Options

Top Of The Pops 1978 - BBC4

Comments

• Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TUC wrote: »
    Allthough even calling it an 'offending line' suggests a particular position on this. As was explained in last week's Feedback on Radio Four the line is there intentionally to make a point (about the British Army in Northern Ireland apparently although I hadn't known that was the meaning of the line until then).

It certainly doesn't offend me. Like you, I did not know in what context the lyric was written. But sometimes, without realising it you can get conditioned into accepting that something is no longer appropriate, such as this word, without really thinking about it. I recall hearing it played on Smooth's Double Top 20 last weekend and was listening away, not that intently, then the line came along and I just suddenly thought to myself, "oh, they're still okay to let that word go out then" which was just an immediate reaction, not having heard the song on radio in a long time. Then today up it comes on radio 2's Pick Of The Pops, just as I was reading these posts. So I gave it a good listen and responded. Must say, from what I read I was expecting the BBC to do it's own self censorship nanny knows best routine, and was pleased it did not. I usually catch Feedback on Radio 4 Sunday nights and missed that one you mention. Curious as to why it suddenly cropped up on a song over 30 years old now.

Funnily enough, seeing the Vibrators on TOTP for a second time, I had to laugh at the end as Peter Powell says The Vibrators with Automatic Lover in all innocence. Nowadays it would be full of all kinds of innuendo and double meaning to the extent that what went to primetime air in March 1978 would possibly not do so now in 2013 with that group and name together. :confused:
  • Options
    LabLab Posts: 2,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    It certainly doesn't offend me. Like you, I did not know in what context the lyric was written. But sometimes, without realising it you can get conditioned into accepting that something is no longer appropriate, such as this word, without really thinking about it. I recall hearing it played on Smooth's Double Top 20 last weekend and was listening away, not that intently, then the line came along and I just suddenly thought to myself, "oh, they're still okay to let that word go out then" which was just an immediate reaction, not having heard the song on radio in a long time. Then today up it comes on radio 2's Pick Of The Pops, just as I was reading these posts. So I gave it a good listen and responded. Must say, from what I read I was expecting the BBC to do it's own self censorship nanny knows best routine, and was pleased it did not. I usually catch Feedback on Radio 4 Sunday nights and missed that one you mention. Curious as to why it suddenly cropped up on a song over 30 years old now.

Funnily enough, seeing the Vibrators on TOTP for a second time, I had to laugh at the end as Peter Powell says The Vibrators with Automatic Lover in all innocence. Nowadays it would be full of all kinds of innuendo and double meaning to the extent that what went to primetime air in March 1978 would possibly not do so now in 2013 with that group and name together. :confused:

Thing is though Rich (I know you and I are of a similar vintage), even at 9/10 years old I knew THAT WORD was a bad thing to call people but in a couple of years time I understood the context... "One more widow, one less white n*****" (self-censored). It makes sense within the song and I hope it continues to be broadcast in it's full form.

As for Peter Powell, I just think he was having fun, I'm sure he knew EXACTLY what he was introducing by the smirk on his face.
  • Options
    SgtRockSgtRock Posts: 11,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lab wrote: »
    Thing is though Rich (I know you and I are of a similar vintage), even at 9/10 years old I knew THAT WORD was a bad thing to call people but in a couple of years time I understood the context... "One more widow, one less white n*****" (self-censored). It makes sense within the song and I hope it continues to be broadcast in it's full form.

As for Peter Powell, I just think he was having fun, I'm sure he knew EXACTLY what he was introducing by the smirk on his face.

Bizarrely, I remember a music lesson at school in 1979, where our whole class were given the lyrics to Oliver's Army, and we all had to sing along with the teacher's piano accompaniment - n-word and all, presumably!

(Incidentally, I've gone all these years thinking it was "one more wiggle" - as in a wiggle of the itchy trigger finger. Apparently I was wrong!)
  • Options
    The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robbie01 wrote: »
    'Last Dance' was a track on the 'Thank God It's Friday' soundtrack. Donna has two other tracks on that album, I don't know if they are also unique to the soundtrack album.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thank_God_It's_Friday

I can remember being surprised at the time that the single was struggling to become a major hit, I expected it to do much better than peak at number 51. Perhaps the slow intro, not a common feature in a disco song at the time, worked against it as I don't recall it having much airplay. Or perhaps radio just wanted a break from Donna for a few months as from summer 1977 to spring 1978 there seemed to be a new Donna Summer single almost every month. That said, they were all good songs.

