Why are Vinyl/Records popular again?

OvertheUnderOvertheUnder Posts: 4,764
Forum Member
✭✭✭
There has been a document increase in Vinyl/Record sales. As a collector I can see the appeal but I still don't understand why it's having such a massive resurgence?

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Comments

• artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe people are appreciating the better sound quality of Vinyl? Possibly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could be people just wanting to use their record players. Or maybe nostalgia. Probably the former.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,432
    Forum Member
    There has been a document increase in Vinyl/Record sales. As a collector I can see the appeal but I still don't understand why it's having such a massive resurgence?

It's not, it's just a tiny, tiny 'resurgence', someone recently posted a graph of relative sales, and records was a thin barely visible slice of green.

Downloads were higher than CD's though.

Perhaps people just want lower quality?, but I presume it's purely for nostalgia reasons - I've still got my deck and albums (in the attic), but I wouldn't dream of getting them out
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've recently dug out my old albums, and played a few. It was great to feel a proper album, and hear vinyl again. Maybe it was the nostalgia factor that made it feel better, but it is so much easier to stick a cd on.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It`s not having a "massive" resurgence. Sales are a fraction of a percent as part of all music buying. It`s the Hoxton trendies, coverage in style-wank mags and independent record stores that have done a bang-up job of making it seem like vinyl is mounting a comeback. It isn`t and it`s only really graphic designers, anal collectors and self-aggrandising recording artistes that are getting a hard-on for it all over again. I speak as someone with thousands of records so I`ve no interest in doing-down the format.

Apparently the Japanese are fanatical vinyl buyers. I recall someone in the biz telling me a decade ago that vast quantities of old records were leaving the UK bound for Japan. No idea if it`s true or not but it had the ring of authenticity to it.
  • shankly123shankly123 Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nostalgia mostly and the fact that the artwork is better on vinyl? Some people will say that sound quality is better on vinyl, but the vast majority of people can't tell the difference and tests have been pretty inconclusive

http://www.thephysicsmill.com/2013/01/06/sound-vinyl-records-vs-digital-files/

http://louderthanwar.com/vinyl-or-digital-whats-the-best-format-and-does-vinyl-sound-better/

Most people can't even tell the difference between mp3s sampled at 320 and lossless recordings, so it seems unlikely that there is an appreciable difference in the sound of vinyl compared to digital - there is more variation in the quality of the equipment used to play it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,126
    Forum Member
    I'v read a few articles on this subject.....a number of factors apparently....Older buyers being a tad nostalgic....Younger buyers appreciating the whole vinyl scene so to speak...artwork,listening to a whole album rather than picking snippets or pressing repeat as so often happens with digital formats....plus many vinyl records now come with a download code so you can also access the album digitally.....and listen on the go......and last but not least the 12" album cover is perfect for rolling joints on:D:o Lol

Should have added....when you buy a hard copy you actually own it...and can pass it on to whoever you like...unlike downloads(re Bruce Willis's test case against Apple ).....something which is finally beginning to dawn on young and older buyers alike
  • uniqueunique Posts: 12,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

there's been a lot of stuff in the media lately about vinly being cool and lots of people are easily persuaded by what they read and want to be cool so they go and buy it

the "massive resurgence" is simply down to sales going from being close to pee-all to being small. a bit like when you read reports that say sales of an album have shot up 4000% since someone died or a track appeared on telly. that just really means that last month 4 people bought the album and this week 640 people did (or whatever the sums are).

a lot of people waffle on about how great the sound is when actually they are just hearing in most cases less high end, more bottom end, muddy mids and considering that a "warmer" sound and perhaps preferring it. most people playing vinly now will have crap setups as few people have decent money to invest in a good turntable and amp setup to fully get the best out of the vinly

one other reason is the knock on effect. I've bought more records in the last couple of years than I had in the previous 10 years simply because more items have became available. I do have 3 turntables though, two of which are in a dj setup, but I haven't actually played most of what I bought as I had them on cd already, and don't have any intention of playing vinyl I have on cd unless I want to dj on vinyl for nostalgia reasons. I'm sure there will be other collectors doing the same. I know a few who collect records who don't even have a turntable. but then they will also collect laserdiscs and other stuff they can't play
  • uniqueunique Posts: 12,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'v read a few articles on this subject.....a number of factors apparently....Older buyers being a tad nostalgic....Younger buyers appreciating the whole vinyl scene so to speak...artwork,listening to a whole album rather than picking snippets or pressing repeat as so often happens with digital formats....plus many vinyl records now come with a download code so you can also access the album digitally.....and listen on the go......and last but not least the 12" album cover is perfect for rolling joints on:D:o Lol

Should have added....when you buy a hard copy you actually own it...and can pass it on to whoever you like...unlike downloads(re Bruce Willis's test case against Apple ).....something which is finally beginning to dawn on young and older buyers alike

the bruce willis story was just made up and not true. with digital it's easier to pass stuff on as you can simply copy stuff from one HDD to another or burn to a disc
  • rbdcayrbdcay Posts: 12,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hipsters...
    Forum Member
    unique wrote: »
    the bruce willis story was just made up and not true. with digital it's easier to pass stuff on as you can simply copy stuff from one HDD to another or burn to a disc

Cheers...still can't roll a joint on a series of 0 and 1 though:)....must admit I'v kept all my old records....and yes I'am nostalgic and would never sell them....nevertheless I have't played one for 20-25yrs despite keeping my old turntable....never downloaded a single music track in my life...although I continue to buy CD's....personally I just prefer owning the hard copy which I can then upload onto my computer and transfer to an MP3/portable hard drive for convenience.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    unique wrote: »

It's much easier as long as the stuff you are passing on isn't riddled with DRM.

