Options

New Tricks Series 11

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So why did they break into the bunker, when as the public can do they could have just walked in! If anyone is interested it is in Essex in a place called Kelvedon Hatch, I was there only a few months ago. Really interesting, but a bit run down.
  • Options
    Sweaty Job RotSweaty Job Rot Posts: 2,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flukie wrote: »
    Yes, I've enjoyed this series as well.

Mainly because unlike the majority of people who moan on here, I realise it's a different programme now because it's different characters.

I'll be buying this series to go with all the others, and I'm looking forward to the next series. Just hope Gerry's replacement is someone I don't dislike. I've been lucky so far with Nick, Denis and Tamzin!

You can call it moaning if you prefer but I belive the proper term is constructive criticism, as a writer to my knowledge I have never had a script accepted that was as bad as last nights effort, first to admit I do sometimes write below par material.

And the viewers are just not connecting with Ouchwaite & Limphurst, there are actors out there who would have fulfilled the roles better.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    icefall wrote: »
    Danny with the ghettoblaster was legend!
    Correct me if I am wrong but did Frankie Goes To Hollywood take soundbites from the scary Nuclear Warning video for the Two Tribes record (especially the 12 inch version)

Frankie didn't use samples as they wouldn't have got clearance, rather they got Patrick Allen to re-record the bits they wanted, plus some extras like "Mine is they last voice you will ever hear - do not be alarmed".

NT did seem to be implying that all this bunker stuff was top-top secret back then. It was well known that bunkers existed and there were lists of people who were expected to go to them if the balloon went up along with very scarey powers the government would take.
    I thought Sasha and Danny rather overdid the moralising with the dad at the end (not for the first time on NT) - if the country really was on high alert someone like him had no choice and in anycase people have had to choose between duty and family in times of crisis for millenia. Danny at least should've recalled what the Cold War was like.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can I just say Julian Simpson is the biggest problem that ' NT' has/had ,an arrogant waste of space.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 146
    Forum Member
    Can I just say Julian Simpson is the biggest problem that ' NT' has/had ,an arrogant waste of space.
    You can say it, but I have to question why? I've found that episodes penned by this man are usually among the best, although his Fleet River offering this year was pretty poor. Generally I find the episodes by Simpson, Simon Allen and of course Roy Mitchell are all very good. It's the rest of the writers that make a mess of things.
  • Options
    chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed it
  • Options
    Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed it too, although I thought the love interest for Sacha was a strange choice and didn't get any real chemistry between them.

Last night made me realise that I will really miss Gerry when he goes :(
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can say it, but I have to question why? I've found that episodes penned by this man are usually among the best, although his Fleet River offering this year was pretty poor. Generally I find the episodes by Simpson, Simon Allen and of course Roy Mitchell are all very good. It's the rest of the writers that make a mess of things.

Yes The Forth Man from series 7 was written by him that is one of my favorite episodes.
  • Options
    GeenyGeeny Posts: 725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ienjoyed it, the personal lives is great and Stricklad
  • Options
    GeenyGeeny Posts: 725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A bit off topic but anyone else have problems with last series dvd I had to go to hmv and replace 3 times then gave up, still haven't re watched ep 1 or 2
  • Options
    M@nterikM@nterik Posts: 6,982
    Forum Member

He may well be arrogant, I do not know him, but I do like his episodes generally.
  • Options
    diablodiablo Posts: 8,300
    Forum Member
    Too much emphasis and lingering on the cast's personal lives, and not enough detective work
    Original series had a better balance

Agreed.

I skipped through the first bit, found the rest of it passed the time but not much more. Silly stuff with 80s boombox indeed. :(

I think they need a new cops show to replace it as this one is getting really tired.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I know he is a good writer but its his arrogance when criticism is levelled in regards to NT, and his blind defence of Marston Bloom really annoys.

I have had work panned but i know to dare criticise the critiques is simply stupid.
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,406
    Forum Member
    IIRC, near Bath there was a similar "secret" site, which did not appear on any maps.

A new proposal for a new road was published by the Dept of Transport, which went smack bang through the middle of this site, as they did not know it was there, as it was not on any maps, this wad before the days of satellite mapping.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Really enjoyed tonights episode, bit nostalgic remeber being absolutely terrified of those government warnings as a teenager. Bit weird seeing 'Wycliffe' as the dad though.
    I was more frightened of CND
    clm2071 wrote: »
    Unfortunately the characters of Sasha and Danny are just not sympathetic, I just can't connect to them at all. So wooden and one dimensional.