Thanks - I'd forgotten about that! Donna was in the film too IIRC. I don't think the film was a great success, but even so, with the publicity, I would have thought that the single would have done better. Perhaps it was just overshadowed by Saturday Night Fever. A slow intro didn't do Gloria Gaynor any harm the next year........:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always liked Donna Summer, mostly remembered for her disco tracks, but I like "Winter Melody" I've got it on one of my vinyl jukeboxes.
    For those who liked Manhattan Transfer, then they may like the re-formed trio,
    Jalala,
    Janis Siegel, Laurel Masse´ and Lauren Kinhan of New York Voices fame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCFs4cc4J_I

Love that song! Worth buying the "Four Seasons of Love" album for that and the superb "Autumn Changes".
  • Options
    ukcarterukcarter Posts: 314
    Forum Member
    Lab wrote: »
    ... I understood the context... "One more widow, one less white n*****" (self-censored). It makes sense within the song and I hope it continues to be broadcast in it's full form.

Quite, quite shocking. How it was every broadcast I'll never know - it should be "one FEWER white n*****".
  • Options
    ramraider1ramraider1 Posts: 14,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love that song! Worth buying the "Four Seasons of Love" album for that and the superb "Autumn Changes".

I decided yesterday that Four Seasons of Love was to be the first of the early albums I was going to purchase - as I knew about Autumn changes. The latter was the b-side of Love's unkind and I was amazed to discover such a wonderful piece of music lurking on a b-side. Likewise the b-side of Last Dance - a track called 'With your love' has the same top quality of its better known A-side. These early Donna Summer singles certainly were value for money. I even loved the b-side of I feel love - a ballad entitled Can't we just sit down and talk it over. I don't go for ballads in a big way and it took a few listens but in the end it was another DS b-side which hit the mark. It makes a change to be talking Donna rather than Jimmy......:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ramraider1 wrote: »
    I decided yesterday that Four Seasons of Love was to be the first of the early albums I was going to purchase - as I knew about Autumn changes. The latter was the b-side of Love's unkind and I was amazed to discover such a wonderful piece of music lurking on a b-side. Likewise the b-side of Last Dance - a track called 'With your love' has the same top quality of its better known A-side. These early Donna Summer singles certainly were value for money. I even loved the b-side of I feel love - a ballad entitled Can't we just sit down and talk it over. I don't go for ballads in a big way and it took a few listens but in the end it was another DS b-side which hit the mark. It makes a change to be talking Donna rather than Jimmy......:)

Thanks for that info on the B sides. I only bought one Donna single and that was "Love to Love You Baby" :o After that I bought albums - "I Remember Yesterday" contemporary in 1977, then I caught up with the earlier albums in the early 80s. "Can't We Just Sit Down" is another brilliant song which showcases Donna's vocal range perfectly and would have made a great A side in its own right. Like its A side, it's from "I Remember Yesterday". I guess they were running out of tracks for B sides when they released "Love's Unkind" as they went back to an earlier album, although they still had one more single to release from "I Remember Yesterday", the superlative "Back in Love Again". (This was when two labels were releasing Donna singles around the same time - "Love's Unkind" and "Back in Love Again" from "I Remember Yesterday" and "I Love You" and "Rumour Has It" (as featured on last week's TOTP) from "Once Upon A Time".) I've got "With Your Love" on "The Dance Collection" album.
  • Options
    Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ramraider1 wrote: »
    In those countries which got the single early (including the US), 'Can't We Just Sit Down' was originally the A side of the single with 'I Feel Love' the B side. However due to the popularity of the B side the sides were flipped and 'I Feel Love' promoted to the A side. By the time the single was released in the UK, 'I Feel Love' had become the far more popular track which is why we got it as the A side

