The Tennis Thread (Part 27)

Comments

• smudesmude Posts: 17,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have read the money's being given to the Serbian floods foundation and his own Novak Djokovic foundation, so he's not benefited from selling his pics. I guess by giving official photos there is less chance of them being given to unofficial media outlets and at least they can monitor how they are used.
    Fair enough. That seems a sensible decision then.
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone know when Heather is playing next? Didn't last that long at Wimbledon, thought she might try to hoover up points in these weakish Tournaments.

I see Konta has qualified for the main draw in Istanbul.
  • RevengaRevenga Posts: 11,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have read the money's being given to the Serbian floods foundation and his own Novak Djokovic foundation, so he's not benefited from selling his pics. I guess by giving official photos there is less chance of them being given to unofficial media outlets and at least they can monitor how they are used.

Yes :)

The NDF will use the money to help rebuild and reequip schools damaged during the Balkan floods.
  • *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes, it makes sense. It's not as if they are a particularly private couple, and doing a deal with one magazine lets fans see the photos, while maintaining a certain amount of control, with the bonus of money and a bit of publicity for an important cause. Novak (and Jelena) both seem quite extrovert, and comfortable with attention, but I think they are both media savvy enough to avoid being pressured into doing anything they weren't comfortable with.

Good luck to them both (plus one). :D
  • ElCantoDelLocoElCantoDelLoco Posts: 6,637
    Forum Member
    tally wrote: »
    :) YEAH Chloe I think you and I are the only Leyton fans on here. Sadly I think he's going to announce his retirement after the Aus Open. :cry:

My very best wishes to Victoria also.
    I'm a fan too :)
    O/T and strictly for fans of my Raffa, not the human one, I'm getting a motability scooter and am thinking of putting him in a pouch in the front. What do you think to Raffa the Rocker if I get him this ha2_zps4e5c69e3.png .....I think I'm only kidding but everyone would know him wouldn't they? :blush: :cool:
    I think he would look fabulous - you could go more for a headband and sleeveless top like his namesake though! :p
    tally wrote: »
    :o:D Blimey, Fed would have a meltdown if he heard that!

Nope I liked him from the start unlike Connors who I cant stand to this day.

Sadly I can find no mitigating circumstances for that. It's the one blight on his career. It was probably said as he was only 20 and his desire to win was the only thing that mattered. It doesn't excuse him though. Did James Blake ever forgive him ? I cant remember. :confused:
    I'd agree with that - I think you can not like the action but on the whole like the person (as long as they don't repeat it of course)
    Seen pics on the internet of Djokovic and Jelena's wedding. The both look lovely. Bit of a cheesy front cover in hello mag with the love heart over Jelena's bump but her dress is lovely and the idyllic setting for the wedding makes it special. They both look very loved up. What a week for Nole. Wimbledon win on Sunday and then marries his childhood sweetheart a few days later. Looks like postponing was a good idea. Now they can look forward to their baby.
    They look lovely, congrats to them both :)
  • guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know when Heather is playing next? Didn't last that long at Wimbledon, thought she might try to hoover up points in these weakish Tournaments.

I see Konta has qualified for the main draw in Istanbul.

Baku next week (she should be the 8th seed,) then Washington, most likely followed by qualifying in Montreal and Cincinnati. She probably wanted a bit of a rest given how much she played in May and then going straight onto grass.

It'll be interesting to see how Konta does in Istanbul, her draw doesn't look to too difficult, she should get past Nara easily at least given their h2h. (Watch Nara win now. :blush:)
  • basdfgbasdfg Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    Tennis is back on tv Tomorrow on BT sport with coverage of the tournament in Sweden.
  • shortiefluffshortiefluff Posts: 3,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They look lovely, congrats to them both :)

They do look lovely don't they?

This will inevitably put pressure on Rafa and Andy now as 2 of the so-called big 4 are now married with kids. The British media will pressurise Andy to propose. They were even taking bets on who out of him and Grigor would propose after the Wimbledon match first. With Novak being the same age as Andy (well 1 wk younger) it will probably be awful for him. Rafa will get it too. He's a year older and seems to have no intention of marrying yet. From what I've heard, he wants to wait until his career is over but with Novak and Roger married men with kids then the pressure will be huge for both now I'm sure.
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Baku next week (she should be the 8th seed,) then Washington, most likely followed by qualifying in Montreal and Cincinnati. She probably wanted a bit of a rest given how much she played in April and then going straight onto grass.

It'll be interesting to see how Konta does in Istanbul, her draw doesn't look to too difficult, she should get past Nara easily at least given their h2h. (Watch Nara win now. :blush:)

Yeah, well that's not too bad. With her injury/illness problems I worry if she's not on court for awhile.

What the Hell is Vekic wearing in Istanbul, it's making my eyes hurt.
  • Jenny1986Jenny1986 Posts: 16,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lovely pictures of Novak and Jelena, they look so happy. Putting the pictures in OK is a good idea all round really. The money is going to a great cause after all. I can see Novak getting into politics of some sort after he retires. If Arnie could be the Governor of California anything can happen.
  • chloedancerchloedancer Posts: 6,486
    Forum Member
    delighted for Lleyton.to win the singles and doubles of the same tournament,both within a few hours is pretty special.:p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The British media will pressurise Andy to propose.

Will? Future tense?
    From what I've heard, he wants to wait until his career is over but with Novak and Roger married men with kids then the pressure will be huge for both now I'm sure.

I think that's the case for Andy too. I think he's said something about the responsibility of it and life on the road. It's easier with dogs! :D

To be fair, Roger only married Mirka because she was pregnant. I believe Novak and Jelena were already engaged before she became pregnant, but no date had been made public, so it's hard to tell if they moved the wedding forward.

