Being told 'you've put on weight'

SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,244
Forum Member
Honestly, if someone were to say this to you how do you take it?

I have had it in the past, over the Winter I don't feel like going out so much so the belt goes out a notch and I go up a few pounds. When some acquaintance has said this I feel a small spike of irritability but know its the truth. I reply with something like 'yes I know'.
I'm aiming to not snack over Christmas this year as working it off is harder than putting it on :p

So how do you take such comments?

Comments

• bookcoverbookcover Posts: 6,216
    Forum Member
    Soundbox wrote: »
    Honestly, if someone were to say this to you how do you take it?

I have had it in the past, over the Winter I don't feel like going out so much so the belt goes out a notch and I go up a few pounds. When some acquaintance has said this I feel a small spike of irritability but know its the truth. I reply with something like 'yes I know'.
    I'm aiming to not snack over Christmas this year as working it off is harder than putting it on :p

So how do you take such comments?

I hate people that make personal comments about other people...so I would probably say something rather catty in return like "thank you for noticing, I use you as my role model" :p
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If someone says "Ooh you're looking well" I take that to mean I look like I've out on weight! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    Doesn't bother me cos i know myself when i've put on or lost weight.

I went from over 18 stone down to about 9 stone & am back up to about 12 & a half but know i'm not overweight for my height & age so don't care if i'm putting a little bit of weight on or not.

It's better to have a little bit of fat on u anyway in case anything bad happens.
  • HystericGlamourHystericGlamour Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    I love it! I'm generally underweight as I find it difficult to put weight on - despite eating as much as I want. So being told I've put weight on usually equates with "lookin' good".
  • Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    I'd usually take it as a compliment as I've been underweight most of my life but in the last 5 years I have actually started gaining weight, probably due to medication, idleness, and approaching middle age. I've never worried about calories or my weight as my problems (and therefore individual focus) lies in other areas really. I've always just ate whatever I want but I generally don't have a big appetite and don't need much food.
  • azaleaazalea Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    As long as your happy I think that's all that matters. Honestly you can never really win as far as weight is concerned. I lost some this year, from 9 1/2 - 8 1/2 I had loads of comments that I looked unwell or what was I trying to achieve. Truth was I'm just more active over the summer months and it naturally just comes of. I get to this time of the year and put it back on and then some and I get comments such as 'you've let it go a bit'.
    Can't win!
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    I usually respond with "and you've still got a big mouth." :D

But the comment that really annoys me is when people tell me I've had a haircut. It's something that happens fairly regularly so it's not a major event but there's always some idiot at work who will stand in front of me and say "You've had a haircut." Yes, I know. I was there at the time.
  • DangermooseDangermoose Posts: 67,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love it! I'm generally underweight as I find it difficult to put weight on - despite eating as much as I want. So being told I've put weight on usually equates with "lookin' good".

Oh me too! I'm elated if I hear that. Sadly at the moment I keep hearing "have you lost weight?" :(
  • culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Living in an obesogenic society like ours, people are increasingly losing the ability to recognise what a normal healthy weight should be.

The problem is too little honest feedback, rather than too much.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    My uncle told me I had put on weight after a holiday. I just looked him straight in the eye and said something like I know I have, but don't worry it won't take me long to lose the weight. It's a shame your ugliness will be around forever. This made me the worst person in the world, and he's still waiting for ME to apologize to him. He told the truth, I had gained weight. I told the truth, he's an ugly bastard.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I actually had put on weight then I'd just consider it a statement of the obvious and wouldn't feel anything about it at all, unless it was an attempt to humiliate me, in which case I would make sure they regretted it.
  • SILLY SUESILLY SUE Posts: 5,499
    Forum Member
    This thread gives me the chance to share my good news. It concerns my Mum as she's been underweight since she had a stroke a few years ago. I was surprised when the nurse gave us a progress report with details of her weight over the last couple of years. She's steadily put on weight and is now a more respectable weight for her height and build. :) Mum's pleased she's put on weight; and it's thanks in part to the special diet she's on and her love for Maltesers. :D
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I put my foot in it last week! :(. A young woman I know has a little girl of nearly 3. She came towards me with the child and she had a huge fat belly and I said "great, you're having another baby then." She said she was still carrying all the weight she put on with the first one!! I felt awful because she's a nice girl and I don't see her that often.
  • Chuck WaoChuck Wao Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sootysoo wrote: »
    My uncle told me I had put on weight after a holiday. I just looked him straight in the eye and said something like I know I have, but don't worry it won't take me long to lose the weight. It's a shame your ugliness will be around forever. This made me the worst person in the world, and he's still waiting for ME to apologize to him. He told the truth, I had gained weight. I told the truth, he's an ugly bastard.

lovely family:)
  • SurferfishSurferfish Posts: 7,659
    Forum Member
    What about the reverse situation when someone has lost weight (for the better)?

Is it nice to tell someone that you've noticed they've lost weight, or is it rude to imply that you think they used to be fat? :confused:
  • Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    johnF1971 wrote: »
    What about the reverse situation when someone has lost weight (for the better)?

Is it nice to tell someone that you've noticed they've lost weight, or is it rude to imply that you think they used to be fat? :confused:

I just leave body shape alone. Commenting on such things only increases the chances of getting someone obsessed (or more obsessed) with the whole issue if they happen to have a complex about that type of thing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    Chuck Wao wrote: »
    lovely family:)

That was one of the nicer exchanges. ;-)
  • Harper_MilneHarper_Milne Posts: 2,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you guys are lucky people tell you.

i never know when i've put on weight... noone tells me and for some reason i dont notice it, until that sad day when i cant fit in any of my clothes and my BMI says I'm overweight :(
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member

I've got a cousin who seems to spend any family get-together pointing out everyone's imperfections as loudly as possible. It's different when she's on the receiving end though. Funny how the ones who can dish it out can never take it.
  • kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    Having an Indian family and a Caribbean family in law I am used to constant comments about my weight either when I've lost it or put it on. I don't use scales anymore just learn my weight at the Sunday family dinner instead.
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Good for you. That was very similar to what my response would be too. Back atc'hya, uncle.

"Let's make a pact. I'll lose some weight and you learn some manners!"
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kitty86 wrote: »
    Having an Indian family and a Caribbean family in law I am used to constant comments about my weight either when I've lost it or put it in. I don't use scales anymore just learn my weight at the Sunday family dinner instead.

Sorry, but that did raise a smile :)
  • ste likes boobsste likes boobs Posts: 677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    I put my foot in it last week! :(. A young woman I know has a little girl of nearly 3. She came towards me with the child and she had a huge fat belly and I said "great, you're having another baby then." She said she was still carrying all the weight she put on with the first one!! I felt awful because she's a nice girl and I don't see her that often.

This happened to a colleague of mine a few weeks back.

I was surprised people still assume someone who's fat is pregnant. I just thought it was just used on TV and in movies for a cheap laugh.
  • DangermooseDangermoose Posts: 67,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This happened to a colleague of mine a few weeks back.

I was surprised people still assume someone who's fat is pregnant. I just thought it was just used on TV and in movies for a cheap laugh.

I'm ashamed to admit I was once guilty of this with an old school mate .... but it genuinely did look like a baby bump. She never spoke to me again ... oops!
  • nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would be gutted right now if someone told me I've put on weight, I've lost nearly 7 stone in 2 years, going from a size 24 to a size 12.