Options

What the hell can I buy my 88 year old gran?

Comments

• Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where have half the posts gone? It's pc gorn mad.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vosne wrote: »
    A video nasty? Be memorable. All the family sitting around in the cosy glow watching Driller Killer or Cannibal Holocaust.
    There are probably mods out there for those ... :D
  • Options
    Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bex_123 wrote: »
    Fancy bubble baths?

My Nan loved those.

My mum is 83 and she wouldn't be able to get in and out of a bath. They have a walk in shower. She also doesn't use shower gels cos it makes the shower tray slippery.

Just something the OP might want to consider with a very elderly lady.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mum is 83 and she wouldn't be able to get in and out of a bath. They have a walk in shower. She also doesn't use shower gels cos it makes the shower tray slippery.

Never know, she could be pretty active.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought an elderly relative a book of bygone times from our town, like full of history and old photos from the olden days

That's a really nice idea, DB :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A_Zombie wrote: »
    Never know, she could be pretty active.

Oh absolutely - just something that the OP needs to find out, is all.
  • Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

My nan sadly couldn't stand at all but had to be hoisted into bath etc.

She used to say that's why she appreciated the nice bath stuff, it just made the experience that bit nicer. So I was actually thinking of someone not so mobile. Forgot they often have the shower instead though.
  • Options
    DMN1968DMN1968 Posts: 2,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh absolutely - just something that the OP needs to find out, is all.

Indeed. My Granddad was 85 when we got him a "flying lesson" for his birthday. Although he had flown on airliners many times, and in WW2 and Korea, it was the first time he was ever able to see his town where he lived all his life from the air. And he flew much of the flight himself. And he loved every minute of it.
  • Options
    evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    Ladies like jewellery, and ladies of your gran's age like brooches. I've had a good search around the net looking for vintage 9ct gold and gemstone brooches at around £100 and this elegant Vintage Victorian Style 9ct Gold Brooch set with Amethyst & Seed Pearls looks to be good value for the price: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Victorian-Style-9ct-Gold-Brooch-set-with-Amethyst-Seed-Pearls-/131058681235?pt=UK_Jewellery_Watches_VintageFineJewellery_CA&hash=item1e83b4c593
  • Options
    Sally7Sally7 Posts: 1,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe some notecards, or a selection of general use cards eg Birthday, sympathy, blank, thank you etc, and packs of stamps if she likes keeping in touch with folk.....postage costs a lot nowadays!

Or a subscription to a newspaper or magazine. Or arrange for a newspaper to be delivered daily/at weekends.

Make her a window box or a tub for outside the front door with heathers or spring bulbs.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Helicopter flight?

Horse drawn barge trip on a canal?

Pair of Pince Nez glasses?

Years subscription to National Trust?
  • Options
    WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A duvet. Something special like an Alpaca duvet - warm and light :)
  • Options
    Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Give her your time. It's the one thing that means more than anything. And a soft pashmina or wrap.
  • Options
    albertdalbertd Posts: 14,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How about something like these diffusers? Quite nice to leave on a shelf in the loo or bathroom.
  • Options
    doormousedoormouse Posts: 2,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does she like reading?
  • Options
    AnitaSAnitaS Posts: 4,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought my gran an mp3 player and downloaded about 100 old songs for her, she thought it was magical, that such a tiny thing had all her gramophone records inside it. I bought speakers for it, as well as headphones and she loved it.
  • Options
    doormousedoormouse Posts: 2,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AnitaS wrote: »
    I bought my gran an mp3 player and downloaded about 100 old songs for her, she thought it was magical, that such a tiny thing had all her gramophone records inside it. I bought speakers for it, as well as headphones and she loved it.

That's really sweet.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We give a small hamper of everyday and luxury foods to the elders in the family include loo rolls etc and they have all loved it as they can then spend the money they save on their next shopping bill on something they can't normally afford to buy. Usually a bottle of something warming :D
  • Options
    zelanazelana Posts: 4,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As your gran is a knitter maybe she'd like a knitting bowl. I'd love one of these http://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/KernowCrafts
  • Options
    denzldenzl Posts: 871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if she's of the 1950's hollywood era generation, she may appreciate one of these http://www.openbottomgirdles.co.uk/high-waist-vintage-panty-girdle-extra-firm-p-261.html
  • Options
    justatechjustatech Posts: 976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ahrimaniac wrote: »
    I know that's an oddly specific question, and I know it's hard for anyone to suggest without knowing her, but I'm really stuck this year!

She has quite honestly got everything that I can think of. She's very old fashioned and likes traditional things, but I'm buggered if I can think of anything that she'd like that she doesn't already have!

Any suggestions...

Same problem with my grandparents. They already have all the 'stuff' they could possibly want so I've bought granddad some bed socks because he has Raynaud's Disease and Grandmother is getting a foot stool to keep her legs raised high enough to let her swollen legs go down a bit!

I'm also putting together a food hamper with luxury versions of the foods that they normally have. So most of the stuff is coming from Harrods, - which has some gorgeous jam and marmalade - and M&S. It's really just the sort of stuff they like on an afternoon, with some cake or biscuits and sweets and chocolate. Gorgeous. It was like opening a school tuck box when the delivery came from Harrods! And I wished that I'd ordered some for myself.

I bought a basket, straw filling and cellophane wrapper with a card and ribbon to put it all in from EBay and I'm quite happy they will love it when they open it on Christmas Day.
  • Options
    postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not far away from that age and what I would love most of all would be a pamper day. A manicure and pedicure, and someone to wax these pesky pig bristles from my chin. No matter how old we are, small things like unsightly nails and gawd rot them, these blasted facial hairs really upset me
  • Options
    burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A subscription to The Peoples Friend
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's a really nice idea, DB :)

I got the idea from here when I asked a similar question :D
  • Options
    bostin_austinbostin_austin Posts: 810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My mum is in her 80's. This year, amongst other things, I have bought her a jigsaw puzzle, Pam Ayres book, Calendar, a couple of books to read, a couple of classical voices cds and a paint by numbers for adults as she likes painting. I tried to get her stuff that would keep her busy over the winter months when she can't get out. Also got her the obligatory bottle of brandy and chocolates and I'll give her some money too, to help her out. It is really difficult to know what t get at this age,