The BBC is a national disgrace.

Comments

• carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,687
    Forum Member
    Mariesam wrote: »
    There is no need to be rude....
    Good job I wasn't then, isn't it?! Seriously! Which bit of my post was "rude"?
    Its the first time I have said that the 'BBCs quality is getting worse and worse' on here I am entitled to an opinion?
    Of course and you're welcome to it.
    ....and I haven't repeated it ad nauseum as you said
    It is something that does get repeated quite often on here though. That was my point. It was not aimed at you personally.

And repeating it twice was simply an attempt at joviality :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,718
    Forum Member
    spiney2 wrote: »
    the bbc has had a politically motivated 25% budget cut. A miracle it still exists .......

All cuts and rises in public services finances are political.
  • Johnny_CashJohnny_Cash Posts: 2,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    onecitizen wrote: »
    The BBC is inadequate and not fit for purpose.

How does one make it adequate?
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this thread is huge fun ! Who wants to blame bbc for global warming ? Don't be shy, have a go ........
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How does one make it adequate?

I keep getting spam e-mails trying to con me into buying products to make me more "adequate", perhaps I should forward one of those onto someone at the BBC?

Or maybe the BBC isn't inadequate in that particular department? :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    all those repeats on itv 2 and 3 ...... is it nobody knows cos nobody watches them ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    I keep getting spam e-mails trying to con me into buying products to make me more "adequate", perhaps I should forward one of those onto someone at the BBC?

Or maybe the BBC isn't inadequate in that particular department? :D

beeb endlessly has sand kicked in face by tabloid bullies ....... maybe needs a charles atlas course ? In just 7 days u can have tv channels like THESE.......
    Forum Member
    beeb endlessly has sand kicked in face by tabloid bullies ....... maybe needs a charles atlas course ? In just 7 days u can have tv channels like THESE.......

Surely tabloids are allowed to and should scrutinize the BBC?
    Forum Member
    all those repeats on itv 2 and 3 ...... is it nobody knows cos nobody watches them ?

ITV are a commercial organisation they can show as many repeats as they want as long as its within the law.
  • MeicYMeicY Posts: 2,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jack1 wrote: »
    Surely tabloids are allowed to and should scrutinize the BBC?

If that's all they did that would be fine. But four of the five tabs (Sun, Star, Mail, Express) are owned by people with vested interests in destroying the BBC (Murdoch, Richard Desmond, Associated Newspapers). Therefore they don't so much scrutinise as nit-pick. And when it's done back to them, it's an "abuse of power" by the BBC. Can't win.
    Forum Member
    MeicY wrote: »
    If that's all they did that would be fine. But four of the five tabs (Sun, Star, Mail, Express) are owned by people with vested interests in destroying the BBC (Murdoch, Richard Desmond, Associated Newspapers). Therefore they don't so much scrutinise as nit-pick. And when it's done back to them, it's an "abuse of power" by the BBC. Can't win.

The BBC will always get criticized, it has to accept that as PSB this will happen. One persons knit picking (and i'm not saying it doesn't happen) is another persons legitimate criticism.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Criticism is fine, where it goes awry is when that criticism is far from justified at any reasonable level, where it lacks any credibility and panders only to those with an agenda or fixation.
  • onecitizenonecitizen Posts: 5,042
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Criticism is fine, where it goes awry is when that criticism is far from justified at any reasonable level, where it lacks any credibility and panders only to those with an agenda or fixation.

Alternatively there are those on this forum who believe any criticism of the BBC is unjustified and will resort to personal abuse to those who don't share their own view of things.
    I think these people lack credibility.
  • A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ITV are a commercial organisation they can show as many repeats as they want as long as its within the law.

And would show even more if there was no BBC as competition.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alternatively there are those on this forum who believe any criticism of the BBC is unjustified and will resort to personal abuse to those who don't share their own view of things.
    I believe that no one poster on this forum has ever indicated that any criticism of the BBC is justified, or that the BBC is perfect.

Personal abuse, if given, should be reported as this contravenes the DS posting guidelines.
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

There is constructive criticism where constructive criticism is due.

Then there are several threads with nonsense titles like "The BBC is a national disgrace".

:p
  • tiger2000tiger2000 Posts: 8,541
    Forum Member

Maybe if you did not personally start multiple threads about the BBC basically all saying the same thing you would not get such abuse, perhaps can you explain why you feel it is alright for you to break the forum rules by continually spamming the forum with your anti BBC bile?
  • Diamond statDiamond stat Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    I believe that no one poster on this forum has ever indicated that any criticism of the BBC is justified, or that the BBC is perfect.

Personal abuse, if given, should be reported as this contravenes the DS posting guidelines.

I think it depends on who you personally abuse. Personal abuse is not tolerated unless it is towards someone with any type of sympathy towards UKIP or anyone who questions the existence of the BBC it seems.
  • James68James68 Posts: 428
    Forum Member
    BBC: Best TV in the World/BBC: Total Waste. 'and the band played on' Yep - it sure does here on DS!
    Forum Member
    A.D.P wrote: »
    And would show even more if there was no BBC as competition.

How could you possibly know this? Predicting what the media would be like without the BBC would be near impossible to do.
    Forum Member
    tiger2000 wrote: »
    Maybe if you did not personally start multiple threads about the BBC basically all saying the same thing you would not get such abuse, perhaps can you explain why you feel it is alright for you to break the forum rules by continually spamming the forum with your anti BBC bile?

If you feel that's the case why haven't you reported the member in question?
  • mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    To be fair the op's thread title was rather hyperbolic. He must have realised the kind of response it was going to get.

Start a thread with an inflammatory title, and a hyperbolic statement, and is it any wonder it got the response that it got?
  • A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How could you possibly know this? Predicting what the media would be like without the BBC would be near impossible to do.

Just look at TV around the world, and also, ITV is bad enough already with the BBC as competition, without the BBC ITV really would go to rubbish,

ITV drama competes with BBC drama, ITV sport competes with BBC sport, and therefore it gets better.
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,687
    Forum Member
    I think it depends on who you personally abuse. Personal abuse is not tolerated unless it is towards someone with any type of sympathy towards UKIP or anyone who questions the existence of the BBC it seems.
    And also whether the "insulted" person either has actually been or if they think the abuse isn't really worth reporting.
  • James68James68 Posts: 428
    Forum Member
    Ich denke, es ist Zeit, Sie zu Bett gingen, as they maybe say in the Rhineland

Go to bed Mr Waring