2015 PDC Darts Thread

Comments

• Terrence ChantTerrence Chant Posts: 1,334,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You going to be doing the annual PL comp again TC ?
    Will there be a Taylor promo tonight? ;)
  • CGG_12CGG_12 Posts: 7,483
    Forum Member
    kobashi100 wrote: »
    dude i was talking about MvG, not RvB.

Ah sorry misread

Ah Van Gerwen will be fine

It's funny enough though, there was so many kneejerks on Twitter and many forums I read last year saying that he'd go on and win loads of World Titles in a row. And plenty writing off Taylor. A lot talking about a Lewis/MvG domination for the forseeable future

I thought MvG was great last year but to be honest I think Anderson really ought to have knocked him out in round 3. Got his revenge last night though!
    Forum Member
    I saw MvG's interview with Dutch Tv last night and he actually looked even more hammered than his one with Sky! Ha! Drowning the sorrows nice and snappy!! :D
  • JBOJBO Posts: 6,148
    Forum Member
    Will there be a Taylor promo tonight? ;)

YOU WILL LISTEN TO WHAT HE HAS TO SAY!:D
  • LiquidSnakeLiquidSnake Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    Just caught up with the semi's from last night. The MVG/Ando game was just amazing. Oozing with top quality throughout. Really hope Ando plays that well in the final tonight because he will win it if he does. I don't see him bottling it, he's beaten Phil a few times this year and he knows he is on form. He won't choke like Vincent or Kim did (those are the only type of players that can be intimidated by Phil - not players like Lewis/MVG/Ando).

Barney did his usual roll over for Phil. It's a shame really because he has the game to beat him but mentally Phil has had him in his pocket for years.

Before the final starts, what are the best match/es of the tournament so far for everyone?

For me it has to be the Klassen/Ando game which was a classic. If I had to show somebody what darts is about and how great it is, that would be the game I'd pick. The MVG/Ando game would be a close 2nd though but the former had slightly more drama.
  • FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    Why have they got someone calling out the scores tonight who sounds like he has a very bad permanent sore throat?
    His hoarse voice is horrible.
    Forum Member

Before the final starts, what are the best match/es of the tournament so far for everyone?

For me it has to be the Klassen/Ando game which was a classic. If I had to show somebody what darts is about and how great it is, that would be the game I'd pick. The MVG/Ando game would be a close 2nd though but the former had slightly more drama.

Can't disagree with that

Klaasen reminds me of MvG when he first switched over. Inconsistent but brilliant when he hits form. Future (PDC) WC winner? I think he very well might!

The tournament hasn't really been oozing with top quality matches. Think 2011 was the last brilliant one overall really

Would be lovely if we had a new champ tonight though, for me!
  • MeicYMeicY Posts: 2,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flukie wrote: »
    Why have they got someone calling out the scores tonight who sounds like he has a very bad permanent sore throat?
    His hoarse voice is horrible.

That's Russ "The Voice" Bray.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russ_Bray

http://www.russthevoicebray.co.uk/index.php/en/
  • RunawayGroomRunawayGroom Posts: 635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kobashi100 wrote: »
    Losing in the semi is killer.

He will get it over it though and be fine come premier league time.

I think it could be a kick up the arse for him loosing tonight. He has been playing to much like the old MVG recently. Every great leg he throws is followed by a garbage leg. His improvment on doubles has been winning him matches like john part suggested. He is gonna be really dangerous in the premier league now though.
  • oblivianoblivian Posts: 4,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In an ideal world I would love Taylor to win tonight for no reasons other than he is a fellow Englishman and I find the level of resentment towards him from many people hilariously funny.
    That said I've always considered Anderson a class act and he deserves a world title I think.
    Sorry to see the end of this years "professional" world championship, it's become a massive Christmas/new year tradition in our house to watch it as often as we can as a family.
    Roll on the premier league.
  • LiquidSnakeLiquidSnake Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    MeicY wrote: »

He's the best IMO, when he does the 180 shout it's more like a guttural growl. It really works for me. They guy that looks like Phil Mitchell is also very good too (too lazy to search his name).
  • Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky need to stop bigging up games so much. They over hype and when they don't deliver it feels flat. Anybody who watched both codes last night, and has at least half a brain, will agree that the Taylor V Barney game was nowhere near as entertaining or exciting as the O'Shea V Mitchell match
    Forum Member
    oblivian wrote: »
    In an ideal world I would love Taylor to win tonight for no reasons other than he is a fellow Englishman and I find the level of resentment towards him from many people hilariously funny.
    That said I've always considered Anderson a class act and he deserves a world title I think.
    Sorry to see the end of this years "professional" world championship, it's become a massive Christmas/new year tradition in our house to watch it as often as we can as a family.
    Roll on the premier league.

Why? I can think of fewer classless sportspeople out there tbh

Legend of the game, but insufferable as a person

His interview with Rod Studd at the Grand Prix 2013, his conduct v Lewis at Grand Prix 2010 and his antics with Barney at the Worlds 2012/2013 top the list.

