Black screen of death

rustybucketrustybucket Posts: 201
Forum Member
Very very peed off!

Won't boot up, have tried the reset button (pressing the on button and holding it) as shown on youtube but nothing whatsoever.

Not even a blink of a yellow light, so I guess it could be the hard drive? I'm confused.

Any help welcomed. Ta very much

Comments

• WafcSeanWafcSean Posts: 490
    Forum Member
    have you tried going from HDMI to normal scart if you can, or maybe vise-vers

or, even try holding down the power button down for longer untill you get a longer beeping noise may do a system reset!

Hope i can help
  • TracerTongTracerTong Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try removing the HDD and see if that helps
  • rustybucketrustybucket Posts: 201
    Forum Member
    I've tried removing the HDD, not tried the scart thing, I'm not sure I have a scart lead nowadays. I'll look in the loft.

It appears totally buggered. When I press the PS button on my controller all four lights flash so I don't think it's a display thing, it's either the HDD or hardwear fault I think.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 384
    Forum Member
    when the ps3 is turned off hold power button down and it will turn on keep a hold of the power button untill you here a second beep this should reset the delplay and you should be greeted with a sync you will have to resync pads and redo your display setting but all your account info and download content will be intact let me know how it geos
  • DarkestHourDarkestHour Posts: 1,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very very peed off!

Won't boot up, have tried the reset button (pressing the on button and holding it) as shown on youtube but nothing whatsoever.

Not even a blink of a yellow light, so I guess it could be the hard drive? I'm confused.

Any help welcomed. Ta very much
    when the ps3 is turned off hold power button down and it will turn on keep a hold of the power button untill you here a second beep this should reset the delplay and you should be greeted with a sync you will have to resync pads and redo your display setting but all your account info and download content will be intact let me know how it geos

Sounds like he's already tried it.

So the lights that come on are as usual? Green? Or no lights at all? If no lights, are you sure there's power going to the PS3? Got a different power lead you can try?
    Forum Member
    Sounds like he's already tried it.

So the lights that come on are as usual? Green? Or no lights at all? If no lights, are you sure there's power going to the PS3? Got a different power lead you can try?

Yes the lights come on as usual. I see no yellow light at all.

I think the hard drive is kuput. The light that flashes for the hard drive literally flashes for about a second.

I can eject the cd.

So many youtube vids showing how to reset etc but I know for a fact it's not that so no one seems to be able to help.

My concern is sending it off for repair and it doesn't work or if repaired last.

So annoying.
  • Ross1874Ross1874 Posts: 1,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you have the slim ps3 or the original?
  • WafcSeanWafcSean Posts: 490
    Forum Member
    stop panicing, have you tried it in another tv or with another lead, until you have got another lead, you need to reset display, please do not do anything stupid until you have ruled out the cable, tv or settings!!
  • grilligrilli Posts: 1,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you have checked that the cable is still plugged into the back of the unit havent you?
    sorry but obviously need to check the simple things first.
    Forum Member
    WafcSean wrote: »
    stop panicing, have you tried it in another tv or with another lead, until you have got another lead, you need to reset display, please do not do anything stupid until you have ruled out the cable, tv or settings!!

I'm not panicking........ Yes I have done all the above, another lead in another TV etc, still black screen
    Forum Member
    grilli wrote: »
    you have checked that the cable is still plugged into the back of the unit havent you?
    sorry but obviously need to check the simple things first.

Yes Grilli.

Thanks all so far. Spoke to Sony, they will give me a refurb for £130 I said no. I'm going to send it off to console doctor I think and see if we have any joy.
  • jjesso123jjesso123 Posts: 5,944
    Forum Member
    Black screen of death is corrupted hard drive stick another 2.5'' HD in there and 99% sure it will work.
    Forum Member
    jjesso123 wrote: »
    Black screen of death is corrupted hard drive stick another 2.5'' HD in there and 99% sure it will work.

Jjesso, tried this, bought a new hard drive from Amazon, arrived today and guess what?????

Still the same. Anyone think Amazon will take back the hard drive now I've opened the wrapper?

Looks like it's time to throw it away
  • grilligrilli Posts: 1,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    when you've tried it on another tv youve also tried resetting the display. i know i didnt when i moved mine a few weeks ago and worried me slightly but after holding down the power button, it found it was a different connection. I know with mine i had to turn on holding the power button and sometimes it would power down the first time but then go into reset mode on the second go
    Forum Member
    grilli wrote: »
    when you've tried it on another tv youve also tried resetting the display. i know i didnt when i moved mine a few weeks ago and worried me slightly but after holding down the power button, it found it was a different connection. I know with mine i had to turn on holding the power button and sometimes it would power down the first time but then go into reset mode on the second go

Yes Grilli.

I've tried it on two TV, both with HD and one which has scart so have tried both type of connections.

I've tried the reset on both TV but it's the same issue.

The thing that makes me think it's totally kaput is the fact that when I press the PS button on the controller all four lights flash.

I'm gonna send it to console doctor to see if they can sort it. Typically the new COD is here, I love F1 and I can't play it. I can't justify the cost of a new one at this mo so much else to pay out on.