Israel/Palestine - who actually gives a damn anymore?

Comments

• Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Binman ..

I'm struggling to understand your absurd logic. Personally, I couldn't give a hoot if I agree or disagree with a particular group, I think it's wonderful to see people protesting for what they believe in. It's known as democracy and something that makes me proud to be British. Perhaps, Zimbabwe is more of your liking.
  • Fairbairn SykesFairbairn Sykes Posts: 673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Binman ..

I'm struggling to understand your absurd logic. Personally, I couldn't give a hoot if I agree or disagree with a particular group, I think it's wonderful to see people protesting for what they believe in. It's known as democracy and something that makes me proud to be British. Perhaps, Zimbabwe is more of your liking.

I think he means he can't be bothered having to sit in traffic whilst a bunch of 5th columnist Muslims with loyalties to Hamas march in London.
  • richcleverrichclever Posts: 12,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think he means he can't be bothered having to sit in traffic whilst a bunch of 5th columnist Muslims with loyalties to Hamas march in London.

If you don't have anything constructive to say then please don't!
  • BinnmanBinnman Posts: 4,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Binman ..

My absurd logic? Okay I'll see if I can make it clearer.

Will this march make any difference to Israeli Policy? NO

Will this march give any actual assistance to the civilians in Gaza? NO

So just who is going to benefit?

Galloway and the rest, that's who! Because they'll be able to walk around smug as hell and telling everyone that they marched in protest against the great Zionist Monster.

Binnman
  • CXC3000CXC3000 Posts: 10,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Binnman, it seems you don't want the British public to be reminded about the Israeli onslaught against the Palestinians (in regards the demonstrations).

You're afraid the exposure will sway the opinion (of Joe Public) against Israel.

Is that what you're worried about ? :cool:

Here's a solution : if you can, ask Israel to stop killing children, and then maybe, just maybe, there might not be a need to demonstrate.
  • misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Binnman wrote: »
    My absurd logic? Okay I'll see if I can make it clearer.

Will this march make any difference to Israeli Policy? NO

Will this march give any actual assistance to the civilians in Gaza? NO

So just who is going to benefit?

Galloway and the rest, that's who! Because they'll be able to walk around smug as hell and telling everyone that they marched in protest against the great Zionist Monster.

Binnman

Organise your own demonstration then supporting the zionists.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CXC3000 wrote: »
    Binnman, it seems you don't want the British public to be reminded about the Israeli onslaught against the Palestinians (in regards the demonstrations).

You're afraid the exposure will sway the opinion (of Joe Public) against Israel.

Is that what you're worried about ? :cool:

Here's a solution : if you can, ask Israel to stop killing children, and then maybe, just maybe, there might not be a need to demonstrate.

With all the media coverage, I don't think the UK Public are in any doubt about what is going on.

It doesn't matter a jot whether there is a demonstration against Israel or against Hamas. Both sides have indicated quite clearly their intentions to continue the attacks on each other.

A bunch of idiots walking about London is going to make not one jot of difference.

Binnman
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    misawa97 wrote: »
    Organise your own demonstration then supporting the zionists.

Why the hell should I do that?

Therein lies the difference between you and I.

I can see quite clearly that there are faults on both sides of this conflict.

You, on the other hand can only see Israel as the baddies, whilst Hamas are the goodies.

Binnman
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why the hell should I do that?

Therein lies the difference between you and I.

I can see quite clearly that there are faults on both sides of this conflict.

You, on the other hand can only see Israel as the baddies, whilst Hamas are the goodies.

Binnman

Binnman, whilst you don't think that the protest tomorrow will do any good (and it may not), don't you think we have the right to demonstrate?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    richclever wrote: »
    Binnman, whilst you don't think that the protest tomorrow will do any good (and it may not), don't you think we have the right to demonstrate?

That's not my point rich. The only place a demonstration would have a small chance of working would be in Tel Aviv, and by the Israeli people themselves.

Governments will always pay attention to those who elect them..................not outsiders.

Binnman
  • Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's not my point rich. The only place a demonstration would have a small chance of working would be in Tel Aviv, and by the Israeli people themselves.

I imagine a return ticket to Tel Aviv with accommodation is dirt' cheap .. not. People are hardly rolling in money these days.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I imagine a return ticket to Tel Aviv with accommodation is dirt' cheap .. not. People are hardly rolling in money these days.

I wonder what the chances of getting a ticket is, if you're a Palestinian ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Governments will always pay attention to those who elect them..................not outsiders.

Binnman

Yes a demo by Israeli's in Tel Aviv against the bombings would certainly be hard hitting and have a bigger impact. I totally agree with you on that one and hope it will happen as there are plenty of people in Israel against the current actions of their government.

However it is also important that people's voices are heard around the world so that Israel realises that their actions are abhorred by a cross section of worlds population. That is why the demo tomorrow is important and could have an impact.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One should remember that the majority of Israelis support what their governments doing in Gaza.

Unfortunately, if there is a demonstration against the brutal actions of the IDF, they'll most likely go un-noticed.

Either that, or the protesters will be tarnished as being 'anti-Semites' :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree wholeheartedly, which is why I pointed out in the first place, the amount of money this will cost the London Taxpayers.

You are talking tens of thousands of pounds, to Police a demo which hasn't got a rats chance of achieving a thing.

Add to that, the lost revenue for shops on the route, as folks stay away. Something which these shops can ill afford.

