Arsenal Supporters Thread (Part 15)

Comments

• GoodwinGoodwin Posts: 6,576
    Forum Member
    Oh dear oh dear. Doesn't quite match the calamitous collapse against Newcastle a few years ago but comes pretty damn close. At home too! Nothing should surprise the fans any more with our manager.

"It was a combination of fatigue and switching off. We dropped off and were always open. We didn't stop the crosses or the long balls."

Fatigue, at home, 3-1 up! Okay the first goal was miles offside but that should have been a consolation, no more. It just sums Wenger up really. Tactically inept, stubborn and complacent. Reactive, not proactive and so on.
  • ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
    Forum Member
    once again, no-one in the media putting Wenger on the spot for his tactical incompetence. Pretty easy I'd have thought to get a message to the team (FBs, Ramsey particularly) from the touchline if he'd wanted to, to the effect of 'sit back and defend the lead'. He brings on 2 attacking players as subs when we were 3-2 up. . He had a FB on the bench and Chambers is able to play CB or DM. Headless chicken time.

I see in the press this morning he's accused the players of complacency.
    Well as a fan I accuse him of incompetence.
  • SpiderMan 83SpiderMan 83 Posts: 11,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see in the press this morning he's accused the players of complacency.
    Well as a fan I accuse him of incompetence.

Was he suppose to pat them on the back and say its all ny fault. The players let him down and rightly so he was pissed. You do not need a manager to tell you what to do 3-0 up at home against any team.

Imo at 3-0 up what more does he do? Everything was going our way. Did not see any gooner moaning how we should have shored up defence etc.

Even at 3-1 the players should still have done better, there was no pressure we could have got the 4th easy.

Yes you have a point it comes back to him because of the lack of defence bought in the summer. However imo and u all know i am a AOB. The players let Sanchez and the fans down.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    satellite wrote: »
    Although I agree the players should have had more sense than to carry on gung ho rather than shut the game down - they do need guidance from someone. Tactics - who knows?

Nope you would not see the invincibles chucking it away. They had players who used their brains. Maybe its harsh to blame the Defence because its rubbish anyway. However players like Santi,Ramsey, Flamini and even Per and Gibbs should know by now how to see a game out. Wenger yeah made mistakes like taking Arteta off instead of Santi and maybe not moving Chambers to the middle for monreal and put Hector on the right. However sometimes players need to man up. Because at 3-0 we had enough to see it through. I guess lucky for us Dortmund will rest a few players when we play them.
    Forum Member
    Arteta was injured wasn't he? He doesn't usually hook players before the 70th minute otherwise. Would have been an ideal game to bring on Theo at some point. Give him some much needed playing time and stretch them at the back. It seems like we were neither one or the other (Offensive or defensive) and paid for it.
    Forum Member
    I'm not letting the players off the hook. The wheels came off after Arteta was subbed (he's injured)
    Just saying if you are a manager and see your full backs keeping bombing forward, and your only vaguely competent holding midfielder doing likewise, you give instructions from the touchline.
    It comes down to coaching or lack of.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Goodwin wrote: »
    Arteta was injured wasn't he? He doesn't usually hook players before the 70th minute otherwise. Would have been an ideal game to bring on Theo at some point. Give him some much needed playing time and stretch them at the back. It seems like we were neither one or the other (Offensive or defensive) and paid for it.

Did not know MA was injured just thought he was just resting him.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Dear oh dear, you simply do not let a 3-0 lead slip at home. Even at 3-1 I thought "fair enough" to let that go is just bad play/management.
  • wacky joewacky joe Posts: 1,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think i have just about calmed down after that shambles last night.
    Its all been said on this forum " clueless manager clueless players".
    I cannot wait for Debuchy & Kos to return.
    Bfg cant cope with Monreal beside him.
    Monreal turning into another Senderous pathitic.
    Talk about getting a DM will need two quality CD.
    I look at Sanchez workn his balls off & wonder what his thoughts are.
    If this is not turned round soon why would he stay.
    Lets face facts he's carrying the team & its his first season.
    Forum Member
    I'm going to cut some slack to Monreal. He's not a centre half and and it's only because Wenger saw fit not to bring anyone in (despite selling Verm) that he's been forced to play him there. He's not had a bad season and is generally quite a tidy player but he is no centre back. I am more concerned about Cazorla and Ramsey and their current form at the moment.
  • soteksotek Posts: 3,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wacky joe wrote: »

That's the real issue. Why on earth would a player of his quality want to stay given the shambles around him. Honestly, we'll have a struggle to hold onto him once one of the big clubs comes in with a stupid bid and I wouldn't blame him in the slightest.

