Torchwood - Miracle Day - US Pace (8/7/11 on Starz)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Honestly, to me this entire series comes across like Russell and Julie couldn't believe they'd got a US TV commission and in their panic and excitement they lashed out for all their personal favourite US cult TV favourites (writers, Star Trek bit actors) before plastering on (a) a layer of US drama cliches and (b) their own Welsh and gay preoccupations.

And all thrown together without much thought at the last minute.

The result: certainly a more entertaining summer series than Falling Skies but only in the same way that a plane crash is more interesting than a flight on autopilot.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Hi Cameron :)

Thank you for the teasers :)
    Why so many references to the Doctor?

:confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 229
    Forum Member
    I didn't think it was possible for this series of Torchwood to bore me anymore but it did. I have an awful feeling that next weeks episode is going to be a huge let down...but then that'd just be typical RTD. I really hope that Torchwood doesn't get recommissioned tbh or if it does i hope it goes back to just being a 5 parter or just a BBC production. But that's just my opinion..i hope everyone else is enjoying it though :)
  • standinmanstandinman Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    Oh dear am i the only one who thought this episode was good ?????
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^I'm still liking it (as opposed to loving it), but do think they've left themselves a hellova lot to do in the last episode, which makes me fear the finale will be rather disappointing. Also the blessing red crack thingie (that was what thing was, right?!) was rather meh, and didn't they say they had to dig DOWN to find it, but we're we seeing it a ground level, I'm a tad confused. Maybe the last ep will be a double helping.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,139
    Forum Member
    standinman wrote: »

No I did but there seems little point in saying so on here.
  • QuickfadeQuickfade Posts: 5,998
    Forum Member
    Tumpy wrote: »
    No I did but there seems little point in saying so on here.

That's not quite true now, is it. This is a discussion forum, so there will be comments from people who both like and dislike the series so far. It would all be very boring if everyone agreed all the time. Plus, it seems to be the negative opinions that have been shot down in various threads on this forum so far. ;)

I also keep seeing people question why those of us who have been critical of the series so far keep watching it. The answer, in my case anyway, is that I have invested in this show for three seasons. I have invested in the characters of Captain Jack, Gwen, Rhys etc. I care about these characters (well, in the way anyone can 'care' about a fictional TV character) and I want to see them in action on the TV. Unfortunately, in my opinion as a long time Torchwood fan, I feel let down by the current series. I want to watch it, because I enjoy the characters, but the plot has been weak and the writing lazy and I don't see why I can't voice these criticisms without the 'don't like don't watch' brigade jumping on my comments.

But anyway, one episode left. I'm hoping they have a gem saved up for the finale and will go into it with an open mind!
  • lauranceallenlauranceallen Posts: 5,355
    Forum Member
    I'm loving it, i think the acting and the way it portrays how easy it is for people and countries to turn fascist in the right circumstances.

Speaking of the blessing, it seems to me, could it be a big old time vortex in the middle of the world. Like the schism on Gallifrey, it shows you what you become, maybe thats why people kill themselves looking into it. Is this why Jacks blood is affected, its pulling him in because he is time personified. I still dont get how the world became immortal though. Funny though Jack and Rex are becoming sicker and sicker the closer they get to the blessing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 230
    Forum Member
    Quickfade wrote: »
    That's not quite true now, is it. This is a discussion forum, so there will be comments from people who both like and dislike the series so far. It would all be very boring if everyone agreed all the time. Plus, it seems to be the negative opinions that have been shot down in various threads on this forum so far. ;)

I also keep seeing people question why those of us who have been critical of the series so far keep watching it. The answer, in my case anyway, is that I have invested in this show for three seasons. I have invested in the characters of Captain Jack, Gwen, Rhys etc. I care about these characters (well, in the way anyone can 'care' about a fictional TV character) and I want to see them in action on the TV. Unfortunately, in my opinion as a long time Torchwood fan, I feel let down by the current series. I want to watch it, because I enjoy the characters, but the plot has been weak and the writing lazy and I don't see why I can't voice these criticisms without the 'don't like don't watch' brigade jumping on my comments.

But anyway, one episode left. I'm hoping they have a gem saved up for the finale and will go into it with an open mind!

