Explosion at Boston Marathon

Comments

• jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davidmcn wrote: »
    And also odd (from the perspective of an Islamist attack in a Western country) that nobody has made even dubious claims of responsibility for the attack, or any equivalent to the "suicide tapes" made by other bombers. If the point was to draw attention to the cause, what was it? Or have they decided that it's even more disruptive to leave everyone wondering?
    It may well be that other contacts had no certainty he would carry out an attack or where, it doesn't mean he didn't get advice on how he might carry out an attack or encouragement to do so in Dagestan. The reasoning of the elder brother, who I think was the main instigator, may really be quite simple resentment that he hadn't managed to integrate or succeed academically in the way his younger brother had, this may have been exascerbated by mental health issues & family instability (for one or both of the brothers).
  • WinterLilyWinterLily Posts: 6,303
    Forum Member
    jzee wrote: »
    This is a conspiracy meme that is spreading round the net, the fact they haven't released images of them planting the bombs, it is likely they aren't doing so as they don't want to compromise the case. We do know the victim who had both of his legs amputated, has now stated DT was the person he saw putting the bag down in front of him, 2 minutes before it exploded.

I don't really see how you are explaining why DT was on camera robbing a 7/11, how his brother is now dead with explosion burns on his body, and how & why DT was found hiding in a boat having previously suffered gunshots wounds, hence the trail of blood into the boat.

I am not talking about conspiracy. I do not believe in conspiracy theories.....

If they have images of them planting the bombs then at some point we will most certainly see them. With all respect to the gentleman who sadly lost both his legs witness identification is well known to be full of flaws. The man is shown an image of a suspect. He wants to find the man who has caused him to lose both his legs and he positively identifies him. He wants it to be the bomber, everyone wants it to be the bomber. It does not mean it is.

There was a shoot out.....the two who had been picked out in the crowd.....they were armed (as are a lot of people in the US), we are told the older brother was killed by explosives strapped to his body. We were told this. The younger brother escaped with gunshot wounds and was later found and arrested.

All of this proves nothing.....yet.

Were these individuals previously known to the FBI. If they had been involved with radicals from their own country they would certainly have been known. The young men would have known they were known.....yet paraded themselves in front of cameras near to where they allegedly placed bombs.

Unless they wanted to be caught......if so that is a different matter.
    I keep a thoroughly open mind.......at least one of them is alive therefore we will have a trial......let us wait and see......
  • skipjack79skipjack79 Posts: 3,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WinterLily wrote: »
    I may be totally wrong. I hope I am.

I wouldn't worry about conspiracies yet. All the evidence so far points to it being a run-of-the-mill Islamic terror attack.
  • curvybabescurvybabes Posts: 13,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shadow2009 wrote: »
    Some people donating $100. :eek: Wow.

Beautiful comments on that page.

yes there is :cry: poor guy but glad he is alive
  • stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,906
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Two young men picked out in the crowd. Two young men with backpacks. Two young men in the right place to place the bombs but did they? Do the photos show them with the bombs in their backpacks or not?

If the police are saying these pics were shown before they placed the bombs then I simply do not believe them. These bombs would have been heavy. The way they are walking, their posture, the way they are holding their backpacks do not suggest heaviness.

Is there any footage of them placing a bomb? Or simply just walking around....there are many other people walking about with backpacks. What is it about these two which makes them different?

I have many other questions about their background, their assimilation into US life, their religion. etc., etc., etc.,

Commonsense tells me something is not 'quite right'.

I may be totally wrong. I hope I am.

The bombs in the backpacks may well have been heavy but they were both fit young men, and were hardy going to appear to be staggering along under the weight,,...that would be too suspicious. Also. it is quite remarkable what weight can be carried in a backpack if it will properly adjusted. A soldier on route march will carry a backpack weighing between 40 and 60 lbs. A pressure cooker weighs about 5lbs, so with 5lbs of nails would only weigh 10lbs. I could easily carry twice that weight, and often do, and I am very unfit.

How can you see a bomb in a backpack?

There are plenty of photos of the 2 men standing together on the spot where the bomb was detonated. The pictures of the 'exploded' backpack match the backpack the elder brother was wearing. Another picture clearly shows the younger man leaving the scene without his backpack.......everyone else in the picture is either running or looking shocked or distressed. He looks calm.

The two men were seen later throwing explosives at the police from their vehicle. How many people have a stash of explosives to hand for 'emergency' use?

There is a whole host of well-documented evidence pointing to the two suspects as being responsible.