I can't get myself worked up anymore because this disaster has been years in the making but the really annoying thing is we do have the makings of a title chasing side with the addition of two or three more key players in the right positions and a manager with the right tactical and motivational skills. No chance of any of that happening however while the incompetent, arrogant fool remains in charge.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    That's actually really worrying given Sanchez has only been with us for about 5 minutes
  • satellitesatellite Posts: 8,181
    Forum Member
    Nope you would not see the invincibles chucking it away. They had players who used their brains. Maybe its harsh to blame the Defence because its rubbish anyway. However players like Santi,Ramsey, Flamini and even Per and Gibbs should know by now how to see a game out. Wenger yeah made mistakes like taking Arteta off instead of Santi and maybe not moving Chambers to the middle for monreal and put Hector on the right. However sometimes players need to man up. Because at 3-0 we had enough to see it through. I guess lucky for us Dortmund will rest a few players when we play them.

We can't compare our team now to the likes of Vierra, DB, Henry, Adams etc, they were all leaders on and off the pitch. Can't imagine any of our lot giving a team mate a bollocking in the dressing room, can you?

But let's be honest, we've capitulated so many times now over the years - why isn't someone (ie our super well paid manager) sorting it out? It happens time and time again with different groups of players.

And what are the tactics? Didn't Cesc say he had no real idea until he went to Barcelona? And that's from a player who had the utmost respect for Wenger, not from someone who wanted to just put the boot in. I'm not convinced our players are being guided enough. Take Mourinho for example, he's constantly standing on the touch line issuing instructions and making substitutions to help change the game, but all Wenger does is stand there, flap his arms and argue with the linesman?

And make no mistake, we can be turned over by Swansea on the weekend, and what about our annual 'just hand them the three points' match with Utd. Something's got to give soon.
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Could be worse, could be Citeh.

That's how bad things have gone....lowering expectations. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could be worse, could be Citeh.

That's how bad things have gone....lowering expectations. :(

English teams in CL are woeful. Dortmund are poor in the league but good in CL its strange.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi Gunners. I'm sure you won't take this the wrong way, but our local paper has been doing FA Cup stuff from over the years for York City (and we have a big Cup history, both FA Cup and League Cup (such as beating Man U 3-0 at Old Trafford - happiest night of my life ;) )

But I don't think I've seen this uploaded on youtube until now.

York City 1-0 Arsenal in 1985. Remember it as a kid very well. Both York and Arsenal fans were on the pitch for an hour before kick off clearing the snow off the pitch. Was a very nice atmosphere, helped by the fact we all thought it would be a cricket score.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pw3CemSTctA

We took Liverpool to a replay in the next round.

Bootham Crescent at its finest. We leave there after next season (albeit to a very nice new £32m stadium complex).
  • Get Den WattsGet Den Watts Posts: 6,039
    Forum Member
    Hi Gunners. I'm sure you won't take this the wrong way, but our local paper has been doing FA Cup stuff from over the years for York City (and we have a big Cup history, both FA Cup and League Cup (such as beating Man U 3-0 at Old Trafford - happiest night of my life ;) )

York City 1-0 Arsenal in 1985. Remember it as a kid very well. Both York and Arsenal fans were on the pitch for an hour before kick off clearing the snow off the pitch. Was a very nice atmosphere, helped by the fact we all thought it would be a cricket score.

Bootham Crescent at its finest. We leave there after next season (albeit to a very nice new £32m stadium complex).

Steve Williams gave away the penalty and Keith Houchen scored it. It wasn't Houchen's most famous FA Cup goal. That was the diving header two years later for Coventry against Spurs.

Arsenal were famous for being a drunken rabble in those days. They were a real version of the stereotypical, overpaid, prima donna team. You had Champagne Charlie and the rest of the "song and dance" brigade.

It was a case of the more things change, the more they stay the same because that Arsenal team of the mid 80s (like the one of today) was also known for having no stomach for the fight. I don't think they fancied the arctic weather against York.
    Forum Member
    29 years ago! Where does the time go?!! I remember it well. Listening to the comm on the radio. Heading for a replay then Steve Williams gives the pen away. Gutted I was. Can imagine the atmosphere on the team bus back south. Had all the ingredients for an upset. The flash lot from the south playing the journeymen of York City. Snow, bitter northerly winds, crunching tackles, dodgy pitch, nothing to lose and all that. Oh well. Those shorts!
  • LateralthinkingLateralthinking Posts: 8,027
    Forum Member

Many thanks for that link. I lived in York between 1982 and 1985 - late teens/early 20s - and was a regular at Bootham Cresecent while Arsenal was - and is - my first team. That meant attending a lot of matches in the 1983-84 season when City were the first team to score over 100 points. I also saw them against Newcastle Blue Star and Walsall in the 1st and 3rd rounds of the 84/85 FA Cup and was there when they lost to QPR in the League (Milk) Cup in that season. Sadly I couldn't get tickets for the Arsenal match although I remember it very well.

Here's hoping for a good result for Arsenal against Swansea tomorrow. Like others, I am concerned about the amount of work Sanchez is having to put in. But the news on Walcott is welcome, it sounds like Giroud may be improving and Ramsey often does particularly well when back in Wales although Fabianski could lift his game too. The defence is probably the biggest worry what with the latest news on Koscielny and the ongoing issues with Debuchy. Chambers can't be everywhere. With hindsight, it was probably a mistake to let Jenkinson go to W Ham.
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    wacky joe wrote: »
    I think i have just about calmed down after that shambles last night.
    Its all been said on this forum " clueless manager clueless players".
    I cannot wait for Debuchy & Kos to return.
    Bfg cant cope with Monreal beside him.
    Monreal turning into another Senderous pathitic.
    Talk about getting a DM will need two quality CD.
    If this is not turned round soon why would he stay.
    Lets face facts he's carrying the team & its his first season.
    http://www.arsenalnewsreview.co.uk/index.php/news/4411/30/Which-Arsenal-player-said-Alexis-trains-too-hard-and-needs-to-chill-out

Why am I not surprised?

Read a piece in the Telegraph on how Arsenal can get back on track and these comments below are spot on:
    Wenger is by proxy chairman, technical director, chief scout, interpreter, translator, bean counter, economist, policy maker, property developer, training observer, bottle thrower, and interviewee, but does he have time for coaching?

Wenger the economist. Attractive product. No defending. 4th place trophy.
    Wenger stopped coaching ages ago. He doesn't need to. He has the team attacking attractively. That's it.

As aforementioned, the club is no longer a football team but a business designed to play attractive football at all costs. It's not about winning or tactics.
    No pressure put on Wenger whatsoever.
  • satellitesatellite Posts: 8,181
    Forum Member
    http://www.arsenalnewsreview.co.uk/index.php/news/4411/30/Which-Arsenal-player-said-Alexis-trains-too-hard-and-needs-to-chill-out

Why am I not surprised?

Read a piece in the Telegraph on how Arsenal can get back on track and these comments below are spot on:

No pressure put on Wenger whatsoever.

The article is right apart from the playing attractive football myth, that hasn't happened for years - we'd rather pass backwards and sideways than go forward - very dull.

But Wenger is head cook and bottle washer, there's no getting away from that. He runs the club from top to bottom and has way too much power.
    Forum Member
    He was spouting on about how's overseen 70,000 games in his managerial career .....zzzzzz.............Okay I exaggerate but he was banging that particular drum again...yawn
  • Skyclaw726Skyclaw726 Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only our players would complain about someone training too hard..
    Forum Member
    Tendinitis is long term usually. I don't expect a fully fit Koscielny for quite a while and Mertesacker is battling without him. Monreal is no one but Wenger's idea of a CB. I doubt Monreal thinks he's any good there either.
    Should've found a way to keep Sagna.
  • terry45terry45 Posts: 2,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brother in law managed to get tickets for today. We're setting off in the next hour.

Hope the long day ahead is worth it.

Arsenal 2-1.
This discussion has been closed.