Doc Martin (Part 15 — Spoilers)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you all for your TV suggestions. I can't think of a better group to get some tips from. BTW, I also recently found The Family Tree, with Chris O'Dowd (DM S2 Christmas special), and really am enchanted with the show and with him. What amazing, amazing improvisation! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    NO--absolutely NOT! After that embrace, he couldn't have left!! All that changing, showering, wash kit, change of clothing, etc. etc.--no, no--heavens, that's for people who are further on in a relationship! And YES, he undoubtedly forgot his medical bag and defibrillator because of course his mind was elsewhere!

And by the way, Rob, I doubt that Louisa would have had to say anything after the embrace!!!

I wonder what others think....

I don't know...I think I have to disagree. Yes, the leap into his arms and the embrace were passionate and intense, but I like to think they didn't tear each other's clothes off a second later. Instead, I actually can imagine Martin going home and preparing for the evening, and Louisa doing the same at her house. I think the two of them would want to set the mood and take their time, their first night together. He'd go back later, sans bag and defib machine, she'd be there waiting...I think you know where I'm going with this.

Okay, I just realized that doesn't explain him wearing the same suit. Hmm. Here's where my theory falls apart. :p:rolleyes: Never mind me; talk amongst yourselves!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    Thank you all for your TV suggestions. I can't think of a better group to get some tips from. BTW, I also recently found The Family Tree, with Chris O'Dowd (DM S2 Christmas special), and really am enchanted with the show and with him. What amazing, amazing improvisation! :)

Ooh, I love Chris O'Dowd...I'll have to look for that one! :)
  • Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know...I think I have to disagree. Yes, the leap into his arms and the embrace were passionate and intense, but I like to think they didn't tear each other's clothes off a second later. Instead, I actually can imagine Martin going home and preparing for the evening, and Louisa doing the same at her house. I think the two of them would want to set the mood and take their time, their first night together. He'd go back later, sans bag and defib machine, she'd be there waiting...I think you know where I'm going with this.

Okay, I just realized that doesn't explain him wearing the same suit. Hmm. Here's where my theory falls apart. :p:rolleyes: Never mind me; talk amongst yourselves!

Nope. I'm with Last Romantic. The embrace took place at the foot of the stairs and I give them a minute or two right there and then straight up the stairs! He was very distracted by the lovely Louisa and forgot all about his bag and machine. He probably had to rush over there at lunch to retrieve them and that's when they firmed up where and when to meet for dinner.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    Louisa did not let him out of White Rose Cottage after "the embrace" until the next morning. His medical bag and defib were taken back to the surgery on the wings of The Portwenn Effect.
  • ConniejConniej Posts: 972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.dailymotion.com/user/Mclunesfan/1

I uploaded a few more audio interviews for those of us who can't get enough of his voice. :)
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    Nope. I'm with Last Romantic. The embrace took place at the foot of the stairs and I give them a minute or two right there and then straight up the stairs! He was very distracted by the lovely Louisa and forgot all about his bag and machine. He probably had to rush over there at lunch to retrieve them and that's when they firmed up where and when to meet for dinner.

I had always thought of this as a "continuity error" as had most people who had spotted it, but now I think it was deliberate. You couldn't have had the same effect of him walking out of the house with the "ghost of a smile" etc. if he were lugging something in each hand. I think they just thought the camera shot was better and deliberately let continuity go. Which actually was the right decision, imo.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    As regaurds to the embrace. I think he went back to drop off his kit - maybe finish off his day and then get back to the Louisa asap. Perhaps she prepared dinner while he was gone (they must have eaten at sometime right). As a woman I bet Louisa was caught of guard and had to go, have a shower - change the sheets, put on underwear that's a lot more sexy and a lot more uncomfortable, shave legs (we've all been caught out on that one), change clothes and perhaps reapply make-up. She might have told Martin "come back as soon as possible" I Mean they couldn't have kissed then and there because he had just thrown up! He needed to go and brush his teeth at least!. I think he went back, brushed his teeth, finished his day and then by then he forgot to change and went to Louisa's for dinner and ahem... desert.

