Options

Dating Sites

So, who here has been on dating sites? What's your experience been with them?

I've been on OkCupid for years and met some interesting guys... had a couple of relationships but nothing serious.

Last year I thought I'd try my luck with eHarmony, thinking that if people were willing to pay they'd be more serious. It was such a waste of time and money; pay websites don't actually let you know who is paying and who isn't, so you could be writing all these lovely emails to people who couldn't read them!

Comments

• Options
    mike joycemike joyce Posts: 1,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. I am guessing a girl would only respond to you if you had a pic up but that would put a woman off me even more.

I have nothing against those that do but it would be pointless for me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been on POF for a few years and it's getting worse. On Guardian Soulmates now and it's a lot more fruitful, the men are able to spell their home town for a start.
  • Options
    Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    POF is an awful site. For some reason it seems to attract barely literate chavs in my experience.

Match used to be ok, but I've no idea what it's like now.
  • Options
    AnitaSAnitaS Posts: 4,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Guardian Soulmates for me. Though it makes me feel dull because I don't go abseiling and paragliding in my spare time. And my holidays are relaxing on a sandy beach, not trekking through the Himalayas or cycling the Inca trail.
  • Options
    DanniLaMoneDanniLaMone Posts: 2,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mike joyce wrote: »
    No. I am guessing a girl would only respond to you if you had a pic up but that would put a woman off me even more.

I have nothing against those that do but it would be pointless for me.

I would love to see a picture of you mike. I don't think you are as ugly as you think you are.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Hi all,
    I registered here and I can assure you that the site is very effective
  • Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mygo wrote: »
    Hi all,

Spammer alert!:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hear Match is a real fook fest.
  • Options
    wear thefoxhatwear thefoxhat Posts: 3,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would love to see a picture of you mike. I don't think you are as ugly as you think you are.

Agreed, also I think there is somebody out there for everyone, though sadly you may not stumble across them.
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whatever happened to going out and meeting people?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    mygo wrote: »
    Hi all,

I entered my card and passport details like I was requested to but nothing happened?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NX-74205 wrote: »

The internet is the new blind date.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    GeoBa92 wrote: »
    I entered my card and passport details like I was requested to but nothing happened?

Passport details. :eek: Did they want your National Insurance number as well?
    U96 wrote: »
    I hear Match is a real fook fest.

But, is it actually true.
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well somebody I know just met a really great guy through internet dating. It can work, apparently. :)
  • Options
    christina83christina83 Posts: 11,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's crap.
  • Options
    Danny_GirlDanny_Girl Posts: 2,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NikkiJayne wrote: »
    So, who here has been on dating sites? What's your experience been with them?

I've been on OkCupid for years and met some interesting guys... had a couple of relationships but nothing serious.

Last year I thought I'd try my luck with eHarmony, thinking that if people were willing to pay they'd be more serious. It was such a waste of time and money; pay websites don't actually let you know who is paying and who isn't, so you could be writing all these lovely emails to people who couldn't read them!

A friend of mine (a real friend not me :)) tried an internet dating site a few years ago. Was emailing a guy should thought was really nice, just friendly emails, nothing heavy, while they got to know each other before meeting up for the first time. After about 4 weeks she got an email with an attachment and there it was, a picture of his erect penis :o. Can't quite work out his rationale - this is going well, lots in common, moving towards meeting up, yes, time to show her my todger.

She didn't answer his email and we still laugh about it now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I read an article about Drawing Down the Moon (posh one), and although it says they take people "from their 20's to their 70's", it said that in fact that is only men, and they don't take women over 50 because they can't find dates for them. Even though I am not looking for a date, I find that depressing. They also won't take women over a certain size or men under a certain height. I guess someone spending a lot of money on a bespoke dating site expects a date to fit in with their aspirations, but it still seems a bit body fascist to say absolutely no overweight women or short men.
  • Options
    ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    I read an article about Drawing Down the Moon (posh one), and although it says they take people "from their 20's to their 70's", it said that in fact that is only men, and they don't take women over 50 because they can't find dates for them. Even though I am not looking for a date, I find that depressing. They also won't take women over a certain size or men under a certain height. I guess someone spending a lot of money on a bespoke dating site expects a date to fit in with their aspirations, but it still seems a bit body fascist to say absolutely no overweight women or short men.

I wouldn't read too much into that, or get disheartened by it. I don't see why men over 50 would have an easier time finding someone, than a woman over 50. In fact, I'd say that sounds completely bogus, and I'd find a different site, if I were looking for someone.
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was on Match a few years ago. Kept at it for about a month but never met anyone through there - just exchanged a few messages.

95% of the women on there appeared to be gold diggers after a sugar daddy :D

Some hinted at this obscurely and others brazenly just requested somebody that's say '30+, 50k+' :o

Being 23 or so at the time I was on there to find ladies of a similar age but no girl on there under 25 seemed to be looking for a guy who was anything younger than 30 or 40.

Thinking back it really didn't seem to have much to do with dating at all. A place for older guys to get sex, and younger girls to get.. money?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NX-74205 wrote: »

I have no idea. I met my wife 43 years ago at a dance. Married after 5 months, she was beautiful. We're getting old now but still love each other:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed, also I think there is somebody out there for everyone, though sadly you may not stumble across them.

I'm sure there is but not on dating sites.
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    woodbush wrote: »
    I have no idea. I met my wife 43 years ago at a dance. Married after 5 months, she was beautiful. We're getting old now but still love each other:D
    Now that's lovely.

I don't think it matters where people meet, or how they meet though. If there's chemistry and physical attraction, which develops into enduring love, that's what counts.
  • Options
    Madridista23Madridista23 Posts: 9,422
    Forum Member
    AnitaS wrote: »
    Guardian Soulmates for me. Though it makes me feel dull because I don't go abseiling and paragliding in my spare time. And my holidays are relaxing on a sandy beach, not trekking through the Himalayas or cycling the Inca trail.
    Switch to Tampax. You'd be able to do all that stuff..... and more! :D
  • Options
    Zodiac1Zodiac1 Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    Actually met my current partner through Facebook :)
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    Zodiac1 wrote: »
    Actually met my current partner through Facebook :)
    How did that happen? Were they a friend of a friend?