New EPG on its way

Comments

• cockneycockney Posts: 1,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caxton wrote: »
    On the contrary Sky are taking reports on this Beta testing very seriously even to the extent that they are sending field engineers out to look at some STBs of Beta testers when they have encounter a problem. Others have received telephone calls abot faults they have found. I do not believe Sky have ever done this before with public beta testers.

No point in being a beta tester if you cannot be bothered to report back to Sky about fault you find if we all took the same attitude as you beta testing would be pointless.

There are around 400 Beta testers so if they get 395 testers with the same problem posted in then they know there is a serious fault.

Absolutely, i reported a problem with picture freezes on recorded programmes & received a call from Sky so it does show that they are taking it seriously....

Regards,
    Steve
  • big_hard_ladbig_hard_lad Posts: 4,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dansky+HD wrote: »
    Could or more importantly would sky allow the greying out of channels on the EPG that are not part of any users individual subscription

I'm not suggesting deletion or rearrangement of EPG numbers/channels just instead of white/yellow numbering/lettering all grey.
    Similar to the way on old white boxes they started replacing the epg data with upgrade tel no's.
    Just keeping the data but greying it.

Just an idea.

Regards,

Dan.

I'd have thought, because it makes the channels less visible when scrolling through the EPG. I suppose, theoretically, the way it currently is, someone might be scrolling through and see something on that they'd like to watch and upgrade. Whereas if they were greyed out then you are less likely to see them.

Regards,

Chris :rolleyes:
  • Dansky+HDDansky+HD Posts: 9,806
    Forum Member
    I'd have thought, because it makes the channels less visible when scrolling through the EPG. I suppose, theoretically, the way it currently is, someone might be scrolling through and see something on that they'd like to watch and upgrade. Whereas if they were greyed out then you are less likely to see them.

Regards,

Chris :rolleyes:

I meant greying of the text leaving it visible but clearly distinguishable from the SD white & HD yellow.

Sorry for the confusion.

I know I have many ideas & share these probably too often.

Regards,

Dan
  • jackzelouf1jackzelouf1 Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    Good evening to you all.

Hope you're all well.

Good to see Sky have eventually added the month & year to recorded programmes.

Great to see that they've also extended this additional info to the recorded programme synopsis when pressing the info button.

I know it's taken a while to come & it's long overdue , however I also firmly believe this addition has come about due to constructive/polite user pressure.

Goes to show that Sky do eventually listen , albeit possibly a tad too late. Much has changed since the Darwin fiasco , my advice - log onto the locked Enhanced EPG thread (if you're a beta tester) & read the EPG suggestions thread. There's some great ideas & posts & sky have acknowledged these suggestions & forward some to the development team.

If you're not currently a beta tester for this new EPG , then ask someone to post for you if you know someone & they can.

It will be worth it.

Kind regards as always.

James

I think as james had said it would be great if someone who is on the beta can post on the beta forum some of the suggestions of people not on the new beta like myself.

I think it would also be great if there could be a new thread created called epg suggestions or feature requests, and maybe someone on the beta can post the ideas from the sky forum regarding new features and then we might get some good ideas that might hopefully come in the future.

Once again see my list of wanted fetaures below:

For recorded programs(this has been the case since way back when sky+ launched) it would really help if instead of saying program recorded on thursday 2, it would say the month and year also. - Finally this has now been implemented.

When you press i on a program you have stopped recording, it may be only a 5 minute part you recorded, but it tells you e.g. used 20%. It's only when you actually go to the full planner, it tell's you the real amount of space used.

It would also be helpful if when you press i when recording a program, either in the planner or the on screen banner, instead of just saying recording, it would tell you how much space has been used so far.

If when recording a program it would give you a more accurate indication of how much space it was going to use, e.g. i recorded a 2 hour football match on itv. Before recording it tells me it will use 7%, when it only actually has used 5%. If would also be really useful if instead of just a percentage, it would also have a far saying in hours and minutes how much recording time is left, and then when recording something e.g. on itv hd, it says it would use for a two hour program the equivalent of two and a half hours recording space, while a sky sports hd 2 hour program would use the equivalent of 4 hours space.

When you sometimes press pause on an hd channel, it tells you not enough space to pause, even though you go into the planner and find you have like 5% left.

Finally when i sometimes record a program in hd, i like to stop the recording to not record the advers. When i want to then resume recording it tells me disc full, even though there is plenty of disc space to record the rest of the program.

Also and advanced search would be great where you could put in some key words that were in the program sypnosis, e.g. premier league football live, and if would show you all the entries for premier league games on tv.

Secondly if you don't have enough space to record a whole program, it would be great if there was an option saying something like "record anyway", meaning it would record until the disc space was all used.

Furthermore when the disc is full, instead of it saying to continue recording, press select to delete the selected program, it gave you a list of all your planner entries, and you could decide if you wanted to delete a program, which program it would be. (I always press the blue button to keep my programmes, as i don't want it to be deleted automatically), and hate it when it only gives me the option to view the top program, which i have already viewed in the planner, although i may have only seen a couple of minutes of it.
  • Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,939
    Forum Member
    With regard to your fourth point, as has been said many times before, it just isn't possible to give a completely accurate estimate of how much disk space a future recording will take up. There are far too many variables involved, like the nature of the programme material and even often what is on the other channels on the same transponder at the same time. If you have a large HDD, most programmes say 1% anyway, although they will probably use less than that. Those that don't I've usually found the estimate to be pretty good, usually + or - 1%.

Your other points are valid and useful, but I suspect you're only seeing some of these issues because you are running with your available disk space quite low.
    My disk has never been more that 40% used, and I've never seen any of these effects.
    That's not to say that the software should handle this scenario better than it does though!
    :)
  • sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If when recording a program it would give you a more accurate indication of how much space it was going to use, e.g. i recorded a 2 hour football match on itv. Before recording it tells me it will use 7%, when it only actually has used 5%. If would also be really useful if instead of just a percentage, it would also have a far saying in hours and minutes how much recording time is left, and then when recording something e.g. on itv hd, it says it would use for a two hour program the equivalent of two and a half hours recording space, while a sky sports hd 2 hour program would use the equivalent of 4 hours space.

The problem here is that programs are different, and channels are different, a 2 hour football match on ITV might use less space than a 2 hour football match on Sky Sports, and then something else for 2 hours on the same channel will use a different amount of space.

Therefore the box can only give you an idea of how much space it will need, but cannot be accurate, and therefore it cannot give you an idea of how many hours of unused space are left, again, because it depends what you record onto that space.
  • mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have there been any further thoughts about having a full 13 line EPG when Mini TV is switched off?

Is Sky considering this? Or have they definitely decided against?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dansky+HD wrote: »
    I meant greying of the text leaving it visible but clearly distinguishable from the SD white & HD yellow.

Sorry for the confusion.

I know I have many ideas & share these probably too often.

Regards,

Dan

Oh I got what you meant....my point still stands. Having the text the same as it is currently means that you are more likely to see it. Distinguishing it from channels that you subscribe to would mean that you sub-consciously wouldn't read the text.

I know back when I was a student and we had Virgin Media, we subscribed to virtually nothing and I completely looked over the greyed out channels. If those channels hadn't have been greyed out, I probably would have read what was on and maybe on occasions thought, "I would like to watch that"...meaning that I'm more likely to "impulse subscribe".
  • user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mlt11 wrote: »
    Have there been any further thoughts about having a full 13 line EPG when Mini TV is switched off?

Is Sky considering this? Or have they definitely decided against?

It's on the suggestions list, we have had no comments from Sky other than if loads of people ask for it they may consider it :(
  • mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anniebrion wrote: »
    It's on the suggestions list, we have had no comments from Sky other than if loads of people ask for it they may consider it :(

Thanks.

Please can as many people as possible ask for it!!!
  • CTD101CTD101 Posts: 4,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mlt11 wrote: »
    Thanks.

Please can as many people as possible ask for it!!!

Never say never, but I'm pretty sure it's here for keeps.
  • webbiewebbie Posts: 1,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can I ask for it please?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    webbie wrote: »
    Can I ask for it please?

No...you need to have registered a long time ago. (As you would have found out if you'd read even a couple of pages of the thread, as someone seems to ask it every couple of days).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    No...you need to have registered a long time ago. (As you would have found out if you'd read even a couple of pages of the thread, as someone seems to ask it every couple of days).

Calm down .:D
  • dazbdazb Posts: 3,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although i like the new Beta Epg i would have preferred the old 13 lines on the TV Guide just doesnt feel right with only eight. Hopefully they will give it a rethink.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dazb wrote: »
    Although i like the new Beta Epg i would have preferred the old 13 lines on the TV Guide just doesnt feel right with only eight. Hopefully they will give it a rethink.

Darwin had either 6 or 11 lines in the planner/TV Guide it has never had 13 lines!
    Forum Member
    anniebrion wrote: »
    Darwin had either 6 or 11 lines in the planner/TV Guide it has never had 13 lines!
    Presumably it could have more than 11 now though with the increased space available due to the font and resolution changes.
    As I never run with the mini TV off I'm glad of the extra two lines and have no problem with that being the only option. Apart from having the mini TV, like many people I suspect I like having the programme information on screen without having to press an extra button.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    Is there anyway of accessing or downloading the beta epg onto a machine if you missed the boat to sign up to be a tester?
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mnavarra wrote: »
    Is there anyway of accessing or downloading the beta epg onto a machine if you missed the boat to sign up to be a tester?

no there isn't
  • sheernesssheerness Posts: 205
    Forum Member
    Hi there,
    i am also a beta tester with the new epg that was sent to the testers 3/4 weeks ago.
    i have had no problem with the 1st enhanced epg the only faults was the mini tv did not always show, however the last update fixed that.
    yesterday 10/05/2012 around 10Pm we had a 2 things to record at 10pm then at 10.30 we had another recording to start so we candled a recording by going in to the planner and pressed the red key to stop it and deleted if from the planner, however on the search and scan banner the red (R) was showing but this did go away after a forced reboot by holding the power key till the red standby light come on and then pressed the power to reboot the box, this seem to clear the problem, then went in to the planned and all my recording had disappeared around 30 mins after tge 1st reboot, so we did another forced reboot and thank god everything had come back.
    the only other problem we have is when we 1st turn the box on normally BBC three as that is the last channel we watched before going to bed, which always say tec fault every time i press the CH down button it will jump to 0214 UCB Ireland, some kind of link to working there, apart from these minor problems i am very happy with the new layout so far,

Thanks
    Dom
    Forum Member
    sheerness wrote: »
    ...the only other problem we have is when we 1st turn the box on normally BBC three as that is the last channel we watched before going to bed, which always say tec fault every time i press the CH down button it will jump to 0214 UCB Ireland, some kind of link to working there...
    What happens if you press the Channel Up button?
    Does it go to 101 (the other end of the EPG)?
    IIRC there have always been issues with the box coming out of standby on a channel that isn't on-air at the time.
  • HeinzHeinz Posts: 7,210
    Forum Member
    Can someone ask Sky to delay the new EPG for a few months - I'm only just getting to grips with the old one (after changing from Sky+SD less than 2 weeks ago).

I always keep a spare box so if anyone would be kind enough to swop me a working Sky+HD box for TWO Pace TDS470N Sky+SD boxes, I'd be ever so grateful.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Heinz wrote: »
    Can someone ask Sky to delay the new EPG for a few months - I'm only just getting to grips with the old one (after changing from Sky+SD less than 2 weeks ago).

It is still in beta and will take a couple of month to send to all relevant boxes, so you will not be getting it anytime soon. The Picasso (New EPG) is not that much different to Darwin (Old EPG), If my mum can operate it with minimal instruction then it should be easy for 99.99% of the general public :D
  • dazbdazb Posts: 3,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Went to visit my brother tonight with it being his sons birthday, i was watching sky when i noticed he has the new Beta EPG like me, i asked him did he pre register for it and he said no so i dont know how he got it if he didnt register his details to sky.
  • sheernesssheerness Posts: 205
    Forum Member
    Dave-H wrote: »
    What happens if you press the Channel Up button?
    Does it go to 101 (the other end of the EPG)?
    IIRC there have always been issues with the box coming out of standby on a channel that isn't on-air at the time.

hi there sorry for the delay in reply, yes it does go to BBC1 101... maybe if they change it to somthing like this channel is off air and not a tec fault.

Dom
This discussion has been closed.