has Westminster Cathedral become a Mosque

DotheboyshallDotheboyshall Posts: 40,583
Forum Member

Comments

• BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,555
    Forum Member
    It was on the Daily Politics earlier how UKIP mistook the Catholic cathedral for a mosque. Peoples army are showing the signs of strain and the GE campaign has not even started!!
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An iconic and well known building in London and UKIP think it's a mosque. :D
  • glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rather proof they couldn't find their way from a bell tower to minaret with both hands.

Or know that Islam along with Judaism and some branches of Christianity has a policy of aniconism when it comes to religious buildings...couldn't they see the figures depicted above the entrance door.
  • BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it goes the same way as some of my local churches, it may well end up as a nightclub.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it goes the same way as some of my local churches, it may well end up as a nightclub.

Or a conversion to a residential property
  • glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have a feeling that the building isn't yet complete...like the Catholic and Anglian Cathedrals in New York have also been under construction for over a hundred years.

Twice as long as Canterbury and the like took a thousand years ago...I guess you just can't get the labour or money these days ;-)
  • biggle2000biggle2000 Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's just made my day. So funny:D
  • angarrackangarrack Posts: 5,493
    Forum Member
    No disrespect to Catholics but its certainly not the most beautiful of buildings. They did much better in medieval times.

The tower is not traditional and does have some vague similarities to a minaret. Its just that nobody bawls out of it from somewhere up above. They should have known that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    angarrack wrote: »
    No disrespect to Catholics but its certainly not the most beautiful of buildings. They did much better in medieval times.
    The tower is not traditional and does have some vague similarities to a minaret.
    Ah ... but it was designed in Byzantine style.
    So it's based on a Medieval pattern (early Medieval at that as early Byzantine dates from at least the 6th century), and the tower is traditional. Think Istanbul. As Constantinople it was the head of the Eastern Roman Empire - and that's where the Byzantine Empire was based.
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    BanglaRoad wrote: »
    It was on the Daily Politics earlier how UKIP mistook the Catholic cathedral for a mosque. Peoples army are showing the signs of strain and the GE campaign has not even started!!

What you mean the entire UKIP party and all 40000 members?

Of course the Westminster borough does have one of the largest Muslim populations in the UK - and Victoria street is a busy shopping street with very few passers by going to the catholic cathedral. But that's by the by.

Another storm over nothing much really. But no doubt you and the other usual suspects will have created a 40 page thread out of it by midnight full of the usual faux outrage. :D Avoids you having to address serious issues I suppose!
  • blue eyed guyblue eyed guy Posts: 2,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not yet, but with the rate muslims breed it will be, and that goes for Saint Pauls as well.
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,564
    Forum Member
    MARTYM8 wrote: »

Of course the Westminster borough does have one of the largest Muslim populations in the UK - and Victoria street is a busy shopping street with very few passers by going to the catholic cathedral. But that's by the by.

Another storm over nothing much really. But no doubt you and the other usual suspects will have created a 40 page thread out of it by midnight full of the usual faux outrage. :D Avoids you having to address serious issues I suppose!

There's no "storm" or "outrage", people just find it rather amusing. Don't you?

And there's no shortage of posters addressing more serious issues.
  • iwearoddsocksiwearoddsocks Posts: 3,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What a defensive post. Rattled, are we?
  • DiscombobulateDiscombobulate Posts: 4,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Pity you have not posted a link to Nigel Farage's reply on today's Daily Politics it was quite funny. Still that would not fit your agenda would it ?
    Forum Member
    Pity you have not posted a link to Nigel Farage's reply on today's Daily Politics it was quite funny. Still that would not fit your agenda would it ?

What was his reply?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    What was his reply?

I have said where his reply is, anyone interested can look it up for themselves as seeing it in the raw is better than a transcript of it IMO
    Forum Member
    I have said where his reply is, anyone interested can look it up for themselves as seeing it in the raw is better than a transcript of it IMO

Don't think you gave a link?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    Don't think you gave a link?

No I didn't.

I said

Nigel Farage's reply on today's Daily Politics

and I assumed everyone was aware of the BBC iplayer. Apparently not it would seem

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b04t0ndr/daily-politics-27112014
  • allaortaallaorta Posts: 19,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

As I've written on another thread.....give it time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    #ThingsThatAreNotMosques is trending on Twitter. Rather humourous :D

https://twitter.com/hashtag/ThingsThatAreNotMosques?src=tren
  • iwearoddsocksiwearoddsocks Posts: 3,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allaorta wrote: »

As I've written on another thread.....give it time.

Oooh. Thought provoking.
  • angarrackangarrack Posts: 5,493
    Forum Member
    Ah ... but it was designed in Byzantine style.
    So it's based on a Medieval pattern (early Medieval at that as early Byzantine dates from at least the 6th century), and the tower is traditional. Think Istanbul. As Constantinople it was the head of the Eastern Roman Empire - and that's where the Byzantine Empire was based.

Byzantine style - i.e. Eastern Mediterranean.

Compare with Truro Cathedral (built about the same time) - traditional Western European Gothic.

Compare also with Medieval Church Architecture in England i.e. pre-Reformation. Towers usually four square or a Spire or both. The style which I was referring to when I said: 'Catholics (in England) did better in medieval times'.

For anyone not familiar with Westminster Cathedral, the building might well suggest a style with its origins in the near East, which of course it is.
  • BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,555
    Forum Member

Aw dry your eyes cupcake and take it on the chin. It is a silly story but it does have UKIPs name on it so grow up and shrug it off as one of those things or else the next six months are going to be torture for you when the real nitty gritty stuff begins.
    Wait until UKIP have over six hundred candidates in place and you will be begging for stories like this to appear.
  • IanPIanP Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Daily Politics asking former Radio 1 breakfast show personality "Comedy" Dave Vitty for his opinion on Nigel Farage during the item was a little odd.
  • allaortaallaorta Posts: 19,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oooh. Thought provoking.

That's you flummoxed then!