Thankfully very little modern music downloads have DRM to worry about these days, shame the other media industries are still so blinkered though and stuck in the 20th century.
  • shankly123shankly123 Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've still got my old vinyl, although I no longer have a functioning turntable - I've taken to mounting and displaying the albums and sleeves.
    My ears aren't keen enough to tell the difference in formats these days - a youth spent at Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin concerts perhaps, although I doubt there is much difference to be heard on all but the most esoteric of setups. The convenience of digital is more important to me.
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've recently dug out my old albums, and played a few. It was great to feel a proper album, and hear vinyl again. Maybe it was the nostalgia factor that made it feel better, but it is so much easier to stick a cd on.
    BIB is the main reason. The physical feel of holding something you've paid for which you cannot get from any download......ever.

Also just look at the amazing artwork on some albums. Once again, you won't get that from a download.

The audio side is well known. As an example i remember selling all my old mono Beatles LP's and buying the same in stereo. They were awful, because originally the early ones were recorded in mono only. I soon changed back and bought the mono recordings.
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    BIB is the main reason. The physical feel of holding something you've paid for which you cannot get from any download......ever.

Also just look at the amazing artwork on some albums. Once again, you won't get that from a download.

The audio side is well known. As an example i remember selling all my old mono Beatles LP's and buying the same in stereo. They were awful, because originally the early ones were recorded in mono only. I soon changed back and bought the mono recordings.

And if you've ever appeared on a vanyl album, you can show that off to people, assuming your picture's on the sleeve.
    Try doing that with a download, "look at my iPod, that's me!".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Album covers were something taken very seriously in the 60's and 70s, I agree. People like Yes, and the Moody Blues had some real masterpieces. It's not worth the effort for a cd cover, and as for downloads, non existent.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    And if you've ever appeared on a vanyl album, you can show that off to people....

Or designed them - Loads of `em and had them mentioned in reviews of the music, much to the irritation of the recording artistes! :D
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Album covers were something taken very seriously in the 60's and 70s, I agree. People like Yes, and the Moody Blues had some real masterpieces. It's not worth the effort for a cd cover, and as for downloads, non existent.
    This is a classic example..... which you will recognise instantly. But look carefully and you will see it's not flat and neither is it a photo of the album cover.

I had it hand painted by a professional pottery artist on to a plate some 30 odd years ago.

Any "Bat" fans want to make me an offer, this unique 'one off' is up for sale. :)
    Forum Member

The Album artwork appeared to just as important as the music to many Artists.....in fact thinking about it....there are very few classic CD covers...I can think of a few.....but there are countless classic Vinyl covers....When I bought an album I'd spend ages studying every detail of the artwork..cover /inner sleeve etc.etc....and a double album was manner from heaven:)
    Forum Member
    This is a classic example..... which you will recognise instantly. But look carefully and you will see it's not flat and neither is it a photo of the album cover.

I had it hand painted by a professional pottery artist on to a plate some 30 odd years ago.

Any "Bat" fans want to make me an offer, this unique 'one off' is up for sale. :)

I well remember the day I bought the album....if I hear any song from it now I'am instantly transported back I time.....just thinking about it freaks me a little....such a long time ago.:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Very good, and instantly recognisable, as many album covers were. CD covers just don't have any impact.

Dark Side of the Moon doesn't feature the band, or their name, but everyone knows what it is.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Album artwork appeared to just as important as the music to many Artists.....in fact thinking about it....there are very few classic CD covers...I can think of a few.....but there are countless classic Vinyl covers....When I bought an album I'd spend ages studying every detail of the artwork..cover /inner sleeve etc.etc....and a double album was manner from heaven:)

I agree. You just have to look at how much time The Beatles spent on the Sgt Pepper cover, and all these other great ones came out around that time too, and continued until Cds took over.

The Beatles got the cover importance down to a fine art, and after all the pomp of Sgt Pepper, their next album was just a plain white cover, which had it's own impact, and has been forever known as The White Album. They then did the famous Abbey Road cover, which to this day stacks of people try to recreate when visiting Abbey Road.
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Straker wrote: »
    Or designed them - Loads of `em and had them mentioned in reviews of the music, much to the irritation of the recording artistes! :D

I suspect you've done a few!
  • A321A321 Posts: 6,363
    Forum Member
    You've not lived until you've experienced sitting in front of some massive speakers while someone carefully puts on 'Thick as a Brick' by Jethro Tull or 'Larks Eyes in Aspic' by King Crimson, while you sit there in revered silence. :D

The only problem with records is that you have to turn them over!
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    It`s not having a "massive" resurgence. Sales are a fraction of a percent as part of all music buying. It`s the Hoxton trendies, coverage in style-wank mags and independent record stores that have done a bang-up job of making it seem like vinyl is mounting a comeback. It isn`t and it`s only really graphic designers, anal collectors and self-aggrandising recording artistes that are getting a hard-on for it all over again. I speak as someone with thousands of records so I`ve no interest in doing-down the format.

Apparently the Japanese are fanatical vinyl buyers. I recall someone in the biz telling me a decade ago that vast quantities of old records were leaving the UK bound for Japan. No idea if it`s true or not but it had the ring of authenticity to it.

Whilst you might have no interest in "doing-down" the format you are remarkably quick to slate those who enjoy vinyl......

Over all music sales have been falling for a number of years now. This has partly been off-set by digital sales but the over all trend is downwards. for that reason alone the record industry are bound to "big up" a format that is actually increasing sales.

According to the BPI sales this year are on target to reach a 20-year high, that is bound to be reported as significant, despite it being a low total in context of overall sales.

The eight tribes of vinyl collector.

Personally I never stopped buying vinyl, and I never threw my collection away. Much of what I have has never been released on CD.

I simply can't understand why vinyl, and those who enjoy it, get peoples hackles up so much.

Each to their own.