the lives. Cowell is looking for a boyband. She has no chance.though she is a great singer.Its all about the money.
  • Options
    All Of MeAll Of Me Posts: 2,032
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She still hasn't made it then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shaneomax wrote: »
    She wont even make it to the lives. Cowell is looking for a boyband. She has no chance.though she is a great singer.Its all about the money.

Unfortunately SC is only ever looking fr teenage bands because that is all he is gooact. He has no idea what so ever on how to mould a solo act.