What was the point in having katie on the show then?

DamienSDamienS Posts: 12,456
Forum Member
✭✭
Why waste 10 weeks of her life when the business would never work.

This is why the new format annoys me.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DamienS wrote: »

It was ridiculous. Did they not review the plans at the beginning.
  • lybertynelybertyne Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The same goes for Sanjay. He was fired because Sugar didn't like his business idea. In week 10. :rolleyes:
  • square_eyessquare_eyes Posts: 7,559
    Forum Member
    Renders the whole process pointless. Just judge them on their business plans and it's done in a week.

Clearly they put candidates in that are not eligible to win regardless of how they perform.
  • urt31urt31 Posts: 2,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could say the same about having any of them but the winner? Most of the business plans get torn apart at interviews anyway.
  • MeridaMerida Posts: 2,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This was Katie's chance to prove her business plan could work. She wants to promote healthy eating - why not come up with a healthier than usual pudding? If she had done this and then won the task she'd still be in the process with some credibility.
  • DamienSDamienS Posts: 12,456
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But there should always been decent plans. What happens if roisin has a rubbish business idea? We've watched her be the best for 10 weeks for no reason. And daniel could have the best idea? Would he deserve to win?
  • jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It wasn't the business idea - as the restaurant could have made money - but he doubted her ability to make it into a successful chain.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But there should always been decent plans. What happens if roisin has a rubbish business idea? We've watched her be the best for 10 weeks for no reason. And daniel could have the best idea? Would he deserve to win?

The show doesn't really know what it's about anymore.

I'm not sure why they got rid of the original prize of being employed by AS. I thought it was because a few winners had complained they were given total non-jobs, but others have told me it was only Stella who claimed this. So what was the reason for the change?
  • urt31urt31 Posts: 2,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm not sure why they got rid of the original prize of being employed by AS. I thought it was because a few winners had complained they were given total non-jobs, but others have told me it was only Stella who claimed this. So what was the reason for the change?

A few of them complained of being made public faces of elements of the company rather than being given actual roles.

Stella sued alleging that the role was not as advertised. She lost the case. Yasmina left after one year. Lee left after two and a half years. Simon worked there for three years. Michelle left before the end of the first year. Tim left within two years.

I think the issue is that Sugar doesn't really have that big of a business empire to be giving out roles in nowadays. He sold most of it years ago.
  • square_eyessquare_eyes Posts: 7,559
    Forum Member
    If it was logical, non manipulated and not played out just for light entertainment purposes, you'd have the interviews in week 1.

Then you pick out the ones with workable business plans and put them forward into the 10 week process.
  • Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    urt31 wrote: »
    A few of them complained of being made public faces of elements of the company rather than being given actual roles.

Stella sued alleging that the role was not as advertised. She lost the case. Yasmina left after one year. Lee left after two and a half years. Simon worked there for three years. Michelle left before the end of the first year. Tim left within two years.

I think the issue is that Sugar doesn't really have that big of a business empire to be giving out roles in nowadays. He sold most of it years ago.

That is crux of it. If Alan Sugar was replaced by say Richard Branson then it could revert to original concept.
  • thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,624
    Forum Member

The business could work. As she said, she wouldn't cook the food, or develop it, and she wouldn't be selling cream trifles. She just needed to employ a chef and nutritionist to develop a menu. Cost doesn't usually matter in tasks so why mention it this time- when it was claear that all ingredients could be changed anyway.

The it won't scale up argument is nonsense too. If it works in one place, it could work in another. Just as Francesca could always set up another dance club.

His problem was he wants more quick money - hecause he's greedy and would rather make thousands from silly people doing expensive things like injecting botox in themselves than from people eating healthy food. for a tenner.

His hidden issue is Sunderland. Its difficult to see him on a train to see his restaurant And it may be no coincidence that he's never taken any interest in any project based more than an hour away from London. Scots, Welsh and northerners may be wasting their time.
  • itsJoeitsJoe Posts: 2,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked Katie, shame to see her go tonight.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    itsJoe wrote: »
    I liked Katie, shame to see her go tonight.

I liked her too. It was nice to see someone who wasn't your typical metropolitan sales executive.

There's no reason why a single restaurant can't become an international chain - other have done it (though not starting in Sunderland!) - but it's not a business that I could see LS being interested in. She should have stuck with something involving fitness.
  • Eve ElleEve Elle Posts: 6,507
    Forum Member
    I feel like it's a two part deal. During their time on the show, candidates prove their business acumen. Whilst part two involves the assessment of their business idea. Granted, if they did part two first, it would save a lot of time. But then, I guess we wouldn't have much of a show.
    Forum Member

Michelle got a project that she found was economically unviable. She then says she had nothing to do, and then had a miscarriage. By series 3, the job determined the winner - expensive property matched Simon, and Lee matched selling to underground bosses. The highest flyers in series 5 and 6 were let go - probably because the job was too dull for them. and then Stella got it - and claimed she basically had nothing to do.

