What would you consign to the tech scrapheap?

My university uses Office 365 for their email system and they changed the layout today and it's vile. It's been Windows 8-ified and it's got to the point where I'm going to use Gmail all the time. I think it's fit for the tech scrapheap. I'd also consign:

Windows 8
Windows Vista
The ribbon toolbar in MS Office
Norton AntiVirus
McAfee Antivirus
Microsoft Access

What software or hardware would you consign o the scrapheap?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anything made by Microsoft. Except the X Box 360.
  • barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    desktop pc -- all brands
    large tablets
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    What about phablets? They look ridiculous.
  • edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Microsoft Outlook. How can any company justify selling a non multi-threaded e-mail client in 2013? Hate it, hate it, hate it.

Oh, and phones with styluses. It makes the user look like they've still got a Palm Pilot :p
  • cat's whiskascat's whiskas Posts: 877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The term "apps"
    Forum Member
    edEx wrote: »
    Oh, and phones with styluses. It makes the user look like they've still got a Palm Pilot :p

I remember the Palm Pilot. Very hip in the 90s but like mobile phones mostly yuppies had them. Some of the late 90s/early 00s ones were good though and they even had downloadable "apps". I actually had one in 2004 :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The iPhone 5c. Hehehe

(Sorry)
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The term "apps"
    I'm definitely with you on that one. Also using the word 'tech' as a collective noun.

I'd love to consign everything made by Apple to the scrapheap, just to watch their slavish users squeal.
  • barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The term "apps"
    it's been around for so many decades, short for applications (programs), I can't see it disappearing
  • PaulS67PaulS67 Posts: 12,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OS X 10.7 and later
    iTunes
    New Google Maps
    Latest versions of Chrome

Probably more, but these are things that have changed in the last few years I would scrap (in favour of the prior good versions)
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anything made by Apple, then we would not have Apple fans droning on and on and on.
  • Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Windows 8
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Microsoft Access
    While Access takes a long time to learn, the results can be very impressive. It's capable of performing complicated operations on a large number of records very quickly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The term "apps"
    Provided the word is reserved for programs run on smartphones and tablets I've no objection.

However, using the word app to refer to programs run on conventional computers can be very confusing.
  • cat's whiskascat's whiskas Posts: 877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John259 wrote: »
    Provided the word is reserved for programs run on smartphones and tablets I've no objection.

However, using the word app to refer to programs run on conventional computers can be very confusing.

I don't have a tablet so can't comment on them, but I agree about smartphones. I don't like the term used for full sized programs, and the "All Apps" screen in W 8 is a joke as that includes control panel items etc
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Windows 8
    Gosh, you do surprise me.
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Picasa
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    Picasa

That's almost in the scrapheap, replaced by G+ Photos :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It shouldn't be confusing. It's meant programs run on conventional computers for a lot longer than it's meant programs run on smartphones and tablets.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    Gosh, you do surprise me.

I don't know what you mean ! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What about phablets? They look ridiculous.

What's a 'phablet' ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's a 'phablet' ?

A big Phone

Cross between tablet and phone
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dan 8t1 wrote: »
    It shouldn't be confusing.
    In conversations about Win8 and Metro, someone uses the expression "desktop app", it can take (me!) a few seconds to realise they're actually talking about an EXE program.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's a 'phablet' ?
    Wikipedia is still working :):)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phablet
    Forum Member
    While Access takes a long time to learn, the results can be very impressive. It's capable of performing complicated operations on a large number of records very quickly.

I had to use it for a university assignment back in early 2009 and my god it was horrendous! You need a PhD in computer science to be able to work it. I never want to use that clunky piece of sh1t again if I can help it. I'm sure there are other database programs out there that are not as clunky as M$ Access. Argh! I hate Microsoft :mad: