Films you watch every Christmas......

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 155
Forum Member
What films do you watch every year , over the Christmas period, that have nothing to do with Christmas ?

Mine are :

Uncle Buck
Bugs Bunny Road Runner Movie
The Great Outdoors

Comments

• VolVol Posts: 2,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always watch the Lotr trilogy around 20-24th December, the only association with Xmas they have is that the movies were released in the theatres around that time iirc.
  • bodderzbodderz Posts: 1,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muppet Christmas Carol
    Santa Claus (With Dudley Moore)
    Home Alone

Special mention for 'The Snowman' :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sweeney Todd is a recent addition to my Christmas schedule and I'm not quite sure why. Forrest Gump, Titanic, Dragonheart and The Blues Brothers are also in there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    The Wizard of Oz
    Pinocchio
    Big
    Planes Trains and Automobiles
    Ghostbusters
    Back to the Future (usually all 3)
    Gremlins
  • mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For some weird reason, I always watch Close Encounters Of The Third Kind at chrimbo. Always makes me feel festive, maybe its to do with the mothership at the end, looking like a vast xmas decoration, coupled with the song 'when You Wish Upon A Star'.
  • You_moYou_mo Posts: 11,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still see Christmas movies as The Wizard of Oz, The Poseidon Adventure and Towering Inferno! That was the movies that were on every year when I was a kid. My OH must have White Christmas and It's a Wonderful Life over the festive period.
  • oh viennaoh vienna Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Home Alone (original)
    It's A Wonderful Life
    Jingle All the Way
    Miracle on 34th Street (both versions)
    Prancer
    The Muppet's Christmas Carol

Then there are non-seasonal films like Mary Poppins, The Wizard of Oz, Gone With the Wind, and My Fair Lady that always used to be on TV during the festive period, although not so much in recent times.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Every year, I have a day where I put up my tree, wrap all my pressies and then settle in with a bottle of wine or two, some good food and watch "It's a Wonderful Life". Then every Christmas Eve, I watch Elf (the only good film Will Ferrall ever made - I thought I would hate it, but ended up loving it).

This year, I have also got White Christmas and the musical version of Scrooge (with Albert Finney) to watch.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've watched The Muppet Christmas Carol ever Christmas Eve witthout fail for atleast 15 years. I've watched Home Alone every year since it came out on video (1991) usually when I go and see my parents before Christmas as my Dad seems to find it funnier than me. It's A Wonderful Life, The Santa Clause, Die Hard and Scrooged all get yearly airings and have done for a very long time. Elf has joined the yearly rotation in recent years.
  • Margo ChanningMargo Channing Posts: 5,240
    Forum Member
    Batman Returns
  • LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    National Lampoon's Christmas
  • LinusJLinusJ Posts: 438
    Forum Member
    Elf
    Polar Express
    Scrooged
    Love Actually
    Bernard and the Genie
    Muppet Christmas Carol
    Christmas in Boston
    Most Wonderful Time Of The Year
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    bodderz wrote: »
    Muppet Christmas Carol
    Santa Claus (With Dudley Moore)
    Home Alone

Special mention for 'The Snowman' :)
    Every year, I have a day where I put up my tree, wrap all my pressies and then settle in with a bottle of wine or two, some good food and watch "It's a Wonderful Life". Then every Christmas Eve, I watch Elf (the only good film Will Ferrall ever made - I thought I would hate it, but ended up loving it).

This year, I have also got White Christmas and the musical version of Scrooge (with Albert Finney) to watch.
    Smerph wrote: »
    I've watched The Muppet Christmas Carol ever Christmas Eve witthout fail for atleast 15 years. I've watched Home Alone every year since it came out on video (1991) usually when I go and see my parents before Christmas as my Dad seems to find it funnier than me. It's A Wonderful Life, The Santa Clause, Die Hard and Scrooged all get yearly airings and have done for a very long time. Elf has joined the yearly rotation in recent years.
    National Lampoon's Christmas
    LinusJ wrote: »
    Elf
    Polar Express
    Scrooged
    Love Actually
    Bernard and the Genie
    Muppet Christmas Carol
    Christmas in Boston
    Most Wonderful Time Of The Year

Bless you all but please read post # 1. ;)
  • hurrikane313hurrikane313 Posts: 2,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scrooged and Planes, trains and automobiles.
  • SteelEdgeSteelEdge Posts: 6,903
    Forum Member
    No mention of Bad Santa?? Shame on you all!

My list of Xmas viewing goes:

Die Hard
    Nightmare Before Christmas
    Muppet Christmas Carol
    Bad Santa
    Elf

And I usually try and watch the Xmas episodes of Bottom, The Office, and Knowing Me Knowing You With Alan Partridge (Knowing Me Knowing Yule :D ) as well.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mr.Burns wrote: »
    What films do you watch every year , over the Christmas period, that have nothing to do with Christmas ?

Mine are :

Uncle Buck
    Bugs Bunny Road Runner Movie
    The Great Outdoors

Nothing to do with Christmas? Ah, makes a change from the usual "Christmas movies" thread.

The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy (Extended)

Blade 1 & 2

X-Men 1 & 2

And sometimes other trilogies or franchises.

I watch them around Christmas simply because of the holiday meaning I have time to watch multiple related films.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wall-E.
  • ruddigerruddiger Posts: 2,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SteelEdge wrote: »
    No mention of Bad Santa?? Shame on you all!

My list of Xmas viewing goes:

Die Hard
    Nightmare Before Christmas
    Muppet Christmas Carol
    Bad Santa
    Elf

And I usually try and watch the Xmas episodes of Bottom, The Office, and Knowing Me Knowing You With Alan Partridge (Knowing Me Knowing Yule :D ) as well.

Shame on you for not reading what the thread was actually about :p

Mine would be ....

Dances with Wolves
    Casablanca
    Gone with the Wind
    Wizard of Oz
  • Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Star Wars - A New Hope
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bless you all but please read post # 1. ;)

I generally only watch Christmas films every year around Christmas, so for me, I can't name films I watch over Christmas every year which are nothing to do with Christmas. Yes, I do watch other (non Christmas) films over the Christmas period, but nothing that I watch every year without fail, My only repeated annual viewing is Christmas themed films. :)
  • k0213818k0213818 Posts: 5,916
    Forum Member
    Die Hard

... What, it's a christmas film.
  • bruce9651bruce9651 Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    I always watch over the Christmas
    Christmas theme:
    The Muppets Christmas Carol
    Scrooge (1951)
    Miracle On 34th Street (90s version)

Non Christmas theme
    The Great Escape
    LOTD extended
    Zulu
    Ben Hur
  • gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I try & watch Planes,Trains & Automobiles every year over the Christma period.The first time i saw this film was back in the early 90's & i'm sure it was on BBC1.I know it was shown a few days before Christmas Eve.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,914
    Forum Member
    James Bond anything with humour in after unwrapping disappointing presents the mood needs uplifting.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Not christmas but my and a few mates have made it a tradition to watch Kung Pow on New Year's morning after getting in from the pub/house parties.