Options

Should Melanie Sykes be sacked?

Comments

• Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So if she is sacked what job would you chose for her as you seem to be under the impression you can demand someone be sacked?

What career is suitable for a person with a history of domestic violence.

Why does sitting reading an autocue talking to someone suddenly mean that you can just be sacked if she was a hospital receptionist or on the checkout in Tesco she would not be sacked.

Again why is Kay Burley still reading the news then on Sky?
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Accepting the caution was an admission she had done wrong (she could have refused to accept it).
    Huge double standards from ITV but no surprise really, after all they suspended an actor who was later found to be completely innocent of the allegations against him, and another actor is currently suspended.What happened to the concept of being innocent until proved guilty ? And has been mentioned no charges were ever brought against John Leslie.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    So if she is sacked what job would you chose for her as you seem to be under the impression you can demand someone be sacked?

Why does sitting reading an autocue talking to someone suddenly mean that you can just be sacked if she was a hospital receptionist or on the checkout in Tesco she would not be sacked.

Is her problem what job she can go into after. But she should not be on daytime tv presenting a family show when she is a perpetrator of domestic violence by her own admission.

I don't know what kay burley has done so can't comment. We are talking about Melanie Sykes.
  • Options
    johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »

Actually, I think even non-showbiz jobs like the ones you listed can be at risk if you get a criminal conviction (and a caution means that you've admitted to doing whatever it is and now have a police record). It can also be difficult to get a job when you have previous convictions - in most job applications, you will be asked if you have criminal convictions.

I was genuinely surprised to see Mel on lunchtime TV this week. Of couse, as other posters have pointed out, the series probably was recorded a while ago, which does explain them showing it. I would hope, though, that she isn't part of the next series of Let's Do Lunch With Gino & .....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is her problem what job she can go into after. But she should not be on daytime tv presenting a family show when she is a perpetrator of domestic violence by her own admission.

I don't know what kay burley has done so can't comment. We are talking about Melanie Sykes.

I don't know what ITV's disciplinary procedures are but I would have thought she should receive a written warning at the very least,a second warning ensuring dismissal.But as the series ends on Christmas Eve ITV have presumably decided to do nothing and hope it goes away and no-one notices.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    Richard Bacon is still working for the BBC, both TV and a regular gig on Radio 5.
    The 'big fuss' in his case was the association with Blue Peter.
    I'd be very surprise if he's the only presenter to have kept on working after admitting taking drugs.
    I don't read the tabloids, TV or celeb mags, so I don't keep up with this sort of thing.

Right as an aside, it might be helpful to those viewing the thread to actually have a link, quote or something to the incident you're referring to OP.
    Might be helpful in gauging the seriousness?
    I don't know wtf she's done.

Oh and is there actually any precedent for this, has a male presenter (of similar programs) done anything similar and been sacked or suspended.

Errm, exit stage left, I think.

OK I'm out

Richard Bacon was sacked at the time http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/195947.stm
  • Options
    JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the thread titles should be: 'Should Melanie Sykes present on TV at all?', in that case the answer would be no.:D
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    I don't know what ITV's disciplinary procedures are but I would have thought she should receive a written warning at the very least,a second warning ensuring dismissal.But as the series ends on Christmas Eve ITV have presumably decided to do nothing and hope it goes away and no-one notices.

That sounds quite likely, there are normally a series of steps in any disciplinary procedure.

I suspect there are a lot of people who would not be on TV if a minor assault barred their appearance, sounds a fairly standard Saturday night for some on the trashy reality programmes.
  • Options
    WhyIsTVSoAwfulWhyIsTVSoAwful Posts: 608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Leslie Grantham murdered a guy.

Just gonna leave that there.
  • Options
    KMKYWAPKMKYWAP Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And tossed himself off on webcam while dressed as Captain Hook.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Accepting the caution was an admission she had done wrong (she could have refused to accept it).
    Huge double standards from ITV but no surprise really, after all they suspended an actor who was later found to be completely innocent of the allegations against him, and another actor is currently suspended.What happened to the concept of being innocent until proved guilty ? And has been mentioned no charges were ever brought against John Leslie.

The different being - Melanie was arrested, and dealt with. Caution.

The others you mention are suspended pending investigations. If cleared later, they get their jobs back. If guilty, they don't.

