Options

End of tenancy notice.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 140
Forum Member
My daughter and her partner have been renting a property near their university for over a year. They have a rolling contract. In December I decided to give my daughter her inheritance early to buy a house so she could be rent/mortgage free and get on the property ladder while its a buyers market. The purchasing of the property has taken longer than normal due to wrangling over price etc but has come to completion quicker than what we thought. My daughter now wants to give a months notice of end of tenancy but has been told she cannot until the next rent due date which is 28th March then she will have to pay another month at £500. I think this is correct as long as its clearly stated in the contract,but, nowhere in my daughters contract does it stipulate this. Any ideas?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    PopRocketPopRocket Posts: 587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    a full months notice is usually required
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes. She is willing to pay the extra £200 now to make it a full month notice but what they are saying is she cannot give a months notice until the 28th March which will make it £700.
  • Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    calibra101 wrote: »
    My daughter and her partner have been renting a property near their university for over a year. They have a rolling contract. In December I decided to give my daughter her inheritance early to buy a house so she could be rent/mortgage free and get on the property ladder while its a buyers market. The purchasing of the property has taken longer than normal due to wrangling over price etc but has come to completion quicker than what we thought. My daughter now wants to give a months notice of end of tenancy but has been told she cannot until the next rent due date which is 28th March then she will have to pay another month at £500. I think this is correct as long as its clearly stated in the contract,but, nowhere in my daughters contract does it stipulate this. Any ideas?

Thanks

It's not in Bolton, is it?
  • Options
    PopRocketPopRocket Posts: 587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes. She is willing to pay the extra £200 now to make it a full month notice but what they are saying is she cannot give a months notice until the 28th March which will make it £700.

Yeah that doesn't sound fair at all
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why Bolton?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why Bolton?

Sounds amazingly similar to something I'm going through with the sale of a relative's house to a young couple...

ETA: Well, I'm guessing they're young... They're down in all the paperwork with a third family member who our solicitor has said is the girl's mum...
  • Options
    Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    deleted my reply I misunderstood the problem
  • Options
    MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    £200 is not a full months notice. I guess they want at least a month from the rent date which is usually the case in tenancy contracts, not notice to the end of the month.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    £200 is not a full months notice. I guess they want at least a month from the rent date which is usually the case in tenancy contracts, not notice to the end of the month.

It's a little unclear, I initially misunderstood, but I think she has paid the rent up to the 28 March and wants to pay an extra £200 to give notice now with immediate effect, ie giving basically 4 weeks or so notice but the landlord is insisting on a calendar month's notice (which they are almost certainly entitled to do.)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    She wants to give notice tomorrow, she has paid in full to the 28th March but they are insisting she then goes on to pay another month at £500 up to 28th April.Nowhere in her contract does it state this so that's where the grey area lies for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She wants to give notice tomorrow, she has paid in full to the 28th March but they are insisting she then goes on to pay another month at £500 up to 28th April.Nowhere in her contract does it state this so that's where the grey area lies for me.

Which would be giving one calendar month's notice. What does it say in the contract about giving notice?

(can't be my relative's place - the buyers for that one gave notice and agreed to move out of their rented place before actually agreeing on a completion date... d'oh!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Her contract does not contain anything about leaving.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok so she has paid up to the end of March. Can you confirm that she is hoping to give notice tomo and leave by the end of march too? or leave at the end of April?

She will need to give notice in line with her rent due date (which is the 29th right?) so she will give her one months calendar notice which will run from the 29th March to the 28th April. She can give this notice at any time, however the notice wont 'start' until the 29th March and wont 'expire' till the 28th April.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Her contract does not contain anything about leaving.
    If its an assured short term tenancy that's rolled over beyond its initial term it will now be a periodic tenancy. As the rental period appears to be monthly and the agreement says nothing on the subject the law defines the notice period, and that would be a calendar month.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes she wants to give 4 weeks notice tomorrow and leave by the end of March paying the extra to make up the 4 weeks, I read somewhere that if in a rolling contract that the calendar months notice is not clearly stated in your contract then your not liable. That is what I want to know about.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes she wants to give 4 weeks notice tomorrow and leave by the end of March paying the extra to make up the 4 weeks, I read somewhere that if in a rolling contract that the calendar months notice is not clearly stated in your contract then your not liable. That is what I want to know about.

I think keefy-boy already answered that one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yea DS is loading slow for me so Im lagging a bit....Thanks guys
  • Options
    Jason JAG LawJason JAG Law Posts: 1,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jude1979 wrote: »

She will need to give notice in line with her rent due date (which is the 29th right?) so she will give her one months calendar notice which will run from the 29th March to the 28th April. She can give this notice at any time, however the notice wont 'start' until the 29th March and wont 'expire' till the 28th April.

I can't agree to this interpretation at all. Hand in notice tomorrow and pay rent upto 11 March, which is one calendar months notice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Forget what you read (there, not here!) If it's payment every calendar month then it's the same for the notice period too.
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jude1979 wrote: »
    She can give this notice at any time, however the notice wont 'start' until the 29th March and wont 'expire' till the 28th April.

That's just plain wrong, even if that's what it says in the small print. It would mean the tenant would need to give up to two months' notice instead of the one month which it is commonly understood is what is usually needed after a periodic tenancy becomes a rolling one.

An agreement should be just that, an agreement between the two parties, not something drawn up by one side, mainly for the benefit of that side (ie. the landlord and especially the agents).

(Edit: Actually, if the leaving date can only be on the same day (or the day before) that the rent is due, then it's not even a question of how much notice is needed: you could be forced to pay rent for up to a month more than is needed. If the rent is paid via DD, then it's even more difficult.)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't agree to this interpretation at all. Hand in notice tomorrow and pay rent upto 11 March, which is one calendar months notice.

Do you mean 11 April? The rent's already paid to 28 March! I still don't agree that's the common understanding or definition of a calendar month.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keefy-boy wrote: »
    Do you mean 11 April? The rent's already paid to 28 March! I still can't see that's the common understanding of a calendar month.

I meant April! Thanks for spotting the oversight.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I meant April! Thanks for spotting the oversight.

I think you may be right on the calendar month definition but wrong on the law here (standing by for lightning bolt to hit my head.)

From landlord zone and backed up elsewhere:

Notice by Tenant

Where the tenancy has become a Statutory Periodic Tenancy (where the fixed-term has ended and no new agreement signed for another fixed-term) the tenant must give the landlord notice if he wants to leave:

The notice must be in writing
    It must be delivered at least 4 weeks before the notice period ends or 1 month if rent is paid monthly
    It must bring the tenancy to an end at the end of a full rent period.
    The notice period must end at the end of a tenancy payment period: for example, if the rent payment date is on the 20th of each month, the notice period must end on the 20th of the month or the 19th to be on the safe side.

So in this case the tenancy can't end until 27 April.
  • Options
    evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    If you can be bothered to read my link in Post#10 it explains what should happen.