It's also worth remembering that Rafa and Andy's parents are divorced, which they've both said hit them hard. Although I have some vague notion that Rafa's parents reconciled. Roger and Novak's parents are still together, and that sort of thing makes a huge difference.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :) Just been looking at the few pics of Nole's wedding online.
    Blimey, he scrubs up well doesn't he? He was always a bit hunky but both of them looked amazing.
    I wish them all the very best. Nole has done so much to rehabilitate Serbia after the dreadful atrocities of the nineties. Not that that should be his remit, but I admire him for it.
  • shortiefluffshortiefluff Posts: 3,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Sparkle* wrote: »
    Will? Future tense?

I think that's the case for Andy too. I think he's said something about the responsibility of it and life on the road. It's easier with dogs! :D

To be fair, Roger only married Mirka because she was pregnant. I believe Novak and Jelena were already engaged before she became pregnant, but no date had been made public, so it's hard to tell if they moved the wedding forward.

It's also worth remembering that Rafa and Andy's parents are divorced, which they've both said hit them hard. Although I have some vague notion that Rafa's parents reconciled. Roger and Novak's parents are still together, and that sort of thing makes a huge difference.

Probably. Rafa's parent's divorce hurt him a lot that he actually blamed that on his Soderling loss at the French, although it wasn't an excuse, rather than the knee injury. Andy's parents divorced when he was very young that he's probably mentally scarred.
    Forum Member
    Will? Future tense?

I've thinking that, they seem to be sitting together again and I think I read something which implied they were together - sorry non tennis tittle-tattle! :p:blush:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've thinking that, they seem to be sitting together again and I think I read something which implied they were together - sorry non tennis tittle-tattle! :p:blush:

This is what happens after Wimbledon, I'm looking forward to the US swing, hard is my least favourite surface but I'm getting withdrawls.

Also I think your right, I'm sure I read that his parents are back together, I don't know if they actually divorced or just seperated though.
  • lyn2lyn2 Posts: 2,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jenny1986 wrote: »
    This is what happens after Wimbledon, I'm looking forward to the US swing, hard is my least favourite surface but I'm getting withdrawls.

Also I think your right, I'm sure I read that his parents are back together, I don't know if they actually divorced or just seperated though.

:o You have a way with words Jenny. ;-)
  • lola14lola14 Posts: 3,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I didn't think Rafa`s parents, were back together!! I read that they got on better now they were divorced, than they had for years, when they were together. I do agree that Rafa was very upset when they split.
  • ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will? Future tense?

I don't know if Roger only married her because she was pregnant - how can you assume that unless he's said it himself? For all we know, the babies and wedding were planned.

Also Mirka is a couple of years older than Roger whereas the other 3 tennis "wives" are younger or the same age as their partner? Roger is still not retired so if they had waited to have babies it would have been a bit problematic as she's in her mid 30s now.

There were always rumours that Pete Sampras's long term girlfriend Delana Mulcahy who was quite a bit older than him gave him a marriage ultimatum but he wasn't ready to settle down in his mid 20s so it led to their break up. All unconfirmed of course as he makes no mention of her at all in his autobiography!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shappy wrote: »
    I don't know if Roger only married her because she was pregnant - how can you assume that unless he's said it himself? For all we know, the babies and wedding were planned.

Also Mirka is a couple of years older than Roger whereas the other 3 tennis "wives" are younger or the same age as their partner? Roger is still not retired so if they had waited to have babies it would have been a bit problematic as she's in her mid 30s now.

It's impossible to be sure, but Mirka wasn't that old, and Federer is supposed to be a good Catholic, so if babies and a wedding were planned, they'd have done the wedding first. I do know a couple of couples who decided to 'get pregnant' at the same time they decided to get married, but it's rare.

Obviously, they had been together a while, so the decision to get married once she was pregnant was probably fairly easy. There's not much point in waiting until after your career for the wedding if you are already raising a family.

Anyway, the point is that the circumstances were different. There were babies on the way, whether they were planned or not. I've read both Murray and Nadal say they'd rather wait until they have more time to dedicate to a family before they start a family. I'm sure that would change if a family came along, as seems to have happened for the Federers, but I don't think it will happen just because the press point out that the others have wives and babies.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lola14 wrote: »
    I didn't think Rafa`s parents, were back together!! I read that they got on better now they were divorced, than they had for years, when they were together. I do agree that Rafa was very upset when they split.

There was an interview in the Mail in 2012 with Rafa and he said they are back together, I looked it up.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-2159189/Wimbledon-2012s-Rafael-Nadal-Why-I-win-Wimbledon-Andy-Murray-end-Grand-Slam-jinx.html

It's just over half way down under a picture of Novak.
  • lola14lola14 Posts: 3,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was an interview in the Mail in 2012 with Rafa and he said they are back together, I looked it up.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-2159189/Wimbledon-2012s-Rafael-Nadal-Why-I-win-Wimbledon-Andy-Murray-end-Grand-Slam-jinx.html

Thank-you, what a lovely article, I hadn't seen that before. I stand corrected :):)
  • guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    Despite what I said yesterday Nara is up 6-2 4-0 on Konta. :( Apparently no one beats Kurumi Nara six times in a row.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,062
    Forum Member
    ashtray88 wrote: »
    He ate the grass because he's secretly a goat. :)

There was a tweet going round at the time that read "don't eat the grass, Novak. You may have won Wimbledon but you are NOT the GOAT" :)
    Forum Member

Thanks - I'm sure we're going to get heaped with abuse now for being Rafa fangirls but these details are important :p:D
This discussion has been closed.