Also they might have kept him in the suit to show it was the same day to the audience. Otherwise we'd be asking.."How many days after the proposal was this?". Often the only way to keep track of days on the show is to look at his suits!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

deleted -- duplicate post
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    I think that's an advantage of village/small town life for a TV show. You have the possibility of mothers from unemployed, working, stay at home, successful, less successful old and young.
    If it was set in a particular suburb of a city (in Australia anyway) it would be less likely that there would be a wide spectrum of possibilities.

But you are right that all the mothers are less than ideal. But do you think that was deliberate because in reality no mother is perfect?

Certainly can agree that no mother is perfect, and often far less than perfect (judging from my own experience). But I think many of the mothers, especially of the children brought in to the surgery, are rather broadly drawn.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I almost hesitate to bring the fairy tale back into the discussion, but I, too, tend to watch only murder/mystery series, unless I'm watching Doc Martin, of course. I believe that we are drawn to the dark and mysterious (an essential element in the fairy tale) because life itself is mysterious. The dark side, where we often feel confused, uncomfortable and lost, is a necessary part of one's own life; but to make progress, it must be faced.

I found myself within a forest dark for the straightforward pathway had been lost. Dante

There is no coming to consciousness without pain. People will do anything, no matter how absurd, in order to avoid facing their own Soul. One does not become enlightened by imagining figures of light, but by making the darkness conscious. Carl Jung

Both the murder/mystery and Doc Martin are (each in their own way) engaging us in the inner journey. This the fascination for me.

Totally love the Jung quote. So, so true, in my experience (professionally speaking). Anything at all!

And Dante too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 219
    Forum Member

As regaurds to the embrace. I think he went back to drop off his kit - maybe finish off his day and then get back to the Louisa asap. Perhaps she prepared dinner while he was gone (they must have eaten at sometime right). As a woman I bet Louisa was caught of guard and had to go, have a shower - change the sheets, put on underwear that's a lot more sexy and a lot more uncomfortable, shave legs (we've all been caught out on that one), change clothes and perhaps reapply make-up. She might have told Martin "come back as soon as possible" I Mean they couldn't have kissed then and there because he had just thrown up! He needed to go and brush his teeth at least!. I think he went back, brushed his teeth, finished his day and then by then he forgot to change and went to Louisa's for dinner and ahem... desert.

Also they might have kept him in the suit to show it was the same day to the audience. Otherwise we'd be asking.."How many days after the proposal was this?". Often the only way to keep track of days on the show is to look at his suits!

Sorry largeincharge and leannethemouse, just can't agree. When two people have finally reached that level of release, the ordinary world ceases to be! A bit of dirt or even vomit--who cares?! And who needs to eat?

The sentiments of the 1931 song, I Surrender Dear, in my opinion, fits perfectly with this scene. Here are the lyrics:

We played the game of "Stay away"
    But it's cost me more than I can pay
    Without you I can't make my way
    I surrender dear

I may seem proud, I may act gay
    It's just a pose, I'm not that way
    'Cause deep down in my heart I say
    I surrender dear

Little mean things we were doing
    Must have been part of the game
    Lending a spice to the wooing
    But I don't care who's to blame

When stars appear and shadows fall
    Why then you'll hear my poor heart call
    To you my love, my life, my all,
    I surrender dear
  • MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I had noticed this early on watching the series but in a great leap of romantic imagination refused to rationalize it. I guess that is The Port Wenn Effect that DMfan (I think) mentioned. In the morning it was the same suit, "the embrace " was way too passionate. If they didn't make love then.....?

The doorway scene was also fantastic. When Martinis walking down the street and the postman drives by and beeps and gives the thumbs up the doc has just got a hint of a smile with a touch of smugness...like he's one of the guys for a change . It's priceless.

