Options

Please help, Cat missing after moving house.

PobletPoblet Posts: 10,923
Forum Member
✭✭
I don't know what to do. As I am writing my baby girl has been missing for 4 hours. That might sound like not very long, but here, it is 3.00 am.
We moved house 2 and a half weeks ago, B and C, male black tom and C female tortie, brother and sister aged 2 and a half.
Chipped - still with old address unfortunately, all jabs, etc etc up to date when we moved, Fellaway included. We kept them in for a week, and B was quite established, so we let him out - they were used to a catflap - but B got used to the arrangement and is fine.

C stayed upstairs in the bedroom all the time (I used to live in a ground floor flat with a cat flap) and would not come down for her food, I initially had to carry her down to eat (she would be the one to come and stare at me at feeding time in my old place) She would eat a bit, then want to go back in the bedroom, where she feels safe.

I have let her out, but quite often she would stay near to me, she is a nervous cat, but she has sussed out the garden, as her brother has. Tonight I carried her downstairs to eat, otherwise she won't, She ate a bit, then went outside, and I haven't seen her since. I have the patio door open, and keep calling her, but nothing. I don't know the area myself so I don't know where to look, and it is late.:(
BTW it is not on a main road or anything so I am not worried about that, just that she hasn't come back even when I call her, and normally she loves to be with me in the garden.
Any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i had the same experience with my Fatty Matty not so long ago so i feel your pain

Does your little one use a litter tray? You could try putting that outside so she can get the scent? Or maybe the contents of your hoover (from your old house) around your garden or just outside your fence?

Thing to do is try not to panic just yet the little one is probably holed up in a little spot laughing at your frantic efforts!! Have you moved a long way away? is there any chance she'd wander back there?
  • Options
    CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any sign of her yet Poblet?
  • Options
    LurkalotLurkalot Posts: 1,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope she turns up safe and well, we have four cats and the youngest called Felix went missing on Friday morning, she is my youngest daughters, we put up lost cat posters and contacted the local cat protection league and local vets, this morning we had a call from the cat protection lady who said someone a couple of streets away from us had called her to say a small cat had turned up in her garden looking a little sorry for herself and she was hungry, we dashed round there and my daughter was almost in tears when we saw it was indeed our missing moggie, she is only about six months old and with the cold weather we were starting to worry a little, but cats are hardy creatures so dont give up hope, I am sure she will turn up.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,333
    Forum Member
    awww bless you, she sounds like a young timid little thing and that's exactly what happened with my Elphie so I know exactly how you're feeling. She dashed out of the front door late one night and ran in god knows what direction, clearly spooked, and she wasn't responding to me at all. I put up leaflets and posters straight away. After a month of not giving up looking I got a call from a neighbour to say she was on a facing factory roof living quite happily and having food thrown to her. I eventually had to physically scale the building and lay a trap from Cats Protection and miraculously got her back by 7am the next morning! It sounds like your little one will have just got spooked and ran and hid so get all your neighbours to check bins/sheds etc, leaflets are ESSENTIAL (they saved my Elph) !! In cases like this if you want something done, do it yourself, RSPCA etc are pointless. I really hope someone spots her. x x
  • Options
    PobletPoblet Posts: 10,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you for all your replies. She turned up a few hours ago, a bit cold and wet, and went to sleep under the bed as if nothing had happened!

I don't know where she went, but in saying that she used to go out for ages at my old place, but we had a catflap there. I panicked because she won't even come downstairs for her tea, then she goes outside and goes missing for hours. And no, we don't live near our old place, some 50 miles away.

Appreciate all your support, thank you. And I will get the address changed on their chip!
  • Options
    CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poblet wrote: »
    Thank you for all your replies. She turned up a few hours ago, a bit cold and wet, and went to sleep under the bed as if nothing had happened!

I don't know where she went, but in saying that she used to go out for ages at my old place, but we had a catflap there. I panicked because she won't even come downstairs for her tea, then she goes outside and goes missing for hours. And no, we don't live near our old place, some 50 miles away.

