Options

Casualty - memorable episodes and storylines?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 637
Forum Member
✭✭
I've been rewatching old episodes of Casualty from the mid 1990s and I don't know if it's just me but I think the writing and characters were much more interesting then than they are now. There were some really memorable moments, like Jude being stabbed and having to wait until the next series to know if she survived, and the shopping centre explosion which haunted me for ages after at the time.

Does anyone else have a favourite "era" of Casualty, with certain moments standing out in particular?

Comments

• Options
    SOAPYFANSOAPYFAN Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Casualty's golden era for me was Series 11 til the end of Series 15

Moments include:
    - Jude's stabbing at the end of Series 11 (a real series cliffhanger) (it was also very brutal with the final shot of her lying in Charlie's arm in a pond of blood)

- The Shopping Centre Explosion at the beginning of Series 12

- The rape of Tina Seabrook

- Everlasting Love (The Wedding of Baz and Charlie, the second chapter in their story ending)

- Sam's balcony fall (The finale of Series 13, with Amy screaming for him to stay awake)

- The Love Triangle of Tina, Max and Sean

- The end of Series 14, Tina and Sean's sunset ending (with the montage) and Charlie's Heart Attack

- and finally, Holly's stalker!!
  • Options
    Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,185
    Forum Member
    I don't remember much Casualty from the nineties, but I do remember when Charlie got shot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No one else? I thought there were quite a few Casualty fans on this forum.
  • Options
    A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The big train crash.
  • Options
    Dan100Dan100 Posts: 2,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A.D.P wrote: »
    The big train crash.

Which one?

Nothing can really beat Boiling Point though.
  • Options
    nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    Also, the plane crash at the end of series 6 - postponed from December 1991 due to a clash with the Lockerbie anniversary, and instead shown in February '92.

One episode which sticks in the mind was a woman getting the side of her face burned off in an explosion on a boat, which I found horrific at the time and it gave me nightmares for days afterwards. It was series 5, episode 9.
  • Options
    mrsmoosemrsmoose Posts: 2,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One that sticks out is Josh the ambulance man, they got a call in the ambulance to go to a house fire, he made them repeat the address because it was his house that was on fire, I think he lost his wife and children.
  • Options
    allthingsukallthingsuk Posts: 6,035
    Forum Member
    My favourites are:

Boiling Point (Series 7)
    Man blows up department (Series 9)
    Trevor dies (quite haunting seeing him in a PVS, Series 11)
    Josh's family dies and Jude's stabbed (Series 11)
    The motorway pile up (Series 12)
    Tina's rape (Series 12)
    Holly's stalker confrontation/Andrew dies (Series 15)
    Patrick dies (Series 16)
    Toby's first day (Series 22)
    Ruth's suicide attempt (Series 22)

Golden era for me was S9-12 (excluding Series 10 which wasn't great) with S13-15 close behind in my view.
  • Options
    highlander1969highlander1969 Posts: 6,832
    Forum Member
    Funniest moment (I know it's a bit sick) was Charlie getting shot in series 5.
    He fell to the floor with a grin on his face!
    He'd maybe just been told that the department would be getting infinite funding!! :o
    Megan screaming "Charlee, Charlee, you shot Charlee.." Priceless. Where was 'Offenbach' when you needed him?? :D
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdsUUhtVs8g
  • Options
    Minor MaggieMinor Maggie Posts: 243
    Forum Member
    I remember being haunted as a child by the episode where there was an acid spill and one of the police officers died. I also remember The stabbing of the ambulance lady and Julian doing an amputation in the field following a rockfall.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The funniest one I saw cant remember what episode as they showed it on tv burp was where this guy fancied this office woman and what he planned backfired and he flew through the window and colappsed on her desk.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My favourite episode was from 1989 called Chain Reaction with Sean Pertwee in one of his first roles.

I also remember the second or third series finale episode called Burn Out which had the on screen sudden death of Ewart Plimmer.

