Options

Sorry, why was Evander's opinion offensive?!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,402
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm sorry... but I don't think he said anything offensive. He just shared HIS opinion, which he should be allowed to have.

It's okay if gay people are allowed to fight for their beliefs, but not okay for someone who is religious and believes in God to share theirs?! What kind of world are we living in here?! I'm not saying his views are right or wrong BUTTTT he's allowed to have them as long as he expresses them in a civilized and respectful manner.

Completely ridiculous. It's basically double standards.

People shouldn't discriminate. That is all. Other than that, each individual is entitled to their own opinion - take the Digital Spy forum rules for example.

Comments

• Options
    The AmbassadorThe Ambassador Posts: 5,631
    Forum Member
    I'm sorry... but I don't think he said anything offensive. He just shared HIS opinion, which he should be allowed to have.

It's okay if gay people are allowed to fight for their beliefs, but not okay for someone who is religious and believes in God to share theirs?! What kind of world are we living in here?! I'm not saying his views are right or wrong BUTTTT he's allowed to have them as long as he expressed them in a civilized and respectful manner.

So you're not sorry, then?
  • Options
    smokencheesesmokencheese Posts: 2,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Imagine if he'd said the same about race or disabled people.

It IS offensive.
  • Options
    FanntastikFanntastik Posts: 12,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He has every right to share his opinion and BB has every right to warn him. I can definitely see why it would be offensive, especially to the LGBT community.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 472
    Forum Member
    well said OP !!

but sadly this forum loves all this PC drama and we are gonna have pages and pages of all this BS now .
  • Options
    Dr. ClawDr. Claw Posts: 7,375
    Forum Member
    Imagine if he'd said the same about race or disabled people.

It IS offensive.

no not to everyone which is why handing out warnings for things which doesnt offend everyone is stupid
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's okay if gay people are allowed to fight for their beliefs, but not okay for someone who is religious and believes in God to share theirs?! What kind of world are we living in here?! I'm not saying his views are right or wrong BUTTTT he's allowed to have them as long as he expresses them in a civilized and respectful manner.

People shouldn't discriminate. That is all. Other than that, each individual is entitled to their own opinion - take the Digital Spy forum rules for example.

Because he is saying gay people should be fixed and compared it to having a disability.
    If someone said something racist would you still say this?
  • Options
    freddieaxlfreddieaxl Posts: 1,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because he compared gay people to disabled people
  • Options
    SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure how people fighting for equal rights is the same as someone saying something that others may find hurtful. Where is the comparison here?

As for it being offensive, of course it is to some. I don't think he should have a warning, but if he's entitled to free speech as you say (and he is), so are those who find it offensive and would like to state so.
  • Options
    Stellen11Stellen11 Posts: 8,627
    Forum Member

Totally and utterly correct. If BB want a non thinking PC household then dont invite a christian on. Or a muslim. Or a jew. Religious views are your own and you should not be terrified to express them.
  • Options
    Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member

Are you sorry though , are you really sorry ?
  • Options
    mysty211mysty211 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's fine to have an opinion it's the way he spoke about it thats the offensive part not the fact he doesn't agree with the being gay. More the fact he compared being gay to disabled people which is just ridiculous someone would even say that it's just terrible.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    First he was saying gay people have a choice to not be gay, then he started comparing being gay to having a disability (which is not a choice).

He seemed quite muddled.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stellen11 wrote: »
    Totally and utterly correct. If BB want a non thinking PC household then dont invite a christian on. Or a muslim. Or a jew. Religious views are your own and you should not be terrified to express them.

COMPLETELY agree with that! :)
  • Options
    SnowStorm86SnowStorm86 Posts: 17,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    His opinion (by his own admission) was based largely on the religious teachings he has been exposed to. Jim Davidson yesterday (on a clip) was making the argument of humans having dominion over all other animals, again from the bible. I think these types of commentary do nothing to help Christianity in this evolving world we live in, but at the same time it is hardly surprising when those who subscribe to such religions believe wholeheartedly in the words of their sacred texts. It is a reminder that religion must advance and evolve or it will get left behind.
  • Options
    meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,109
    Forum Member
    It's not quite the same as gay people fighting for their beliefs.
    One is about fighting for the right to be treated equally, the other is about prohibiting others from the same rights as others.
  • Options
    TheWayItIsTheWayItIs Posts: 4,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Being muddled and dense seems to constitute offence worthy of a warning.
  • Options
    jules1000jules1000 Posts: 10,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As far as im concerned he can think and say whatever he wants. Some will agree and some won't. Simples.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    First he was saying gay people have a choice to not be gay, then he started comparing being gay to having a disability (which is not a choice).

He seemed quite muddled.

Well no, it was the same notion. He said that gay people are able to change the way they are, 'get treated', like disabled people. Don't see that as a muddled opinion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    His opinion (by his own admission) was based largely on the religious teachings he has been exposed to. Jim Davidson yesterday (on a clip) was making the argument of humans having dominion over all other animals, again from the bible. I think these types of commentary do nothing to help Christianity in this evolving world we live in, but at the same time it is hardly surprising when those who subscribe to such religions believe wholeheartedly in the words of their sacred texts. It is a reminder that religion must advance and evolve or it will get left behind.

Many religions have evolved past that stage.

But evidently not the particular sects that Evander and Jim follow.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well no, it was the same notion. He said that gay people are able to change the way they are, 'get treated', like disabled people. Don't see that as a muddled opinion.

Ah right, thanks for clarifying that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stellen11 wrote: »

I'd prefer no religion anywhere, thanks.

Cause of a hell of alot of evil.
  • Options
    staffsukstaffsuk Posts: 306
    Forum Member
    Supposing someone turned to a fellow housemate and expressed all of those thoughts - comparing gay people to being handicapped - a choice - wrong and something that should be 'fixed' etc - but about black people instead? What do you think the outcome of that conversation would have been?

So please explain why it is any more acceptable to say those things about gay people?

As a gay man I found it incredibly offensive and a clear reflection of just how far we haven't progressed.

My sexuality was NOT a choice - just as his skin colour wasn't. If I had the choice when I was growing up as a child in a deeply homophobic society - don't you think I would have made the choice not to be gay?
  • Options
    SammmymackSammmymack Posts: 1,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »

He seemed quite muddled.

A good point. It's contradictory to say fix the problem and then that the problem is a choice.
    I like to use the analogy of "handedness " ie being born left or right handed. You just naturally prefer one to the other and choice doesn't come into it. In previous years left handed children were forced in school to write with their right hand but secretly reverted to using their left hand for other tasks. A useful analogy I feel for education purposes when you come across homophobia.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    staffsuk wrote: »
    Supposing someone turned to a fellow housemate and expressed all of those thoughts - comparing gay people to being handicapped - a choice - wrong and something that should be 'fixed' etc - but about black people instead? What do you think the outcome of that conversation would have been?

So please explain why it is any more acceptable to say those things about gay people?

As a gay man I found it incredibly offensive and a clear reflection of just how far we haven't progressed.

My sexuality was NOT a choice - just as his skin colour wasn't. If I had the choice when I was growing up as a child in a deeply homophobic society - don't you think I would have made the choice not to be gay?

Excellent post:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't think for a second religion needs to 'advance' or 'evolve' around human beings, in fact, it should be the exact opposite. We should adapt society around teachings of the said religion. That is of course, if there is one religion running among the group.

The words of holy text have been applied for centuries to society so there shouldn't be any problem applying those words to modern day living.