Options

The Big Holby City Thread (Part 4)

Comments

• Options
    Little StarLittle Star Posts: 1,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved the review Clover. I laughed at the part about the three most unlucky men in Holby!
    I also thought it was a good episode last night. Almost a shame that the big Jonny/Harry storylines had to play out at exactly the same time as they are both fairly gripping. I'm presuming these episodes were filmed coming up to the Christmas break so any actors that were leaving might be finishing up around then which would account for all the staff related drama happening at once!
  • Options
    crunchie crispcrunchie crisp Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    It really annoyed me when Ric thanked Adele for her time, you never saw him saying that to anyone else and the implication was that her time was so much more important than others. She is an HCA, she does as she is told or has her position as head of every bleeding thing been approved now :D
  • Options
    TramboneTrambone Posts: 1,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very disappointing for me that it wasn't the revolting gurning Johnny who fell to his near death rather than Harry. In fact very disappointing that Self and 'Smithy' couldn't have fallen as well and landed on Adele.
  • Options
    Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Trambone wrote: »
    Very disappointing for me that it wasn't the revolting gurning Johnny who fell to his near death rather than Harry. In fact very disappointing that Self and 'Smithy' couldn't have fallen as well and landed on Adele.

:D::D:D I couldn't agree more!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Regarding Jac telling Self that Jonny was a brilliant nurse and a good man. It put me in mind of when she was talking elephant grafts with Joseph and told him that Lord Byrne was only half the surgeon that he (Joseph) was - or half the man. Agh!!

Jac never had even one third of the chemistry with Jonny that she did with the divine Joseph.
  • Options
    srhgtssrhgts Posts: 8,939
    Forum Member
    Jac never had even one third of the chemistry with Jonny that she did with the divine Joseph.

Because Johnny isn't one third the character Joseph was, or one third the man.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    srhgts wrote: »
    Because Johnny isn't one third the character Joseph was, or one third the man.

Absolutely! :cool:
  • Options
    Sweaty Job RotSweaty Job Rot Posts: 2,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It really annoyed me when Ric thanked Adele for her time, you never saw him saying that to anyone else and the implication was that her time was so much more important than others. She is an HCA, she does as she is told or has her position as head of every bleeding thing been approved now :D

It's like she is being forced onto the viewer in everyway possible, poor actress, poor character. considering my opinion regarding HCA's then she is better for not being seen or heard.

I also believe it's time the Efingers were dropped from the show, the characters are way past their act by date, contributing nothing anymore.
  • Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member

Adele's time is so much more important than anyone else's - the ward was crumbling without her presence, elliot can't do his powerpoint presentations, Jac needs her to talk her through surgery, Jesse can't tie his own shoe laces.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    clover wrote: »
    Why didn't Jonny mention in the enquiry that he'd been showing Steve how to change the battery? Unless he's protecting him.

A good episode, I thought. The scenes of the accident were dramatically done, I enjoyed Jac sticking up for Jonny, and I loved the Dominic/Digby/Zosia scenes.

Review here

I'd have to assume Jonny has just forgotten that detail for the moment. Even if he doesn't connect the dots re Steve maybe having done something to it after he left the room, it would be a witness that he did indeed change the battery.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing I noticed in that episode is that they were all referring to the occurrences of the episode before as what happened 'last night.' The episode before was a night shift. This was clearly a daytime shift the day after so are we to believe that all of the same Doctors and Nurses were working all day after a night shift? I know it wasn't a normal night shift on Darwin so if you were to stretch the imagination really far they could have been asked to come in for the investigation but that doesn't explain Ric, Fletch, Harry, Mary Claire, Sasha, Digby and Dominic!!
    The fact that CEO Self was even working a night shift is questionable but that is another matter...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    One thing I noticed in that episode is that they were all referring to the occurrences of the episode before as what happened 'last night.' The episode before was a night shift. This was clearly a daytime shift the day after so are we to believe that all of the same Doctors and Nurses were working all day after a night shift? I know it wasn't a normal night shift on Darwin so if you were to stretch the imagination really far they could have been asked to come in for the investigation but that doesn't explain Ric, Fletch, Harry, Mary Claire, Sasha, Digby and Dominic!!
    The fact that CEO Self was even working a night shift is questionable but that is another matter...

There have been several references to staff having to constantly do double shifts due to the extra work Guy's new regime has brought. There were also specific mentions of elliot not having gone home and Jonny sleeping in the on call room.
  • Options
    wiggles247wiggles247 Posts: 48,088
    Forum Member
    Mo really annoyed me in this episode. First she brought up the Bonnie anniversary thing (anyone else think that it hadn't crossed Jonny's mind at that point? :D) and then she had to call Jac the ginger minger for no good reason at all. Jac has done nothing but support her and her bloody career lately and that's the thanks she gets >:(

I thought she said 'ginger ninja'
  • Options
    Forum Member
    wiggles247 wrote: »

I did as well which has been a fairly commonly used nick name for her over the years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    There have been several references to staff having to constantly do double shifts due to the extra work Guy's new regime has brought. There were also specific mentions of elliot not having gone home and Jonny sleeping in the on call room.

Yes noticed those references on Darwin and could just about suspend disbelief there given the investigation but on Keller Digby was clearly finishing work prior to going to breakfast with Maria. On AAU Mary Claire was finishing too prior to breakfast with Tom and Fletch had made reference to going home to sleep in the morning after finishing night shift so I think there was a continuity error somewhere along the way.
    Even with stretching schedules having such a large amount of hospital staff working right through from 7pm one evening to (at least) 7pm the next without sleep does seem a bit crazy. Still I guess this is Holby and stranger things have happened!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    I did as well which has been a fairly commonly used nick name for her over the years.