It happens in real life too. I work in social care, if an allegation is made about staff, general protocol is suspension on full pay pending investigations. It's for safeguarding purposes.

The police dealt with her. End of.
  • Options
    BanditaBandita Posts: 3,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They should both be sacked for crimes agains television. I caught today and he was like a leprechaun and crapping on about dried mind I had to turn it off. She was her usual rubbish self. That's before we get to his burglary antics and her alleged assault. (where's the shamed face smiley)?
  • Options
    tubzy2001tubzy2001 Posts: 1,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All those wanting her to be sacked are just pathetic with no lives whatsoever, grow up Tossers
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Grantham also served his time for it.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The different being - Melanie was arrested, and dealt with. Caution.

The others you mention are suspended pending investigations. If cleared later, they get their jobs back. If guilty, they don't.

It happens in real life too. I work in social care, if an allegation is made about staff, general protocol is suspension on full pay pending investigations. It's for safeguarding purposes.

The police dealt with her. End of.

Nowadays the police tend to arrest anyone they are going to question then de-arrest later.

Often people will accept a caution because they think that is the end of the matter even though it means they then have a criminal record. Many would be found not guilty if they took the court or even the charges dropped, it suits the police because it means they have a closed case which looks good in the statistics so might put pressure on the person to accept the caution.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's glaring double standards regarding this type of thing on TV, soaps for example still think it's side-splittingly funny to portray females clouting their male partners - you can only imagine the hue & cry were the roles reversed there in the name of 'comedy.'

If Melanie Sykes had been a bloke, she'd have been sacked for sure - no two ways about it.
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,549
    Forum Member
    Yep massive double standards.

This^^
  • Options
    roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,929
    Forum Member
    Yeah, this is pretty much a no-brainer.

If this isn't a nailed-on case of double-standards, then I'd like to know what is.
  • Options
    daisiesfandaisiesfan Posts: 2,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    myscimitar wrote: »
    I was amazed she is still on TV, as yes, if it had been a a man presenter, he be at least been suspended, and why is Nigella still on the BBC at the moment.

What a moronic thing to say. Seriously, what has Nigella done? Snorted a couple of lines of coke in her lifetime? I suspect there would hardly be anyone left on tv if you sacked everyone who has ever done that.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Grantham also served his time for it.
    Also not on television either as he was neither an actor or known 'personality' at that time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tubzy2001 wrote: »
    All those wanting her to be sacked are just pathetic with no lives whatsoever, grow up Tossers

Awh you sound a lovely person.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's glaring double standards regarding this type of thing on TV, soaps for example still think it's side-splittingly funny to portray females clouting their male partners - you can only imagine the hue & cry were the roles reversed there in the name of 'comedy.'

If Melanie Sykes had been a bloke, she'd have been sacked for sure - no two ways about it.
    Have to agree though it must be said female television presenters tend to get sacked for 'ageist' reasons which their male counterparts don't. I suppose the best known case (mainly because she kicked up such a public fuss about it) being Miriam O'Reilly who had her nose pushed out in favour of Julia Bradbury. Easy to see why when you look at both of them. The former was stuck in some kind of time warp whilst the latter is more 'today'.

As for physical violence, domestic or other, which is what this is all about, i've no time for it from either gender but violence from female to male somehow is still virtually taboo and brushed under the carpet. There is the hurt pride of the male feared of being seen as a wimp, whilst the female perpetrator is held up as some kind of misunderstood 'wronged' woman who has a 'difficult' husband.
  • Options
    Daisy_DukeDaisy_Duke Posts: 1,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are definitely double standards when it comes to assault between men and women. Just this week a Facebook friend of mine -was joking about the amount of fun she'd had "beating the crap out of" her husband and offering him out to other women for them to vent their frustrations on - ok, this was in the context of a boxer-cise club, but I can't imagine many people laughing had it been her husband talking about "beating the crap out of" her.

I don't find any such jokes funny at all.
  • Options
    LolaSveltLolaSvelt Posts: 2,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tubzy2001 wrote: »

I don't think it's the fact that people want her to get sacked as a form of punishment. It's the double standards.
  • Options
    JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Melanie Sykes had been a bloke.

Are you 100% sure she isn't though?