Not to mention he can be ridiculously patronising and condescending when he wins

As for being a fellow Englishman, Taylor represents himself not his country. I would have thought darts and snooker would more or less be the least "patriotic" sports out there
  • MeicYMeicY Posts: 2,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CGG_12 wrote: »
    As for being a fellow Englishman, Taylor represents himself not his country. I would have thought darts and snooker would more or less be the least "patriotic" sports out there

Any "individual" sport suffers when being forced into a team format. Look at USA attitude to Ryder Cup in Golf, or general disdain of Davis Cup. Look at failure of Nations Cup in snooker. Having said that, Phil Taylor always seems to turn up for England in the PDC World Cup (and before that, the Jocky Wilson cup)
  • MadsocksMadsocks Posts: 3,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jbo wrote: »
    you Will Listen To What He Has To Say!:d
    HE'S ALREADY HERE! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MeicY wrote: »
    Any "individual" sport suffers when being forced into a team format. Look at USA attitude to Ryder Cup in Golf, or general disdain of Davis Cup. Look at failure of Nations Cup in snooker. Having said that, Phil Taylor always seems to turn up for England in the PDC World Cup (and before that, the Jocky Wilson cup)

America never had an attitude in the Ryder Cup when they were dominating it.

Same cannot be said for Taylor when he was dominating the Worlds.
  • oblivianoblivian Posts: 4,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why? I can think of fewer classless sportspeople out there tbh

Legend of the game, but insufferable as a person

His interview with Rod Studd at the Grand Prix 2013, his conduct v Lewis at Grand Prix 2010 and his antics with Barney at the Worlds 2012/2013 top the list.

Not to mention he can be ridiculously patronising and condescending when he wins

No offence but have you ever met many elite sportsmen?
    I have thru work and almost to a man they are rude, self centered and demanding. It's that kind of drive that makes them feel the deep seated urge to never settle for second best in my opinion. I've met several people I once looked up to that turned out to be rather unpleasent.
    Taylor is undoubtedly the greatest ever, I feel lucky to of seen him.
    Can he be a bit of a twat?
    Probably but that comes with the territory for me.
    Respect your opinion of course, just can't agree with you.
    Forum Member
    I have thru work and almost to a man they are rude, self centered and demanding. It's that kind of drive that makes them feel the deep seated urge to never settle for second best in my opinion. I've met several people I once looked up to that turned out to be rather unpleasent.

I don't really care about his personality myself tbh for the record

Whether he's a **** or not doesn't really bother me, I don't know the lad personally and I'm not all that diehard a darts fan to let it bother me from that perspective either

Was only responding to the point you made that people's resentment towards him is "laughable", or words to that effect. I can think of a multitude of reasons people resent him tbh

It doesn't take from his ability mind you, and he's on the verge of winning a 17th World Title which is just nuts, but it doesn't stop him from being a bit of a **** as you say yourself
    Forum Member

Also, on this I'm not quite sure

Any accounts I've heard of lewis and Anderson are that they're very pleasant and up for a laugh at exhibitions and the likes. I've only heard positive accounts of Gando tbh

Dennis Priestly strikes me as an absolute gent also, he wasn't too bad

Being a c**t hardly automatically makes you a better player!!
  • RunawayGroomRunawayGroom Posts: 635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alot of darts players in the PDC have their moments. Lewis has been involved in more controversial matches than anyone in the PDC probably. Even ando has his moments being a nob too. look up 'sniffgate' to see what i mean.
    Forum Member
    Alot of darts players in the PDC have their moments. Lewis has been involved in more controversial matches than anyone in the PDC probably. Even ando has his moments being a nob too. look up 'sniffgate' to see what i mean.

Lewis is fairly harmless though. A lot of his incidents were in his early days (when he was quite immature), and even recent ones (like Burnett) were a bit of a storm in a teacup

Off stage he seems pretty sound, couldn't say the same for Phil though. From talking to people who have met him at exhibitions and so on they said he was very pleasant, had time for everyone and was up for a laugh with punters

You can make a case for any player being a "nob" based on isolated instances to be honest
  • david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky need to stop bigging up games so much. They over hype and when they don't deliver it feels flat. Anybody who watched both codes last night, and has at least half a brain, will agree that the Taylor V Barney game was nowhere near as entertaining or exciting as the O'Shea V Mitchell match

Matches where both players averaged over 100 aren't always great epics. In fact they are rare.

Barney averaged over 103 one PDC final yet he was almost whitewashed by Taylor .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Err yeah Phil, like Artut would be in the practice room telling you how he is going to "trash" you. What utter bullshit.
  • JBOJBO Posts: 6,148
    Forum Member
    Taylor not coming across the plonker on this vt at all
  • Paul1511Paul1511 Posts: 11,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lewis is fairly harmless though. A lot of his incidents were in his early days (when he was quite immature), and even recent ones (like Burnett) were a bit of a storm in a teacup

Off stage he seems pretty sound, couldn't say the same for Phil though. From talking to people who have met him at exhibitions and so on they said he was very pleasant, had time for everyone and was up for a laugh with punters

You can make a case for any player being a "nob" based on isolated instances to be honest

Does anyone think Lewis might smell though?