Options

What is the creepiest thing to have ever happened to you?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to a Psychometry work shop once. We had to hold something belonging to the person sitting next to us, it didn't work for me but other people there did pick things up.

I'd love to try that. Have you tried anything else? I'm quite good with Tarot cards which was a real surprise I only got them on a whim.
  • Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WoodenCat wrote: »
    I'd love to try that. Have you tried anything else? I'm quite good with Tarot cards which was a real surprise I only got them on a whim.

I have Tarot cards but have never really learned how to use then. It's all practice really, but people think you're mad if you say you have them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know what you mean, my then OH thought I was a bit tapped. But I was suddenly much more popular with the other Mums at the school lol I'd never been asked in for so many coffees.
  • Options
    Doll FeetDoll Feet Posts: 1,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    meroko wrote: »
    I'm a bit wary posting this because it seems a little "out there" and involves a famous concentration camp, but here goes.

Interesting post Meroko - and yes, it takes courage to post on anything paranormal and leave yourself open to doubt and possible derision, which is why I've found it so upsetting to see Tara belittled.

Tara, like you my whole family and I have had repeated experiences. Throughout my childhood I had to watch a family member continually undermined, humiliated and labelled "attention seeker" for trying to defend herself and the reality of her paranormal experiences - some of which I personally witnessed but was too young to back her up. It was painful to see her hauled over the coals just for speaking out about such an unacceptable subject and it did her a lot of psychological harm. This is why I feel very strongly about supporting people who have the courage to talk about these things.

Like you I've written up my own and my family's experiences and have a folder over 2 and a half inches thick, a percentage of which I'm happy to share, the rest is my private business and will only see the light of day if the person I'm leaving it to decides to publish after my death.

It's a subject where the goal posts keep moving. There was a time when it was something of an aim to convince people of the reality of various aspects, but having seen two previous non-believers irretrievably robbed of their ignorance it's no longer a need to convince anyone of anything. It wasn't pretty to witness.

The reason I continue to post some of my experiences, knowing full well that I won't be believed by many, is because I know a (probably very) small minority of people will know what I'm talking about from experience, and it's those people I'm interested in reaching. I've spoken to a lot of people over the years who've trusted me to hear experiences that are way too "out there" to be believed by anyone but fellow experiencers. It's awful that these people have suffered in silence, sometimes for years, because there's no support for them and a lack of acceptance/awareness for what they've endured.

I hope you'll put two fingers up to the detractors and continue to post for those of us who recognise from experience that you're just telling it the way it is, and for anyone who's been put off contributing to this thread for fear of a roasting from a handful of insensitive posters.
  • Options
    ButterfaceButterface Posts: 2,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My sister told me something a bit creepy recently about the time we lived in the victorian terraced house when we were little, and she had the attic bedroom. I was insanely jealous because it was a huge room and she (I used to indignantly claim), barely spent any time in it. We moved house before she left home, so I lost out on claiming the room.

When I mentioned it a few years later and said I couldn't understand why she didn't make more of the room, she said "well, you know why don't you?" and when I said no, she replied "because of the bloody noises!".

I asked what she meant and she said that she very often heard a woman sobbing quietly and whenever she quietly whispered, "who's there?", the sobbing would abruptly stop. She also regularly heard "old fashioned jazz type music" coming right from the centre of the attic.

We lived in an end terrace, so no neighbours on one side, and the other side had a young couple and their small baby living there, and were so quiet we never heard a peep out of them, not even the baby crying, so it couldn't have been noise from next door.

I'm quite glad I never got the room now !

(Have loved the cat and dog spirit stories on here).
  • Options
    tara27tara27 Posts: 2,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doll Feet wrote: »
    Interesting post Meroko - and yes, it takes courage to post on anything paranormal and leave yourself open to doubt and possible derision, which is why I've found it so upsetting to see Tara belittled.

Tara, like you my whole family and I have had repeated experiences. Throughout my childhood I had to watch a family member continually undermined, humiliated and labelled "attention seeker" for trying to defend herself and the reality of her paranormal experiences - some of which I personally witnessed but was too young to back her up. It was painful to see her hauled over the coals just for speaking out about such an unacceptable subject and it did her a lot of psychological harm. This is why I feel very strongly about supporting people who have the courage to talk about these things.