I like Sasha. Actually I like all of them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last night I watched an episode of the old "gang" on Alibi. I had seen it before, but couldn't remember the ending, but what a pleasure to re-watch. The characters just gelled, they had life to them and you could see how well they all got on together off screen as well as on. You might call it charisma. Once upon a time I wouldn't miss an episode, but not any more, and certainly not after the last remaining "gang" member leaves.

I can't understand why there is so much emphasis on Nicholas Lyndhurst's character, to the detriment of Denis Lawson and the other chap (can't even remember his name):blush:, and IMO Tamsin Outhwaite is trying to imitate Sandra not at all successfully.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some pretty desperate attempts made with the scripts to improve the "viewer appeal" of the main characters, Sadly it isn't working.
    Is it because they want to make another series, or because the stories are so weak?

"Wycliffe" was mentioned. He's been turning up in dramas, only as a "bit part actor" these days, seems a bit sad for him, but maybe that's his choice.
  • Options
    catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

"Wycliffe" was mentioned. He's been turning up in dramas, only as a "bit part actor" these days, seems a bit sad for him, but maybe that's his choice.

He (Jack Shepherd) was starring in a touring stage play for the first few months of this year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    catsitter wrote: »
    He (Jack Shepherd) was starring in a touring stage play for the first few months of this year.

I'm not surprised, an astute strategy, you can get over-used by TV networks, then they can drop you like a stone.
    Angela Griffin, who was in "everything" at one time, said in a recent interview that she was out of work for the whole of 2013, before she got the part in "Lewis."

"I can see why."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not surprised, an astute strategy, you can get over-used by TV networks, then they can drop you like a stone.
    Angela Griffin, who was in "everything" at one time, said in a recent interview that she was out of work for the whole of 2013, before she got the part in "Lewis."

"I can see why."

My heart bleeds for her, let me go fetch the worlds tiniest violin. 😃 👼
  • Options
    FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MJS wrote: »
    I can't understand why there is so much emphasis on Nicholas Lyndhurst's character, to the detriment of Denis Lawson and the other chap (can't even remember his name):blush:, and IMO Tamsin Outhwaite is trying to imitate Sandra not at all successfully.
    I don't think that's the case at all. The problem there is that the producers have tried to replace one female blonde boss with another, which IMO was just one of many mistakes let alone the associated 'Ned' nonsense.

Naturally some people are going to think 'she's another Sandra', although Sasha doesn't have anything of Sandra's dominant personality and confidence, nor resembles her physically. I think it would have been a better idea if they were to continue NT, maybe to have replaced Sandra with a bloke to avoid any comparisons.

But the best solution of all would have been to have ended NT at least one series ago.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FrankBT wrote: »
    I don't think that's the case at all. The problem there is that the producers have tried to replace one female blonde boss with another, which IMO was just one of many mistakes let alone the associated 'Ned' nonsense.

Naturally some people are going to think 'she's another Sandra', although Sasha doesn't have anything of Sandra's dominant personality and confidence, nor resembles her physically. I think it would have been a better idea if they were to continue NT, maybe to have replaced Sandra with a bloke to avoid any comparisons.

But the best solution of all would have been to have ended NT at least one series ago.

I thought the best bits this week, were those with Lyndhurst and his "Ghetto Blaster,"
    I also thought that was somewhat indicative of the quality of this episode.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FrankBT wrote: »

If they had got someone with a different hair colour then someone would say they were trying to make her look different.

Why is it that people always concentrate on hair colour / style when a female actors or presenter is replaced. You don't hear the same of male actors or presenters.

You don't have to watch the series if you don't want to.
  • Options
    Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed it too, although I thought the love interest for Sacha was a strange choice and didn't get any real chemistry between them.

Last night made me realise that I will really miss Gerry when he goes :(

:(

Is that the end of the current series?

(Have been away and just caught up on i player.)
  • Options
    turfmiketurfmike Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    k9fan wrote: »
    :(

Is that the end of the current series?

(Have been away and just caught up on i player.)

Yes that's the end.

I have enjoyed the series as a whole. I felt with the Old team that towards the end we didn't see enough of their private life but now maybe it has gone too far the other way.

Unless they can bring in someone special to replace Gerry, I can't see it surviving.