Options

Rory Williams. The Master in disguise?

tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was just searching online and came across this:

http://www.allonsykimberly.com/2012/08/is-rory-williams-master.html

What do you think? Is Rory actually the Master? We have seen the Master disguised as someone else, who didn't realise he was the Master. Until he opened the Fob Watch that is.

It would be a real shock to fans if we did find out that Rory is really the Master.

It would change everything that we have known about Rory since 2010.

What do you think? Is he the Master, or is what they are saying on the web link, just speculation?

Personally I'd love it if Steven Moffat did write an episode revealing RW as the Master.

Comments

• Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Rory isn't the Master. It would completely undermine the character work from Series 5 to 7(regardless of whether you like Rory or not) and to be honest sounds like lazy fan-fiction that once again fails to think outside of the box. Why does every character have to be another character in disguise, or be in cahoots with an enemy of yesteryear - Harriet Jones being the Red Supreme Dalek in Journey's End, Donna being Romana, the Dream Lord being the Valeyard... so many people seem adamant to take the big, wide Whoniverse and stuff it into a tiny, unimaginative space where we just go in an endless cycle of recycled concepts. I have my issues with Moffat, but it's insulting to even think he'd pull a stunt like that...because no credible writer would.

As for that article, lets look at all their "supporting points"...

Rory gets a banging in his head in Let's Kill Hitler:
    Well firstly we've changed from a drumbeat to a generic banging to try and support this far-fetched notion. Secondly, the expanded quote is "Is anyone finding this day just a bit difficult? I'm getting a sort of banging in my head". In context of the scene where he's just found out his long-lost daughter is one of his closest friends, and also a psychopath, and also River Song... I think you'd have to be very slow on the uptake not to realise that this is just a simple throwaway comment about the madness going on in the moment, supported by the quotes that followed. There's no link to The Master, there's no allusion to The Master, there's nothing in the plot that ties in with The Master, and the casual viewer is not going to remember this kind of passing dialogue several years later so it is never going to be a credible source of fore-telling.

Rory keeps dying, but keeps coming back. There must be something Timelordy.
    Umm, no there isn't. There is absolutely nothing Timelord about that at all. Aside from the fact that Timelords are not the only beings to have been brought back from the dead in Doctor Who, the fact is that Timelords don't decay and die, they regenerate. Rory has never regenerated, never shown any signs or indications that he is remotely not human (aside from when he was an Auton). In fact this very idea shoots itself in the foot... if he's being all Timelordy with his constant returns then that surely contradicts the fact that he's fob-watched himself and become human to hide an identity. Another incredibly ludicrous bending of facts to promote a ridiculous piece of fan-wank.

Rory and Amy's daughter, River, is half-Timelord.
    Again, if he's disguised as human then he's going to have human children...end of. Only he's not disguised as human at all, he just happens to be human through and through and no indication was made that either Amy or Rory were remotely non-human either. A Good Man Goes to War gave an explanation for how Melody gained her Timelord traits... you can like or dislike the explanation, but to dismiss that explanation to conceive this tosh is stretching incredulity.

Rory doesn't have a room in The God Complex
    An actually interesting point this one, though I still fail to see how it would at all tie into The Master being his true identity. When The Doctor became John Smith he was a fully-fledged human with loves, ambitions, knowledge, fears and desires. There isn't a justifiable reason for Rory not having a door that ties in with this theory at all. The episode gives a possible explanation, and it's fun to speculate upon it further. But after two thousand years as The Lone Centurion, multiple deaths, and his adventures with The Doctor across Series 5 and 6 I would struggle to find a suitable thing to scare Rory.

Behind the Doctor's door...the cloister bells in The God Complex
    This one has since been explained since by The Time of the Doctor. All the same, it doesn't explicitly support this theory any more than, say, Rory secretly being The Rani in disguise. And lets not start on that one too!

The Doctor mentions The Master in A Town Called Mercy
    So we get a passing mention of The Master in an episode that features Rory, so therefore he could be The Master. Very well... I've deducted that River Song may very well be a Sontaran after The Doctor mentioned them in Silence in the Library. This is where I mention how much I miss the :rolleyes:

Lets abandon this idea in favour of Rory being the half-Timelord son of The Master and Lucy Saxon.
    No tell you what...Rory can be The Master. I take it all back, please.

All in all, there's reading too much into things and then there's this. No disrespect to the OP or anything but this is the sort of idea that would come from someone writing a very typical fan fiction. If Moffat ever does this, I promise to eat a TARDIS in one sitting.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rory is fully established and developed character. Such thing would spoil whole seasons 5 and 6.

Although, the idea of Master having false identity IS very good. Maybe they could introduce some new mysterious character and later current Master (after at least one more story with John Simm as the Master!!!!) regenerates into new character.
  • Options
    Capaldi_CapaldiCapaldi_Capaldi Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    In the link it says we have not seen the master since series 3, what about The End of Time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    It sounds brilliant, but keep Rory as who he was so it doesn't ruin everything season 5-7. Maybe the master could have been dormant in his head, and now he's gone the master has moved through time in the 'hosts' head to eventually face the doctor again.
    What? Just an idea...
  • Options
    adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiggerpooh wrote: »
    I was just searching online and came across this:

http://www.allonsykimberly.com/2012/08/is-rory-williams-master.html

What do you think? Is Rory actually the Master? We have seen the Master disguised as someone else, who didn't realise he was the Master. Until he opened the Fob Watch that is.

It would be a real shock to fans if we did find out that Rory is really the Master.

It would change everything that we have known about Rory since 2010.

What do you think? Is he the Master, or is what they are saying on the web link, just speculation?

Personally I'd love it if Steven Moffat did write an episode revealing RW as the Master.

Ha ha ha ha! :D

This is a wind up surely? No-one could reasonably believe such a nonsensical theory...
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What...?
    No.
  • Options
    Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Er no.

Fun theory though.
  • Options
    Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No it would ruin the memories we have of him. If the master does come back it should be JS or a new casting. Possibly an more mature master to face a more mature doctor.
  • Options
    Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I was taleneted enough I would make up some song lyrics here to be sng in a Louis Armstrong voice. It would start like

"I shee patterns a lot, oh timey wimey ...."
  • Options
    Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, that theory did the rounds in the early part of season 6 and I assume the article is from that time. Obviously, it turned out to be inaccurate.