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Can%27t_We_Just_Sit_Down_%28And_Talk_It_Over%29

http://www.discogs.com/Donna-Summer-Cant-We-Just-Sit-Down-And-Talk-It-Over-I-Feel-Love/release/53270
  • Options
    darnall42darnall42 Posts: 4,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    ramraider1ramraider1 Posts: 14,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In those countries which got the single early (including the US), 'Can't We Just Sit Down' was originally the A side of the single with 'I Feel Love' the B side. However due to the popularity of the B side the sides were flipped and 'I Feel Love' promoted to the A side. By the time the single was released in the UK, 'I Feel Love' had become the far more popular track which is why we got it as the A side

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Can%27t_We_Just_Sit_Down_%28And_Talk_It_Over%29

http://www.discogs.com/Donna-Summer-Cant-We-Just-Sit-Down-And-Talk-It-Over-I-Feel-Love/release/53270

Thank you for that Robbie. I did not know the history of the I feel Love single- however it explains why the B-side is so good. I'm off to investigate the purchase of Four Seasons of Love + I'm also thinking of adding some early Steely Dan albums to my collection. I only have their greatest hits. You don't half learn a lot of interesting trivia on this thread. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    darnall42 wrote: »
    oh yes! Thanks darnall42!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    Hello everyone. Been observing these threads since 1976 and I wasn't going to chime in until 1979, but I recently made a discovery which is quite relevant. I have really enjoyed watching all these TOTPses and all the wonderful childhood memories they have evoked. Although I was only 8 in '78 I had three teenaged siblings so music was in the air almost constantly, be it tv,radio, or records/tapes. Best years of my life.

Whilst researching what other music based tv progs were around at the time I happened upon the '77 series 'Marc' fronted by Mr.Bolan. An older friend of mine remembered it from original broadcast and didn't speak too highly of it, but it is was it is and it's not too bad and ultimately poignant given Bolan's death a couple of weeks after the final episode's airing.
    This led me to another programme called 'Revolver' broadcast in 1978 which was Mickie Most's creation and featured famous and not so famous bands all playing live! Peter Cook presented it in the guise of a seedy ballroom manager. It was originally scheduled in a tea-time slot but was moved to a late night showing soon after. I don't remember it at all, in fact I'm not sure how many regions broadcast it. Apparently all 8 episodes were repeated on the VH1 channel in the early '90's and I managed to track them down on vhs. Let me tell you I was pleasantly surprised and I would urge anyone to get hold of it as it sits perfectly with these '78 totp repeats. For instance Suzi Quatro makes an appearance wearing the same outfit she had on the other night! Sadly it was never recomissioned for a second series. There are a few bits and pieces on youtube to give you a taste.

Phew, after all that just a couple of words on recent episodes. I didn't think the 'Vibrators' were all that bad although obviously 'also-rans', they featured John Ellis on guitar who went on to join the Stranglers. The 'Inmates' covering 'The Walk' fed off the rock 'n roll revival and I've got a track on a compilation album called 'Dirty Water' which is worth a listen.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bodegg wrote: »
    Hello everyone. Been observing these threads since 1976 and I wasn't going to chime in until 1979, but I recently made a discovery which is quite relevant. I have really enjoyed watching all these TOTPses and all the wonderful childhood memories they have evoked. Although I was only 8 in '78 I had three teenaged siblings so music was in the air almost constantly, be it tv,radio, or records/tapes. Best years of my life.

Whilst researching what other music based tv progs were around at the time I happened upon the '77 series 'Marc' fronted by Mr.Bolan. An older friend of mine remembered it from original broadcast and didn't speak too highly of it, but it is was it is and it's not too bad and ultimately poignant given Bolan's death a couple of weeks after the final episode's airing.
    This led me to another programme called 'Revolver' broadcast in 1978 which was Mickie Most's creation and featured famous and not so famous bands all playing live! Peter Cook presented it in the guise of a seedy ballroom manager. It was originally scheduled in a tea-time slot but was moved to a late night showing soon after. I don't remember it at all, in fact I'm not sure how many regions broadcast it. Apparently all 8 episodes were repeated on the VH1 channel in the early '90's and I managed to track them down on vhs. Let me tell you I was pleasantly surprised and I would urge anyone to get hold of it as it sits perfectly with these '78 totp repeats. For instance Suzi Quatro makes an appearance wearing the same outfit she had on the other night! Sadly it was never recomissioned for a second series. There are a few bits and pieces on youtube to give you a taste.