Here here.
    I so wanted to love this series before it started, the anticipation was high. While I've very much enjoyed a lot of the story and the themes it feels like its been one hell of a long slog. Frustrating would be an apt word.
  • nattoyakinattoyaki Posts: 7,080
    Forum Member
    Just finished watching and - to my utter shock and amazement after the rubbish I've sat through so far - I thoroughly enjoyed this episode!!

The Blessing was, indeed, unbelievably meh, and the stuff with Gwen's dad a bit sadistic (on us, the viewers - not a huge surprise as Torchwood's come up with this sort of thing before).

But otherwise an hour very happily spent (for once!) :)
  • eggshelleggshell Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quickfade wrote: »

Agreed

My opinion on this show is my opinion. The whole point as you say is to express your opinion without fear of being set upon for having a different view,

I do think that in many respects people take it as an insult if folk don't like a show they like, almost as if they feel they are being called stupid for liking it. Well speaking as a long time fan of all kinds of trashy shows thats just a rubbish way of thinking , if you like it you like it.

The other mob prevalent on here are the "you just don't get it" brigade who try to imply the other side of the coin, if you don't like something its because you are a bit thick to understand how clever it really is.

Its all nonsense, your opinion is your opinion and never be afraid to express it.

Now I'm off to re-watch my Six Million Dollar Man and Greatest American Hero box sets..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    Am I the only one who's seemed to notice that the voice of the welsh newsreader at the beginning of episode 9 appears to be a cameo from RTD himself?

I've heard enough interviews with him to recognise his voice!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With the exception of hard facts like published viewing figures, pretty much everything expressed on this forum is an opinion. Some opinions may well be more informed than others (for example, those expressed by people who have devoured every episode of Torchwood to date) and some may come across like they are the mad utterings of Dalek Caan.

But this is a discussion forum and it's there for all sorts.

Being human, well mostly, we all believe that our opinions are *right* and that anyone who doesn't reflect our opinion must therefore be *wrong*.

Where this forum stumbles, though, is when users take personal offence from a view they think is wrong and dash off personal, often highly unsubstantiated, attacks against the poster in order to justify their own position. It gets tiresome when a thread descends into a personal discussion rather than a discussion about the show. And there, I've been forced to descend to that level of irrelevance myself just to ask people to keep on topic and be constructive.

Back to this series of Torchwood: it would have to be truly awful for me to give up. Like Quickfade, I feel I've invested a lot in this TV universe and I'm really disappointed with what they've done to the show this series especially when compared to the universally-admired Children of Earth. Just my opinion, and clearly one shared by many about this series.

I also believe that there are some people on this planet who think this series is great. I just don't understand them. Maybe they are the lucky few who have looked into The Blessing and lived.
  • jjesso123jjesso123 Posts: 5,944
    Forum Member

No your not. People on here just can't do anything but complain.

Overall I feel series has been great.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was less intense than other episodes, getting the right people to the right places for the finale, still nice to watch.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    OK - just some odd niggles that have not be resolved yet - we know some aliens tried to alter our timeline in 1927 with the worm and FDR and all. Jack stopped that.
    So reasonable to assume the same aliens would try again.
    During the worm scene in ep 7 Jack mentioned it liked Angelo and that the worms bored into the brain.
    Now Angelo's blood mark in the eye - could be caused by boring into brain. I know Jane Espenson and Daniele Favilli claim that that was due to the actor having a burst blood vessel so was worked into the episode. But writers and actors (Daniele mentioned the blood vessel at least 3 times - doth protest too much methinks) misdirect (lie) or they may have been some other indicator of brain boring in the script before the actor had the blood vessel burst. Jack also did that odd thing (given the circumstances!) with the flex and plug from the monitors after Angelo died in ep 8 - another worm reminder.
    Also a parasite could explain the need for people not dying - perfect host for a parasite. We have had mentioned how diseases thrive because they never kill off those they infect. The burning may just be of those too damaged (brain damage is no good to a brain parasite) to host the worm. And Rex discovered that the modules were cold and had a ceramic wall in them - maybe the worms were behind that. Remember the worm Jack and Angelo discovered was kept refrigerated with ammonia based technology (best of the day). Of course why is not really been answered. Jack did mention that the worms were eaten on one planet and tasted liked oysters so maybe factory farming of worms for the delicatessen market :D . The man in Shanghai who jumped from over 45 floors after checking out the PhiCorp site could have done that after realising humanity's fate as a medium for growing parasitic worms... but in ep 9 the explanation is what he saw in the Blessing drove him to suicide. Mmmm. Maybe the Blessing is not what it appears to be.

