Judges - is it time for a change?

daniel hallidaydaniel halliday Posts: 863
Forum Member
✭✭
after the comment's from Len , which i saw as very impartial, is it time to replace them?

if they can't accept that WE the public have 50% of the vote and that it is our right to choose who we wish then maybe its time for them to go,

Len whilst he has been fair and respectful has now become a slightly more acceptable reincarnation of Craig Vile Harwood,

Arlene is just plain embarrassing, her silly schoolgirl behaviour and lusting after certain male celebs makes me cringe, its like watch my granny trying to get of with an 18 yr old,

Craig has become a nasty vile creature, reminds me of the actress Joan Crawford who was said to be a vile repulsive human being, of course make comment but why does he have to be vile and nasty?

Bruno ok does say negative things but he does not cause offence with the way he says it,

Len will calm down but i feel in my own personal opinion that fresh blood is needed on the judges panel, lets get rid of the arlene/craig pair and then bring in three new judges to sit alongside bruno/len, then we will have a fresh perspective from what i see as a rather staid repressive judging group,

Comments

• bendymixerbendymixer Posts: 18,628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    keep the judges get rid of the public!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 158
    Forum Member
    I think the American version's setup of 3 judges works better somehow. Maybe they could bring Carrie-Ann Inaba over? Hmm.
    I think, in general, people are too sensitive of the judges' "being mean" to their favourites. I find them OK usually. When they actually say things that a relevant it's awesome, but I think overall they need to become a bit more positive. Although the overmarking and overpraising of the American "Dancing With The Stars" is a bit cringeworthy sometimes. And both Len and Bruno, and Carrie-Ann told the public 82-year old Cloris Leachman did not deserve to be there over other more able dancers and that they should stop voting for her. And that's on the "Super Duper Positive!" Dancing With The Stars....
    Anyway, as for replacing the judges, I think the addition of a former pro (or even a current pro) from the show would be a great idea. Sometimes I really wonder what they could actually say about Ballroom and Latin.
  • CaptainSensibleCaptainSensible Posts: 5,485
    Forum Member
    I think all of the judges are getting a bit carried away with the 'I wish the public wouldn't vote for X thing'. I find it annoying too, but public involvement is an essential part of SCD and trying to influence the public vote is just going to backfire.

On the judges in general:

I think Craig & Arlene (and to a lesser extent Bruno) are doing OK this year; plenty of constructive criticism etc. Arlene's alliterations still piss me off immensely though; she makes more sense when she isn't trying to do an impression of a thesaurus. And Craig doesn't need to be so nasty to couples that he just doesn't rate (marks below 3-4 should only be for major screw-ups like a couple not finishing a routine or doing several illegal things).

I've had enough of Len though. He's rude, arrogant, slow (take bloody ages to say anything), and generally a pain in the arse.
  • bendymixerbendymixer Posts: 18,628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A former pro or current pro would not work as a judge on the show by all means bring in a top professional Judge but not one of the dancers - as for the woman off DWTS she knows very little about Ballroom and Latin would hate her on SCD
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 158
    Forum Member
    top professional Judge but not one of the dancers

yeah maybe, I just meant someone with a lot of experience in Latin and Ballroom really. I just think sometimes they need more than 1 judge out of 4 who knows what their talking about in regards to the actual genre of dance, and not just dance in general.
  • thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,624
    Forum Member
    after the comment's from Len , which i saw as very impartial, is it time to replace them?

if they can't accept that WE the public have 50% of the vote and that it is our right to choose who we wish then maybe its time for them to go,

Len whilst he has been fair and respectful has now become a slightly more acceptable reincarnation of Craig Vile Harwood,

Arlene is just plain embarrassing, her silly schoolgirl behaviour and lusting after certain male celebs makes me cringe, its like watch my granny trying to get of with an 18 yr old,

Craig has become a nasty vile creature, reminds me of the actress Joan Crawford who was said to be a vile repulsive human being, of course make comment but why does he have to be vile and nasty?

Bruno ok does say negative things but he does not cause offence with the way he says it,

Len will calm down but i feel in my own personal opinion that fresh blood is needed on the judges panel, lets get rid of the arlene/craig pair and then bring in three new judges to sit alongside bruno/len, then we will have a fresh perspective from what i see as a rather staid repressive judging group,

Hardly. The judges are doing their job pointing out the good and the dross. A minority of the voting minority subgroup of the public are keeping John in regardless of the clear gap between his capabilities and everyone elses. Any judge or teacher should complain that the best students were being thrown out for no reason other than to upset the teaching staff or that some people thought someone doing very little, very poorly, was amusing .Its something you owe to the other students who are working hard and improving as well as the show.There's no point in anyone trying for quality if doing nothing earns more votes.

There's no point tinkering with the judges unless you want people who will give everyone however lame a 9 for not falling down the stairs. Judges are there to judge - compared to anyone else John is a 3 or a 4 in a good week and a 1 in a bad week. Any judge will say that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    deleted
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of course not.

It's a bit irritating when they under-/over-mark but they usually get the order roughly right...and it's not as if they're real 'officials'....just part of the cast...a cog in the production machine.

They play their roles - and the viewers - quite well on the whole. :cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eventually the judges will cotton on to the fact that the more they tell us not to vote for someone, the more we'll do it. It's fair enough they vote for the dancing and we vote for what entertains us. That's the rule and how it should stay. I understand their frustration when they don't get their way - it's THEIR field after all. But they knew what they were signing up to.