Appreciate all your support, thank you. And I will get the address changed on their chip!

thats great news! i know how awful it is when a pet goes missing you cant think about anything else. so pleased for you that she is safe and sound, they drive you mad sometimes!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only just seen this but so glad she is home safe.
  • Options
    dollylovesshoesdollylovesshoes Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aww what lovely news....:) Merry Christmas in your new home and hope puss doesnt go missing.....:)
  • Options
    wildpumpkinwildpumpkin Posts: 1,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great news that she's home, safe and warm.

Yes Camino, cats do drive you mad at times :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So pleased for you Poblet. (What a relief!)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Little buggers aren't they ;) So glad she's home safe and well
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I am pleased she got home fine.

I am still waiting for my Impossible Princess.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good to hear the cat came back.

I'm moving house next week and my cat will not be leaving the house.
  • Options
    wildpumpkinwildpumpkin Posts: 1,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:cry::cry::cry::cry:
  • Options
    Button62Button62 Posts: 8,463
    Forum Member
    I am pleased she got home fine.

I feel your pain. I have almost given up hope for Stan as it has been 3 years. I still look for him every day and check the local animal shelter and CPL every month.

Our Poppy went missing during the last lot of snow. Posters, leaflets and all the usual phone calls and visiting neighbours ensued.

30 hours later we found her sleeping in a blanket box in my bedroom. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 431
    Forum Member
    It drives me crazy with worry when my siamese goes wandering. In the end I bought a cat locator system. It's a bit of a strange device but works for up to a mile depending on terrain.

I can literally go into the garden and know if he is in 'his bush' hiding but probably watching me, or next doors garden or even wandered over to the little wood not too far away. :)

It came from the usa but tbh is worth it's weight in gold to me.

http://www.thepetlocator.com/thecatlocator/about_locator.htm

http://www.thepetlocator.com/thecatlocator/testimonial/test.html

I guess this is more a device for a precious pet that may wander rather than for a cat that is out all the time though.

The difference to my stress level is amazing. I have gone from 'OMFG WHERE IS HE!!!' and running up and down the road searching for up to an hour or more to 'I know where you are you little bugger' :p

http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/9146/merlin006.jpg
  • Options
    JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jifster wrote: »
    In the end I bought a cat locator system.

I was amused by the section in the manual headed "Securing the transmitter on your larger dog, pet or child" :)

My only concern would be whether it is legal to use in this country. I couldn't find any mention in the manual of the frequency or mode of transmission used, or whether it had been approved.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 431
    Forum Member
    Hi jeff, they did a uk version when I bought mine. Probably best to email or phone and ask. They were very helpful.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 381
    Forum Member
    Oh my, this reminds me of when our boy Flash was missing for 5 days. He had never been away for so long before and we were frantic and I was crying all the time. We searched everywhere.
    At that time we only had two cats; Flash & Smokey.
    In desperation, to help me get over Flash,my husband brought a rescue kitten home. That night Flash came back. Little bugger.
    We now have nine cats.
  • Options
    susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Button62 wrote: »
    I feel your pain. I have almost given up hope for Stan as it has been 3 years. I still look for him every day and check the local animal shelter and CPL every month.

Our Poppy went missing during the last lot of snow. Posters, leaflets and all the usual phone calls and visiting neighbours ensued.

30 hours later we found her sleeping in a blanket box in my bedroom. :D

:D
    Reminds me of when the OH and I had to go to the airport, and the Maine **** went missing (he's a house cat, and we couldn't find him anywhere in the house). Son was staying behind, so we left him searching the neighbourhood. About 10 hours after we'd left, got a call from son to say Maine **** was in OH's wardrobe! The opening of this wardrobe is a relatively rare event, as most of his clothes that he wears regularly are on the bedroom chair, so Maine **** had obviously been impressed and had gone in for a look. He'd had a nice kip, and was just thinking about supper when my son had his brainwave and looked in there for him. Cat wasn't at all phased, just strolled out in his usual fashion!