Just checked and according to the i-player subtitles it was ginger ninja
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes noticed those references on Darwin and could just about suspend disbelief there given the investigation but on Keller Digby was clearly finishing work prior to going to breakfast with Maria. On AAU Mary Claire was finishing too prior to breakfast with Tom and Fletch had made reference to going home to sleep in the morning after finishing night shift so I think there was a continuity error somewhere along the way.
    Even with stretching schedules having such a large amount of hospital staff working right through from 7pm one evening to (at least) 7pm the next without sleep does seem a bit crazy. Still I guess this is Holby and stranger things have happened!

Oh, its just one of those occasions when time runs differently on the different wards - no biggy!;-)!:D!

But seriously have to agree about the continuity error because, unless I blinked and missed it, only the Darwin crew seemed to mention anything about being tired - everyone else seemed fairly chipper (to start with anyway, well apart from Digby but heart broken isn't the same as exhausted!!)

Collins1965
    And poor Diggers - what do they have instore for him now that the lovely (and in no way was she a shark) Maria is gone?

Ah he'll be fine - he's got the other two stooges to pep him up (although actually I liked how supportive Zosia and Dom were - loved the whole exhibition thing to cheer him up)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, its just one of those occasions when time runs differently on the different wards - no biggy!;-)!:D!

But seriously have to agree about the continuity error because, unless I blinked and missed it, only the Darwin crew seemed to mention anything about being tired - everyone else seemed fairly chipper (to start with anyway, well apart from Digby but heart broken isn't the same as exhausted!!)

Ah he'll be fine - he's got the other two stooges to pep him up (although actually I liked how supportive Zosia and Dom were - loved the whole exhibition thing to cheer him up)

Haha! Yes I was presuming we were working on holby time again. Everyone in AAU was as fresh as a daisy and not one bit tired and helicopter Tom and MC had changed their clothes twice in one morning ;)

Loved the Digby, Zosia and Dom scenes as well. Shame they are shipping Diggers off to AAU just and away from the other two stooges. Maybe they'll find him a new love interest down there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Whatever she called her, her tone was disrespectful and dismissive, as she almost always is when it comes to Jac. It was uncalled for imo.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did Ollie and Mary-Claire ever have a fling? I think they could make quite a nice couple in due course.

I hope she is not leaving, I really like her.

With Diggers going to AAU will Dom and Zosia stay on Keller I wonder? Pity to break up the threesome as they did play off each other very well but it makes sense for Digby to move on to something else at this stage. I love him and Hanssen together so I hope we see some Digby/Hanssen interplay on Hanssen's return.
  • Options
    FlowesFlowes Posts: 6,987
    Forum Member

Didn't the events occur the previous evening. I thought Jonny referred to Elliot working through the night and he had a few hours kip in the on call room?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flowes wrote: »
    Didn't the events occur the previous evening. I thought Jonny referred to Elliot working through the night and he had a few hours kip in the on call room?

The previous episode definitely started at the beginning of a night shift (at least in Keller and AAU) and went on throughout the night. Fletch and MC talked about it being a night shift and heading home afterwards and Digby and Mary Claire were both going for breakfast dates when they finished work which was around the same time that Mrs Kale died. Harry also went for a brief rest break during the night shift. Tuesday's episode went on from morning time until late evening as you could see that from the resus times. All of the same staff were there this week, including Digby and MC who had both supposedly finished work before their breakfast dates and the only references to lack of sleep/staying up all night the night before were on Darwin. There was no mention of anyone on AAU or Keller being tired working 24 hours in a row.

It could well just have been a continuity error re timings on the different wards.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did Ollie and Mary-Claire ever have a fling? I think they could make quite a nice couple in due course.

I hope she is not leaving, I really like her.

With Diggers going to AAU will Dom and Zosia stay on Keller I wonder? Pity to break up the threesome as they did play off each other very well but it makes sense for Digby to move on to something else at this stage. I love him and Hanssen together so I hope we see some Digby/Hanssen interplay on Hanssen's return.

I also hope that Mary Claire is not going but if she is leaving I hope that they at least give the character a happy ending!

It looks like Dom and Zosia still stay together on Keller as I saw a photo of filming on Keller recently and Zosia, Guy, Dominic, Sasha and Essie were all there so Guy looks like he is heading there too. Ollie is clearly going to Darwin and I presume that someone else also will if Jac and Jonny are both leaving...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also hope that Mary Claire is not going but if she is leaving I hope that they at least give the character a happy ending!

It looks like Dom and Zosia still stay together on Keller as I saw a photo of filming on Keller recently and Zosia, Guy, Dominic, Sasha and Essie were all there so Guy looks like he is heading there too. Ollie is clearly going to Darwin and I presume that someone else also will if Jac and Jonny are both leaving...

That's quite a good line up on Keller (apart from Self). I hope Sacha is made a proper consultant rather than an acting one. Glad Essie is going there too.

Darwin will need someone to replace Jonny as head nurse. Another male nurse is unlikely I think, with Ollie returning as well, Elliot will probably be made clinical lead again in Jac's absence. Mo could well get a consultant's post.

AAU will be strange. I don't see Digby fitting in that well with Fletch and Raf. But he has worked with Ric and Serena before and got on well. AAU needs Spence to liven it up!!
  • Options
    Grumpy_AlanGrumpy_Alan Posts: 1,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trambone wrote: »

Look on the bright side.

He was arrested for the serious offence if assuming that excessive gurning, unnecessary manic glares and for the further offence of assuming that incomprehensible mumbling is an acceptable substitute for proper acting.

A fairly ridiculous character and a mediocre performer.
This discussion has been closed.