I love this show and the actors. MC can project a myriad of moods and emotions with his eyes and face virtually without changing his expression! The man is an artist, but so humble. Rare these days.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 399
    Forum Member
    As regaurds to the embrace. I think he went back to drop off his kit - maybe finish off his day and then get back to the Louisa asap. Perhaps she prepared dinner while he was gone (they must have eaten at sometime right). As a woman I bet Louisa was caught of guard and had to go, have a shower - change the sheets, put on underwear that's a lot more sexy and a lot more uncomfortable, shave legs (we've all been caught out on that one), change clothes and perhaps reapply make-up. She might have told Martin "come back as soon as possible" I Mean they couldn't have kissed then and there because he had just thrown up! He needed to go and brush his teeth at least!. I think he went back, brushed his teeth, finished his day and then by then he forgot to change and went to Louisa's for dinner and ahem... desert

I'm with you leannethemouse. He went back to the surgery and finished the day. After all, he had patients in the waiting room and above all DM has 'a duty of care.' These two aren't teenagers. I kind of like the way BP leaves a lot to the imagination.;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry largeincharge and leannethemouse, just can't agree. When two people have finally reached that level of release, the ordinary world ceases to be! A bit of dirt or even vomit--who cares?! And who needs to eat?

The sentiments of the 1931 song, I Surrender Dear, in my opinion, fits perfectly with this scene. Here are the lyrics:

We played the game of "Stay away"
    But it's cost me more than I can pay
    Without you I can't make my way
    I surrender dear

I may seem proud, I may act gay
    It's just a pose, I'm not that way
    'Cause deep down in my heart I say
    I surrender dear

Little mean things we were doing
    Must have been part of the game
    Lending a spice to the wooing
    But I don't care who's to blame

When stars appear and shadows fall
    Why then you'll hear my poor heart call
    To you my love, my life, my all,
    I surrender dear

Totally fits with the Castle scene, also.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Portwenn59 wrote: »
    I'm with you leannethemouse. He went back to the surgery and finished the day. After all, he had patients in the waiting room and above all DM has 'a duty of care.' These two aren't teenagers. I kind of like the way BP leaves a lot to the imagination.;)

You know, you may be right. What time of day was this happening? I'll have to go back and check. Louisa was dressed but Holly was taking milk out of the fridge. I think Pauline would clear out the waiting room when this type of emergency occurs so he could possibly have no more patients to see. It definitely was light outside but something made me think it was late afternoon light. In that case I prefer the more romantic version.

Am I insane enough?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 399
    Forum Member
    Mofromco wrote: »
    You know, you may be right. What time of day was this happening? I'll have to go back and check. Louisa was dressed but Holly was taking milk out of the fridge. I think Pauline would clear out the waiting room when this type of emergency occurs so he could possibly have no more patients to see. It definitely was light outside but something made me think it was late afternoon light. In that case I prefer the more romantic version.

Am I insane enough?

I just rewatched that part. I was wrong, it doesn't look like there were any patients in the waiting room. I'll still stand by the less romantic version.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member

Well, if you know you are just going to take it off, why change into a clean suit?
    But, I think also that he probably went home and returned.
    Louisa, as we recall from a previous ep, is a bit of a chaotic housekeeper in her private areas - recall the bra and other lingerie in the bath and DM getting the bra caught in his coat.
    Although, she probably did pick up a bit with Holly there. But - Holly had been sleeping in Louisa's bed - I think she would have changed the sheets (quick - to the DVD - are they different?)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member

I am so behind the rest of you because I had to really think about this.
    I actually don't watch anything current on network TV. I do however watch, The Big Bang, NCIS, and Criminal Minds on rerun TV. I watch some HGTV, but not like I used to. Still like Income Property (HGTV) but it is not in first run now either.
    I have recently discovered DiscoverUD, which is all about crime investigations. I will watch any show like that.
    In the past, a really all time favorite was The West Wing, but who can ignore Seinfeld.
  • mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NO--absolutely NOT! After that embrace, he couldn't have left!! All that changing, showering, wash kit, change of clothing, etc. etc.--no, no--heavens, that's for people who are further on in a relationship! And YES, he undoubtedly forgot his medical bag and defibrillator because of course his mind was elsewhere!

And by the way, Rob, I doubt that Louisa would have had to say anything after the embrace!!!

I wonder what others think....

I am amazed that anyone thinks that after 3+ years of frustrated love and lust; after dreams of each other; after LG was willing to have sex on a kitchen table after one serious kiss with DM; after DM realized after the break-up how desperately empty his life is without LG in it; that, after that embrace, that declaration and acceptance of marriage, that lifting of her off the Earth into his arms, that DM would plop her back down, pick up his equipment and say "Well, gotta go. See you later." And, that if he had LG, who, we saw, is so insecure she had to ask him if after a night of crazed weasel sex if he was "okay" with it, if LG would let him go, without freaking out in her ultrasensitivite response to abandonment, her huge issue, at that very moment when she has put her emotions and soul on the line, and answer "Okay, sure. Don't forget to come back for sex later, if you can."