Take it to the possible end result, the marchers are placing jobs at risk, just to feel good about themselves.

How bloody selfish is that?

Binnman
  • etldlrletldlrl Posts: 6,162
    Forum Member
    AZZURRI 06 wrote: »
    The problem with the whole Israel/Gaza thing is that most people who take an interest are biased, which is fair enough but it will not move the day of peace one day closer.

Indeed. The bilious ranting is getting nobody anywhere. Of course, people are free to hold rallies in support of one side or the other but it does no good.

I think that the people who have let both Israel and the Palestinians down worst are their own "friends". A real friend gives you good advice and tries to help you out of trouble. The "friends" of Israel and the Palestinians are more like to sort of moron "pub-friends" who cheerfully egg you on when you are doing something are going to regret later and never help you once you are in the shit.

The worst thing a "friend of Israel" can do is uncritically support the failed policies of the Israeli government. The worst thing a "friend of Palestine" can do is uncritically support terrorism as supposed path to nationhood.
  • tiggertinytiggertiny Posts: 5,361
    Forum Member
    CXC3000 wrote: »
    One should remember that the majority of Israelis support what their governments doing in Gaza.

Unfortunately, if there is a demonstration against the brutal actions of the IDF, they'll most likely go un-noticed.

Either that, or the protesters will be tarnished as being 'anti-Semites' :cool:

There has always been a small minority protesting against just about anything and everything over the years. They come and go, over time.

I suggest you go and protest in Palestine against what Hamas has been doing although you wouldn't last long they don't like people who don't share their hatred of Israel and the West.
  • mikeydddmikeyddd Posts: 11,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brilliant, just fcuking brilliant!!! :rolleyes:

This country is on the verge of financial collapse and the taxpayers are going to have to fork out money for Police and Ambulance coverage for your day out :mad:

If you want to demonstrate, then beggar off to Gaza or Israel and do it.

We've got enough problems of our own at the moment, without you lot adding to them.

Binnman

Goood point and if CX3000 can put down his GCSE revision for long enough why doesn't he go to Gaza and help out in some capacity it would do more good that writing BS on here.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So you don't really care enough to actually make some sort of sacrifice yourself then?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,967
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikeyddd wrote: »
    Goood point and if CX3000 can put down his GCSE revision for long enough why doesn't he go to Gaza and help out in some capacity it would do more good that writing BS on here.

I notice the zionists usually descend to hurling personal insults. Sad.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ameri wrote: »
    I notice the zionists usually descend to hurling personal insults. Sad.

What is a zionist I'm welsh
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,967
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikeyddd wrote: »
    What is a zionist I'm welsh

Which part? I used to live in Neath :D That's where my dad is from.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ameri wrote: »
    Which part? I used to live in Neath :D That's where my dad is from.

Monmouthsire
  • RelugusRelugus Posts: 12,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the worst thing the UK can do is "get involved". Whenever we do, our soldiers come home in body bags. If you stay out of other people's problems, they won't hate you.

The Tibetans are in a far worse situation than the Palestinians; at least there is criticism of Israel, whereas world leaders including Mr. Brown and especially the EU kissed China's backside and have tacitly supported China's occupation of Tibet (indeed the EU seems to now wholeheartedly endorse it).
    The same people who rant about Israel are much more silent about China, because their aren't any political points to be scored.

This war between Israel and Palestine will go on forever, because the US backs Israel, the, Russia, the Arab world, and Iran backs Hamas, while the EU seeks to curry the favour of Muslim voters by pandering to the Arab viewpoint. The Muslim world will never accept the existence of Israel so there will always be conflict sadly.

There are too many vested interests in sustaining the conflict.

The only way you could create peace is by separating Israel and Palestine and isolating them from each other. The whole "living side by side" notion is idealistic twaddle and the fact that the deluded egomaniac Tony Blair spouted it tells you how credible a notion it is.
  • etldlrletldlrl Posts: 6,162
    Forum Member
    Relugus wrote: »
    The only way you could create peace is by separating Israel and Palestine and isolating them from each other. The whole "living side by side" notion is idealistic twaddle and the fact that the deluded egomaniac Tony Blair spouted it tells you how credible a notion it is.

The trouble is that there is nowhere you can draw a border that would be acceptable to both sides. Any partition would lead to both sides feeling cheated by the border. The Palestinians would feel, with justification, that they were being given the crappy bits.

I favour a much more radical solution: You create a single state with a common infrastructure and strict 50-50 power-sharing between the two sides so that they can either choose to work together or die together. The hope is that the sensible people on both sides will quickly form an alliance to keep the crazy people under control. Of course, it could just as easily degenerate into civil war but think of the advantages if it could be made to stick. Everybody would get equal rights and equal access to resources. Everybody would be able to live wherever they wanted. Everybody would get a recognised passport. It would secularise Israel, which is something most sensible Israelis would love. Both Jews and non-resident Palestinians would get the "right of return". The Palestinians being abused abroad would get a powerful government (with nukes) to stick up for them. Vast amounts of money wasted on security could be diverted into the civil economy.

I have no idea if the story of their being a serious gas field under Gaza is actually true but if it is then the combined state including the resources of both Israel and the Palestinian authority could be very rich.

In the end it should not be a hard decision. What do you want to be: Rich or dead? Trouble is, we know that there are sizeable and powerful minorities on both sides who are so far gone that they will never see it that way.