What are the rules in your house?

Comments

• DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I live by myself. Feel free to smoke and keep your shoes on.
  • biggle2000biggle2000 Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No smoking.

Get up if the cats want to sleep where you are sitting.
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    biggle2000 wrote: »
    No smoking.

4. If the cat is asleep on your lap, you can't leave.
    (If my cat is comfortable I don't like to movie him. I bribe him with cat treats so I don't feel guilty :D )
  • biggle2000biggle2000 Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CBFreak wrote: »
    4. If the cat is asleep on your lap, you can't leave.
    (If my cat is comfortable I don't like to movie him. I bribe him with cat treats so I don't feel guilty :D )

Yes that sounds like our house:D
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,987
    Forum Member
    steveh31 wrote: »
    No one should control anyone if your boyfriend wants to use en-suite why should you feel that's a problem?

Because it's mine. If he was capable of picking up his worn boxers off the floor when he left the room, he would be able to use the room. As he isn't, he's not.
  • Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Porcupine wrote: »
    My husband would need a map to find a) the supermarket and b) the kitchen. If I go out and buy, prepare and cook food - then he should darned well appreciate it. I, like most people, cook food that both myself and my husband like. I wouldn't serve up a chicken kiev as he doesn't like garlic. That's why, why I present an expensive meal with quality ingredients - non of which he doesn't like ... he should eat it without quibble. If he doesn't like what I cook I will indeed draw him a map.

I think that's ridiculous and a terrible attitude, why should he be forced to eat something if he doesn't like it? 99% of the time my cooking is spot on but a couple of times I've cooked recipes that have looked great and have no ingredients that we don't like but it either hasn't turned out right or once made it's just not to someones taste. You can't force someone to appreciate something. I personally want to know if I've made something that's not great and I either won't make it again or I'll tweak the recipe to make it better.
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jambo_c wrote: »
    I think that's ridiculous and a terrible attitude, why should he be forced to eat something if he doesn't like it? 99% of the time my cooking is spot on but a couple of times I've cooked recipes that have looked great and have no ingredients that we don't like but it either hasn't turned out right or once made it's just not to someones taste. You can't force someone to appreciate something. I personally want to know if I've made something that's not great and I either won't make it again or I'll tweak the recipe to make it better.

I am indeed a terrible person then. I don't force him to eat anything, there was no gun / head scenario. He often leaves food on his plate which then gets put in a pot and dogs have it on their dinner. I am happy with that. But to complain and call his dinner 'slop' was uncalled for. I worked all day too, but I still came home and cooked us a lovely hot meal. Insults are not called for. He either eats what I give him ... or he goes hungry - that night he went hungry. I didn't give him anything he didn't like or hadn't had before, he was just being an arse.
  • MarkiebMarkieb Posts: 1,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sodavlac wrote: »
    No smoking apart from in the kitchen.

Thats the worst place to allow it around food
  • Kaz159Kaz159 Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some funny stuff in this thread :D
    Raquelos. wrote: »
    No eating stinky fried chicken or kebabs with chilli sauce in the living room when coming home after a drinking session. The smell the next day makes me heave, especially if I'm hung over!

That made me laugh for some reason :D sorry :blush:
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    In my home, the pets appear to make the rules. I am nothing but a minion.

Same here, the cat is boss, even the hamster is more important than the humans.
    Not really. We have been living together for so long now we just rub along perfectly without the need for rules. I think its different if you have kids.

The only one I can think of is that we must rinse the bath after use and clear any hair from the plug. My husband went through a stage of not taking his hair from the plug .... so I left it. It built up and up until the plug struggled to go in. I then removed it - and propped it on his toothbrush. He hasn't done it since.

Love it :D

Not many rules chez kaz

No smoking in the house anywhere
    No shoes upstairs or in living room
    Crockery and cutlery to be returned to kitchen after use (this rule is often ignored especially by teenage daughter grrr)
    Ironing to be put away by person it belongs to (and not left on dining table)
    Don't leave loo seat up
  • Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am indeed a terrible person then. I don't force him to eat anything, there was no gun / head scenario. He often leaves food on his plate which then gets put in a pot and dogs have it on their dinner. I am happy with that. But to complain and call his dinner 'slop' was uncalled for. I worked all day too, but I still came home and cooked us a lovely hot meal. Insults are not called for. He either eats what I give him ... or he goes hungry - that night he went hungry. I didn't give him anything he didn't like or hadn't had before, he was just being an arse.

OK, you didn't really make that clear that he was just doing it to be an arse and that he was rude about it. Your original post just said that nobody should ever criticize your cooking which I think is wrong, criticism can be a good thing. Just because you've made something for someone doesn't mean they have to enjoy it and should go "Mmm that's lovely" even if it wasn't. As I've said, I appreciate criticism and prefer people to be honest. I work every day and always cook dinner but I'd be horrified if I found out my wife was silently putting up with stuff she hated.
  • farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do not burst into 'bob's room' unexpectedly.
  • gothergother Posts: 14,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Sod him if he don't like it point him in direction of the chip shop tell him to do without.

I live on my own my main rule is respect my flat.
  • PrinceOfDenmarkPrinceOfDenmark Posts: 2,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For example people have to leave their shows outside etc

Don't the shows get wet when rains?
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't the shows get wet when rains?

That is a poor show
  • LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not many rules in my house:

- the toilet seat must be left down
    - wipe the bathroom sink after use
    - rubbish (eg used tissues, packaging, till receipts) go in the bin, not on the kitchen table.

Mr Lakie only manages to observe the first rule, so he gets regular detention.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cook all the meals and I've always had a rule that after I've cooked for everyone I do nothing else. No washing up, no loading dishwasher etc. I don't care who does it, but I definitely don't.;-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    I live on my own so I don't have rules as such but I do ask guests to remove their shoes if it's been wet outside (living in Scotland that's rather a lot!)
  • AvinAGiraffeAvinAGiraffe Posts: 481
    Forum Member
    No food upstairs (drinks are fine).
    Other than that it's just generally respect each other and keep a decent level of tidiness.
  • kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    Not many rules as I do most of the cooking, cleaning and tidying apart from when he has a moment and decides to bleach the entire flat but the 2 major ones that come to mind are

* wipe the seat if you pee it or I will pee all over it before I go to work so you can sit on it when you wake up. Funnily enough that threat works,
    * Never come home with food just for yourself if you get something on the way home - it's akin to cheating in our household.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    I learnt many years ago that rules were made to be broken. Therefore we don't have any rules.
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    DianaFire wrote: »
    I live by myself. Feel free to smoke and keep your shoes on.

Me too! I wear ugg slippers at home though.

The rules are there ain't no rules
  • Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    biggle2000 wrote: »

If you want the best seat in the house, you'll have to move the cat.

If you dare.
  • CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    Because it's mine. If he was capable of picking up his worn boxers off the floor when he left the room, he would be able to use the room. As he isn't, he's not.

When you say it's yours, do you mean the house is yours and therefore you decide the rules, or is a shared home and you've agreed / decided that only you can use the E-S?

(We both agreed no no. 2's in the E-S but other than that, it's a shared space).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually, there is nothing like having children to make you devise new rules on the hoof. Anyone who brings up children and claims not to have rules is lying. Early school years in particular are a sea of ever-multiplying rules about how much tv they watch, when they do their homework, when they are allowed to eat sweets etc.

At one point I had a rule that no one was allowed to tell a joke before their sixth birthday. My children went through a terrible phase when they understood what you might call the rhetorical pattern of a joke, but did not understand what made it a joke. So they kept screeching, "Why did the piano fly up in the air? Because it was a horse!" - that kind of thing. It was either make the rule or lock myself in the cupboard under the stairs until they stopped doing it.
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    No dragons (except guide dragons)