Comments

• Options
    Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    Absolutely disgusting, but why am I not surprised?
  • Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not surprised in the slightest.
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    River 07 wrote: »

I've come across people with MS, who still manage to work, so it depends. But the guy in the article would have genuine problems I think.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well this bit surprised me, can he still drive?

He explained that he would now be expected to live on £500 a month less than he was getting before and is concerned that he will be unable to go out if he can’t afford to keep his car.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,405
    Forum Member
    woodbush wrote: »

He explained that he would now be expected to live on £500 a month less than he was getting before and is concerned that he will be unable to go out if he can’t afford to keep his car.

Perhaps he has an adapted car?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    indie.star wrote: »
    Perhaps he has an adapted car?

It would need some adaption if this happened.

I was diagnosed with MS about six and a half years ago,” he said. “It affects my memory, walking, my speech, coordination... I can be sitting drinking a coffee and just drop it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,405
    Forum Member
    It would need some adaption if this happened.

I was diagnosed with MS about six and a half years ago,” he said. “It affects my memory, walking, my speech, coordination... I can be sitting drinking a coffee and just drop it.

I was watching Child of Our Time last week and Alison Lapper can drive a car and she doesn't even have arms so I guess it's possible.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    indie.star wrote: »
    I was watching Child of Our Time last week and Alison Lapper can drive a car and she doesn't even have arms so I guess it's possible.

My dad taught a thalidomide girl to pass her driving test. Physical disability is different to a neurological disability
  • Options
    KittiaraKittiara Posts: 2,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really feel for the guy. It sounds like his day-to-day life is a real struggle, and he should receive adequate support. His condition is only likely to get worse, so how can he get and keep a job? It's sad to say, but with the economy as it is, who will hire him anyway?

I have helped people with their forms and assessments. Someone I know scored 0 points last time. I helped him with his appeal, and he was declared a danger to himself and/or others if he were to return to work, just as he had been before. In the meanwhile, he was stuck for weeks without any money coming in, because the system was slow. If it hadn't been for those around him, he would not have had anything to eat during that time.

His mental health was affected by all the stress, too, and not in a positive way. He was so affected that without help with the appeal, he wouldn't have been able to see it through, because it was all too much for him to deal with. He was close to giving up on life completely. It's too easy for people to slip through the net with the way things are.

The system needs a huge overhaul. Right now, it's deeply flawed, counter-effective, and not very humane.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have been getting ESA for a couple of years and have never even had an interview.
    I am not going to encourage them either.
  • Options
    phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps his wife or partner drives for him
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    phill363 wrote: »
    Perhaps his wife or partner drives for him

No mention of a partner.

I'm not suggesting for one minute that the assessment was right, I was confused by the fact that he could driver his car if he was so disabled.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FROM OTHER PEOPLE:

"I can still drive a car that has been adapted. My upper body strength is undiminished; in fact, my arms are stronger now because I use them so much more. My legs are very feeble, however. But their strength fluctuates considerably day-to-day – I don’t know why. And neither, it seems, does anyone else." ~ http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/9350921/Multiple-sclerosis-is-not-a-death-sentence-Jack-Osbourne-there-is-hope.html

"Abject fear of driving was my first "real" symptom of multiple sclerosis, which ultimately led to my diagnosis (albeit in a roundabout way)." ~ http://ms.about.com/b/2010/09/14/driving-and-multiple-sclerosis-do-you-do-it.htm

So driving is neither unlikely or impossible though I'd imagine it's probably safer not to.

Bear in mind Mr MacDonald is on the Isle of Lewis.
    Not very busy roads there. He might just drive a few yards to a shop or whatever. I'd imagine old women are more of a danger than him. [not sexist but a fact - a lot of the old women drivers there are scary on the roads! they hardly ever had accidents. They cause them!.]
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    No mention of a partner.

I'm not suggesting for one minute that the assessment was right, I was confused by the fact that he could driver his car if he was so disabled.

He didn't say anything about driving his car but not affording to keep it, for all we know a relation or neighbour might take him out in it when he wants to.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    Shocking :( My brothers mate who served in the army for 25 yrs has major lung problems. He is on oxygen 24/7 was called in for an assessment by the DWP. He was wheeled in by his wife while carrying a portable oxygen cylinder. They are targeting the wrong people.Get all the young scum (white and black and any other race) off benefits and sort out the immigrants before the genuinely disabled people.:mad:

There are way too many people claiming disability fraudulently I know,, but at least target the young a@@holes who do not intend to work and who are raping our country of funds at the moment. If we don't we will be in dire straits to come.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,363
    Forum Member
    calibra101 wrote: »
    Shocking :( My brothers mate who served in the army for 25 yrs has major lung problems. He is on oxygen 24/7 was called in for an assessment by the DWP. He was wheeled in by his wife while carrying a portable oxygen cylinder. They are targeting the wrong people.Get all the young scum (white and black and any other race) off benefits and sort out the immigrants before the genuinely disabled people.:mad:
    That's what we all know and the Government will go on pretending that they don't think the same.
    Who has five kids these days? Those on benefits, because they can afford to go on having kids. It gets them a bigger council house.
    You see the young women walking around, nails done, hair styled and dyed, tattoos, i phones and posh prams.
    Then all those many able bodied young men who sit at their Play Stations all day drinking lager.
    There are loads of people like this in my area who live life without a care in the world. They call their dole/benefit money as "getting paid" and ask for tic in the pub.
    I am talking about the people who have no intention of ever doing a day's work in their lives and there are plenty of them in my area.
    I am not talking about the many young adults who do want to work for a living but simply cannot find a job and have become disillusioned and depressed at that.

But the Government ignores the scroungers and look to hit the soft targets as usual, this time the ill and the dIsabled. Disgusting.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    LIZALYNN wrote: »
    That's what we all know and the Government will go on pretending that they don't think the same.
    Who has five kids these days? Those on benefits, because they can afford to go on having kids. It gets them a bigger council house.
    You see the young women walking around, nails done, hair styled and dyed, tattoos, i phones and posh prams.
    Then all those many able bodied young men who sit at their Play Stations all day drinking lager.
    There are loads of people like this in my area who live life without a care in the world. They call their dole/benefit money as "getting paid" and ask for tic in the pub.
    I am talking about the people who have no intention of ever doing a day's work in their lives and there are plenty of them in my area.
    I am not talking about the many young adults who do want to work for a living but simply cannot find a job and have become disillusioned and depressed at that.

But the Government ignores the scroungers and look to hit the soft targets as usual, this time the ill and the dIsabled. Disgusting.

Absolutely agree 100%
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "I was diagnosed with MS about six and a half years ago"

I'm presuming a GP and consultant were involved when the initial diagnosis was made and was accepted by DWP ...why bother with these GP's and consultants when you have ATOS who can miraculously diagnose a person's capabilities within minutes - one way to cut the NHS waiting lists I suppose bypass your GP and visit your local ATOS :(

Poor soul I hope he appeals and is successful.
  • Options
    housegirlhousegirl Posts: 6,017
    Forum Member

Yes people can drive with MS my hubby can

http://www.mssociety.org.uk/ms-support/practical-and-financial-help/driving-and-dvla,

I hope this man wins his appeal ATOS are a joke
  • Options
    patsylimerickpatsylimerick Posts: 22,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I picked this line out of the story because I think it's a fair point and, before I clicked, I thought it might have been about someone wanting to work.

We shouldn’t automatically write off a person’s ability to work, solely on the basis of a health condition or disability

Firstly, a family member died about 4 years ago from complications of MS, so I know what I'm talking about.

I also once worked with an MS sufferer. His speech was somewhat slurred and his movements were awkward but he loved his job and was very good at it and was a popular, witty colleague. I don't think MS should automatically exclude you from the workplace.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    A Department for Work and Pensions spokesperson said they make decisions on the evidence that is provided to them.

well that`s a dirty lie right there.
  • Options
    tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well if they can breathe they are fit to work and shouldn't scrounge.

/Tory mode.
    I jest of course
  • Options
    mourinhosmissusmourinhosmissus Posts: 5,593
    Forum Member
    francie wrote: »
    "I was diagnosed with MS about six and a half years ago"

I'm presuming a GP and consultant were involved when the initial diagnosis was made and was accepted by DWP ...why bother with these GP's and consultants when you have ATOS who can miraculously diagnose a person's capabilities within minutes - one way to cut the NHS waiting lists I suppose bypass your GP and visit your local ATOS :(

Poor soul I hope he appeals and is successful.

Atos are an absolute joke, so their input does not surprise me in the least.
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well that`s a dirty lie right there.

Seems to be. I've heard so many accounts of people having provided letters from GP's and consultants etc (who KNOW their patients) and yet ATOS finds them "fit for work" - it's a total farce, imo. Thankfully some (who are able to appeal) win their cases but the stress and worry they go through must be horrendous. :(
  • Options
    tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    francie wrote: »
    Seems to be. I've heard so many accounts of people having provided letters from GP's and consultants etc (who KNOW their patients) and yet ATOS finds them "fit for work" - it's a total farce, imo. Thankfully some (who are able to appeal) win their cases but the stress and worry they go through must be horrendous. :(

IIRC aren't the Tories trying to stop people from appealing?