You are right, its not clear what its about. It seems to be about selecting who offers the quickest biggest bucks, or who is left with any decent proposal. Its not about who does best on task. its not about finding the small entrepreneur and scaling their efforts up either. The people with the best business sense haven't won for years either, and the people with most raw skill have been sent home - as they don't have the scale or experience he wants.

Its basically a case of don't be a trader, instructor, restaurant owner or cleaning company owner, but don't be a corporate highflyer either.You may win if you have a nailfile, botox needle, or something when nothing else is on offer.
    Forum Member
    Eve Elle wrote: »
    I feel like it's a two part deal. During their time on the show, candidates prove their business acumen. Whilst part two involves the assessment of their business idea. Granted, if they did part two first, it would save a lot of time. But then, I guess we wouldn't have much of a show.

But he doesn't do that. He's failed Katie on her business proposal. But kept Bianca and Solomon for much weaker records. And kept Daniel and Mark on terrible records - probably for exciting interview departures.
  • roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,927
    Forum Member
    Yes, the value of the show took a big step down unfortunately when the format changed from employee to partner.

Before, there was a pretense that all the tasks could act as an extended job interview - but right now the tasks are effectively fun days out and nothing more.

Those who have the best business plans (and are terrible at 90% of the tasks) simply have their bad stuff edited out during the tasks. But I'm pretty sure the winner is probably decided before the first episode. Or at least the most likely winner.

The person who is most likely to make Lord Sugar the most money could spend the 10 tasks jumping around doing nothing but chicken impressions and they'd still make it to the final.

It's a shame in a way. The show's definitely lost something because of it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 489
    Forum Member
    Alhough Katie as been one of the best candidates in this series, she was pretty bad tonight as a manager of a food task, in a business task where she might have demonstated why her business plan could work, and so it's understandable why she was fired.

Of the candidates that are remaining, I think we only know about one candidates business plan, Roisin's, which is ready-meals. Will Sugar go for that? Unlikely I think. He's more likely to invest in someone who has a more original and dynamic plan involving new technology, so perhaps Mark or Solomon's, from what we have been led to understand so far. As for Daniel and Bianca, I don't think we have been given any hints as to what they want the investment for, so it wil be interesting to see what that is next week!
  • jlighthijlighthi Posts: 1,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sugar changed the rules this week.
  • PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Exactly, shows how daft this new setup is, not alone wasting Katie's time but everyones including the viewers .

Sugar may just as well look at all their business plans at the beginning, interview them and pick the one he likes best , because thats what it comes down to in the end .
  • Matt_HarbinsonMatt_Harbinson Posts: 183
    Forum Member
    I know, this aspect annoys me as well. I thought Katie was very straight forward, intelligent and had good people skills but she was told her business wasn't workable in week 10. Lord Sugar also thought Sanjay's business idea was rubbish so he wasted his time showing up. Is LS so busy he can't choose 16-20 people in whose business idea he is interested. If he spends however many weeks with broadcasters etc surely this is a fairly important point. Also was anyone else surprised to see Ricky as interviewer next week? It will be hard for him to criticise when we all remember his interviews.
    Forum Member
    Merida wrote: »
    This was Katie's chance to prove her business plan could work. She wants to promote healthy eating - why not come up with a healthier than usual pudding? If she had done this and then won the task she'd still be in the process with some credibility.

But a healthy product would need research and expertise. In the real world , she would hire a nutritionist and a chef to work up a menu. She can't just go and invent a calorie light food.- she couldn't even claim it was low calorie without scientific proof. She might have brought a specimen recipe in with her, but she couldn't know he would want one for a rich pudding.

Its a bizarre task - because he rejects her on wanting to be too small scale, but the task requires her to be her own chef, nutritionist and food taster. She's not pretending to be a chef herself - she just wants to own a restaurant.

Its also a poorly thought out task again. Costs were raised as an a issue - as was taste. But the buyers said they would need to adjust everyone's food - so neither taste or cost mattered. In Katie's case it was a simple matter of taking out the saffron- yet she was attacked on costs and taste.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The production team will inspect the business plans, not Lord Sugar. A ten week tussle for a chance to pitch to big dawg. You get your foot in the door by impressing the elves, and you win the show by impressing Santa. During the "process," you show him your abilities, then show him your ideas.

It was probably a bit of a mistake focusing on their plans so much, this week, because he really did ignore the task in that last boardroom, but it usually seems like a clear and fair format. Even as someone who kind of wanted Katie to win this, I don't get everyone's problem.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 489
    Forum Member
    Saffron into a pudding is not a good idea.

Not only from a cost perspective. Saffron does not go with jelly and custard. It's a pretty daft mistake, regardless of how good she has been on other tasks. It's a pretty good example of how to commit suicide in the process.