You might find that this extremely well written article interesting on their background, religion, etc:

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/201...JJL/story.html
    Forum Member
    egghead1 wrote: »
    Here we go another CT loon.
    Two youths have shootout with police and throw pipe bombs after being identified as bomb suspects,one dies another escapes and rather than end up filed with lead gives himself up. Seems cut and dried to me.

Lol! A CT loon I do like that............:rolleyes:

Nothing is ever cut and dried....well rarely. Unless you want it to be.:)
  • yellowparkyellowpark Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry I haven't read all the post but do we know a bit about why they planted a bomb and killed people yet?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    curvybabes wrote: »
    thanks

You're welcome.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Olls~ wrote: »
    Thank you :)

You're welcome, his fund is growing fast, it's heart warming to see so many good people out there. :)
    Forum Member
    The bombs in the backpacks may well have been heavy but they were both fit young men, and were hardy going to appear to be staggering along under the weight,,...that would be too suspicious. Also. it is quite remarkable what weight can be carried in a backpack if it will properly adjusted. A soldier on route march will carry a backpack weighing between 40 and 60 lbs. A pressure cooker weighs about 5lbs, so with 5lbs of nails would only weigh 10lbs. I could easily carry twice that weight, and often do, and I am very unfit.

How can you see a bomb in a backpack?

There are plenty of photos of the 2 men standing together on the spot where the bomb was detonated. The pictures of the 'exploded' backpack match the backpack the elder brother was wearing. Another picture clearly shows the younger man leaving the scene without his backpack.......everyone else in the picture is either running or looking shocked or distressed. He looks calm.

The two men were seen later throwing explosives at the police from their vehicle. How many people have a stash of explosives to hand for 'emergency' use?

There is a whole host of well-documented evidence pointing to the two suspects as being responsible.

You might find that this extremely well written article interesting on their background, religion, etc:

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/201...JJL/story.html

I am not talking about staggering. Simply look at their posture....those backpacks are light and do not contain anything heavy. I have not used a pressure cooker for a long time but I remember them as quite bulky.

I have not seen any photos of either of them walking about without a backpack. I have read it was the younger brother who was seen 'placing' the bomb.

I have ready stories of eye witnesses talking of a shoot out....but not of explosives being thrown at police. The only mention of explosives I have heard were the one's strapped to the body of the elder brother....as told by the police.

The evidence I have seen and heard appears to show conflicting evidence. As I said we will wait and see.

I do not believe in conspiraces. However, I do understand mistakes can be made when the authorities need to find those responsible for such terrible deeds and quickly.

It happened in the UK......it can happen anywhere. Let us wait and see. I will be happy to be proved wrong.
  • egghead1egghead1 Posts: 4,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 7/7 bombers carried bombs in backpacks,they dont have to be heavy,looking at the marathon event,there wasnt a lot of damage to buildings/lamposts/fences so weren't big bombs In a pressure cooker small amount would be enough to cost injuries to people.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they have images of them planting the bombs then at some point we will most certainly see them. With all respect to the gentleman who sadly lost both his legs witness identification is well known to be full of flaws.
    Do you really think they just randomly picked out these two brothers from the crowd and posted pictures of them? They posted the other images as they matched the images they have of the people who are putting down backpacks & walking away.
    There was a shoot out.....the two who had been picked out in the crowd.....they were armed (as are a lot of people in the US), we are told the older brother was killed by explosives strapped to his body. We were told this. The younger brother escaped with gunshot wounds and was later found and arrested.
    You don't seem to want to address the fact the elder brother has explosive marks on his body- how did that happen- did the police explode him? How & why did DT get into this boat? Why did he have gunshot wounds before he got in there?
    Were these individuals previously known to the FBI. If they had been involved with radicals from their own country they would certainly have been known. The young men would have known they were known.....yet paraded themselves in front of cameras near to where they allegedly placed bombs.
    The mother seems to indicate, and we have been told so by other sources that the elder brother was interviewed by the FBI, and informed the mother of what was going on. He was checked out at the time, and they decided he was not a risk to the US, probably because, even if he was allied to independence groups in Chechnya & Dagestan, their main enemy is seen as Russia. What the FBI may not have properly considered is whether the large Islamist element in the Caucasus area would consider the US a target if they had easy access to influence a US resident who was sympathetic to their cause.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shadow2009 wrote: »
    Some people donating $100. :eek: Wow.

Beautiful comments on that page.

A lot of people feel helpless after something like this, this is a way for people to feel involved and doing something worthwhile and good. :)
  • bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jzee wrote: »
    This is a conspiracy meme that is spreading round the net, the fact they haven't released images of them planting the bombs, it is likely they aren't doing so as they don't want to compromise the case. We do know the victim who had both of his legs amputated, has now stated DT was the person he saw putting the bag down in front of him, 2 minutes before it exploded.

