Dell-Worth buying or not?

Looking at buying a 64 bit desktop to run Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 and After Effects.Up until now I've always purchased Acer but am finding my current Acer very slow.

Are Dell worth thinking about? I know of 2 people who've had issues with them but by the same token I am aware that big businesses use them

Any thoughts would greatly appreciated

Comments

• LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    We've had 3 Dells in the family, 1 desktop and 2 laptops. No problems with any apart from 1 laptop but that was down to physical abuse from us.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dell are worth thinking about, I've had many high end workstations from them for running those program's and similar, I've also had a few of their low end machines. With their business support, though, you'll be fine. I've heard some nightmares about their home support, though.

Worth checking out europc.co.uk for good deals on overbought Dell stock.

However, my current graphics/video workstation was bought from Scan's 'value' range and it's pretty darn good. Miles cheaper than comparative spec from Dell and the support are pretty good, too.
  • virginskyfanvirginskyfan Posts: 590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »
    Dell are worth thinking about, I've had many high end workstations from them for running those program's and similar, I've also had a few of their low end machines. With their business support, though, you'll be fine. I've heard some nightmares about their home support, though.

Worth checking out europc.co.uk for good deals on overbought Dell stock.

However, my current graphics/video workstation was bought from Scan's 'value' range and it's pretty darn good. Miles cheaper than comparative spec from Dell and the support are pretty good, too.

Interesting.Thanks
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,421
    Forum Member
    When it comes to PCs, brands dont really mean anything. All the manufacturers have different grades of models with varying degrees of build and component quality. As a rough guide, budget (£300-£500), mainstream (£500-£1000) and premium (£1000+). If your after something cheap then its often a better idea to look for old "mainstream" stock thats been reduced rather than go for the cheap new stuff.
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've bought dozens of Dells for over 10 years and they've all been good, maybe I've been lucky!?

I sometimes get a Dell outlet PC depending on what they have..... also remember to buy via Quidco to get cashback.

I usually look at Wizmark or DMXdimension for the latest Dell deals (it's easier than searching all over Dell's site)
  • slackereconomyslackereconomy Posts: 685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    my dell lasted precisely 13 months before the mobo died
  • LoobsterLoobster Posts: 11,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are Dell worth thinking about?

It's largely pointless asking about a particular brand on a forum like this.

The majority of responses will be from persons whose opinion is coloured by very limited experiences (i.e. one or two computers over the course of the last decade).

You are best to seek out persons you trust who work in the industry and see what they feel about the brands they work with.

This forum and most others are full of threads from angry members proclaiming that nobody on the planet should buy a particular brand because they bought one laptop from a manufacturer and it turns out they got the only lemon in the run of 3000.
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The last three companies I've worked for have used Dell Latitude laptops, so several thousand in total. I assume this is because the Dell offers value for money and reliability.

I know the Latitude series is designed to be supported for several years with very limited component changes. This allows a companies IT department to carry out running repairs easier and keep the work force happy, even when the Dells are out of warentee.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Premier is a pretty gutsy bit of software, so what ever you choose, make sure it got some power, and memory.

Dell is ok on their higher spec machines, but if you can and feel up to it, maybe you can build your own if you going for a desktop.

what sort of price range are you looking at?
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dell are fine, just be aware that the sometimes replacement parts can be a bind especially for the thinner machines as they have made to measure psu's etc
  • virginskyfanvirginskyfan Posts: 590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    Premier is a pretty gutsy bit of software, so what ever you choose, make sure it got some power, and memory.

Dell is ok on their higher spec machines, but if you can and feel up to it, maybe you can build your own if you going for a desktop.

what sort of price range are you looking at?

Mid range I would say if possible
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mid range I would say if possible

Might be worth checking out Scan and Novatech, then. You'll get more for your money than Dell.

Prem and After Effects need as much processing power and memory as you can afford to throw at it.

Here are the Scan machines I mentioned: http://www.scan.co.uk/value-systems I picked up a G30 last October and it certainly does a good job (spec on the site has changed since I got mine but it's something to build on)
  • John146John146 Posts: 12,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only had one Dell Desktop and Inspiron 830 (think that's the right number), not impressed, kept it just over 12 months then changed it for an Acer, more impressed with the Acer, but as I said only had one Dell, not exactly a thorough 'test' of Dell.