Why do people support Labour?

12346»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    They're too thick to vote wisely, apparently.

Perhaps it's that they haven't had the oportunitues that the wealthy have had.

I come from a poor family we didn't get the same chances as people with money.

I went to a local school the teacher hated me and made my life hell, she never gave me any hep and rediculed me for not being able to read (when it wes her job to teach me how to do) If my mum had had money she would have moved me to a different school, maybe a private one. but we were unable to enjoy such a privilage. I have educated myself over the years and now believe I am quite inteligent and am able to do a job that requires a reasonable level of edication and skills. but when I was younger I really believed I was thick, because I had been told this so often by teachers like this evil woman.
    Nobody can tell me that inteligence is automatically comes with money and oportunity. And education, even today isn't fairly distributed because some children are unfortunate enough to be born into families where it isn't a priority.
  • paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    Perhaps it's that they haven't had the oportunitues that the wealthy have had.

I come from a poor family we didn't get the same chances as people with money.

I went to a local school the teacher hated me and made my life hell, she never gave me any hep and rediculed me for not being able to read (when it wes her job to teach me how to do) If my mum had had money she would have moved me to a different school, maybe a private one. but we were unable to enjoy such a privilage. I have educated myself over the years and now believe I am quite inteligent and am able to do a job that requires a reasonable level of edication and skills. but when I was younger I really believed I was thick, because I had been told this so often by teachers like this evil woman.
    Nobody can tell me that inteligence is automatically comes with money and oportunity. And education, even today isn't fairly distributed because some children are unfortunate enough to be born into families where it isn't a priority.

I could read before I went to school - but as we could not afford books I was given the paper to read.

Can't spell for toffee though - I was taught to read (even though I could already) phonetically which mucked up my ability to spell!

It was only later in my childhood that we were 'rich' - but that was not a paper wealth.
  • IgnazioIgnazio Posts: 18,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    Working class people support Labour because they think it's the thing to do.
    I know more than one working class family who think that voting Tory makes them middle class.

I was discussing Thatcher's death with an elderly work colleague who remembers well the catastrophic impact her policies had on our manufacturing industries. Her well qualified and lucratively employed husband lost his job and never worked again; he was too old, over qualified etc.

When I asked if as a result she changed her allegiance to Labour she hesitated before saying "I couldn't bring myself to do that - the Conservative Committee Rooms were always in our house."
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I could read before I went to school - but as we could not afford books I was given the paper to read.

Can't spell for toffee though - I was taught to read (even though I could already) phonetically which mucked up my ability to spell!

It was only later in my childhood that we were 'rich' - but that was not a paper wealth.

My mother had 7 children to raise alone (not my fault) we lived in a village (not my fault) the teacher hated me (not my fault, she disaproved of my mother, she was a conservative voter and thought my mother was a spunger) I left school at 15 to try and make something of myself I joined the Royal Navy at under 16 and travelled the world. I have never (until recently) had a chance to prove myself in anything other than labouring work. I believe there are people from all walks of life and so-called classes that could potentially change the world.
    I believe there is far too much waste in this country and one of the areas where what we waste is the most tragic is the waste of potential in the people who live in this nation.
    Forum Member
    I believe there are people from all walks of life and so-called classes that could potentially change the world. I believe there is far too much waste in this country and one of the areas where what we waste is the most tragic is the waste of potential in the people who live in this nation.

I think we could agree with that statement - I just don't think the state is the best handled to achieve it.

I do wonder why when faced with companies complaining of a skills shortage New Labour thought the answer was to increase the supply of workers by bringing in tens of thousands of cheaper workers from abroad. (thereby supressing workers).

The whole thing looked as bent as a nine-bob note

The sensible answer would be to encourage training, and closer links between local employers and educational establishments, so that pupils could gain the skills needed.

When I was at secondary school we had an entire week where older children did projects alongside one of the larger local employers (Smiths Industries) which gave them a look at industry and a chance for the company itself to see the next lot of school leavers. I really don't know why this does not happen more often.
  • lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Better than the alternative. I tend to.vote lib dem but I have no political tendencies... If you don't count my aversion to the Tory party.:o
  • Gordon ClownGordon Clown Posts: 612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    :rolleyes: Congrats! Wankiest thread i've seen all day created just to stir people up.

How rude.
  • Gordon ClownGordon Clown Posts: 612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you think a dictatorship would work? Like someone who has full control over polices and doesn't have everything vetoed?
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »
    Brown promised us no more boom and bust....He broke his promise

He did.

But then Cameron promised us he'd start paying off our debt, and yet he's still making it bigger.

As I've said before, anyone who thinks that *any* party or politician is going to make a blind bit of difference has fooled themselves into believing in some sort of effectiveness in politicians.
  • Lady StardustLady Stardust Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    I support Labour in theory but after Tony Blair and Gordon Brown, I don't think I can ever bring myself to vote for them again.

