Doc Martin (Part 17 — Spoilers)

Comments

• BloodphobiaBloodphobia Posts: 448
    Forum Member
    Zarwen. The ratings may continue to increase for something as simple as the shows which me playing opposite Doc Martin in its time slot. Any one in England know what is shown in same time slot? Stings may also have risen because of counting methodologis, such as viewers who watch it on the ITV site after it is initially shown. A lot has changed with technology in lat then years
  • marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just rewatched S5E2 "Dry Your Tears" the episode about AJ funeral and the introduction of two new characters to the DM series: namely Aunt Ruth and Morwenna . It is amazing to see the character development of these two actors from that episode to the end of S6. AR was SO cold and stiff at first but has since turned into a warm person with a caring heart (looking out for her nephew and Al) and Morwenna was so dipsy at first you would never think the doc would have held on to her as a receptionist for long, but is now quite competent. The writers really gave them such good lines since S5E2 and it is amazing to see the growth.
  • mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marchrand wrote: »
    I just rewatched S5E2 "Dry Your Tears" the episode about AJ funeral and the introduction of two new characters to the DM series: namely Aunt Ruth and Morwenna . It is amazing to see the character development of these two actors from that episode to the end of S6. AR was SO cold and stiff at first but has since turned into a warm person with a caring heart (looking out for her nephew and Al) and Morwenna was so dipsy at first you would never think the doc would have held on to her as a receptionist for long, but is now quite competent. The writers really gave them such good lines since S5E2 and it is amazing to see the growth.

Maybe its the PW effect with AR, too!

She starts off with LG as socially awkward and bizarre nearly as DM. But, when we see her run to hug her nephew, we see the huge loving, vulnerable heart in her. Like DM learning to open up and love in PW, right away perhaps the sea air began working its charms on AR, as well. :)
  • marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    Maybe its the PW effect with AR, too!

She starts off with LG as socially awkward and bizarre nearly as DM. But, when we see her run to hug her nephew, we see the huge loving, vulnerable heart in her. Like DM learning to open up and love in PW, right away perhaps the sea air began working its charms on AR, as well. :)

I thought that was a great scene between these superb actors. If you closely watch their facial expressions as they deliver the lines: the look of horror on DM's face as AR tells him she is dying, the look of resigned doom and then renewed life on the face of AR as he tells her she wrongly diagnosed herself--for me one of the great moments by this outstanding cast.
    Forum Member
    Martin's diagnosis of Ruth was a wonderful scene. She returned the favor by diagnosing him in series 6. Let's hope he has the same renewal of life as Aunt Ruth did.
  • MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Martin's diagnosis of Ruth was a wonderful scene. She returned the favor by diagnosing him in series 6. Let's hope he has the same renewal of life as Aunt Ruth did.

I was always a bit bothered by Aunt Ruth's self diagnosis. I knew what she had in 15 seconds. I know that Psych docs don't deal with physical pathology very much, but she should have researched a bit more. It didn't ring true.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    New Park I have to agree that Martin Clunes seems to want more of an acting challenge and is setting himself up to be the serious actor we saw glimpses of in S. 6. He has outgrown the Man Behaving Badly laddism, the hen-pecked William and the lost Reggie Perrin. The fact that BP is producing the serious drama "Arthur & George" as a vehicle for Martin Clunes adds credence to your suggestion, New Park. Clunes showed his serious acting chops in S. 6,, so maybe now BP will give it a rest and let the show end as it began with humor and style.

Agree with you to a certain extent, but as MC often points out he's basically self employed and BP was set up to provide the vehicle to allow them (him) the opportunity to have more say in the direction his career was going (a bit like cutting out the middle man). They took a HUGE risk with Doc Martin which has fortunately paid off for them big time - so I would think if ITV keep funding it - they'll keep doing it?? - its basically their pension plan. He's not a Hollywood superstar (although I think he could be :) ). IMO he has already shown he's more than capable of being a serious actor but yes maybe you're right, (now that he is financially secure - (I presume)) we will maybe see him choosing more 'serious' parts but then again we all know he's not long finished Nat 3 !!! which he obviously chose to do? :p x
  • SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RubyRedi wrote: »
    Agree with you to a certain extent, but as MC often points out he's basically self employed and BP was set up to provide the vehicle to allow them (him) the opportunity to have more say in the direction his career was going (a bit like cutting out the middle man). They took a HUGE risk with Doc Martin which has fortunately paid off for them big time - so I would think if ITV keep funding it - they'll keep doing it?? - its basically their pension plan. He's not a Hollywood superstar (although I think he could be :) ). IMO he has already shown he's more than capable of being a serious actor but yes maybe you're right, (now that he is financially secure - (I presume)) we will maybe see him choosing more 'serious' parts but then again we all know he's not long finished Nat 3 !!! which he obviously chose to do? :p x

While Martin and Philippa are practical enough and talented enough to steer their own ship, Martin still works for others as well. And part of that, I believe, is his choosing roles that give him a challenge along with a paycheck.