Like you I've written up my own and my family's experiences and have a folder over 2 and a half inches thick, a percentage of which I'm happy to share, the rest is my private business and will only see the light of day if the person I'm leaving it to decides to publish after my death.

It's a subject where the goal posts keep moving. There was a time when it was something of an aim to convince people of the reality of various aspects, but having seen two previous non-believers irretrievably robbed of their ignorance it's no longer a need to convince anyone of anything. It wasn't pretty to witness.

The reason I continue to post some of my experiences, knowing full well that I won't be believed by many, is because I know a (probably very) small minority of people will know what I'm talking about from experience, and it's those people I'm interested in reaching. I've spoken to a lot of people over the years who've trusted me to hear experiences that are way too "out there" to be believed by anyone but fellow experiencers. It's awful that these people have suffered in silence, sometimes for years, because there's no support for them and a lack of acceptance/awareness for what they've endured.

I hope you'll put two fingers up to the detractors and continue to post for those of us who recognise from experience that you're just telling it the way it is, and for anyone who's been put off contributing to this thread for fear of a roasting from a handful of insensitive posters.

Thank you for the kind words DF. It gives me the opportunity to say something before finally moving on. First,I'm glad you are documenting your experiences. I am trying to do that and it has involved my querying every single detail of things told to me, in my own attempts to explain away incidents or verify them and put them in chronological order. And I will continue to do this now that another brother has opted to help in a limited way.
    The thing I don't understand is that none of my related stories are terribly traumatic or dramatic in the way some others are and yet because I (or family members) have had many 'interesting' things happen in this regard I am singled out to be labelled a liar,with a few posters from this thread actually choosing to attempt to ridicule me on an unrelated thread:(. I could have done as others did and compacted 5 or 6 minor incidents into one post at a time,but I chose to tell them individually in an attempt to keep the thread fresh. What is so bad about that ?......drawing things out if you will for the edification of people following the thread. Better than simply posting "bump" to keep the thread healthy..... I thought . But apparently not.
    Anyway ,I needed to say that and also acknowledge DF's kind words. As you were.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,053
    Forum Member
    Thanks.

Can we keep the creepy stories coming folks? It's a great thread. It would be a shame for it to deteriorate into unnecessary personal stuff.

Have been re-reading some of the older posts on here. They really freak you out :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,053
    Forum Member
    The guy with the underground stories....do you have any more??

I was wondering that too. Some of the Tube Station stories made for really creepy reading.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have Tarot cards but have never really learned how to use then. It's all practice really, but people think you're mad if you say you have them.

In my teens we used to visit an old lady who read tea-cups and also used simple,ordinary playing cards to make predictions and give us personal info. And she was quite accurate too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 392
    Forum Member
    Tara, where on earth is this thread? I have never seen it and, to clarify, never posted on it either. I know you didn't say I had, but as I was the first one to question the credibility of the your posts, I wanted to make it clear that anything I have to say, I'd say in public, on here.
  • Options
    DaedrothDaedroth Posts: 3,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sometimes, very infrequently while we're going to sleep, there will be an INTENSE flashing light coming from the outside which will illuminate the entire room to an extent that you can read posters, pictures, etc. The light penetrates a blind and blackout curtains. There is no direct access for light to get into the window as it is upstairs, facing nothing but a forest. For someone to do this, they'd need one of those massively powerful torches and to climb a tree. When I get up to look out the window, it stops and there's nothing in view.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone's security light incorrectly positioned maybe? How long does the light stay on for?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tara27 wrote: »
    In my teens we used to visit an old lady who read tea-cups and also used simple,ordinary playing cards to make predictions and give us personal info. And she was quite accurate too.

My Nanna always read the tea leaves. I remember once she read me and my cousins for us, we were only little. In one of the cups she could see the shape of a key, then literally a few minutes later one of her neighbours brought back the key to her shed that he'd borrwed. Was a bit weird to say the least.

Also to those asking about the underground ghosts. There is a really good documentary called "Ghost of the Underground" I watched it on the plane on the way to America, and it was so good I watched it again on the way back:o Some of the stories really are quite terrifying, and they come from big burly men as well, not the sort of people you'd expect to hear ghost stories from.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Nanna always read the tea leaves. I remember once she read me and my cousins for us, we were only little. In one of the cups she could see the shape of a key, then literally a few minutes later one of her neighbours brought back the key to her shed that he'd borrwed. Was a bit weird to say the least.

