Apple stops support for OS X Snow Leopard

StigStig Posts: 12,446
Forum Member
✭✭
Apple appears to have pulled the plug on support for OS X Snow Leopard, leaving a fifth of Macs vulnerable to attack.

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/security/387346/apple-quietly-pulls-support-for-os-x-snow-leopard

Comments

• chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it's a four year old OS and has been superseded by 3 newer releases.
    chances are any system that is currently running SL can and should have been upgraded to Lion 10.7
    anyone still running a PowerPC mac (and those numbers will be very small) that is limited to SL really can't expect support to continue forever.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apples always been pretty much the latest 3 versions of whatever are supported and as by then the hardware to run it will be out of applecare and thus in need of replacement with new shiny stuff according to Culpertino.
  • Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    Apples always been pretty much the latest 3 versions of whatever are supported

Has it?

As Apple doesn't publish a support lifecycle of any kind, people simply can't tell.
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Daveoc64 wrote: »
    Has it?

As Apple doesn't publish a support lifecycle of any kind, people simply can't tell.

it's easy to work it out based on anecdotal evidence.
    the trend has always been 3 release cycles.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I still use Snow Leopard! Will this mean I'll have to upgrade? :(
  • victorslotvictorslot Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you can.

I'm using a MacBook Pro, not a PowerBook but because it only has a Core Duo chip it won't upgrade past Snow Leopard. If it does cause problems later on I will simply switch to A Linux Distro.
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,417
    Forum Member
    Daveoc64 wrote: »
    Has it?

This is the main wall that is always going to stop Apple from ever being taken seriously in the corporate environment. Even if they were to say something like only the last 2 releases are supported wouldn't be so bad as just keeping quiet and randomly pulling the plug like they currently do. The lack of any kind of confirmation from Apple now also speaks volumes about their attitude to past customers. This was one of the main reasons I decided not to get another Mac.
    chenks wrote:
    anyone still running a PowerPC mac (and those numbers will be very small) that is limited to SL really can't expect support to continue forever.
    PPC wasn't supported on Snow Leopard.... Snow Leopard was however, the last release that supported 32bit Intel CPUs* (Core Solo and Core Duo). I believe there were also some Macs that even if they had a suitable CPU (eg. Core2Duo) only had a 32bit board/efi which caused the 10.7 upgrade to fail.

*Early builds of 10.7 supported 32bit Macs via a workaround but this got plugged on the final release.
  • Dark 1Dark 1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    s2k wrote: »
    PPC wasn't supported on Snow Leopard.... Snow Leopard was however, the last release that supported 32bit Intel CPUs* (Core Solo and Core Duo). I believe there were also some Macs that even if they had a suitable CPU (eg. Core2Duo) only had a 32bit board/efi which caused the 10.7 upgrade to fail.

*Early builds of 10.7 supported 32bit Macs via a workaround but this got plugged on the final release.

Snow Leopard didn't run on PPC, but it was the last version to support PPC via Rosetta. It's for that reason I still keep it around on my MacBook Air.
  • rottweilerrottweiler Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just upgraded my 2007 Mac mini to a dual core 2 so I can now run Lion, is there a free download anywhere as the Apple store want £15 !!!
  • 1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rottweiler wrote: »
    I've just upgraded my 2007 Mac mini to a dual core 2 so I can now run Lion, is there a free download anywhere as the Apple store want £15 !!!

£15 is a bargain.
    spread that cost over the yrs youve been using Osx and add the yrs ahead usage you will get.

Then £15 is worth it :)
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1saintly wrote: »
    £15 is a bargain.
    spread that cost over the yrs youve been using Osx and add the yrs ahead usage you will get.

Then £15 is worth it :)

Agreed £15 is reasonable for an OS upgrade. Although they've changed tack now and Mavericks is free. And once you get that, the latest versions of the iWork and ilife apps are free.
  • zapodzapod Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My early 2008 (Penryn) Macbook Pro shipped with Leopard IIRC, but is the oldest hardware able to run Mavericks and that will be on 6 year old hardware.

If I remember too, I had to buy SL on CD to update Leopard, then immediately download and update to Lion, then updated to Mountain Lion when that was released. Had to pay for SL, Lion and ML upgrades. Over the life of the system the cost is reasonable I think.

My advice is if you have a system that shipped with SL, you most certainly can upgrade to the latest OS (just whack in some additional RAM… maybe an SSD too :D)
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hell! They don't support their OSs for very long. Five years and they've decided to stop support for it. They don't support their OSs for very long.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zapod wrote: »
    My early 2008 (Penryn) Macbook Pro shipped with Leopard IIRC, but is the oldest hardware able to run Mavericks and that will be on 6 year old hardware.

If I remember too, I had to buy SL on CD to update Leopard, then immediately download and update to Lion, then updated to Mountain Lion when that was released. Had to pay for SL, Lion and ML upgrades. Over the life of the system the cost is reasonable I think.

My advice is if you have a system that shipped with SL, you most certainly can upgrade to the latest OS (just whack in some additional RAM… maybe an SSD too :D)

Apple seem to be allowing their users to upgrade their Mac Mini if they want to. There's an easily removable cover on the bottom that when opened, shows the memory. Saw this on YouTube.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Hell! They don't support their OSs for very long. Five years and they've decided to stop support for it. They don't support their OSs for very long.

The OS is really just a way to get you to buy their hardware which is where they make the serious money so it doesn't make much sense to keep supporting it too long.
  • emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree.
    I've got an old ibook G4 that still running 10.4.11 'Tiger', so it's way out of date. :eek:
    And yet it dates from 2003/04, so is younger than XP machines which are only now losing support.

Mind you it's only switched on every couple of weeks, and I rarely go online with it, so I'm not too worried about the security of it

I did try an appropriate Ubuntu live CD on it a while back, and everything worked except the sound.
    But being powerPC I'd be very limited in what would be compatible.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The OS is really just a way to get you to buy their hardware which is where they make the serious money so it doesn't make much sense to keep supporting it too long.

Yeah, I realise that their main aim is to get their hardware sold. I didn't make the connection before with stopping support for a 5-year-old OS and people having to buy new hardware.
    Forum Member
    rottweiler wrote: »
    Have you confirmed it will actually work on your Mini? The one I had shipped with a CoreDuo but could take a Core2Duo if I upgraded it myself. Lion still wouldn't work though as the motherboard firmware was 32bit.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yep, Apple works in a different way to MS, ok MS do sell hardware now, but windows will work on other machines, Mac Os won't.

Yeah, i know you can get it to work, but it is not meant to.
    i am pretty sure MS would have dropped Xp years ago if they could have, but releasing a Os that very few people liked (Vista) did not really help. Maybe if vista was what Windows 7 is, Xp support may have been dropped years ago.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    Yep, Apple works in a different way to MS, ok MS do sell hardware now, but windows will work on other machines, Mac Os won't.

Yeah, i know you can get it to work, but it is not meant to.
    i am pretty sure MS would have dropped Xp years ago if they could have, but releasing a Os that very few people liked (Vista) did not really help. Maybe if vista was what Windows 7 is, Xp support may have been dropped years ago.

I didn't think there was that much wrong with Vista. I think Windows 8 is the OS that Microsoft have cocked-up. Why they removed the start menu, I don't know. If they wanted to experiment with a different layout in an OS, they should have made two. They then could have just sat back and let the sales figures tell them if they should have carried on making the OS that Windows 8/8.1 has, as well as the design that people are used to. I'm surprised they didn't think of this.
  • MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    Apple appears to have pulled the plug on support for OS X Snow Leopard, leaving a fifth of Macs vulnerable to attack.

The last "Snow Leopard" OS update (10.6.8) was in June 2011. That's when "support" really stopped.

Vulnerable to which attack? There's nothing out there (unless you are daft enough to install malware yourself).
    Forum Member
    unless you are daft enough to install malware yourself.
    Yeah because it's not like people ever do that....
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The last "Snow Leopard" OS update (10.6.8) was in June 2011. That's when "support" really stopped.

Vulnerable to which attack? There's nothing out there (unless you are daft enough to install malware yourself).

What a naive world you live in.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ha! Ha! Seriously? Okay, a Mac is probably more secure than Windows, but don't go thinking that there's nothing out there that can attack the Mac OS.
  • joe-mediajoe-media Posts: 225
    Forum Member
    Dark 1 wrote: »
    Snow Leopard didn't run on PPC, but it was the last version to support PPC via Rosetta. It's for that reason I still keep it around on my MacBook Air.

You're getting mixed up. Snow Leopard was the last version to support Rosetta if needed for apps programmed for PowerPC. Leopard was the last OS to support PowerPC architecture. I should know this because my PowerPC iMac G5 does not run Snow Leopard.

Have a Google, you'll see that it's true.