Goldfrapp - whats going on?

Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,170
Forum Member
I adore Goldfrapp... so surprised that this album is not producing hit singles as its their most commercial sound and more like ohhla ... the album is fabulous....just like their previous albums....
they seem to be pop pioneers to me ... rocket should have been a top 10 hit surely? Why has alive been deleted? I dont get it....

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    I said this in another thread. Goldfrapp have only had 2 singles get into the top 10. They are not that successful with their singles.

This era hasn't really been picked up by radio at all, which is why the singles do nothing.

The album still went to number 6. However, it wasn't as strong of a seller as their previous two (Seventh Tree and Supernature), which went to number 2.

I think Felt Mountain and Seventh Tree are by far their best albums.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wasn't blown away by Headfirst to be honest but love all the other albums.

I wonder what they'll do next? Another chilled album? An experimental album? A dark album?

Doesn't sound like theiy're too happy in their current record company either.
  • Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,170
    Forum Member
    strangely I thought Seventh Tree was the weakest album apart from the wonderful A&E, for me Black Cherry/Supernature were my fave albums. Loved Felt Mountain too. But Seventh Tree is the one I listen to least. I felt that A&E did not represent the album ....still I love headfirst...my fave tracks are rocket, I wanna life and voicething
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Seventh Tree is amazing. I usually listen to it on a Sunday night after a heavy weekend. Just lie on my bed and listen to it from start to finish. Always chills me out. So many peopel have asked me too what is this amazing album you're playing lol.
    Forum Member
    There's always two sides to Goldfrapp. There's the camp electro-pop stuff and then the more folky-electro.

I prefer the latter, hence Felt Mountain and Seventh Tree are more appealing to me. I love Black Cherry and I think Head First is quite good, but I very rarely listen to Supernature and think it's their worse.

I also think they're not getting on with their label. They never gave them any money for music videos (well, very little).

I want the to do a darker album next. At least one thing we can say is that they always release something quite different to their previous release, which is great because I hate it when bands release the same tired shit over and over again.
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pharoah wrote: »
    I wasn't blown away by Headfirst to be honest but love all the other albums.

I wonder what they'll do next? Another chilled album? An experimental album? A dark album?

Doesn't sound like theiy're too happy in their current record company either.

I agree with you, especially your first point...I hope their next album will be more akin to their first 2 albums (my favourites), but without being carbon copies..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with you, especially your first point...I hope their next album will be more akin to their first 2 albums (my favourites), but without being carbon copies..

It's going to be difficult now because with their distinct Goldfrapp sound they've covered all bases - pop, chill out, dark , experimental, dance etc. What can they really do now that would be new?
    Forum Member
    I don't think anyone expected Goldfrapp to come out with the 80s sound that they did recently, so they can go anywhere.

In fact, Seventh Tree was 70s inspired, Head First 80s inspired, so following that trend they should release a 90s inspired album :p
  • VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
    Forum Member
    Don't understand why this album has underperformed - Rocket is quite possibly their most commercial sounding lead single - yet radio ignored it for some strange reason, especially with the likes of Lady Blabla domineering the airwaves. Bizarre.
    I've got tickets for the tour in November....v excited to see them live for the first time (despite loving them for 10 years)
    Taking each album as a whole - I too find Seventh Tree my least favourite - some top tunes on there (A&E, Cologne Cerrone Houdini, Some People) and I love the artwork and imagery...there's just quite a few OK songs.
    I ADORE Head First - Rocket, Dreaming, I Wanna Life and the sublime Voicething.

I'd rank the albums....

Black Cherry
    Head First
    Felt Mountain
    Supernature
    Seventh Tree
    Forum Member
    Oooh, I forgot I have a ticket to see them later this year :)

That week is going to be awesome for me. Skunk Anansie and Goldfrapp within 1 week. Amazing!
  • CRMCRM Posts: 11,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    VoodooChic wrote: »
    Don't understand why this album has underperformed - Rocket is quite possibly their most commercial sounding lead single - yet radio ignored it for some strange reason...

The reason is that they're "old". Radio 1's policy (not that they'll ever state it publically) is not to playlist songs by anyone outside of the demographic that they think listens to Radio 1 - i.e. anyone over 30.
  • coollistcoollist Posts: 136
    Forum Member
    CRM wrote: »
    The reason is that they're "old". Radio 1's policy (not that they'll ever state it publically) is not to playlist songs by anyone outside of the demographic that they think listens to Radio 1 - i.e. anyone over 30.

I think Radio 1 is disgraceful and we really shouldn't listen to it. There is no choice of music whatsoever - it is run like a dictatorship.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm 17 and have been a fan of Goldfrapp since the song A&E. I caught some of her performance from the iTunes Festival and had to say she was actually quite good live, I expected her to be one of those acts who don't quite deliver live but she looked and sounded fantastic. Its a shame Alive failed, possibly her next single Believer will do a little better, I think are all deserved top 20 hits but it seems Radio 1 is letting them down.
  • ohiromeohirome Posts: 2,751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I havent listened to their album since it came out - I find it gets old very quickly. :(
    Forum Member
    James__B wrote: »
    I'm 17 and have been a fan of Goldfrapp since the song A&E. I caught some of her performance from the iTunes Festival and had to say she was actually quite good live, I expected her to be one of those acts who don't quite deliver live but she looked and sounded fantastic. Its a shame Alive failed, possibly her next single Believer will do a little better, I think are all deserved top 20 hits but it seems Radio 1 is letting them down.