At our Portland, Oregon meetup last Saturday, a lovely British expat here made a comment that she thinks he might actually in some way be considering his legacy, in the roles he picks more so now than when he was younger. I can certainly understand that as someone with a developed skill, that he can continue to hone it through diverse roles, and challenge himself just for his own sense of accomplishment.
    Forum Member
    Ruby and Susie. He used the oriiginal Martim Bamford character to spawn Martin Ellingham. Wouldn't it be interesting if he took Martin Ellingham and created a new character. Maybe a marriage counselor or a psychologist who treated phobics. As cast members reappear in Brit shows, we could se Doc Martin people in other roles in the new shows. Dream on
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ruby and Susie. He used the oriiginal Martim Bamford character to spawn Martin Ellingham. Wouldn't it be interesting if he took Martin Ellingham and created a new character. Maybe a marriage counselor or a psychologist who treated phobics. As cast members reappear in Brit shows, we could se Doc Martin people in other roles in the new shows. Dream on

MC has got to lose the DM persona for some future endeavors. What I haven't really understood was why he has declined to be involved in any "Hobbit/ Lord of the Rings" ot "Harry Potter" projects? Every Btit actor alive has been involved in these productions and I find it unbelievable that he has not been approached. My guess is he turned them down. I'm not infatuated or know much about these things, but he would make a lovely elvish nobleman.
    Forum Member

You never know!! they're a talented team :p:p lol x
    Forum Member
    Mofromco wrote: »
    MC has got to lose the DM persona for some future endeavors. What I haven't really understood was why he has declined to be involved in any "Hobbit/ Lord of the Rings" ot "Harry Potter" projects? Every Btit actor alive has been involved in these productions and I find it unbelievable that he has not been approached. My guess is he turned them down. I'm not infatuated or know much about these things, but he would make a lovely elvish nobleman.

IMO (for what its worth - lol) I don't think he will ever lose his DM 'persona'. Hes very much a TV actor but I don't think for a minute he would turn down the opportunity of(especially) some of the films you mention - my guess would be he's not (as a very good TV actor) been considered for film?? He is a very well thought of actor in the UK - but I don't think even yet at the point he can pick and choose? ie he has expressed a (public) interest in Downton Abbey in the past but that's not came to anything (and the more I think - didn't Ben Bolt direct some of that - which might also put to bed the 'all brits together' thing?) and he does have a very nice life to maintain!!

Going back to a previous post (SusieS) I think DM will be his legacy - and that's no bad thing eh - lol :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IMO (for what its worth - lol) I don't think he will ever lose his DM 'persona'. Hes very much a TV actor but I don't think for a minute he would turn down the opportunity of(especially) some of the films you mention - my guess would be he's not (as a very good TV actor) been considered for film?? He is a very well thought of actor in the UK - but I don't think even yet at the point he can pick and choose? ie he has expressed a (public) interest in Downton Abbey in the past but that's not came to anything (and the more I think - didn't Ben Bolt direct some of that - which might also put to bed the 'all brits together' thing?) and he does have a very nice life to maintain!!

Going back to a previous post (SusieS) I think DM will be his legacy - and that's no bad thing eh - lol :p

Doc Martin is a lovely, funny, dignified legacy....just don't think he should play the same character ad nauseum. We have lots to see...Arthur and George..Nativity 3. I'm just saying the Martin Ellingham becoming a psychotherapist or Marriage counselor is not a good idea. He's a better actor than that and I don't think the Dowton Abbey would be imminent because I don't think he and Julian Fellowes get on very well. Just what I read.. Oh well.
    Forum Member
    Mofromco wrote: »
    Doc Martin is a lovely, funny, dignified legacy....just don't think he should play the same character ad nauseum. We have lots to see...Arthur and George..Nativity 3. I'm just saying the Martin Ellingham becoming a psychotherapist or Marriage counselor is not a good idea. He's a better actor than that and I don't think the Dowton Abbey would be imminent because I don't think he and Julian Fellowes get on very well. Just what I read.. Oh well.

No I wasn't saying that either (god forbid!!) What Im saying is that DM is his big success and he's had a lot of 'lean' times in between - so maybe he doesn't have the choices people think he has?? Again .. Downton Abbey - he was up for it - but they didn't burst a gut to get him!! Maybe you're right, in that the success of DM has somewhat limited his appeal to the powers that be but at the end of the day, its his job and he's got to earn a crust. He still does a lot of voice overs in UK ads - I often wonder why? ( isn't his voice peachy - I was almost going to change my insurance lol ) I don't doubt he will deliver in whatever he does, cos I believe he could turn his hand to most things but at the end of the day it's just his job and he has all those horses to feed :p x

On the couple counselling theme for S7, I really don't see it being big (ongoing)throughout the next series - I think they will touch on it and move on?? Am I way off mark?? What do you all think? :p x
  • ZarwenZarwen Posts: 249
    Forum Member
    Re MC and movie roles: he did have a supporting part in "Shakespeare in Love (1998)," which I am sure most of us remember. In a talk show interview 2 years later, he spoke of being offered a major film role but turning it down because the final day of filming fell on his and PB's anniversary. I have wondered ever since whether TPTB in the film industry heard that and decided not to bother with him any more. I will post the link if I can find it again.