Also to those asking about the underground ghosts. There is a really good documentary called "Ghost of the Underground" I watched it on the plane on the way to America, and it was so good I watched it again on the way back:o Some of the stories really are quite terrifying, and they come from big burly men as well, not the sort of people you'd expect to hear ghost stories from.

Yes the tea leaves can be interesting and the reader can often actually point a shape out to you within the leaves.
    The cards are quite basic like that too.....the king of spades or clubs representing a dark haired well-to-do man ....diamonds representing money/wealth...etc. The way the reader tells you to shuffle the cards and lay them out in a certain sequence is apparently the 'charm' to it. There is a sequence for the past ,one for the present and one for the future. If she gets the past and present right then you naturally find the future she/he predicts more believable. I had a typed copy of how to do it for years and used it occasionally on girlie nights and it was quite successful,but then anything is successful on girlie drinking nights and you know most of the "past & present" info already.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes the tea leaves can be interesting and the reader can often actually point a shape out to you within the leaves.
    The cards are quite basic like that too.....the king of spades or clubs representing a dark haired well-to-do man ....diamonds representing money/wealth...etc. The way the reader tells you to shuffle the cards and lay them out in a certain sequence is apparently the 'charm' to it. There is a sequence for the past ,one for the present and one for the future. If she gets the past and present right then you naturally find the future she/he predicts more believable. I had a typed copy of how to do it for years and used it occasionally on girlie nights and it was quite successful,but then anything is successful on girlie drinking nights and you know most of the "past & present" info already.

I have runes as well, but can't get my head around them at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have runes as well, but can't get my head around them at all.
    To be truthful voddy I wouldn't dabble in any of those now. I know my past and present and as far as the future goes I'll take it as it comes. It's really a younger persons thing ....they want to know about marriage and partners and careers etc and I'm settled in all those things. But it was good fun. Except for when the Ace of Spades, representing death (allegedly) came up. But it doesn't represent that .....it just means something 'not very pleasant' ....like an illness,or bad news.
  • Options
    DaedrothDaedroth Posts: 3,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Butterface wrote: »
    Someone's security light incorrectly positioned maybe? How long does the light stay on for?
    We thought about that, but we've checked and it isn't any of those. The length is random, and it flashes at different times/intervals.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be truthful voddy I wouldn't dabble in any of those now. I know my past and present and as far as the future goes I'll take it as it comes. It's really a younger persons thing ....they want to know about marriage and partners and careers etc and I'm settled in all those things. But it was good fun. Except for when the Ace of Spades, representing death (allegedly) came up. But it doesn't represent that .....it just means something 'not very pleasant' ....like an illness,or bad news.

I'd take the death card as a significant change in life. Maybe the end of a relationship or job change? Certainly not always bad news, but each reader will have their own take.

For what it's worth Tara I enjoy your posts here and would never presume to question your or anyones experiences. Keep posting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WoodenCat wrote: »
    I'd take the death card as a significant change in life. Maybe the end of a relationship or job change? Certainly not always bad news, but each reader will have their own take.

For what it's worth Tara I enjoy your posts here and would never presume to question your or anyones experiences. Keep posting.

I've always interpreted the death card to mean the same as you WoodenCat. It very rarely means someone is going to die according to the books I've read about it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also to those asking about the underground ghosts. There is a really good documentary called "Ghost of the Underground" I watched it on the plane on the way to America, and it was so good I watched it again on the way back Some of the stories really are quite terrifying, and they come from big burly men as well, not the sort of people you'd expect to hear ghost stories from

Just watched it on YouTube. Absolutely brilliant programme.

Thanks Vodka_Drinker
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched it on YouTube. Absolutely brilliant programme.

Thanks Vodka_Drinker

Creepy isn't it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    REALLY creepy, and IMO for a number of reasons. First of all I find tube stations pretty damn creepy anyway, but also (as you've said), the stories all come from no nonsense type blokey blokes who you wouldn't think would make anything up for attention seeking purposes or to wind someone up. Some actually left their jobs because of what they'd seen!