Goldfrapp are amazing live, and Alison has such a good singing voice (it's got a lot better as they've progressed, too).

They're on tour later this year - November - but the closest to you is probably Brighton or London.

It's not just Radio One's fault, though. Most of Goldfrapp's material is ignored by them. I think in this case the label haven't been behind the project as much as they needed to be.

Goldfrapp should just continue to make great music and tours. That'll keep them in the business. There's less money to be made in selling music now. It's all about live performances.
  • bathlampbathlamp Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    . I think in this case the label haven't been behind the project as much as they needed to be.

I think this is what's going on. Their record label seem to have decided to cut down promotion for this album. Will Gregory said in a recent interview that their record label had wanted to put out a "Goldfrapp Greatest Hits" album after Seventh Tree but he & Alison wanted to do another album first. I wonder if their record label are wanting to let this album die just so they can put out a Greatest Hits as soon as possible after.
    Forum Member
    Greatest hits, eugh!
  • LadyCakeLadyCake Posts: 3,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved "Felt Mountain" and was disappointed when they changed style a bit. The last "album" I bought was "Black Cherry" and the last Goldfrap song I loved was "You never know".
    I think Alison Goldfrapp is really underrated as a singer ! I should try and listen to their new songs
    Forum Member
    LadyCake wrote: »
    I loved "Felt Mountain" and was disappointed when they changed style a bit. The last "album" I bought was "Black Cherry" and the last Goldfrap song I loved was "You never know".
    I think Alison Goldfrapp is really underrated as a singer ! I should try and listen to their new songs

I think you should try Seventh Tree in that case. It's more folky-electro than camp-electro like their popular stuff. The singles from this album don't really reflect the entire feel of it.

Supernature is the only album of their I am not too fond of.

Felt Mountain is probably my favourite. The reason I really like them is because they constantly change their sound but keep within the "Goldfrapp" range; I mean, you can tell it's Goldfrapp but neither album is the same.
  • LadyCakeLadyCake Posts: 3,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you should try Seventh Tree in that case. It's more folky-electro than camp-electro like their popular stuff. The singles from this album don't really reflect the entire feel of it.

Supernature is the only album of their I am not too fond of.

Felt Mountain is probably my favourite. The reason I really like them is because they constantly change their sound but keep within the "Goldfrapp" range; I mean, you can tell it's Goldfrapp but neither album is the same.

I suppose I like songs that sound like "Pilots" and "Felt Mountain" or the more dirty sound of "Tiptoe".
    I'll definitely you tube them . Not sure why i've not kept up but I don't watch much tv now.
    Forum Member
    LadyCake wrote: »
    I suppose I like songs that sound like "Pilots" and "Felt Mountain" or the more dirty sound of "Tiptoe".
    I'll definitely you tube them . Not sure why i've not kept up but I don't watch much tv now.

You probably won't find them on TV now, not on music channels anyway.

They did do Jonathan Ross before the new album was released but as far as I know, that was the entire content of their TV promotion.

Their new album is very 80s - it's not dark or subtle, but I like what it is.

You can listen to their full albums online (free and legal :p)

Seventh Tree - This is more in the same style as Felt Mountain (the album), but not entirely. It's a different album but more subtle and folky.

Head First - Very 80s, poppy, but it's a good album. It's quite camp like Supernature, but not in the same style.

I think you've heard the original 3 already :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,032
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love Goldfrapp (I'll be seeing them at V Festival) whether they're being moody, folky or poppy but Head First was the musical equivalent of treading water and sounded under-developed to me and not just because it had 9 songs.
    It also trod the same ground Erasure covered 20 years ago. Indeed, it's telling that Vince Clarke has remixed Believer.
    Maybe it's time for the group to stop competing with yer Pixie Lott's and experiment again.
  • VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
    Forum Member
    Granny72 wrote: »
    Love Goldfrapp (I'll be seeing them at V Festival) whether they're being moody, folky or poppy but Head First was the musical equivalent of treading water and sounded under-developed to me and not just because it had 9 songs.
    It also trod the same ground Erasure covered 20 years ago. Indeed, it's telling that Vince Clarke has remixed Believer.
    Maybe it's time for the group to stop competing with yer Pixie Lott's and experiment again.

Sure it's very the sound of "now" with the whole 80's vibe....but I think it's distinctively Goldfrapp - the hooks, the swagger, the voice.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,032
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VoodooChic wrote: »
    Sure it's very the sound of "now" with the whole 80's vibe....but I think it's distinctively Goldfrapp - the hooks, the swagger, the voice.

Yes but they've been there before with Black Cherry (still their best stab at a retro synth/disco pop album) and Supernature. At least Seventh Tree tried something different for a change and was very good for it.
    Forum Member
    I have a love-hate relationship with HEad First. Sometimes I think "gargh, too cheesy" and then other times I really love it.

The house is empty so I'm going to put it on full blast now :D:o