Of course none of that explains who the alien intelligence behind all this is - the Families need some alien contact to start the whole thing with the worms. The Tricksters' Brigade has been mentioned in ep 7 and there have been hints of the Silence with all that manipulation over the ages and in the preview of ep 9 and that corner of the eye stuff but there is a lot of misdirection in this series.

But now after ep 9 it seems that there is little room left for the worms to return - maybe they are red herring worms. Of course we have a wormhole through the earth from Shanghai to Buenos Aires

Overall the acting is getting even worse. I know acting has never been TW's strong point but COE had Peter Capaldi to add some class as well as other good supporting actors. In ep 8 of MD all the Star Trek actors phoning in their performances made things look cheap too.OK Daniele Favilli was good as Angelo but that was one ep. It was like there was no time for rehearsal before ep 8 was shot! Ep 9 had the stock official (yes we get how bad things are done by the middle men there was a whole flaming episode devoted to that!) raiding Gwen's house for her dad and Gwen's husband doing the "you just don't see it" shtick. I reckon for all the talk of the US co-production meaning more filmic production values is all hype - after taking into account the vastly inflated costs of filming in California as opposed to Wales what we see on screen is certainly no better than Children of Earth in production values and in many cases worse. Of course given BBC budget cuts there probably would have been no TW without the US co-production but don't hype the bigger, bolder, more explosions stuff if you don't deliver- I mean it was practically just one location in ep8 and a wee explosion in a car. The Blessing 'special' effect could be run off on a home pc. Guess the helicopter and aerial shots in ep 1 (incidently including Worm's Head:eek:) drained the funds. Of course the remaining episode could be the budget hog...
    ...with fields of people with worms in their heads - screaming - please don't put Torchwood on my CV :D
  • towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    littlepete wrote: »
    Here here.
    I so wanted to love this series before it started, the anticipation was high. While I've very much enjoyed a lot of the story and the themes it feels like its been one hell of a long slog. Frustrating would be an apt word.

I've liked this series rather than loved it, simply because 10 episodes has been too long for me, it would have been a better series with 7 or 8 episodes.

And on top of that, Torchwood's 'sci-fi babble' could give Star Trek's 'techno-babble' a run for its money.
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually liked this episode and felt sorry for Gwen when they took her farther away
  • ntscuserntscuser Posts: 8,246
    Forum Member
    welwynrose wrote: »
    I actually liked this episode and felt sorry for Gwen when they took her farther away

I wished they'd taken her mother and Reese away too as I can't stand either of them! :D
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

No, I thought it was very entertaining indeed.

I am looking forward to next week.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 463
    Forum Member
    It has been a bit all over the place to be honest. Seems padded out to 10 episodes but in doing so feels like it's paced to go 20+ as we're at the end already and it feels like there should be so much more to it.

Personally I think the twist will be that Jack will probably have to throw himself into that hole, killing himself and ending the immortal life on earth. I don't know, at the end of the day RTD is the King of Deus Ex Machina.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    Hmmm who thinks that there will be some sort of big button that will be pressed in the finale that will restore everything to normal?
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^don't know about the big button but, once death has been restored, I'd like them to spend more than a few secs on (if this is how it will work) showing a whole bunch of Cat1 just dropping down dead, be they flying planes, performing surgery or simply at home them having finally embraced their deadness.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    I've enjoyed the entire series tbh and I still think Torchwood is 10000x better than Dr. Who (esp now, but that's a different story).

Here's how I interpreted things, slightly different to everyone else:

The blessing isn't the cave thing with things blowing into it, that's what Julie Kissingdure saw and it's different for everyone who looks at it... which is why she was asked what the blessing was telling her, obviously she interpreted it some way. It is also why some people decide to kill themselves, they're probably told life is worthless or some old chiche like that :P

As for the episode itself. Jack was in Scotland because Gwen had found them a safehouse up there, as said by Oswalt. The whole thing with Gwen's Dad was IMO supposed to give Gwen a reason to go out to Shanghi, to find the blessing and to explain her passion.

I don't know who Oswalt is, one of my theories is that he is an original member of the families that was cast out because of what he has done... Either that or he knew that the blessing was going to happen because of the families, but didnt know how or why, hence he went and did what he did at the time