I don't really see how you are explaining why DT was on camera robbing a 7/11, how his brother is now dead with explosion burns on his body, and how & why DT was found hiding in a boat having previously suffered gunshots wounds, hence the trail of blood into the boat.

I agree not everything is out yet, or even half of it.

He was not robbing the 7/11 though, just there, apparently.
  • yellowparkyellowpark Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am not talking about staggering. Simply look at their posture....those backpacks are light and do not contain anything heavy. I have not used a pressure cooker for a long time but I remember them as quite bulky.

I have not seen any photos of either of them walking about without a backpack. I have read it was the younger brother who was seen 'placing' the bomb.

I have ready stories of eye witnesses talking of a shoot out....but not of explosives being thrown at police. The only mention of explosives I have heard were the one's strapped to the body of the elder brother....as told by the police.

The evidence I have seen and heard appears to show conflicting evidence. As I said we will wait and see.

I do not believe in conspiraces. However, I do understand mistakes can be made when the authorities need to find those responsible for such terrible deeds and quickly.

It happened in the UK......it can happen anywhere. Let us wait and see. I will be happy to be proved wrong.

Good luck with that. :D
  • davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have not used a pressure cooker for a long time but I remember them as quite bulky.

Not too bulky to fit in a rucksack, and they only weigh about 4kg. Even once you've added explosives and shrapnel I wouldn't expect the rucksacks to look any heavier or bulkier than ones carrying a runner's change of kit and drinks/food etc.
  • skipjack79skipjack79 Posts: 3,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    egghead1 wrote: »
    The 7/7 bombers carried bombs in backpacks,they dont have to be heavy,looking at the marathon event,there wasnt a lot of damage to buildings/lamposts/fences so weren't big bombs In a pressure cooker small amount would be enough to cost injuries to people.

The devices used in Boston were essentially anti-personnel IEDs. Not particularly powerful, and won't do any significant damage to buildings or armored vehicles, but when spewing out nails, ball bearings and general shrapnel, will guarantee injuries. This is why only three people died, but the number of casualties requiring limbs amputated is in double figures. It's a common and sadly effective tactic used against our boys in Afghanistan at present. When used against women, children and random civilians wearing non-protective clothing, the results are obviously devastating..
  • Tom_TitTom_Tit Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    When I first saw the footage of the suspect with the rucksack the person on the news commented how his leg looked to be buckling. Suggesting a bit of weight.
    Personally I hope and think they have the right people but I get the impression people on here are hoping they are not. If they are right then we are well and truly screwed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Second suspect walking away without backpack:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2311471/Boston-Marathon-bomb-killer-pictured-walking-calmly-away-scene-horror.html

(there are better pix but this was the first I found)

The backpack the older man was carrying was a large backpack......easily large enough to carry a pressure cooker in. I use a backpack for carrying heavy equipment, and can carry a lot...if carefully packed. The advantage of carrying heavy things in a backpack is that you do tend to stand upright as the weight is distributed on the shoulders and, if properly adjusted, the lower back. Any fit young people can carry a remarkable amount in very large backpacks with ease.

The Independent 21 april:

The Tsarnaev brothers then hijacked a car and briefly captured a hostage before being pursued down Memorial Drive, across the Charles river from Boston, by the police. At some point during the high-speed chase, which saw the brothers return fire and throw explosives at the police, they stopped and engaged in a shootout with officers which led to Tamerlan’s death. A transit police officer was also injured in the encounter and was in surgery on Friday.
  • Kolin KlingonKolin Klingon Posts: 4,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol! A CT loon I do like that............:rolleyes:

Nothing is ever cut and dried....well rarely. Unless you want it to be.:)

Yes it can! It can be cut and dried and you have provided zero evidence to the contrary.

Typical CT nut: All talk and zero to back up anything.

Complete with cryptic meaningless soundbites.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of you guys seem to be from the Fox News school of thought. Perhaps wait for some clear cut information before being judge, jury and executioners eh?

Yes, the evidence is pretty overwhelming that these men were responsible for what happened and if so should face the consequences (albeit the remaining suspect). However only they know what their motives are. Stop making assumptions until the younger guy hopefully talks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

and that article states that another pressure cooker bomb was thrown at police during the shoot out
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it can! It can be cut and dried and you have provided zero evidence to the contrary.

Typical CT nut: All talk and zero to back up anything.

Complete with cryptic meaningless soundbites.
    Harsh but true.
This discussion has been closed.