Phew, after all that just a couple of words on recent episodes. I didn't think the 'Vibrators' were all that bad although obviously 'also-rans', they featured John Ellis on guitar who went on to join the Stranglers. The 'Inmates' covering 'The Walk' fed off the rock 'n roll revival and I've got a track on a compilation album called 'Dirty Water' which is worth a listen.

For those interested, there's lots of videos of the "Revolver" TV show on YouTube. Take your pick.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=revolver+tv+show&oq=revolver+tv+show&gs_l=youtube.12..0.867.4842.0.6422.16.3.0.0.0.0.3155.4276.4-1j1j9-1.3.0...0.0...1ac.1.WhxiQdyz-NQ
  • Options
    Misty08Misty08 Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SgtRock wrote: »
    Bizarrely, I remember a music lesson at school in 1979, where our whole class were given the lyrics to Oliver's Army, and we all had to sing along with the teacher's piano accompaniment - n-word and all, presumably!

(Incidentally, I've gone all these years thinking it was "one more wiggle" - as in a wiggle of the itchy trigger finger. Apparently I was wrong!)

Blimey-me too! How weird.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Ladybirds invariably provided backing vocals to solo singers or vocal groups that didn't have their own band and therefore had to use the dreadful TOTP orchestra such as a lot of Motown/Philly vocal groups and singers.

Their vocals were completely soulless and you genuinely felt for many performers that were forced to use them. Their usual habitat was the Benny Hill Show and 1978 was (thankfully) their last year on TOTP.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ladybirds

i dont see the need for them when singers seemed to just mime to the single.or sing live to the single.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Chime in as much as you want Bodegg, the more the merrier, why wait till '79? :)Yet another poster in that same age bracket again I see. I learnt something from your post, as I've never heard of the show Revolver that you mentioned. I will have to give it a look up. Not that I would have noticed such a show myself in 1978 even if it was on in my region, especially late obviously. Presume it was some ITV regional effort?

You mentioned "Marc", and we have written about his show before, and made many comments around the anniversary of his passing, which I'm sure you read. However I believe that his crash took place during the actual run of this series, and some went out posthumously. Such a dreadful shame. I for one would have loved to see how he would have dealt with the next 5 years musically.

Having read all the Donna Summer comment I have got a few new tracks to check out. Talking B-sides, I'm presuming they are simply un-available via iTunes? It's something that has never crossed my mind in the 4 years I have been using it. I will have to take a further delve and see.

Finally, last night I managed to catch up with Slade at the BBC on BBC4 quite late. If anyone else here watched it to the end, did they not feel really weird as Merry Christmas Everyone was played out, as I did with half a foot of snow and heavy falling snow at the time outside the window? I turned it up loud just for the surreal effect. It all felt so wrong, but funny. March 24th? More like exactly 3 months ago. :eek:

Now to put on the gorgeous Winter Melody by Donna Summer, which I actually have on a Christmas album, as well as other formats, but it's not even remotely a Christmas record.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

///////////////////Now to put on the gorgeous Winter Melody by Donna Summer, which I actually have on a Christmas album, as well as other formats, but it's not even remotely a Christmas record.

Any time you want to hear "Winter Melody," it's one of the 7" singles on one of my jukeboxes I put on YouTube a couple of years ago.
    I was quite shocked at the news of her death.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3TH_NeASnc
  • Options
    UrsulaUUrsulaU Posts: 7,239
    Forum Member
    Although I was only 8 in '78 I had three teenaged siblings so music was in the air almost constantly, be it tv,radio, or records/tapes. Best years of my life.

Me too!! - And they were listening to almost everything from prog rock to John denver to Abba!! :D
  • Options
    ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chime in as much as you want Bodegg, the more the merrier, why wait till '79? :)Yet another poster in that same age bracket again I see. I learnt something from your post, as I've never heard of the show Revolver that you mentioned. I will have to give it a look up. Not that I would have noticed such a show myself in 1978 even if it was on in my region, especially late obviously. Presume it was some ITV regional effort?

