Options

Pasta portions

Lucozade76Lucozade76 Posts: 131
Forum Member
I know to service regular pasta's or rice it's usually a handful person and maybe a handful or two for the pot.

Any tips on how to measure portions per person of spaghetti? :p <---- spaghetti slurper.

Comments

• Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Lucozade76 wrote: »
    Any tips on how to measure portions per person of spaghetti? :p <---- spaghetti slurper.
    A handfull the diameter of 10p
  • Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    rice - half a mug full per person (pre cooked)
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Rice - 1/3 cup (measuring cup) for me.
  • Options
    SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cook 3 ozs / 75gm approx. per person, which I weigh out. I always make plenty because you have enough for seconds, plus any pasta or rice not plated up can be cooled, put in the fridge and turned into something else the next day.
  • Options
    LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    I always end up with far too much or far too little.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,856
    Forum Member
    I always weigh mine too, do it in the clean pan before you start and then set it aside till the water's ready. I did see a handy wee tool I debated on getting in Asda today though, it was like a large bottle opener and had 3 different size holes to measure various portions of spaghetti.
  • Options
    henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to measure 100 grams for pasta and rice.

I now just overcook and eat the next day.
  • Options
    ScottishPancakeScottishPancake Posts: 1,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always end up with far too much or far too little.

You could always send me the excess pasta in the post. :p
  • Options
    Lucozade76Lucozade76 Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    It's actually just spaghetti portions I'd like to suss out.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,246
    Forum Member
    I'm a weigher myself, but you can use something like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Slam-Design-Spaghetti-Cheese-Measurer/dp/B007IXUKH0

They come in all kinds of styles from the silly as above, to some that are like mini works of art. Handy.
  • Options
    luckylilaluckylila Posts: 3,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to measure 100 grams for pasta and rice.

I now just overcook and eat the next day.

Me too. I love a bit of cold spag! :blush:

I do have one of those spag measuring tools with the holes in though, and it's pretty useful if you want to get it right.
  • Options
    floozie_21floozie_21 Posts: 3,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another weigher here. I tend to go for 75g of spaghetti per person or 100g if it's pasta.

I buy microwave- packets of rice cos I've never been able to cook it!
  • Options
    indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always weigh mine. 75g is a standard portion, or 100g if you are hungry!
  • Options
    henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    floozie_21 wrote: »
    Another weigher here. I tend to go for 75g of spaghetti per person or 100g if it's pasta.

Microwave proper rice is easy peasy.

Boil water in kettle

wash rice in a sieve to remove starch

washed rice and boiling water in large plastic or glass bowl covered in microwave at for 8 to 10 mins depending on the rice and cooker - experiment starting with less time. It is easy to cook for another 2 or 3 mins again.

Rinse rice under cold water in a collander to remove more starch

return rice to bowl and microwave for 5 mins to dry and finish off.

Done and Dine.

I use Aldi Everyday rice for 49p/kilo and Basmati Rice at £1 a kilo occasionally.
  • Options
    andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    Any kitchen scales
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    You can buy a plastic thingy with different size round holes in.

Say you choose the '1 portion' hole, you put the spaghetti in and if it doesn't fit there's too much, take put out a few strands, and try again.
    Here's an example:

http://www.hartsofstur.com/acatalog/Master-Class-Stainless-Steel-Spaghetti-Measurer-MCSPAGMSS.html?gclid=CI3Lj-HMq7wCFYYBwwodTXkAkw
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I reckon that's a: "how long is a piece of spaghetti" question.

Weigh out what seems like an ample portion, then adjust it later after cooking and eating.

Pasta is one of those foods that swells rather than shrinks, and it's easy to cook too much. But once you have a benchmark, you can adjust the weight either way according to individual appetites.
  • Options
    floozie_21floozie_21 Posts: 3,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Microwave proper rice is easy peasy.

Boil water in kettle

wash rice in a sieve to remove starch

washed rice and boiling water in large plastic or glass bowl covered in microwave at for 8 to 10 mins depending on the rice and cooker - experiment starting with less time. It is easy to cook for another 2 or 3 mins again.

Rinse rice under cold water in a collander to remove more starch

return rice to bowl and microwave for 5 mins to dry and finish off.

Done and Dine.

I use Aldi Everyday rice for 49p/kilo and Basmati Rice at £1 a kilo occasionally.

Hmmm...think I'll stick to my 2 minute microwave-in-a-bag rice! Thanks though :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    A handfull the diameter of 10p

I'd say this per person or a little more if you are a bit of a pig like me. :blush:
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,964
    Forum Member
    floozie_21 wrote: »

Spaghetti and pasta are the same thing.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,964
    Forum Member
    Depends what your appetite is like. For most pasta dishes I go with 125g per person but that gives you a fairly massive portion.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Depends what your appetite is like. For most pasta dishes I go with 125g per person but that gives you a fairly massive portion.

that would bloat ones tummy up :(

if your watching your weight and stuff best just have a little bit ..snap in half and boil ..pasta bloats you up ..unless you get the wheat and gluton free type
  • Options
    ScottishPancakeScottishPancake Posts: 1,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    that would bloat ones tummy up :(

if your watching your weight and stuff best just have a little bit ..snap in half and boil ..pasta bloats you up ..unless you get the wheat and gluton free type
    Pasta rarely makes me feel bloated these days, no matter how much I have of it!
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Specktater wrote: »
    I always weigh mine too, do it in the clean pan before you start and then set it aside till the water's ready. I did see a handy wee tool I debated on getting in Asda today though, it was like a large bottle opener and had 3 different size holes to measure various portions of spaghetti.
    I have one.
    The "bottle opener" similarity is a hook shape that's used for pulling out a strand of spaghetti to taste for texture rather than just guess the cooking time - very useful.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    You can buy a plastic thingy with different size round holes in.

Say you choose the '1 portion' hole, you put the spaghetti in and if it doesn't fit there's too much, take put out a few strands, and try again.
    Here's an example:

http://www.hartsofstur.com/acatalog/Master-Class-Stainless-Steel-Spaghetti-Measurer-MCSPAGMSS.html?gclid=CI3Lj-HMq7wCFYYBwwodTXkAkw
    Nurses can get those in cardboard.
    They're used for gauging appendages when fitting catheters.
    :)