I'm leaning more towards the Green party these days in terms of where my vote is most likely to go.
  • The NetThe Net Posts: 5,484
    Forum Member
    The huge irony of the argument trotted out by the right is that the last Government got us into huge debt a good deal of which was the massive bailout of the banks.

The irony is that the policies pursued by these banks was as a result of deregulation of the City and the pursuit of the "greed is good" ethos proffered by Thatcherite ideology. There's no escaping that fact.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think people are far less likely to identify with the same political party all their lives as was common until the eighties. It seems people tend to switch between parties now and in a lot of cases don't vote.
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Do you think a dictatorship would work? Like someone who has full control over polices and doesn't have everything vetoed?

It works sometimes. However, it only works if:

1) The dictator is doing it for societal altruism, and not for personal gain
    and
    2) As long as no-one else tries to hold a coup, which then involves repression to try and carry on as normal.

Some dictators start out with the best intentions, but fail because they either fail to achieve consensus and then gain enemies or because they lose focus on their original aim.

Democracy often on fails on the same points, but is also constrained by having to give things away for popular support.
  • Lady StardustLady Stardust Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    Glenn A wrote: »
    I think people are far less likely to identify with the same political party all their lives as was common until the eighties. It seems people tend to switch between parties now and in a lot of cases don't vote.

I'll always vote because I feel it's a privilege to be able to do so, but I don't think I'd ever have a rule that I'd only vote for the same party as long as I live. My family are all Labour, generally, but I just can't personally bring myself to support them anymore. Blair and Brown just about destroyed this country, in my eyes.
  • IgnazioIgnazio Posts: 18,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    They're too thick to vote wisely, apparently.
    Even less wise than the Tory voting and bread roll throwing Hooray Henrys and Henriettas?
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll always vote because I feel it's a privilege to be able to do so, but I don't think I'd ever have a rule that I'd only vote for the same party as long as I live. My family are all Labour, generally, but I just can't personally bring myself to support them anymore. Blair and Brown just about destroyed this country, in my eyes.

There are county elections here, but faced between a useless Labour council and some Conservative who doesn't even canvass, what's the point?
  • topcat3topcat3 Posts: 3,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think because they're on benefits and benefits are generally more under labour
  • Musicman103Musicman103 Posts: 2,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MadMoo40 wrote: »
    Where I live, for some years now employers have had to advertise for farm labourers in Poland and Portugal, as none of the local unemployed ever bothered to apply for the jobs when they were advertised. And far from being unskilled, the foreign workers are often very highly skilled with good degrees, but are willing to work in a job which requires no skills rather than not work at all.

Check out this series on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbq_2dai4Hk

From memory, about half of the locals didn't even bother turning up for their first day of work, others went off ill and some couldn't even do a day's work, exhausted after about an hour!

That's interesting because where I live and work, the low paid jobs are done by people with East European accents. Cleaners, porters, kitchen workers etc

I'm starting to associate them with low paid work

They may BE skilled but they're not in the high paid jobs.

I don't believe we ever had a 'skills' shortage. We had an unskills shortage. They couldn't fill the min wage positions. of course min wage doesn't pay the bills and the horrendous housing costs in this country, so you end up claiming some benefits.

Our immigration policy has been a shambles. I saw a docu where a bloke and his family from S America were living almost entirely off the state, except from his measly wage. He worked in a shop, although claimed to be an engineer and their housing benefit was £2,000 a month (London).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They all say what they think you want to hear, as that gets them in power. The minute they do get in they do what the chuff they want anyway.
  • cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    Labour or Cons - Its simply a matter of deciding which of the two will continue to ruin the UK sooner !
  • GibsonSGGibsonSG Posts: 23,681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Their policies don't seem to make sense. They just seem to get us in a shit heap of debt.

I presume labourer supporters are of the lower class?

Of course I am guessing that you intended that to be an offensive comment. A lot of modrn Labour MP's and supporters are not from the 'lower' classes as it happens. It is also true that a lot of Tory supporters are not from the upper classes.
    Forum Member
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    He did.

But then Cameron promised us he'd start paying off our debt, and yet he's still making it bigger.

As I've said before, anyone who thinks that *any* party or politician is going to make a blind bit of difference has fooled themselves into believing in some sort of effectiveness in politicians.

Another person who does not know the difference between a deficit and a debt. Cameron promised to pay off the structural deficit - originally by 2015 but now will take a little longer. The debt cannot go down until the deficit is negative - the last time that happened was 2000-2001 - which Brown achieved by keeping to Tory spending limits.
  • GibsonSGGibsonSG Posts: 23,681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    He did.

Absolutley!
  • SoppyfanSoppyfan Posts: 29,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do people vote Labour? Because they forgot who introduced tuition fees. ;)
  • Tall PaulTall Paul Posts: 8,786
    Forum Member
    Simple answer as labour seem like they are working as a team where as the coalition are more like individuals. I think labour have changed an awful lot since they were beaten in the last general election like they've made some very valid challenges like the Murdoch saga, the unfair budget and the NHS issues. Why should ed tell people his agenda and not keep his promise? No logic at all. :rolleyes: