CBBC: Past,Present, Future

Comments

• DanslinkDanslink Posts: 8,365
    Forum Member
    anybody remember Miss Boomerang with Toyah Wilcox?? terrbile show it was but cool theme tune BRING ON TMI IN SEPTEMBER!!!
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This thread is reminding me of some good shows. Funnily enough, I heard the (brilliant) theme tune from Round the Twist on the radio the other day ("Have you ever/ever felt like this/Do strange things happen?/Are you going round the twist?" Or something very like that, anyway)

Actually, quite a few kids shows had fantastic theme tunes. Remember the theme from The Racoons (from the end of the show - Run With Us) or from Mysterious Cities of Gold or Greedysaurus Gang?

Although technically too old for kids TV now, I think CBBC is still showing a lot of real quality. Sarah Jane Adventures, of course, is brilliant (often just as good as Dr Who), but I also like Raven, Trapped, Young Dracula.
  • jonjonsjonjons Posts: 4,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, I started watching about 1995-2005 just before it all changed.
    I was there for playdays,chucklevision(and the one on a boat)/GYOB/grange hill...
    i hated byker grove and perfered grange hill
    i liked early series of queens nose
    loved round the twist/wildhouse/microscope
    Blue eter line up was brill-simon,konnie,liz,matt
    sat mornign tv was amazin-live and kicking,saturday show,tmi
    but when TMI moved it felt cbbc had a hole on them and it came more childish

cartoons- arthur, rugrats,scooby doo,bodger and badger

i loved gemma ,Abs, jake,fearne,Sophie....

kerching was a brilliant program

xchange was my favourite i think as i went on 7 times and it was so fun

i always liked the big studio and the garden and how they worked together es wen they redid part of the cbbc studio they moved it all into one studio and you felt at home there, when I watch TMi i think of the origianl studios they had after they left the studios with x factor.

It was very much teenagish in the early 00's with sclub 7 shows/TOTP...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sorry i forgot demon headmaster, cavegirl as well to that list and even newsround with Lizo and Becky.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87
    Forum Member
    Kerching, Tracy Beaker, Arthur!!, the old Grange Hill and Byker Grove
    I loved The Saturday Show and Live and Kicking
  • Jen-BJen-B Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Round the Twist (Does this count?) I also remember liking that Australian one about the girl who lives in the sea or something! That was an odd one.

It was called Ocean Odyssey - although if you ever want to go looking for it, it was called Ocean Girl in Australia and it's usually under that name.

I loved The Animals of Farthing Wood - I think that was a CBBC programme.

Does anyone remember the summer holiday shows they did? It was on practically every weekday in the summer, and they used the "feelin' hot, hot, hot..." song as the theme tune.
  • Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    Born in 89.

Loved CBBC when I was it's target age, specially the Saturday morning fest Live and Kicking (before it went shit).

My sister is now it's target age but she doesn't watch it, she's into Disney Channel and the like, and to be honest, I don't blame her. As repetitive, xenophobic and cheesey as Disney's output is these days.. CBBC's plain awful now.

Last thing I watched there as a kid was Jeopardy, which was brilliant. Having just wikied it to make sure it was definitely CBBC, I notice there's no DVD release of it in either the UK or Aus, what a shame, it was better than some adult dramas :(.
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonjons wrote: »
    sorry i forgot demon headmaster, cavegirl as well to that list and even newsround with Lizo and Becky.

Oh, lord, Cavegirl! Stacey Cadman in her outfit! Oh my! :D
  • PaStY11PaStY11 Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    The Animals of Farthing Wood was one of my favs !!!
  • mojo5000mojo5000 Posts: 54,086
    Forum Member
    This thread is bringing it all back! I loved CBBC, much more than CITV. I always loved the drama programmes - Byker Grove, Grange Hill, The Wild House, Microsoap (one of the actors from this who played a teen is now in Bones), The Demon Headmaster, Queen's Nose, Maid Marian and her Merry Men, Out of Tune, The Biz. Does anyone remember 'See How They Run'? It was a book adaptation about a family under witness protection - I was absolutely gripped every week. There was also a terrifying programme called Elidor (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIjSd7k_uX4).

I loved Live and Kicking with Zoe and Jamie too.

The problem with kids TV right now I think is that there are too many imported cartoons and not enough original home-grown shows, particularly drama ones. I know it's probably to do with money and budgets and the reality that kids have more choice about what they watch and what they do but it's a shame there are very few classic kids dramas and things anymore. Also I think the problem was when CBBC tried to aim to a younger age group - surely kids of all ages can enjoy slightly older programming?

(Unrelated but there was a drama on CITV called "24/7" about students and one of them was called Beans, but no one ever seems to remember this besides me! :D)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think the problem was, was that it was very new in the 90s to have all these programmes and now tis like they would repeat themselves so they now stick tot rash like Nevs show...

I loved smile on a sunday before all the games came in with children, i think children make it look more kiddish.

I remember in early 00's i would wake up at 7:15 for Home farm twins then UGETME, which was a brilliant program
  • NeonopticNeonoptic Posts: 583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Potsworth & Company
    Paw Paw Bears
    Bucky O Hare
    Escape From Jupiter
    The Girl From Tomorrow
    Pigeon Street
    Simon And The Witch
    Why Don't You?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JAS84 wrote: »
    Soph, you do know you can edit your posts? The Edit button should be next to the Quote button.

sorry yeah i did know, i just didnt think to edit
    aah Get Your Own Back where the kids got a chance to be gunged as well as the adults. I also remember Insides out in 2000 and the demon headmaster.

Kenan and Kel I LOVE ORANGE SODA lol. I wish this was repeated either on CBBC or Virgin1.

Its missing a good Saturday morning TV show i remember Live and Kicking, TSS, D&D. Much better than that TMI crap these days.

oooo i loved them!
    I miss live and kicking :(

The show I really want to see again is jeopardy though, i havent seen it in ages and miss it so much!
  • Hutchy_MuseHutchy_Muse Posts: 7,080
    Forum Member
    Born in '95, here were my favourites;

Dick & Dom In Da Bungalow
    Saturday Show
    Arthur
    Jeopardy
    Blue Peter before around 2005/6
    Tracey Beaker
    Kerching!

and one no one has mentioned;

Short Change!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PaStY11 wrote: »
    The Animals of Farthing Wood was one of my favs !!!

Oh my god i had forgotten about that programme, aww the memories! :):)
    This thread is reminding me of some good shows. Funnily enough, I heard the (brilliant) theme tune from Round the Twist on the radio the other day ("Have you ever/ever felt like this/Do strange things happen?/Are you going round the twist?" Or something very like that, anyway)

Actually, quite a few kids shows had fantastic theme tunes. Remember the theme from The Racoons (from the end of the show - Run With Us) or from Mysterious Cities of Gold or Greedysaurus Gang?

Although technically too old for kids TV now, I think CBBC is still showing a lot of real quality. Sarah Jane Adventures, of course, is brilliant (often just as good as Dr Who), but I also like Raven, Trapped, Young Dracula.

You are so right! The theme tune to "Ducktales" & "Gummi Bears" are 2 that i still can remember and make me smile.....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Not the same thing.

There was a show on CBBC (a live action series, not an animation) with a weird family. A boy who loved creatures, i think there was another boy and a girl.

Remember very little about it, but know what the other poster is thinking of.

It was called the Wild House:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wild_House

:)
  • Taz93Taz93 Posts: 13,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tracey Beaker
    Kerching!
    The Basil Brush Show
    Xchange
    Blue Peter
    Raven.

I watched all of these.

My fave was Jeopardy. I still don't get what it was about though lol, all that disappearing and red eye lol.:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,418
    Forum Member
    I was more of a CITV kid :o I was born in 87.
    I do remember most of the shows mentioned here fondly. I'd say post-Kerching and Tracy beaker, it seriously went downhill.

I couldn't tell you the name of anything they show now, I have watched but none of them are memorable, often 'modern' parodies of shows they had a decade ago, but they don't live up to their predecessors.
    I don't see why they can't show some of the classics, I'm sure the younger generation would love them just as much as we did :)
  • Taz93Taz93 Posts: 13,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    summerain wrote: »
    I was more of a CITV kid :o I was born in 87.
    I do remember most of the shows mentioned here fondly. I'd say post-Kerching and Tracy beaker, it seriously went downhill.

I couldn't tell you the name of anything they show now, I have watched but none of them are memorable, often 'modern' parodys of shows they had a decade ago, but they don't live up to their predecessors.
    I don't see why they can't show some of the classics, I'm sure the younger generation would love them just as much as we did :)

How Dare You. :mad::rolleyes::o:p:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,418
    Forum Member
    Taz93 wrote: »
    How Dare You. :mad::rolleyes::o:p:D

I do apolgise :p
    CITV shows were generally superior in my opinion, I'd watch Wizadora over Tracy Beaker any day :D she'd shut that little brat up!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite fancy Chris Jarvis :o

I loved Mysterious Cities of Gold, Thundercats,.
  • TranceClubberTranceClubber Posts: 2,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiggerkev wrote: »
    I loved CBBC when i was a kid....

Round The Twist
    The Demon Headmaster
    The Queens Nose
    Kenan & Kel

Going Live and Live & Kicking made saturdays my favourite day. I used to love The Racoons so much!!!

Dont forget The Moomins and Noah's Island those were both on CBBC on BBC Two in the mornings back in the 90's :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CBBC used to be great ... the current quality of the CBBC pales in comparison to its former self. The only decent shows are the old repeats and Sarah Jane Adventures.
  • Razor61289Razor61289 Posts: 523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2 words - Broom Cupboard
  • fugitivefugitive Posts: 4,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i cant help but cry when i see the dire state of cbbc today :cry: