0315 308 4952 keeps ringing

coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
Forum Member
✭✭✭
We keep getting calls from 0315 308 4952 its an American and a recorded message saying you have won a holiday

We are registered with TPS , so what is the next step

Without ringing them I have not a clue of their,address email address,post code etc etc

So what do you do,ring them up to find out their details and get hit by a scam £££ call ?

Comments

• AppleseedAppleseed Posts: 3,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We keep getting calls from 0315 308 4952 its an American and a recorded message saying you have won a holiday

Without ringing them I have not a clue of their,address email address,post code etc etc

So what do you do,ring them up to find out their details and get hit by a scam £££ call ?

You should be OK calling a number that starts 03 as these are included in landline and mobile inclusive minutes. In short they are seen as 'landlines' from the caller's point of view.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Appleseed wrote: »
    You should be OK calling a number that starts 03 as these are included in landline and mobile inclusive minutes. In short they are seen as 'landlines' from the caller's point of view.

Edit - I just called it (i'm like that) and it's a 'dead' number.
  • coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks,what next ? :)

I am, not alone

http://www.phonespamfilter.co.uk/search.php/03153084952
  • jackthomjackthom Posts: 6,627
    Forum Member

I'm intrigued that the number doesn't come up as "international" as do most of these calls originating from other countries.

Apparently BT are not yet equipped to pass on the numbers to us for some reason.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's because you need to change the dialing code to 001 to call back to the USA, i.e. 001 315 308 4952.

315 is the area code for upstate New York.

Reverse phone lookup "(315) 308-4952 This number is a landline based in Moravia, NY and is unpublished."
    jackthom wrote: »
    I'm intrigued that the number doesn't come up as "international" as do most of these calls originating from other countries.
    A friend of mine in the USA occasionally comes up with their own number prefixed with 0 instead of "international".
  • tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another good website to find out who is behind the calls, although this number doesn't uncover anyone:

http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/03153084952/1

Whatever you do, don't press any numbers when they ask you to, just put the phone down. There are a few people, and I agree with them, who state that pressing 1 (or 3) to speak to someone will a) go nowhere and b) land you with a big bill.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is a lot of mention of TPS and why does this not stop me getting these calls.
    TPS will only stop calls that originate in the UK, calls from outside will not be stopped.

Predictive diallers (as they are called) can be set up to dial any number in an exchange area.
    ie 01234 567890 as the 1st number programmed running through 01234 567891, then 567892 then 567893 etc etc. the fact that you are registered for TPS or are Ex directory will not miss your number out of these calls.

I don't think there is anyway of stopping these calls, it's a bit like spam on you email account, you just have to get used to it.
  • jackthomjackthom Posts: 6,627
    Forum Member
    There is a lot of mention of TPS and why does this not stop me getting these calls.
    TPS will only stop calls that originate in the UK, calls from outside will not be stopped.

Predictive diallers (as they are called) can be set up to dial any number in an exchange area.
    ie 01234 567890 as the 1st number programmed running through 01234 567891, then 567892 then 567893 etc etc. the fact that you are registered for TPS or are Ex directory will not miss your number out of these calls.

I don't think there is anyway of stopping these calls, it's a bit like spam on you email account, you just have to get used to it.

There's always truecall but it's around £80.

I've just bought one and it's a bit more peaceful here now. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bubbsy wrote: »
    That's because you need to change the dialing code to 001 to call back to the USA, i.e. 001 315 308 4952.

315 is the area code for upstate New York.

Reverse phone lookup "(315) 308-4952 This number is a landline based in Moravia, NY and is unpublished."

A friend of mine in the USA occasionally comes up with their own number prefixed with 0 instead of "international".

I see.
    I'd assumed that the 0315 bit might have been one of those new '03' numbers that companies here are starting to use. 0300, 0330, 0370 etc
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see.
    I'd assumed that the 0315 bit might have been one of those new '03' numbers that companies here are starting to use. 0300, 0330, 0370 etc
    If you go here...

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/telecoms/ioi/numbers/numbers_administered/#ukwide

There is a link to a downloadable Excel spreadsheet giving every single 03xxx allocation.

According to that the ranges 03150 to 03159 are "Protected" whatever that may mean.
  • TadpoleTadpole Posts: 1,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to get similar from 01789-000000, maybe on a monthly basis. Again it was an recorded voice with an American accent saying "congratulations you have won a cruise"

01789 is the code for Stratford-upon-Avon.

I just kept hanging up - They stopped ringing in the end.