I think we should stop picking and choosing which twists to support

FuddFudd Posts: 166,867
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭✭
I think we should either support every twist which makes the game interesting (I think that's how production sees it) or deride the lot - not praise them when one of our favourites gets a boost but blast them when the 'lesser liked' Housemates gets an opportunity. We're just coming across as hypocritical and why would production listen to a group who supports their stance some of the time but blasts them at other times when they're doing the same thing?

Comments

• WarpWarp Posts: 2,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like any of the twists but if we have to put up with them I'd rather that were dealt out evenly.
  • dylanpartyondylanpartyon Posts: 11,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah I do think people are quick to jump on a twist if it affects their favourites negatively. But that is kinda expected. I don't like a couple of the twists, but I get over it. And with this twist, I just find it rather boring, and unoriginal compared to some of their other ones....
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    Not going to happen.

People in general here, as everywhere else, ARE hypocritical and what's worse is they try to disguise their hypocrisy with lies about how they like fair play and strong ethics.
  • gcmacgcmac Posts: 4,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like the twists that are unfair. This one is unfair since Ashleigh has been told she was immune and was voted into that position by the public, it shouldn't matter if it was a free vote or paid for, it now basically means her fans put her in this position, although obviously unintentionally.

I also didn't support the twists which meant Marlon and Danielle left without a public vote. I didn't really like Marlon and wanted him to be one of the next out, but he should have gone up for a public vote and been evicted that way.

I'm really disappointed that they have done this most recent twist. Ash saved and Helen keeps her best pal. I don't think any of the twists, as far as I can remember, have impacted negatively on Helen.
  • Anya DAnya D Posts: 14,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It sounds ridiculous as adults to complain about things not being fair, but I really think a lot of the complains do stem from how unfair events in the house have been this season.

It stems right back to the very first night when they chose to have people enter over two nights, knowing that they planned a PHM would award a pass.
    The PHM couldn't get it and it was pretty obvious anyone coming in on day 2 wasn't getting it.
    It's really just got worse from then on.
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Warp wrote: »
    I don't like any of the twists but if we have to put up with them I'd rather that were dealt out evenly.

Well this one is pretty even - Toya suffered it, now Ashleigh is suffering from it. ;)

In all seriousness I get your point but Ash has been up for eviction three times this series (Chris' PHM week, Power Couple week and Girl Power week) thanks to twists whereas Ashleigh has only been up twice (a relatively straightforward round in week 5 and this week). If this series had been 'normal' she would have been up more.
    Yeah I do think people are quick to jump on a twist if it affects their favourites negatively. But that is kinda expected. I don't like a couple of the twists, but I get over it. And with this twist, I just find it rather boring, and unoriginal compared to some of their other ones....

Fair point and I'm not sure what happened to the 'greatest power ever' that this week's Power Housemate was going to get.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    gcmac wrote: »
    I don't like the twists that are unfair. This one is unfair since Ashleigh has been told she was immune and was voted into that position by the public, it shouldn't matter if it was a free vote or paid for, it now basically means her fans put her in this position, although obviously unintentionally.

I also didn't support the twists which meant Marlon and Danielle left without a public vote. I didn't really like Marlon and wanted him to be one of the next out, but he should have gone up for a public vote and been evicted that way.

I'm really disappointed that they have done this most recent twist. Ash saved and Helen keeps her best pal. I don't think any of the twists, as far as I can remember, have impacted negatively on Helen.

I agree but then all twists (bar, I would argue, 'all up for eviction' as it puts everyone in the same boat... unless a popular Housemate in the House is hated on the outside) have a positive impact on someone and a negative impact on someone - that's the point of them. You could argue that Ashleigh getting the Power Housemate role via a shady app vote was unfair considering it was lightly promoted and open to only a few member of the public rather than the entirety and, in turn, this selective vote resulted in a negative twist for the likes of Ash and Steven. Today saw a positive twist for them, levelling it out.

Helen is the thorn in this argument as she has never-ending protection, of course. But I think the negative side of the 'save' twist will be revealed eventually, once Big Brother has no further use for her.
  • SegaGamerSegaGamer Posts: 29,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    I agree but then all twists (bar, I would argue, 'all up for eviction' as it puts everyone in the same boat... unless a popular Housemate in the House is hated on the outside) have a positive impact on someone and a negative impact on someone - that's the point of them. You could argue that Ashleigh getting the Power Housemate role via a shady app vote was unfair considering it was lightly promoted and open to only a few member of the public rather than the entirety and, in turn, this selective vote resulted in a negative twist for the likes of Ash and Steven. Today saw a positive twist for them, levelling it out.

Helen is the thorn in this argument as she has never-ending protection, of course. But I think the negative side of the 'save' twist will be revealed eventually, once Big Brother has no further use for her.

I agree. I hate all twists like this that is why i don't support any of them.
  • GalacticusGalacticus Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think we should either support every twist which makes the game interesting (I think that's how production sees it) or deride the lot - not praise them when one of our favourites gets a boost but blast them when the 'lesser liked' Housemates gets an opportunity. We're just coming across as hypocritical and why would production listen to a group who supports their stance some of the time but blasts them at other times when they're doing the same thing?

Stripping away the 'partisan' reaction to twists, there remains a strong sense that the constant twisting has made the show messy, incoherent and structureless. For twists to have impact, they need to be fewer and further between than the weekly occurence we have seen in this series. They also need to have subtlety rather than these crude reversals of fate which we have seen lately.

