Singers/bands who's music depresses you?

2»

Comments

• Apollo CreedApollo Creed Posts: 998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bob Dylan can be described as miserable as his songs often tackle suck serious issues. He is undoubtedly fantastic though.

The Smiths are anything but miserable. I think a lot of people who trot out this line haven't actually heard much of their stuff and just go on what others say. Either that or they have no grasp on wit or irony
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Adele
    Coldplay
    Mumford and Sons
    Oasis
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good call with Coldplay, CNBC. I bloody loathe them and will just never understand their popularity. I feel the same about Green Day and U2. Just sodding awful, usually miserable, and always utterly pretentious.

Not a huge fan of Oasis either for similar reasons but I do actually like couple of their songs.
  • nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    Nyota wrote: »
    Are there any singers or bands who make you feel like that?

Surely, the all time most depressing song is 'Seasons in the Sun' by Terry Jacks. Absolutely awful, soul destroying work, which makes me change channels EVERY time it comes on the radio.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spice Girls
    Little Mix
    The Saturdays

Dire music. Very little talent.
  • Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It always annoys me when people mention The Smiths are depressing. The lyrics are often black humour and are often quite subtly clever. Only depressed people get depressed by The Smiths.
  • warszawawarszawa Posts: 4,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sifter22 wrote: »
    It always annoys me when people mention The Smiths are depressing. The lyrics are often black humour and are often quite subtly clever. Only depressed people get depressed by The Smiths.

The Smiths are hilarious, not depressing in the least.
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lana Del Ray and Radiohead, the latter more so. You can tell me how "deep" their lyrics are or whatever but I just find the sound of all their songs dreary.
    Evanescence

"My Immortal" is certainly one I've the most depressing songs that I've heard. I don't now if it's just the lyrics or the overall sound too.
  • mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Smiths are one of the funniest bands around! Vicar In A Tutu anyone?!

As for the rest - ooohhhh theres so much drivel out there, but heres my creme de la creme de shite...

new country - from Garth Brookes via Dixie Chicks to Taylor Swift. I like to call it country-lite.

Evanescence - goth-pop-hard rock 'fusion' ....

Anyhting touched by X-Factor.

Most 80s SAW productions.

All those indie shoe-gazer bands from the late 80's/early 90'

Rihanna - (aside from Only Girl In The World - credit where credits due:o)

Scooter

Arctic Monkeys
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Semierotic wrote: »
    Forget lazy stock answers like The Smiths and Radiohead: bad music depresses me, and there's plenty of that.

There sure is, and it's played round the clock in my gym! Horrible, posturing autotuned rubblish full of "whoa whoa whoa whoas".

Give me the likes of Joy Division or the Cure any day! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ms Katt wrote: »
    [/B]

There sure is, and it's played round the clock in my gym! Horrible, posturing autotuned rubblish full of "whoa whoa whoa whoas".

Correct.
  • HellwÿckHellwÿck Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    It's not so much the music that depresses me as bands I don't like I don't listen to,
    what really gets me is the fact that thise utter shite acts are popular because the people who buy them are TOLD to and not because they're any good.
  • clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adele obviously, but lana del ray & katie meula come a closs second.

thank the gods its not just me thinking this!

Lana Del Rey - look is fantastic, but then she starts singing, and no matter what mood I was in, feel like I should be stringing myself up.

I can like some sombre music - David Sylvians Secrets of the Beehive springs to mind - but it may seem to some as being quite depressing, closely listening to the lyrics can be quite uplifting.
  • clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ms Katt wrote: »
    [/B]

Gym music is on another planet ..... whats that rubbish womp womp gypsy thing thats doing the rounds on gym playlists? Loathe it!
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sifter22 wrote: »

I disagree. Depressed people are more likely to feel a shared sadness with depressing music and may find it comforting. The Smiths always laced their sadness with humour which usually helps lift the mood if anything.

I think people who compain about music being depressing are the sort of people who usually listen to lightweight, upbeat pop music - happy music for happy people.

Give me something "depressing" any day over the vacuous, say-nothing, meaningless, repetitive, monotonous, dull and insipid pop music which infects most of the charts.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,981
    Forum Member
    Eraserhead wrote: »
    I disagree. Depressed people are more likely to feel a shared sadness with depressing music and may find it comforting. The Smiths always laced their sadness with humour which usually helps lift the mood if anything.

I think people who compain about music being depressing are the sort of people who usually listen to lightweight, upbeat pop music - happy music for happy people.

Give me something "depressing" any day over the vacuous, say-nothing, meaningless, repetitive, monotonous, dull and insipid pop music which infects most of the charts.

I agree with everything in this post. :)
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    One Direction & JLS.

I don't mind a bit of misery (Joy Division were my favourite band) but crap groups singing crap songs depress me.
  • Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eraserhead wrote: »

Your post makes it seem I was dissing The Smiths or something, I was defending them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    clonmult wrote: »
    thank the gods its not just me thinking this!

Lana Del Rey - look is fantastic, but then she starts singing, and no matter what mood I was in, feel like I should be stringing myself up.

I can like some sombre music - David Sylvians Secrets of the Beehive springs to mind - but it may seem to some as being quite depressing, closely listening to the lyrics can be quite uplifting.

I could not believe how darn boring her born to die album was. After hearing adele's 21 I thought I had heard the most boring album ever but Born to Die even trumpted Adele. Not a fan of LDR's voice either, she sound like a little schoolgirl.

Depressing style music is OK but it has to still touch you, LDR and adele's music just leave's me stone cold and there are not many artists that do that to me.