So, the 80s I guess!
  • Options
    mychmosemychmose Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is there one where the guy who plays Charlie does any acting? ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mrsmoose wrote: »
    One that sticks out is Josh the ambulance man, they got a call in the ambulance to go to a house fire, he made them repeat the address because it was his house that was on fire, I think he lost his wife and children.

That storyline really scared me at the time, as I was very young when it aired. It was pretty horrific as far as Casualty goes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Funniest moment (I know it's a bit sick) was Charlie getting shot in series 5.
    He fell to the floor with a grin on his face!
    He'd maybe just been told that the department would be getting infinite funding!! :o
    Megan screaming "Charlee, Charlee, you shot Charlee.." Priceless. Where was 'Offenbach' when you needed him?? :D
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdsUUhtVs8g

Derek Thompson has always let Casualty down, in my opinion. Easily one of the worst actors on British television.
  • Options
    The22ndRachelThe22ndRachel Posts: 652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I seem to remember an episode where they showed a continuous scene, then showed the same time again, but from a different characters point of view, and they overlapped at certain points. This repeated a few times in the episode.
    I may be remembering it wrong but something like that sticks in my head.

I think it was the episode, or around the time, where Ellen? The young blonde nurse was hit by a motorbike and killed?

Wonder if anyone else remembers this?!
  • Options
    kryskryskryskrys Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The ones that have stuck with me are: Josh losing his family in the fire, Sam falling from the balcony, Tina's rape and Jude's stabbing.

And a few more recent ones: Ruth's suicide attempt and breakdown, Tess impaled on a massive spike, Polly's stabbing, Josh's stabbing, Adam and Jessica's son drowning and May breaking her patient's neck.
  • Options
    Jack_ClintonJack_Clinton Posts: 2,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The train crash (2003), the hospital fire and riots (2011/12 series). And for me the recent tension between Connie and Zoe with Guy occasionally popping in from Holby.
  • Options
    jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ewart Plimmer having a heart attack, and hid demise, He was the first major Consultant I think, back then without spoilers, it came as a shock.

Boiling Point, if I remember the first anybody heard abou tbat was days before.
  • Options
    Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ewart Plimmer having a heart attack, and hid demise, He was the first major Consultant I think, back then without spoilers, it came as a shock.

LOL, I remember that and also the Polish porter, Kuba, who always managed to raise a smile.
  • Options
    highlander1969highlander1969 Posts: 6,832
    Forum Member

Yep, I remember Ewart. He was a great character. If memory serves me well he had a heart attack at the end of series 2. I remember him in a hospital bed in the Christmas episode recovering as the camera panned to carol singers outside Holby.
    His death from a second heart attack in series 3 was so sudden and unexpected. :(
    The actor Bernard Gallagher is happily still with us though at the sprightly age of 85. :)

LOL, I remember that and also the Polish porter, Kuba, who always managed to raise a smile.

He certainly was a character. Not sure if I was overly fond of him. I found him a litle OTT. He was in an old episode of the Bill and was exactly the same. :D
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember being haunted as a child by the episode where there was an acid spill and one of the police officers died.

Chain Reaction it is my favourite episode.

Sean Pertwee as one of the policemen and the late great Pat Roach as the acid lorry driver
  • Options
    victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caught some of the early episodes that is showing on the Drama channel and what strikes you is how slow the pace is compared to the later ones and the grimness of the A&E dept.
  • Options
    sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Casualty was something I used to watch a lot of when I was younger, I've dipped in and out of it in recent years. For me what stands out -

Jude being stabbed. As a child she was my favourite character so I was gutted when she was stabbed

Josh losing all his family in a fire

Adam and Jessica's baby dying and the dream like episode when we saw their back story
  • Options
    jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sarahj1986 wrote: »
    Casualty was something I used to watch a lot of when I was younger, I've dipped in and out of it in recent years. For me what stands out -

Jude being stabbed. As a child she was my favourite character so I was gutted when she was stabbed

Josh losing all his family in a fire

Adam and Jessica's baby dying and the dream like episode when we saw their back story

Everybody loved Jude, the cast did and most of the fans did, Charlie was heartbroken when he found her if I remember, Good thing was her not dying, and moved away with Declan from Emmerdale