Gary Glitter - Guilty

Comments

• walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,564
    Forum Member
    Will probably be 80 by the time he gets out. 10 years at his age is going to be tough.
  • soundchecksoundcheck Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    soundcheck got it spot on

He may see freedom again, but that's a long stretch considering he's got health problems

I'm trying to find the breakdown of the sentence to see how close my guess was on the component parts. I expect the "intercourse with child under the age of 13" component to be concurrent with the others. He won't be out until he's 78-79 at the earliest, and it is not unusual for sex offenders in denial to serve much more than 50% of their sentence behind bars. People tend to die early in prisons, and he has a heart condition as well. He probably won't leave on foot.

Edit to observe: One has to feel sorry for his barrister, who really had NOTHING to work on. The best thing she could say, apparently, in her mitigation address was: "We would draw attention to the fact there are those who think highly of this man."

Edit again. Components of the sentence (I got this wrong):
    1) Attempted rape: 7 years
    2+3) Indecent assault x2: 4 years each
    4) Sexual activity with a child under the age of 13: 8 years
    5+6) Indexent assault x2: 1 year each

Sentence 1 runs concurrently
    Sentences 2, 3 and 4 run consecurively
    Sentences 5 & 6 run concurrently
    So the effective sentence length is the sum of the sentences for 2, 3 and 4: 4 + 4 + 8 = 16 years

Interestingly, the judge imposed the maximum available sentence for all but the last 2 charges, which got 12 months (of a possible 24).

-
  • gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    Goaty wrote: »
    Scum.

And why he got fans at the court??

big deal some nut jobs marrying Charlie manson :o

what the deal with these women?
  • Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will probably be 80 by the time he gets out. 10 years at his age is going to be tough.

He'll do half the time, eight years. Out by 2023. He'll be 79. I wish the media would stop saying sixteen years. We all know that means half.>:(
  • tinmantinman Posts: 3,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He'll do half the time, eight years. Out by 2023. He'll be 79. I wish the media would stop saying sixteen years. We all know that means half.>:(

BBC says that he has to serve full 16 year term.
  • TellystarTellystar Posts: 12,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Did the judge not say 16 years minimum?
    If not he should have
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was watching Sky News and they said he might be out in eight years.
  • DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was watching Sky News and they said he might be out in eight years.

.........and that's the operative word.

I'm sure (if he's not bumped off prematurely) that he will die in prison.
    Good riddance to bad rubbish although it angers me that my taxes will go towards keeping that monstrosity safe. >:(
    Forum Member
    tinman wrote: »
    BBC says that he has to serve full 16 year term.

He has been convicted under the old laws, which do not require that license be considered at the half-way stage. He *might* get out in 8 years, but there's no guarantee, and since he's in denial it is highly unlikely. He will have to participate in certain courses and treatment programmes, and if he doesn't participate, or doesn't participate fully, then the parole board is highly unlikely to consider him suitable for release.

And in any case, I doubt he will live to be 79. People die younger in prisons.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    .........and that's the operative word.

I'm sure (if he's not bumped off prematurely) that he will die in prison.
    Good riddance to bad rubbish although it angers me that my taxes will go towards keeping that monstrosity safe. >:(

He crept in a bed and tried to rape a 9 year old girl. That alone should get 16 years.
  • DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He crept in a bed and tried to rape a 9 year old girl. That alone should get 16 years.

I feel sick.
    That poor child. :cry:
    Forum Member

In the Act which created the offence that Glitter was convicted of, the maximum sentence was 7 years, which is what he got. The judge said that had the offence been committed a few years later, he would have got life.
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lets hope we never hear of him again
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing you can be damned sure of, he's not going to be The Leader of any gangs in prison.

He might begin to wish the docudrama that was made about him was the reality, with a swifter exit rather than year after year to contemplate in a cell all you had at your feet and threw away for selfish gratification.

It's hard to believe he was still so popular until the late 1990's doing sell out shows. He even presented Top Of The Pops as recently as 6th December 1996, within a year of his first arrest.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't like to be him in jail now. :D He's already been punched in the face once. :D

It wouldn't surprise me if he committed suicide. The prospect of spending at least the next eight years in Wadsworth jail is horrific.

Serves him right. :D
  • StrmChaserSteveStrmChaserSteve Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also consider the possibility of further charges (it happened to Stuart Hall)

Police are investigating further claims against Paul Gadd.

If he's found guilty of additional charges, then his sentence could be extended further
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is Rolf Harris on Facebook too?
  • Lesley_Ann_McArLesley_Ann_McAr Posts: 562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's pages like 'Free Rolf Harris' and 'Rolf Harris Is Innocent' pages on Facebook.
  • Lesley_Ann_McArLesley_Ann_McAr Posts: 562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's pages like 'Free Rolf Harris' and 'Rolf Harris Is Innocent' pages on Facebook :o:o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just had a horrible thought. Gary's in Wandsworth, same prison as Stuart Hall and Rolf Harris.

All pals together. :eek:
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just had a horrible thought. Gary's in Wandsworth, same prison as Stuart Hall and Rolf Harris.

All pals together. :eek:

I think Rolf went somewhere softer.
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Rolf went somewhere softer.

Think I read Stafford somewhere.

(Same place ex BBC reporter Ashley Blake ended up after his assault conviction!)

Have I got the right impression here?

Nonces/pedos will have a go at other nonces/pedos?

I could understand other crims who have done non related crimes having a go, but other pedos?
  • Sweaty Job RotSweaty Job Rot Posts: 2,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soundcheck wrote: »
    I'm trying to find the breakdown of the sentence to see how close my guess was on the component parts. I expect the "intercourse with child under the age of 13" component to be concurrent with the others. He won't be out until he's 78-79 at the earliest, and it is not unusual for sex offenders in denial to serve much more than 50% of their sentence behind bars. People tend to die early in prisons, and he has a heart condition as well. He probably won't leave on foot.

Edit to observe: One has to feel sorry for his barrister, who really had NOTHING to work on. The best thing she could say, apparently, in her mitigation address was: "We would draw attention to the fact there are those who think highly of this man."

Edit again. Components of the sentence (I got this wrong):
    1) Attempted rape: 7 years
    2+3) Indecent assault x2: 4 years each
    4) Sexual activity with a child under the age of 13: 8 years
    5+6) Indexent assault x2: 1 year each

Sentence 1 runs concurrently
    Sentences 2, 3 and 4 run consecurively
    Sentences 5 & 6 run concurrently
    So the effective sentence length is the sum of the sentences for 2, 3 and 4: 4 + 4 + 8 = 16 years

Interestingly, the judge imposed the maximum available sentence for all but the last 2 charges, which got 12 months (of a possible 24).

-

It's time conccurently sentencing was abolished, it is a mockery of justice.
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