Options

PictureBox on-demand movies goes online with first month free

MeMeMeIMeMeMeI Posts: 990
Forum Member
✭✭

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=66531861#post66531861

Is this because of whar is happening to TUTV or just so they can expand more because of the growing competition.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 206
    Forum Member
    It's probably Picturebox attempting to capture more IPTV market share. Again, it's one of those much-maligned services that is much better than people give it credit for and, in past years, has probably done [financially] quite well serving a niche market.

I've always found it okay, the only criticism [against Top Up TV not Picturebox] is that they could possibly have added more movies as the TV Favourites service reduced content.

Interestingly, the Picturebox website is still advertising Top Up TV as a service provider, even though new subscriptions [via the Top Up TV website at least] are not being accepted. If Top Up TV does continue, one thing they need to do is enable Picturebox movies to be viewed on the TV - I think they originally had to blank the screen off because movies were broadcast for recording by the PVR before watershed times (?)

Picturebox would be especially good for Freesat since due to the nature of the service, they are apparently not permitted to show 'live' (?) suscription channels - I believe Freesat has already trialled IPTV movies during the past 12 months or so. The service was called Box Office 365.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the problem for TUTV was their only had a limited amount of hours to broadcast everything so only one film per day was all they could put on along side their other content.

But I like the idea of Picture box via the TV, the CAM for BT sports would do the job I suppose but it depends on other factors. Plus would those of us with PVR's and viewing card be able to record the film to watch at a later time I wonder?

After TCM went a few years ago we had all hoped that there would have been two movies per day but it was kept as one. It was handy having a TCM classic plus a newer film from Picture Box.
  • Options
    MeMeMeIMeMeMeI Posts: 990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So people are suggesting could they use the old sports space to broadcast more movies?
  • Options
    Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MeMeMeI wrote: »

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=66531861#post66531861

Is this because of whar is happening to TUTV or just so they can expand more because of the growing competition.

PictureBox has been on other platforms for years and is not a TUTV exclusive (although some people on here might think it is!)

It is also available on BT Vision, TalkTalk TV and Virgin Media and Online too.