Wish they'd do another programme.

Loved the plague pit/burial sites/positioning of underground stations too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    REALLY creepy, and IMO for a number of reasons. First of all I find tube stations pretty damn creepy anyway, but also (as you've said), the stories all come from no nonsense type blokey blokes who you wouldn't think would make anything up for attention seeking purposes or to wind someone up. Some actually left their jobs because of what they'd seen!

Wish they'd do another programme.

Loved the plague pit/burial sites/positioning of underground stations too.

The problem is in London there are those plague pits everywhere. I saw a program about the plague on one of the obscure channels on Sky a while back and they don't even know where some of them are. Makes it hard when wanting to build stuff obviously.

When I went to London a few years ago we went on a cruise a long the river and the guide told us about "Dead Man's Docks" so called because when it was built in Victorian times they discovered literally hundreds of bodies:eek: These people didn't get proper given proper funerals, they were just chucked in the ground with loads of other people and forgotten about. If you believe in that kind of thing it's not hard to understand why some of them might be "restless".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 118
    Forum Member
    I've always had a strong interest in all things supernatural, ghosts in particular. Coming from a rural Irish background, there's plenty of tales in the near vicinity to fuel that interest but I've not seen or heard that many ghostly goings on myself, except for the following couple of things.

The tamer happening has occured a couple of times in our kitchen at home. The first time it happened, I was at the kitchen table, preparing a meal. Suddenly I saw a dark figure in the corner of my right eye making its quick way from the hallway, though the bottom of the kitchen to the utility room, which goes out to the toilet. It's a very quick route, through 2 doors in quick succession and wouldn't take a second if both were open. I definitely heard the scuffing of wellies accompany this figure. Now, I expected it to be one of my brothers or my father heading that way and thought nothing more of it for a couple of mins, but noone came back again. I went to investigate and there was noone there.

The same thing happened a couple of weeks ago to my mother and myself. In the kitchen, preparing for dinner when we both heard someone in wellies make their way out to the utility room. She asked me who it was and I suggested it was just one of my brothers but on investigation in a few minutes, there was noone out there and there hadn't been.

A stranger thing happened two years ago. My grandmother was dying, she'd been given four to six months at the time. She'd been in a nursing home for a few years since having a stroke so her house was like it had been around the time of the stroke, but she'd always said she'd like to be waked in her own house. Remember that an Irish wake starts very soon after death and the body is removed to the wakehouse within hours.

Her only child, my mother, decided it would be too late waiting until the last minute to give the place a proper clean up, when there wouldn't be time to attain my grandmother's high standards in housepride, so she and I set about getting the place sorted, like she would have wanted it.

We'd been cleaning all her ornaments, getting the kitchen sorted etc. We were in her spare bedroom when there was an almighty crash in the sitting room. I went out to investigate and couldn't see anything wrong to start with. Within a few seconds, however, I saw that a very large mirror had fallen off the wall and shattered on the floor.
    It should have taken out a good few of the ornaments on the way down but miraculously all was safe.

My mother came in and instantly thought my grandmother was dead and this was a sign (including how her ornaments were spared), but I assured her it wouldn't be the case and to wait til we got home. While I may have thought the same, she normally doesn't believe in such things.

When we arrived home, my mother phoned up straight away and no, my grandmother was ok. We just brushed it off.

The next week, my grandmother died in her sleep. The nurses and all who had anything to do with her were shocked as, although she was only ever going to get more ill, there was no signs at all that it would happen so suddenly.

As I said, Irish wakes are very quick so I went to get my hair cut for the removal, again to make sure Granny's high standards would be met! The hairdresser is a local woman and well versed in traditional folklore. I relayed the story of the broken mirror and she just nodded. She told me that a mirror breaking on its own is a sign that within the next few days, one of the house's residents will die. My grandfather had died in the early 80s, my mother had moved out mid 80s so there was only my grandmother left to warn about.

I've a few other stories to tell, more lively than these, that I've not witnessed myself but I have heard from very very good authorities.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very interesting. As is "light of the sin".:)
    There is an issue with mirrors at death houses in Ireland anyway ,with the tradition being to cover them or turn them to the wall for the duration of the wake.
This discussion has been closed.