Revolver was made by ATV - famous in the 70s as the home of Crossroads - and had a great cross-section of music on it ... more so than the Wikipedia page would suggest. Heatwave, Hi Tension and Kandidate all featured, besides more rock-orientated acts. But I'm pretty sure it was networked - but, as previously reported, late at night. What a waste!

Just turned on Smooth Radio to hear Kid Jensen counting down the singles chart from 1978 - the one from the TOTP we'll miss thanks to the DLT factor?
  • Options
    RichuptonRichupton Posts: 940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My apologies if this has already been asked but does a version - full or otherwise - of the 23 march 1978 episode exist on YouTube ?
  • Options
    faversham saintfaversham saint Posts: 2,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Servalan wrote: »
    Revolver was made by ATV - famous in the 70s as the home of Crossroads - and had a great cross-section of music on it ... more so than the Wikipedia page would suggest. Heatwave, Hi Tension and Kandidate all featured, besides more rock-orientated acts. But I'm pretty sure it was networked - but, as previously reported, late at night. What a waste!

BIB - it also used to include vintage clips from the 1960s. I caught several of the eight episodes which (I think) aired between mid-July to mid-September 1978 and clearly recall one edition which featured live performances from the Buzzcocks ('Noise Annoys' and 'Love You More') and Siouxsie and the Banshees ('Hong Kong Garden') juxtaposed with black and white footage of the Kinks performing 'You Really Got Me' from the BBC's 1964 Beat Club programme and the 1968 performance of 'This Wheel's On Fire' by Julie Driscoll, Brian Auger and The Trinity from the TOTP archive which in those days were very rarely seen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Richupton wrote: »
    My apologies if this has already been asked but does a version - full or otherwise - of the 23 march 1978 episode exist on YouTube ?
    see post number 2686 above ;)

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=64962066&postcount=2686
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Servalan wrote: »

Just turned on Smooth Radio to hear Kid Jensen counting down the singles chart from 1978 - the one from the TOTP we'll miss thanks to the DLT factor?

Thanks for the info on the TV show. Nice to learn new stuff, when you think there is nothing new to find out, regards music TV, and the like.

I also just caught the final half hour of 1978 on Smooth tonight with Kid Jensen. Came in on it at Nick Lowe. I tell you this, having seen TOTP on Thursday night at 7.30pm, then turning on the radio on a Sunday night to hear the charts being counted down from that same year (a week out was it?) in 1978, really does make it seem like it is '78, as what was shown on Top Of The Pops on the Thursday would be the chart that was counted down 3 nights later back in 1978, and infact all the way until October 1987 it was the same.

Here's a good little tale from yesterday, involving Noel. I was watching Deal Or No Deal, and this guy in his 40's was playing, and had an exercise book, and into the game Noel picked it up and flicked through it. The chap used to listen to the Sunday chart from 5pm to 7pm and write every chart down as the songs came along. The page opened at a chart in November 1981, a particular fave time of mine. Noel turned the page a bit further on, and said, as many here will know that he had been on TOTP as an "artist", Brown Sauce, I Wanna Be A Winner, the old Swap Shop clan. He pointed it out in this guys chart book, who said the date it entered at Christmas 1981, and the guy says to Noel that you went up next week, up the next, then down. Noel says "we got to No15 you know", and the guy with his old exercise book of charts said to him "not according to my book, you peaked at No20". Noel looks at his tatty book baffled and says "are you sure?" and the guy says "I don't think I'm wrong!". Noel then says "Oh, I've been going around all these years telling people we got to No15 in the charts with Brown Sauce". He looked crestfallen. I knew Noel was correct and this guy was wrong, but double checked all the same, and indeed Noel was totally correct and this early 80's chart nerd was wrong big time. I was rooting for the banker to find out the truth before the show ended, but no. I sat there quite indignant that Noel had been wronged! :D
  • Options
    RichuptonRichupton Posts: 940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

:) any chance of this appearing on YT as well?
This discussion has been closed.