Agree with you, Mofromco, about the Elvish lord part!
    Forum Member
    Rubi. Thank you for bringing the British perspective. It is very interesting and spot on
  • Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He still does a lot of voice overs in UK ads - I often wonder why? ( isn't his voice peachy - I was almost going to change my insurance lol ) I don't doubt he will deliver in whatever he does, cos I believe he could turn his hand to most things but at the end of the day it's just his job and he has all those horses to feed :p x

We recently found an article where he said he had a studio built at his farm that allows him to do voice overs right from home. After making that initial investment, seems like it provides for a nice, easy income stream.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zarwen wrote: »
    Re MC and movie roles: he did have a supporting part in "Shakespeare in Love (1998)," which I am sure most of us remember. In a talk show interview 2 years later, he spoke of being offered a major film role but turning it down because the final day of filming fell on his and PB's anniversary. I have wondered ever since whether TPTB in the film industry heard that and decided not to bother with him any more. I will post the link if I can find it again.

That was in his appearance on Parkinson. It was the Tomb Raider movie with Angelina Jolie.
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    x

On the couple counselling theme for S7, I really don't see it being big (ongoing)throughout the next series - I think they will touch on it and move on?? Am I way off mark?? What do you all think? :p x

My guess is that they will get some fairly well-known character actor to play the couples counselor and utilize that person for parts of about 3 episodes. Perhaps we will see them still separated for the first couple of episodes, then counseling, then we see how they get on for the last 3 episodes. (I hope they are NOT separated at all, but you just can't tell from that ending.)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    We recently found an article where he said he had a studio built at his farm that allows him to do voice overs right from home. After making that initial investment, seems like it provides for a nice, easy income stream.

What an income stream...he brings in his sound man and reads the part....BBC English, regular accent....TV advert accent. Such a way to make a living. His voice to me is like barely melted caramel being poured over the perfect scoop of vanilla ice cream. I could just curl up in a cocoon and let his voice pour over me and wrap me up in warm and dulcet tones....until there is no anxiety left.....it is lovely
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zarwen wrote: »

Those ears would be exquisite. The complexion and everything else perfect.....
  • SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wouldn't it be fun to know all the ins and outs of how MC makes his job decisions???

It looks to me like he has a diversified career, including TV series and specials and documentaries; voice-over work for commercials, children's films and books; at least one radio play; special company work like he did for the building society; movies; and stage work in his resume. And owns a production company with his wife that gives him more possibilities of his own choosing.

And then there is the time given for he and Philippa's charity work, including their own Buckham Fair. And his presidency of the British Horse Society work.

He seems to have a good reputation, professional work ethic, and is successful enough to have decided he can have written into his contract not to be away from home more than two weeks. He's got a bob or two already, though he prefers to "have a few horses to feed" as his economic demeanor, and I believe is very realistic about how work for an actor can dry up and how it sometimes changes as age progresses.

He also has expressed a dislike for doing certain kinds of things (stage work that keeps odd hours from the family.) And I'll be interested to see if he ever does some Shakespeare again, since he seemed not too hot on it in the Mrs. Merton interview.

I think MC was doing all right for himself professionally even before he met Philippa. The two of them together have made a talented, knowledgeable, professional and personal team.

But I'd still like to know the ins and outs of the decision-making.
    Forum Member
    Susie. In MC's decision making, there may be a strong correlation between money earned and time expended.

RubyRedi. Could part of MC's legacy be as a successor to Sir David Attenborough with his animal and nature documentaries? MC's more lucrative projects could allow the documentaries as well as the farm. With the Princes Charles, William and Harry's involvement in animal causes, it might also gain his knighthood
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This week's episodes thrown out of the surgery:

S3E2 Movement
    S6E4 Nobody Likes Me

New survey this week:

S5E4 Mother Knows Best vs S6E3 The Tameness of a Wolf

S3E4 The Admirer vs S4E8 The Wrong Goodbye

Complete survey results: http://portwennonline.com/SurveyResults.html

New survey: http://portwennonline.com/SurveyCurrent.html

Episode title survey (suggestions for one or both eliminated episodes): http://portwennonline.com/SurveyEpisodeTitles.html
  • ZarwenZarwen Posts: 249
    Forum Member
    Happy Independence Day to our American friends!
This discussion has been closed.