For example, the power housemate theme, while a potentially good idea, has been woefully mismanaged lately. When Chris was ph, while there were suspicions and some found out about it, there was nothing concrete and nothing certain which maintained a mystery element. In this latest twist, they were all told they would be immune, and this was crudely reversed, their 'power nominations put in the hands of the nominees, and the phs revealed..this 'grand' denouement essentially flopped by dissipating the 'energy' it had created and all interest with it. Also for the hms, when Chris was ph, it was a poison chalice but in a way that was subtle and long lasting; it has now become an obvious poison chalice which no-one will want..which was never the point.

Brand definition is important and, with the continuous crude twists, is being lost - we are not far off the point where viewers will no longer relate to the show as Big Brother, and not really understand what show they are watching.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,824
    Forum Member
    Galacticus wrote: »
    Stripping away the 'partisan' reaction to twists, there remains a strong sense that the constant twisting has made the show messy, incoherent and structureless. For twists to have impact, they need to be fewer and further between than the weekly occurence we have seen in this series. They also need to have subtlety rather than these crude reversals of fate which we have seen lately.

For example, the power housemate theme, while a potentially good idea, has been woefully mismanaged lately. When Chris was ph, while there were suspicions and some found out about it, there was nothing concrete and nothing certain which maintained a mystery element. In this latest twist, they were all told they would be immune, and this was crudely reversed, their 'power nominations put in the hands of the nominees, and the phs revealed..this 'grand' denouement essentially flopped by dissipating the 'energy' it had created and all interest with it. Also for the hms, when Chris was ph, it was a poison chalice but in a way that was subtle and long lasting; it has now become an obvious poison chalice which no-one will want..which was never the point.

Brand definition is important and, with the continuous crude twists, is being lost - we are not far off the point where viewers will no longer relate to the show as Big Brother, and not really understand what show they are watching.

I think that boat set sail a while back.

There was a nice simplicity to the structure, where we all knew what day nominations would take place, would spend the rest of the day speculating who would be up and late in the evening, once the first editions of the newspapers were out, scanning for any leaked results. Then the next day the nominations would be announced. And that was that. Speculation moved on to who would leave.

None of this was boring - it was the entire basis for the show.

Of all the things to try and fix, the nominations process was the least broken element of BB.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Galacticus wrote: »

I guess I agree with this to a point but I think they had to be consistent with how the Power Housemate was chosen - they've been making that up as much as anything else. Pauline was voted for by the app, as was Ashleigh this time around (though Pauline's vote was an obvious vote for PHM while Ashleigh's was a 'what if' scenario). I think Chris was also voted by the public. However, Toya was chosen by the Housemates and Matthew was picked by her as a second Power Housemate (like Mark and Chris were chosen by Ashleigh this week) and the female Housemates were then gifted the power by Big Brother. In week 6, Housemates were given the Power just because they were new. The Power Housemate twist may have worked but only if they chose a method of choosing the Power Housemate and stuck to it.
  • sheff71sheff71 Posts: 8,006
    Forum Member
    The thing with the twists is that it opens bb up to these accusations of deliberate bias to save or keep a particular hm. I think the majority of viewers would much prefer just to see the hms vote as normal every week, and see the dynamics of the house play out naturally. Also stop revealing who has voted, or letting some hms see clips of others, to give a false impression of who is gossiping etc... Or if you are going to show secret comments, do it for all hms and not just a a select few.

It is astonishing how bb have made Helen impregnable, and in turn encouraged her brattish behaviour, while happily changing the rules on immunity for others, to protect their favoured result. It makes you wonder if the intention is that Helen is actually immune not just to the final, but all the way to victory, and you would only be voting for 2nd place...
  • atkoatko Posts: 4,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree! I think BB though are trying to say to us, look....we can give the power to the public, we can give the power to the housemates but ultimately you WILL pay the price because you cannot beat BB, the whole purpose of the BB concept is that BB has & always has had the power!!

This series you are not allowed a game plan....ALL game plans have been exposed by BB & THAT is why so many peoples favorites have been continuously exposed. The moment you try to think of another game plan. BB will expose it! Like I say, you CANNOT beat BB, so many have tried & game plans are getting more in depth these days & it's almost like a game between hms & BB to see if they can spot it & uncover it, there are so many little games being played within the BB game that it's difficult to keep up but it makes interesting viewing even if it is frustrating at times!
  • ValentineValentine Posts: 3,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only thing I don't like is this pretty regular contact with the outside world. The one constant theme about Big Brother is 'no contact with the outside world' but C5 regularly go against this.

When Jon Tickle was put back in in Series 4, he wasn't permitted to say anything at all about what anything on the outside, or on viewers' perceptions of each HM and yet now ex-HMs are out and out influencing nominations (like last night).
  • slappers r usslappers r us Posts: 56,131
    Forum Member
    people like the twists when they go the way of their favorite and hate the twists when it goes against their favorite, people ar fickle

People were wetting themselves with glee yesterday morning that Ashleigh may have had the chance to take Helens pass away but are up in arms that Ashleigh is now not immune
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Valentine wrote: »
    The only thing I don't like is this pretty regular contact with the outside world. The one constant theme about Big Brother is 'no contact with the outside world' but C5 regularly go against this.

When Jon Tickle was put back in in Series 4, he wasn't permitted to say anything at all about what anything on the outside, or on viewers' perceptions of each HM and yet now ex-HMs are out and out influencing nominations (like last night).

I agree. I remember when new HMs were punished if they mentioned anything about the outside world as well. Tim in BB3 was reprimanded just for hinting which teams were doing well in the world cup. How long ago that all seems