No way!

They went upstairs and had sex right after that. Absolutely without a doubt for me! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Portwenn59 wrote: »
    I just rewatched that part. I was wrong, it doesn't look like there were any patients in the waiting room. I'll still stand by the less romantic version.:)

I just watched it again and indeed it is evening. The lamps in Louisa's house were on and the surgery was empty. I could possibly endorse the non romantic version if the Doc and Louisa were normal, mature, sexually active people but the Doc is a pretty stunted individual in many aspects and Louisa has her baggage as well. To be in the throes of this emotionally passionate moment they would not be able to stop and not consummate their passion. I agree many people could (like me ...maybe...depends on the situation ), but given chance to think about it I believe Martin would get embarrassed at his loss of control or nervous or something and might not do what needed to be done. In my humble opinion, in this case, "He who hesitates is lost." And the Doc and Louisa were certainly winners (hence JH later)
  • mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I almost hesitate to bring the fairy tale back into the discussion, but I, too, tend to watch only murder/mystery series, unless I'm watching Doc Martin, of course. I believe that we are drawn to the dark and mysterious (an essential element in the fairy tale) because life itself is mysterious. The dark side, where we often feel confused, uncomfortable and lost, is a necessary part of one's own life; but to make progress, it must be faced.

I found myself within a forest dark for the straightforward pathway had been lost. Dante

There is no coming to consciousness without pain. People will do anything, no matter how absurd, in order to avoid facing their own Soul. One does not become enlightened by imagining figures of light, but by making the darkness conscious. Carl Jung

Both the murder/mystery and Doc Martin are (each in their own way) engaging us in the inner journey. This the fascination for me.

Well, Last Romantic, I have to say this is definitely not me.

I have never liked the dark, murderous, violent. When I come home from work, and if I watch TV, I want to be amused or educated. I do not ever want dark or nasty images put into my head. It upsets me and injures my spirituality.

I watch "The Big Bang Theory", "Modern Family", "House Hunters" and "House Hunters International", mostly, definitely football when the season is on, and some movie I might channel surf. I loved "The Avengers", and "The Greatest American Hero."

I scrupulously avoid any crime show of any sort, including detective shows. I do not watch shows about dysfunctional people arguing or killing others or zombies or apocalypse or anything like that. I look to culture to uplift me, or entertain me, and darkness doesn't do it for me, although, as you wrote, many people are drawn to it for reasons you've articulated above.

De gustibus non est disputandum. Makes the world go 'round. :):)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just had a quick thought. It was presumptuous of me to suggest I was normal or mature. Sorry.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 392
    Forum Member
    Mofromco wrote: »
    I could possibly endorse the non romantic version if the Doc and Louisa were normal, mature, sexually active people but the Doc is a pretty stunted individual in many aspects and Louisa has her baggage as well. To be in the throes of this emotionally passionate moment they would not be able to stop and not consummate their passion. I agree many people could (like me ...maybe...depends on the situation ), but given chance to think about it I believe Martin would get embarrassed at his loss of control or nervous or something and might not do what needed to be done.

This is exactly my thinking, too, Mofromco. Besides, DM would have risked running into all sorts of "nosy nellies" on his return to LG's. It was bad enough seeing the postman the morning after!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a quick aside..primarily for Last Romantic..Put up with my blah blah blah. I am spending the summer in a small town in Panama as a possible retirement spot. My dh and I moved to Tucson Az to downsize and live small and warm after 25 years in my beloved Colorado. So here I am in the highland rainforest ...pretty isolated . The TV is crap..100 channels of futbol, telenovelas and ancient crappy American movies. Hence I really appreciate finding this forum and getting my UK proxy and I have continued to read our local paper.

OK. This is a headline in the Arizona Daily Star today:
    "Midtown man injured as he tries to remove couch that caught fire"

See Last Romantic, that is Tucson and Cornwall I guess. Sorry if the rest of you don't get the humor. And, by the way , when I am home I only watch Doc Martin.

Got you..just kidding
This discussion has been closed.